Packers re-sign Kevin King

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I also agree with this, but I think we just entered a pool where likelihood of a CB at 29 lessoned for sure.

Seems to me that Gutekunst tries his best to us FA in such a way that he's not married to any position on draft day. And I love that about him.

So I guess I don't think CB at #29 is any more or less likely than it was yesterday.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that Gutekunst tries his best to us FA in such a way that he's not married to any position on draft day. And I love that about him.

So I guess I don't think CB at #29 is any more or less likely than it was yesterday.

This move levels the needs some making BPA far more justified IMO but I see what you mean.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How in the world can you justify 6 million for King when the Packers are crunched by the cap and King is easily replaced by a much cheaper alternative? The only thing that makes any sense would be to cut him later if Gute can find a decent DB in the draft. That would be unfair to King. He needs to play for the Vikings or Bears.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If you think King is good, fine. If you think King is bad, fine. But taking Ryan Wood's word on evaluating talent is not fine at all.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Looks like OT is now round 1 priority. DE in the 2nd. CB now 3rd round need. Me thinks there will still be a pretty good one at 92. This now brings WR and another OL as my 4th round hopes. IDL and ILB in the 5th. Pass catching motion type RB in the 6th. Use the other 6th to move up earlier if needed. If no trade get a DB there.
If one of the 6ths are traded get your 2nd DB in the 7th otherwise a KR with that last pick.
It’s impossible to say what position the Packers will go after in the first round, but one would make a strong argument that DL is the most glaring need, especially when the draft talent is limited.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s impossible to say what position the Packers will go after in the first round, but one would make a strong argument that DL is the most glaring need, especially when the draft talent is limited.

Several needs:

Cornerback.
Defensive line.
Offensive line.
Wide receiver.
Inside linebacker.

What Gute & Company are thinking is anyone's guess.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Several needs:

Cornerback.
Defensive line.
Offensive line.
Wide receiver.
Inside linebacker.

It will certainly not be someone I’ve chosen in the draft contest.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Several needs:

Cornerback.
Defensive line.
Offensive line.
Wide receiver.
Inside linebacker.

Imagine if Gute trades up in the first round and....grabs a QB. People would literally lose their sh*t.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what we could all find "solace" in is that we are returning the entire secondary that made the NFCCG back to back minus Redmond and Greene, who couldn't catch a cold if he stood outside at Lambeau in January in his knickerbockers. They're probably looking for Scott(PFF - 57.4) and Henry (PFF - 64.0) to step up from their 2020 seasons to replace them. Plus we got guys on the PS that include Stanford Samuels, Kabian Ento, and new entry Innis Gaines.

So despite King still being here, even if he doesn't get better, there's reason for hope that this unit improves. Plus, if we can get the DL or LB corps to improve, that could make this secondary look better than it really is.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of now the only ones from last years defense (meaningful snaps) not on the roster are Kirksey and Greene.
From the offense J. Williams, Wagner, Linsley & an injured Bakh. They have similar players to replace the 2 defensive guys but could definitely use upgrades in the draft. Dillon will replace Williams. Those other 3 guys are counted on to protect the single most important piece of the franchise. There is only one player that if he is out for any length of time that the season is lost. I don't care when Bakh comes back but it will not mean a thing if Rodgers is not healthy. I don't mean just a season ending injury but even a performance hindering one will make things tough. LT is by far the top priority. Round 1 pick 29. Hopefully this guy can play right tackle once Bakh is healthy. They need to grab another OL in the 4th round. Hopefully 1 of the 6 guys I like last until 29.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this pretty much guarantees that if any OT worth a damn is there at our pick at the end of the first, they're coming to cheese land.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you think King is good, fine. If you think King is bad, fine. But taking Ryan Wood's word on evaluating talent is not fine at all.
Just pointing out a packer insider liked him

King has horrible games no doubt. But as I said in December, he was going to be re signed...he has been batlting injury after injury..

ive heard they use those as an excuse for some of the issues but like him and think he can turn it around.
Just cuz I point out what someone has said, doesnt mean I agree.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just going to say I hate the move he sucked when it mattered most last year and has never been a great corner in any season with us.

There are many options I'd have preferred in Free Agency several of which I wouldn't be surprised if were signed for relatively cheap later on as well as several CB's I like in the draft.

6 million is to much money but it will likely be all incentives so unless it somehow turn out thats not the case that doesn't bother me much however I really felt we needed to UPGRADE CB2 not just maintain the status quo and it appears likely we won't be doing that this year at least.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how to feel about this one. He was not good last year but either was Preston, Kenny, or any of the ILB’s. This D has a lot of talent and doesn’t need much. Drafting a stud DT to collapse the pocket or a beast of an ILB will help everyone. The King signing doesn’t prevent us from drafting a falling CB. It only allows us to stick to our board.