Packers re-sign Kevin King

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have preferred the Packers to rely on a rookie to start opposite of Alexander over paying $6 million to retain King.

While it's true free agency isn't over I don't think the Packers will be active moving forward. As far as I know they even had to create cap space (with a move not yet announced) to fit the contracts of King and Lewis under the cap.
Have you seen the details of King’s contract? If you have, continue to post your incessantly disagreeable posts with mgmt and ease on up to the edge of the cliff. By not having Lewis, and Jones for that matter, on the roster, how much of the offensive playbook is removed?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
According to both Over The Cap and Spotrac the Packers added four void years to King's contract resulting in him counting only a bit more than $1.9 million towards the cap in 2021.

The move will result in $3 million of dead money counting against the cap in '22 though.

It's mind-boggling the team was ready to do that to retain King but not with Rodgers' contract.
Does the season start tomorrow?
Do you have the timeline that Packers mgmt has developed for creating the roster?
Do you know which FA players the Packers want and when and for how much they want to sign them for?

If the answers to the above questions are “NO”, then your mind is woefully easily boggled.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have the timeline that Packers mgmt has developed for creating the roster?
Do you know which FA players the Packers want and when and for how much they want to sign them for?

If the answers to the above questions are “NO”, then your mind is woefully easily boggled.

Good thing I read your post. I was going to say the same thing. I probably wouldn't have said "woefully" though...that was a nice touch.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would have preferred the Packers to rely on a rookie to start opposite of Alexander over paying $6 million to retain King.

While it's true free agency isn't over I don't think the Packers will be active moving forward. As far as I know they even had to create cap space (with a move not yet announced) to fit the contracts of King and Lewis under the cap.

But they aren't actually paying him $6M. So people should stop throwing that number out there.

Kevin King Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What would be the cap hit if the Packers draft a CB or three early and find a sucker partner to maybe toss a 7th or swap a 6th round pick for him?

If I am reading the contract details correctly, the Packers would have an immediate cap hit of $3.75M if they cut or traded King.

But lets not forget that say they drafted a CB in the first round, they have to pay him. Which would be about:

$11,413,445 Total contract

Estimated signing bonus: $5.666687 M

Estimated Cap Hit Yr. 1: $2.075172 M

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
King reminds me of Clowney, really good when he want to be, but doesn't give 100% all the time. I hate the signing

Sadly, I think we see that all around the NFL and its happening more and more as salaries make these guys instant millionaires for life. I imagine there is a lot more talk between GM's and coaches about "this guys mental make up and desire to play." Players like that are exactly the main reason I just really cannot stand guaranteed contracts.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Without knowing who is available, that seems pretty foolish.

and the Packers are paying King under $2 million for this season. You’re intentionally framing it differently.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, I think we see that all around the NFL and its happening more and more as salaries make these guys instant millionaires for life. I imagine there is a lot more talk between GM's and coaches about "this guys mental make up and desire to play." Players like that are exactly the main reason I just really cannot stand guaranteed contracts.

Right. The players should turn down those contracts because they might not play hard.

It’s always going to be a risk with some players. Just like with the majority of people, not all of them love football. It’s the means to and end. I’m just shocked that you like to blame players more than management. It goes both ways. Maybe if I watched you work for a month, I would think you’re drastically overpaid.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If King plays every game he will get $5 million. He loses $12,500 per game he does,t play though I guess I would have to redo the math since they are going to 17 games. The last million has been described as unreachable incentives.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even this is wrong. King can get paid up to $6 million. He is getting paid $5 million. The cap hit is spread out through several years.

It doesn’t matter what he’s getting paid. The cap hit is what matters.

Technically yes but in reality the cap hit is spread out over 2 years. Or at least it will all count against the cap in the first two years. The 4 void years (22-25) were added so that even though the signing bonus was $3,750,000 they could stretch it out over 5 years making it 750,000 each year. That 750,000 added to his 1 million dollar salary and his roster and workout bonuses give a cap hit of 1,971,875 for this coming season. Since the contract is automatically void before the start of the league year next year the remaining 3 million dollars worth of signing bonus (750,000 for 4 years) accelerates into next season meaning he will count 3 million against the cap in 2022. Technically he is under contract for the next 5 years but since the last 4 years void automatically before next season starts it is essentially a 1 year deal and he will be a free agent again in 2022.

If King plays every game he will get $5 million. He loses $12,500 per game he does,t play though I guess I would have to redo the math since they are going to 17 games. The last million has been described as unreachable incentives.

I'm seeing 5 million too. I'm not sure where the 6 million came from. I don't even see it mentioned as unlikely to be earned incentives He has a 250,000 roster bonus which I think is really a per game active bonus because 250,000 divided by 16 games is 15,625 per game and since he was active for 11 games last year 11 of those bonuses are considered likely to be earned that's where the 171,875 roster bonus comes in. If he is active for all 16 games he will count for an extra 78, 125 next season since those incentives were not counted against the cap this year. I'm not sure where your 12,500 comes from. My math could be screwed up somewhere in there as well. Either way we are pretty close to each other.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. The players should turn down those contracts because they might not play hard.

It’s always going to be a risk with some players. Just like with the majority of people, not all of them love football. It’s the means to and end. I’m just shocked that you like to blame players more than management. It goes both ways. Maybe if I watched you work for a month, I would think you’re drastically overpaid.

I don't think so. Nobody makes fries like Poker. He's worth twice as much as he is getting paid.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily a King hater compared to some, but I think letting him walk would have been better. Good news is it's just one more year so he certainly is in "prove it" territory.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the patience here is admirable, but the player is just not smart...it will haunt them in another big game scenario...insert head into brick wall.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It feels like I'm sticking my neck out but I am glad we signed him. But we still need more depth there after the OT is what I would like to see. Jaire being able to go one on one should give us flexibility. Have to see if the new coordinator can be a better situational play caller. But yes, I like having King back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Have you seen the details of King’s contract? If you have, continue to post your incessantly disagreeable posts with mgmt and ease on up to the edge of the cliff. By not having Lewis, and Jones for that matter, on the roster, how much of the offensive playbook is removed?

Yes, I have seen the details on King's contract. The Packers will pay him $5 million for one season if he plays in every game next year. That's way too much in my opinion.

Geez, was yesterday one of those days you can't deal with somebody not agreeing with everything the front office does once again???

and the Packers are paying King under $2 million for this season. You’re intentionally framing it differently.

No, while King will count less than $2 million against the cap this season the Packers will at least pay him $4.8 million for his services in 2021. It's already confirmed that the contract will result in dead money of $3 million counting against the cap in 2022.

Even this is wrong. King can get paid up to $6 million. He is getting paid $5 million. The cap hit is spread out through several years.

It doesn’t matter what he’s getting paid. The cap hit is what matters.

Actually the total cap hit is the most important thing to look at, which will be at least $4.8 million for one season even if he doesn't play in a single game in 2021.

He has a 250,000 roster bonus which I think is really a per game active bonus because 250,000 divided by 16 games is 15,625 per game and since he was active for 11 games last year 11 of those bonuses are considered likely to be earned that's where the 171,875 roster bonus comes in. If he is active for all 16 games he will count for an extra 78, 125 next season since those incentives were not counted against the cap this year. I'm not sure where your 12,500 comes from. My math could be screwed up somewhere in there as well. Either way we are pretty close to each other.

According to Over The Cap King's contract includes a $200,000 per game roster bonus ($12,500 per game) and a $50K workout bonus, which is actually guaranteed money as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen the details on King's contract. The Packers will pay him $5 million for one season if he plays in every game next year. That's way too much in my opinion.

Geez, was yesterday one of those days you can't deal with somebody not agreeing with everything the front office does once again???
I freely admit that I generally support management decisions because they have far greater access to specific details and information than anyone in the fan base or media does. It doesn’t bother me when fans disagree and offer alternative solutions. It’s the wording and condescending tone (and for a few, downright disrespectful and despising tone) of people charged with producing as good a team as possible.
To be clear, I don’t think you come across as hateful or despising of mgmt. I do think you come across as an incessantly negative Nancy towards other posters and team mgmt while supplied with the same fraction of information that all the fan base is privy to.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spotrac has his per game roster bonus as 250,000 so that's where my numbers come from. They have the workout bonus as well.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We might as well shut down the forum then because you could say this for every decision the team makes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We might as well shut down the forum then because you could say this for every decision the team makes.
You do know that words have meanings, and can be used to be perceived as diminishing others, right?

It doesn’t have to be used to trash players, staff and management.

D

Deleted member 6794

I freely admit that I generally support management decisions because they have far greater access to specific details and information than anyone in the fan base or media does. It doesn’t bother me when fans disagree and offer alternative solutions. It’s the wording and condescending tone (and for a few, downright disrespectful and despising tone) of people charged with producing as good a team as possible.
To be clear, I don’t think you come across as hateful or despising of mgmt. I do think you come across as an incessantly negative Nancy towards other posters and team mgmt while supplied with the same fraction of information that all the fan base is privy to.

I'm definitely not a negative Nancy but don't support every decision by the front office just because they have more knowledge and access to information. It seems you don't have any issue being able to criticize other teams' management despite them having far more knowledge than other poster around here as well.

You do know that words have meanings, and can be used to be perceived as diminishing others, right?

It doesn’t have to be used to trash players, staff and management.

I haven't seen anyone trash the Packers in any way around here recently.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a negative Nancy but don't support every decision by the front office just because they have more knowledge and access to information. It seems you don't have any issue being able to criticize other teams' management despite them having far more knowledge than other poster around here as well.

I haven't seen anyone trash the Packers in any way around here recently.
I have.

It’s true that I have no problem criticizing other team’s mgmt. I think there past win-loss history warrants criticism of their methods of operation and I’ll admit I do enjoy ridiculing our rivals from time to time and in no way want our management to emulate them.