Packers place Funchess on IR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard has proven continually to be an excellent first down achiever and possession receiver. He is the epitome of the type of WR you love having on your roster but not be one of your needed studs. JAG I think sells him short, but I’m also not saying he’s incredibly special either.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Fair enough. Disagreement is fine. Just to be clear when I say ended up I meant by the end of the season. I just don't think anyone other than Adams and Cobb, given his position as Aarons chosen one, were standouts above Funchess. And even at this point I'm not sure of Cobbs skills. MVS did show improvement toward the end of last season and he will get a lot of snaps as the downfield threat. If he truly has improved his route running and hands he may be the #2. He will most likely start the season there.

IMO Lazard is JAG. An OK WR but nothing special. It probably wont happen but I could see him being cut. Since we have not really been privy to all the practices and such I would personally say Funchess was better than Taylor, Begelton, Winfree and EQ. Rodgers is a lock but I'm not sure how much he will contribute with Cobb in the picture.

My 5 top choices would have been Adams, MVS, Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers and after that Taylor or Lazard.

Funchess is a beast with solid, in a good way, hands. He would have been a huge red zone target and possession receiver. I'd much rather have him than Lazard, Taylor, EQ or Oprah.

He probably would not pass MVS for the #2 spot but if Cobb's skills have diminished (which they may have) and Rodgers has not developed enough (and I don't think he would have) I could have seen Funchess easily taking over the #3 spot.
Funchess definately looked like a man among boys against the Texans 2nd team. he didn't look like he belonged and I mean that in a good way. I wanted to see what he could bring. I've never been super high on Lazard either and could see Funchess beating him out. I only say he has it locked from making the team in the past and some of his performances. All reports on MVS is that he has taken another step forward this offseason, especially in confidence. I guess he is catching almost everything going his way. I think it is pretty clear that Adams and MVS are the main guys with Cobb in the slot. It is sounding like the Cobb trade is going to work out in a big way. Amari is struggling a bit and needs more time to develop. Regardless, Funchess is out and I feel the WR core is pretty set now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard is by far the best blocker of the WR group. He is a lock.

I don’t know, MVS last year legit was a blocking stud. I would say Lazard is a more capable blocker though and concede but MVS is just as willing to block and I still remember that game he had zero yards or catches but his blocking was a large part of why we won.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tape I saw of Rodgers showed me that he can get deep down the middle with a stop and go if he is played tight. His zero to 40 looked very good and he timed it well also. I think he needs to do that once or twice every game for the DBs to lighten up on him.

Reaction score
Much depends on game plan and playtime (factoring injuries etc.). imo I see WR (total production value) in this order with Funchess out.
1. Davante
2. Stiff competition between MVS or Cobb
4. Lazard
5. Malik
6. Rodgers
7. Begelton (or the winner of the 3-way)
(Will likely keep 10 between WR/RB)

My depth chart would reverse # 5-6. But from a value standpoint, Malik played a decent amount of ST last season, 9 KR; 3 tackles; Started 1 game (week 4 Atlanta) and he performed (5-66 1TD) also a 9 yard carry.

Something tells me that Malik being year 3 in this system is going to pay quicker dividends and he’s earned it. His preseason performance has only stacked upon his gradual success ascension. Plus he’s going to be expected to step it up a notch.

Also, having Cobb in the slot is going to cover up Amari some (that’s ok he gets time to learn under a great Slot guy in Cobb). Malik has shown enough that he has earned a few more snaps and also it’s clear his NFL conversion from a D2 school is legitimate.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you hit the order my production numbers would slide. If talking receptions and targets I think Cobb is 2, but I think MVS is set for a solid year and will be 2 in yards and maybe TDs too

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My assumption is that any WR that you haven't seen in a playoff game is a lock, because the Packers are keeping them from injury. Therefore Lazard is a lock. Remember that he was our #2 WR last year. He was playing like it until the injury.

I actually agree with you about Funchess. I liked the way that he was playing but at best he was competing for that last spot (in the coaches eyes) with Taylor and Begelton. I don't think that Winfree and EQ are on the radar. Begelton was distant behind Funchess and Taylor. Personally I would have been happy with either of those two, and hence my comment that it made the WR decision easier. Where any WRs' production ends up at the year is anyone's guess.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Begelton has progressed a lot and is offering more on STs, he is one hundred percent a guy I wanna see next year and pray we can keep him on PS

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
7. Begelton (or the winner of the 3-way)
(Will likely keep 10 between WR/RB)

My depth chart would reverse # 5-6. But from a value standpoint, Malik played a decent amount of ST last season, 9 KR; 3 tackles; Started 1 game (week 4 Atlanta) and he performed (5-66 1TD) also a 9 yard carry.

Something tells me that Malik being year 3 in this system is going to pay quicker dividends and he’s earned it. His preseason performance has only stacked upon his gradual success ascension. Plus he’s going to be expected to step it up a notch.
I don't think they keep seven WRs. There's just too many other need for depth at other positions. I'm not sure you keep a guy around specifically for special teams unless you're a kicker, punter, or long snapper. I do agree that it can be the difference between keeping the sixth WR and that is why Taylor has a spot. Proven to have stepped up when injury has presented itself and has contributed on special teams. They would not need Begelton during injury or for special teams. I have been wrong a lot though.

Reaction score
Particularly with a new ST Coordinator. Seems the prudent thing to
I don't think they keep seven WRs. There's just too many other need for depth at other positions. I'm not sure you keep a guy around specifically for special teams unless you're a kicker, punter, or long snapper. I do agree that it can be the difference between keeping the sixth WR and that is why Taylor has a spot. Proven to have stepped up when injury has presented itself and has contributed on special teams. They would not need Begelton during injury or for special teams. I have been wrong a lot though.
6 WR is fairly common.
The 7. I listed is just more a last guess in order but could certainly be PS etc..
It’s really a crap shoot there right now as to who doesn’t get cut altogether. Like you said I’m just an innocent bystander, if he doesn’t make the cut? I’m claiming immunity from all previous Begelton statements and hiring a Defense attorney. Lol

Reggie looked very fluid there on PR and he would greatly improve his value if he puts together any performance that resembles an improved return game. Our ST needs help and that alone just might be enough to make this team.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Begelton is as good as people here say on punt returns and he is much better than anyone else; I think it is worth a spot. Think Allen Rossum.

Reaction score
Funchess definately looked like a man among boys against the Texans 2nd team. he didn't look like he belonged and I mean that in a good way. I wanted to see what he could bring. I've never been super high on Lazard either and could see Funchess beating him out. I only say he has it locked from making the team in the past and some of his performances. All reports on MVS is that he has taken another step forward this offseason, especially in confidence. I guess he is catching almost everything going his way. I think it is pretty clear that Adams and MVS are the main guys with Cobb in the slot. It is sounding like the Cobb trade is going to work out in a big way. Amari is struggling a bit and needs more time to develop. Regardless, Funchess is out and I feel the WR core is pretty set now.
Well said. One of the better WR group (depth and overall talent wise) in the last 7-8 years.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 5 top choices would have been Adams, MVS, Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers and after that Taylor or Lazard.
I pretty much agree with you except I would have Lazard ahead of Taylor. Funchess showed the ability to get open and catch the ball. I feel like Funchess might have been more consistant than MVS (better hands), however he doesn't have that break away speed.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they gave Funchess an injury settlement and waived him off of ir. I guess they could always resign him if they have an injury bug.

Members online

Latest posts