Packers re-sign Kevin King

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOT A FAN - we don't have to focus on CB in the draft as high as I've been planning however.

I think a OT at 29 is looking VERY VERY possible more and more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wasn't completely opposed to brining him back, but it's a bit rich for my blood. Often injured and too many lows that are too low in his level of play.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I TOLD YALL!!!!

Again, like @tynimiller said(starting to learn from the master huh?) this takes stress off the Packers to reach high in the Draft for a CB, there is a possibility that Samuel and Newsome could be gone. Or maybe an OT that was expected to go higher falls to them at 29th. Or maybe Packers fans will finally get the 1st Round WR they always begged for.

Despite a play that will likely define his career for awhile, King did have a pretty decent 2nd half, until of course the final play that won the game for the Bucs.

I do agree that it was too rich of a contract in my opinion as well, I was expecting more in the realm of $4M/Yr.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sweet! So now any receivers that the Packers face that are slow, bad, and not physical will be taken care of.

I hate this.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a one year deal, we’re going to draft a cb high to play behind him for a year. I like the signing, there are much worse options than king.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a one year deal, we’re going to draft a cb high to play behind him for a year. I like the signing, there are much worse options than king.

2 sets of players to play behind King. His replacement and the other teams WR corp.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I like having a veteran to bridge, I just don't like that it's King because of how poor he's been.

Hopefully he will be healthy and therefore serviceable in 2021.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a lot of King angst for obvious reasons, but 6 million (no idea how this is structured or how much is guaranteed) is not excessive in this market. It being a one -year 'prove-it' deal also gives the Pack some options.

He's like 25 or 26? Better than bringing in some north of 30+ corner and overpaying....I can live with this.

Green Bay still needs a long-term solution at cornerback however, but I imagine that will have to wait until the end of April.

Sky not falling.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly though I was going to be rick rolled but nope, apparently the entire Packers organization is as stupid as Pettine’s play calling with seconds to go in the in the first half of the NFCCG.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is a lot of King angst for obvious reasons, but 6 million (no idea how this is structured or how much is guaranteed) is not excessive in this market. It being a one -year 'prove-it' deal also gives the Pack some options.

He's like 25 or 26? Better than bringing in some north of 30+ corner and overpaying....I can live with this.

Green Bay still needs a long-term solution at cornerback however, but I imagine that will have to wait until the end of April.

Sky not falling.

Its not, and they will draft a future replacement, but I think all of us were hoping for a better veteran option.

But as I’ve said, hopefully King will be healthy and serviceable.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What are people expecting in the way of a CB for $6M??

Kyle Fuller just got signed for $9.5M

Is King as good or as reliable as Fuller? Probably not, but that is why he cost $3.5M less.

I worry more about King's health than his play on the field. Did he totally look terrible on the last play of the first half of the NFCCG? Of course he did, but I would put that on coaching as much as on King.

Sadly, but reality, we don't have $10M to spend at every starting position of need and even that for a CB doesn't guarantee you much.

If King stays healthy, I predict this was a solid deal for the Packers. But you can say "if stays healthy" for almost anyone, look at Bahk.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was incredibly predictable and I know people will hate it but it makes sense. Look at the multi-year deals some got - the Packers werent paying that. Look at what a guy like Patrick Peterson got who has been terrible the past two seasons - like as bad as King. Then guys like Rhodes and Fuller either resigned or went back to a former coach. I dont love King as a player but I figured if the Packers could move past the long td in the NFC championship game this move was very likely to happen.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That one play is going to get the attention, but King was a liability all season long.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That one play is going to get the attention, but King was a liability all season long.

I am not trying to say he is really good. I think he is average but has a couple just terrible plays that make him look worse. My hope is the new DC knows how to play to his strengths better. Maybe just wishful thinking

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This was incredibly predictable and I know people will hate it but it makes sense. Look at the multi-year deals some got - the Packers werent paying that. Look at what a guy like Patrick Peterson got who has been terrible the past two seasons - like as bad as King. Then guys like Rhodes and Fuller either resigned or went back to a former coach. I dont love King as a player but I figured if the Packers could move past the long td in the NFC championship game this move was very likely to happen.

Well said. I also think 2 other things are in the Packers favor with this. One, this is King's "second contract", he hasn't had a "BIG" payday yet like some of the vets you are seeing out there. So I think this makes him hungry and he will put it all out there in 2021, hoping for that HUGE second contract. Finally, familiarity. King is familiar with the Packers and vice versa. Basically, the Packers know what they are getting and King knows how he will be treated, as well as his teammates. I like this deal much better than signing a 32 year old, on the decline, once Pro Bowler that may be watching the sunset more than he is watching it rise.

Members online

Latest posts