Packers re-sign Kevin King

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on king, he should not have been resigned, especially with the other options available.

As for Rodgers...I think it's very clear after Mark Murphy's comments that it's not Rodgers but the Packers who are avoiding pushing money into the future on Rodgers contract. The team obviously is toeing the line when it comes to maintaining flexibility when it comes to moving on from Rodgers.

And I'm not really sure why? Surely they should feel comfortable moving forward with Rodgers as qb for the next 2 seasons. There's no doubt he provides the team a unique/rare opportunity to make a run at the super bowl

I am not too quick to read anything into Murphy's statement. There is not another organization that keeps internal discussions such as these very internal. There also is very few HOF level, high profile athletes like Rodgers that literally dated another high profile actress, kept that secret and announced that they'd been engaged for awhile with a slip of a tongue months later....

We are dealing with an organization and a player that prefer quiet vs speculative drama. Personally I think there is as much a likelihood of either option: extension/push is in the works or Green Bay is planning on moving on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I'm not really sure why? Surely they should feel comfortable moving forward with Rodgers as qb for the next 2 seasons. There's no doubt he provides the team a unique/rare opportunity to make a run at the super bowl
why not keep options? it's not like Rodgers isn't being paid well and should be upset. He wants the security, his security will come if continues to play well. It's kind of how it is, and I think he understands that. GB doesn't need to paint themselves into more of a corner than they already are.

They're pushing money out, keeping guys together, they'll be able to make room should they need to for someone they've targeted and can get. that should signal they're committed to the now, but they do have options should something we don't want to happen, happens.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any kind of effort issue with King.
Ummm, are we watching the same games?? I have been watching replays of Packer games, he is out of position quite a bit, or tries the shoulder hit instead of wrapping up. The play before halftime of the Bux game is all you need to see. He is serviceable at times, that's about it

Reaction score
What’s crazy is some fans were proactively attacking King in 2019, as he was on to a pretty substantial season overall. I was defending him, but didn’t really need to at that time as his big picture play in 2019 was adequate defense in itself.

No argument or question he regressed in 2020 and it was substantial... but by mid season it was apparent he was the focus of opponents passing game, with J’aire playing lights out opposite. What was J’aire like top 3 in the league or thereabouts?

What bothers me just as much was the lack of Pettine’s acknowledgement of that focus on King and not giving him help over the top more consistently. You could almost leave Alexander on an island, why not gamble and play 2 S 1/3 zone on his side and clog up the looks he was getting?? This isn’t graduate level sentential calculus folks. Now, yes.. We saw it come to fruition in the NFC game, but it was a problem that wasn’t addressed long before that time frame. The NFC game just told me that Brady n Co saw it on film study but Pettine obviously didn’t .. study that is. Very Poor preparation on what should’ve been a default marriage of the Safety to his side. Redmond may as well been in the locker room showering he was so far divorced.

Silver lining: if Kevin gets over the top help, I think he can be still very effective. He doesn’t have the makeup speed to be playing Island Castaway against faster Wideouts. I noticed he did better disrupting some shallow pass plays and runs as he’s got above average instincts, but he’s losing when he has to line up 8 yards off LOS in fear of getting shredded or when he’s asked to play Run support or wear too many hats. Get him up to the LOS and allow him to attack and jam and get aggressive. He’s just not a back heel type player, he’s best playing downhill and he can do just that if he knows he’s not playing Uno all alone.

Lastly, as Poker said, you can erase some King woes by getting better QB disruption. Last season we started really slow in Sacks and allowed QBs to step up in the pocket too often. We desperately need Kenny Clark version II or a ILB that is proficient at shooting gaps. Ideally 1 of each.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redmond may as well been in the locker room showering he was so far divorced.
I thought you were spot on your entire post. Just highlighted this because I think it is kind of a big deal. I hope Redmond is not back. He has looked bad to me from the very start.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, are we watching the same games?? I have been watching replays of Packer games, he is out of position quite a bit, or tries the shoulder hit instead of wrapping up. The play before halftime of the Bux game is all you need to see. He is serviceable at times, that's about it

Bad or dumb playing does not equal lack of effort.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree on king, he should not have been resigned, especially with the other options available.

I don't think there were that many other cornerbacks available who would present an upgrade and could have been signed for a similar amount of money though.

why not keep options? it's not like Rodgers isn't being paid well and should be upset. He wants the security, his security will come if continues to play well.

I'm not convinced that's true. The Packers' front office currently leaves the impression that they at least consider moving on from Rodgers even he continues to perform at an elite level.

No argument or question he regressed in 2020 and it was substantial... but by mid season it was apparent he was the focus of opponents passing game, with J’aire playing lights out opposite. What was J’aire like top 3 in the league or thereabouts?

It's interesting to note that King wasn't targeted more often than Alexander. He just allowed way more plays.

I hope Redmond is not back. He has looked bad to me from the very start.

The Packers re-signed Redmond yesterday.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that's true. The Packers' front office currently leaves the impression that they at least consider moving on from Rodgers even he continues to perform at an elite level.

and I think that is just fine if people have that impression, even Rodgers. He's knows the drill and i'm sure he's going to be driven to make it hard for them to move on. I'm ok with that. Nobody should ever be too comfortable. They don't need to be used like gov't mules, but keeping a little heat on their backside is just fine. If the team tanks, and Rodgers is great, maybe he wants to be moved? If the teams is great and Rodgers tanks, the FO will want to move him. If Rodgers keeps playing like this and the team is pretty good around him I don't think they try and move on in a year. Of course there are 1000 other ways it could happen in between, but besides the FO not painting themselves into a corner by making it financially difficult to move on from Rodgers i'm not reading too much into this.

The FO took a chance with him coming off his 2nd major injury in 3 years on an aging QB and paid him close to what, 80+ million? Rodgers can take a chance and play with a little job insecurity for a season or 2 as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers re-signed Redmond yesterday.
Yeah, I'm a bit bummed. Either he plays only special teams or he somehow gains game awareness and tackles better; or I hope he does not make the team. Don't know what they see in him. Has to be something other than game film. A decent special teams player does not automatically belong on the field other times. I hope it is not the case of wanting to kill two birds with one stone. That just does not work well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed. Either he plays only special teams or he somehow gains game awareness and tackles better; or I hope he does not make the team. Don't know what they see in him. Has to be something other than game film. A decent special teams player does not automatically belong on the field other times.

I'm fine with Redmond getting the chance to compete for a roster spot. I'm convinced moving on from him wouldn't result in much (if any) dead money counting against the Packers cap.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Redmond getting the chance to compete for a roster spot. I'm convinced moving on from him wouldn't result in much (if any) dead money counting against the Packers cap.
I thought he was a liability out there. So I hope we are looking for someone else to take over for him on regular downs. He actually played quite a bit the 2nd half of the season...too much.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought he was a liability out there. So I hope we are looking for someone else to take over for him on regular downs. He actually played quite a bit the 2nd half of the season...too much.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Redmond should be a lock to make the roster but there's no harm in having him compete for a spot.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts