Packers re-sign Kevin King

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward was really pretty good here too, he was just injured a lot with a hamstring problem that didn't go away.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hayward was really pretty good here too, he was just injured a lot with a hamstring problem that didn't go away.

Which was why I made the comparison to King. I know some here think King was terrible, I don't think they understand just how hard it is to play injured or come back after injuries. Not making excuses for the guy, because I had a beef with his tackling at times. Did he look terrible on the last play of the first half of the NFCC game? Yes, but should Pettine have had him out there on an island in that situation? Hell no. I worry more about his tackling than his coverage. I also think with a better DL and DC, he looks better.

I thought I read somewhere that up until the NFCCG, King hadn't given up a TD, maybe I read that wrong? Anyway, with what we have to spend and what we currently have in the way of CB's, welcome back Mr. King for 1/2 of what above average CB's are being paid and often don't live up to it. I think as long as he stays healthy, the Packers get the better end of that investment.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which was why I made the comparison to King. I know some here think King was terrible, I don't think they understand just how hard it is to play injured or come back after injuries. Not making excuses for the guy, because I had a beef with his tackling at times. Did he look terrible on the last play of the first half of the NFCC game? Yes, but should Pettine have had him out there on an island in that situation? Hell no. I worry more about his tackling than his coverage. I also think with a better DL and DC, he looks better.

I thought I read somewhere that up until the NFCCG, King hadn't given up a TD, maybe I read that wrong? Anyway, with what we have to spend and what we currently have in the way of CB's, welcome back Mr. King for 1/2 of what above average CB's are being paid and often don't live up to it. I think as long as he stays healthy, the Packers get the better end of that investment.

Agreed. At worst, our secondary duplicates last years production. Kings play was not good and yet we managed to have the 7th best pass defense in the league due to great safety play and Jaire. The option to draft a Newsome, or Samuel is still there so I call the signing a wash.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed. At worst, our secondary duplicates last years production. Kings play was not good and yet we managed to have the 7th best pass defense in the league due to great safety play and Jaire. The option to draft a Newsome, or Samuel is still there so I call the signing a wash.

Yes and really you can never have enough average to good to great CB's. Think if we had waited until the draft and then Alexander gets hurt. Sadly, $6M really does not buy you very much in the NFL, especially in the way of a CB. We could shell out 3 draft picks on CB's and have nothing but Josh Jackson types to show for it. Best case scenario: King has a great year, walks in FA and gets us a 2023 3rd comp pick. We draft a few CB's and they play great. We now have a decision on JA.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we were looking for a 3rd CB, I would agree with your philosophy, but we aren't, we would have been looking for a #2 had King not been signed and even our current #3 (Sullivan or Jackson) is not much to write home about. Now whether King was the best FA option, that is up to debate, but I will take King as a starter over any CB we might find at #30 or beyond. I still think Gute grabs 1 if not 2 CB's in the first 6 rounds. Our draft history is hard to ignore, its a total crapshoot and King has been better than all but Alexander of those we drafted and while playing with Green Bay (not Hayward). If anything, maybe King will turn out to be the next Casey Hayward. A player that got much better after his rookie deal.

I was making a general observation aimed more at people's attitude toward the draft more so than at King. It could have been any number of players who illicit the same response. I'm not really against the King signing and I agree with you that at #30 I'd probably rather have King. He has his shortcomings but in part it is up to the coaches to help minimize them.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and really you can never have enough average to good to great CB's. Think if we had waited until the draft and then Alexander gets hurt. Sadly, $6M really does not buy you very much in the NFL, especially in the way of a CB. We could shell out 3 draft picks on CB's and have nothing but Josh Jackson types to show for it. Best case scenario: King has a great year, walks in FA and gets us a 2023 3rd comp pick. We draft a few CB's and they play great. We now have a decision on JA.

Exactly. No money to spend and drafting at #29 didn’t give us much wiggle room. We are way better off after this signing. Let’s all just hope Gute finds some help up front to help the entire secondary.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/contr...nk-506?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The details for King's contract have surfaced. King's deal is for one year at $5 million with $3.75 million fully guaranteed by way of a signing bonus, $1 million in base salary, $50,000 more virtually guaranteed due to a workout bonus, $200,000 as a game active bonus ($137,500 counts against the salary cap since he missed 5 games last year), and $1 million in unknown incentives. It has four void years tacked on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/contr...nk-506?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The details for King's contract have surfaced. King's deal is for one year at $5 million with $3.75 million fully guaranteed by way of a signing bonus, $1 million in base salary, $50,000 more virtually guaranteed due to a workout bonus, $200,000 as a game active bonus ($137,500 counts against the salary cap since he missed 5 games last year), and $1 million in unknown incentives. It has four void years tacked on.

Very creative and very cap friendly deal with only $1.937M counting against this seasons cap. The 4 void years is a nice twist

This should pacify some. But guessing there will still be those who had a much better plan in mind. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm still dead set against bringing him back. But that cap number is one hell of a lot better than 6 million.
I think we all knew that there might be more to the story than a straight $6M. That said, given the predicament the Packers were in at CB, I was fine with $6M, but given the cap situation, this makes it even better.

If nothing else, it hammers home the old adage of "wait on judgements, until you have all the facts".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very creative and very cap friendly deal with only $1.937M counting against this seasons cap. The 4 void years is a nice twist

This should pacify some. But guessing there will still be those who had a much better plan in mind. :coffee:

It's probably just me not paying attention but I'm not sure I have ever seen the use of void years before. So its really just a legal way to manipulate the cap and extend the number of years to spread out the signing bonuses? It seems like its literally a way to say we are signing you for just one more year but we are going to say four because it helps us cap wise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's probably just me not paying attention but I'm not sure I have ever seen the use of void years before. So its really just a legal way to manipulate the cap and extend the number of years to spread out the signing bonuses? It seems like its literally a way to say we are signing you for just one more year but we are going to say four because it helps us cap wise.

Contractual gymnastics is very much in vogue right now across the league. Voidable years have been around awhile, we just didn't see it much. The Packers just did this with both Crosby and Amos's contracts.

A good year to have Russ Ball on your staff.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contractual gymnastics is very much in vogue right now across the league. Voidable years have been around awhile, we just didn't see it much. The Packers just did this with both Crosby and Amos's contracts.

A good year to have Russ Ball on your staff.

I guess I had heard of voidable years but I didn't really know what they meant. I haven't really kept up with all the details of the new contracts. All I know is they free up money now and kick it into later years.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things seem to be getting pretty ridiculous on how teams are manipulating the cap. It is like manipulating the tax code. And obviously so much of it is bs now. It is probably time to clean it up. Make things real. Still, I guess it will somehow come to haunt some teams. They should not be allowed to keep kicking the can down the road imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess I had heard of voidable years but I didn't really know what they meant. I haven't really kept up with all the details of the new contracts. All I know is they free up money now and kick it into later years.

Pretty much, but you can't just say "We are giving him a 50 year deal and spreading the salary/bonuses out over those 50 years". Well, I guess you can say it, but depending on the timing of the release and the language in the contract, all the pushed out money hits the cap in that year or possible spread over the next year too.

So Kings deal will eventually cost them the promised money, but if they don't renew the contract next year, those 4 pushed out years will hit the cap in 2022.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They should not be allowed to keep kicking the can down the road imho.
Every team that has done this has had to pay the piper over one or two seasons. The quantity and quality of players on their rookie contracts determined the team's success during those seasons. Not everyone went 3-13 during their cap reboot seasons. Usually closer to .500.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, CB depth is great, and King would make a somewhat decent #3 corner. However, that means the Packers need to find a good corner that can play in the slot if necessary or slide Jaire inside because there's no way King can play the slot.

I'm not averse to King being the third corner this season, but if he's the #2 corner and the Packers don't inexplicably develop a top-5 pass rush, then great QBs with great receivers will again have their way with the Packers' defense; and I'm not even sure a great pass rush will help against the Bucs.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe King will cost us roughly $2-3 million in cap space for the 2022 season when he’s not playing for GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just like with Lewis I like that the Packers re-signed King. But why on earth did Gutekunst offer to pay him $6 million??? :eek:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case the Packers should have let King sign with another team.

If they liked another CB at the same price or lower, they would’ve done that. Right or wrong, they didn’t like the other CB’s I guess. And FA isn’t over. They still might sign more.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they liked another CB at the same price or lower, they would’ve done that. Right or wrong, they didn’t like the other CB’s I guess. And FA isn’t over. They still might sign more.

I would have preferred the Packers to rely on a rookie to start opposite of Alexander over paying $6 million to retain King.

While it's true free agency isn't over I don't think the Packers will be active moving forward. As far as I know they even had to create cap space (with a move not yet announced) to fit the contracts of King and Lewis under the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to both Over The Cap and Spotrac the Packers added four void years to King's contract resulting in him counting only a bit more than $1.9 million towards the cap in 2021.

The move will result in $3 million of dead money counting against the cap in '22 though.

It's mind-boggling the team was ready to do that to retain King but not with Rodgers' contract.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts