Packers re-sign Neal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2-years, $8M w/ $2.5M signing bonus

It could be good (if he plays and produces) or bad (if he continues to get injured). Nothing exciting.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2-years, $8M w/ $2.5M signing bonus

It could be good (if he plays and produces) or bad (if he continues to get injured). Nothing exciting.

Low risk potentially solid reward on this one. Jason Wilde is bullish on Neal and thinks he has found a home at OLB. Time will tell

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See but this is my problem and it's the same problem I have with Raji... I get that these guys have natural position completely but this is the NFL and they're getting paid a lot of money to do a job. Both of these guys were drafted in the 1st round so it's not like they are talentless. Both IMO should be able to figure it the hell out and adapt to their situations. Raji has no excuse for his inability to be effective in a new position IMO, but Perry has been injured so I will give him a slight pass as his development has been stunted somewhat.

Josh Sitton was a RG, they flipped him over to LG and he admittidly said that it was a weird transition at first but guess what he figured it out.
Perry and Raji are two different situations. Perry is young and learning, he has everything to prove at this point. Raji was an impact player in his 2nd year. He often dominated whatever the offensive line threw at him. Now, not so much. Whatever is the issue, it has nothing to do with talent or understanding. It is either injury or lack of motivation.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
According to rotoworld:
3/12/2014: Signed a two-year, $8 million contract. The deal included a $2.5 million signing bonus. 2014: $2 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $1.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2016: Free Agent
It's higher than I expected too. Neal gets $4.5M to $4.8M this season. If he doesn't work out, they can release him before the March 2015 bonus is due and incur a $1.25M cap hit.

In one story on Neal I read he was second on the team last year with 30 pressures and rotoworld reports he led the team with 37. That's why there was some interest in him and why he got paid. I expect he'll spend some time as an interior rusher as well as OLB. I hope both he and Matthews are moved around quite a bit this season.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
According to rotoworld: It's higher than I expected too. Neal gets $4.5M to $4.8M this season. If he doesn't work out, they can release him before the March 2015 bonus is due and incur a $1.25M cap hit.

In one story on Neal I read he was second on the team last year with 30 pressures and rotoworld reports he led the team with 37. That's why there was some interest in him and why he got paid. I expect he'll spend some time as an interior rusher as well as OLB. I hope both he and Matthews are moved around quite a bit this season.

Higher than I expected, but then I expected it to be higher than I expected. :tdown:

I am actually happy to have Neal back. If the Packers are not going to shake things up on D with some proven "instant starter" additions, then they need to ensure that they don't lose what they got. Neal did ok last year. He has low odds of a Pro Bowl-level season, but one can say this about the entire defensive unit (except for Clay).

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hooray! The defense just got better with nick Perry sr back in the fold. Now let's see who can guess how many games he will miss! I'll go with 5.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

3/12/2014: Signed a two-year, $8 million contract. The deal included a $2.5 million signing bonus. 2014: $2 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $1.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus due in March + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses)

According to rotoworld: It's higher than I expected too. Neal gets $4.5M to $4.8M this season. If he doesn't work out, they can release him before the March 2015 bonus is due and incur a $1.25M cap hit.

If those numbers are correct he would have a cap hit of $3.55 million in 2014 and $4.05 million in 2015. I think somehow there are $400K missing though.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walden got 4mil a year for four years, and I think Neal brings more to the dance all day. We got the same price as Walden with way less risk. Good for us.

MrE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is the contract 2 years and 8 million total with 2.5 included or in addition to that. The way this has been worded is quite confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So is the contract 2 years and 8 million total with 2.5 included or in addition to that. The way this has been worded is quite confusing.

The $2.5 million signing bonus is included in the total of $8 million.

MrE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems a bit high, but it could also be a bargain. Neal's game really evolved this year, and he was reasonably healthy. Both parties have renewed confidence (packers brass and Neal himself). I wouldn't be surprise to see two solid average to above average years for him. Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk