Packers place Funchess on IR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Reaction score
Wow,That sucks for him. My best wishes to him, I hope he recovers and can get back into playing again. He definitely looks the part on limited time back.

Our only fortunate thing is the emergence of Malik Taylor. Also Begelton has been looking much better in the early part of the preseason. Plus several others EQ etc.. get a better chance where they might have been sent packing.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang. IMO Taylor will get that last spot. This last preseason game will be very important for the bubble guys. I can see Begelton getting more chances now, then again, Cobb and Amari kind of occupy what Begelton can bring.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Begeltons best chance I think is next season. He will be on our Ps I think again and May get call up given injuries.

I love how he looks returning surprisingly

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wondering why IR...is it because they can't cut an injured player? Once healthy can they cut him with an injury settlement & then he'd be free to sign with another team? Would this create any cap-savings?

Reaction score
Dang. IMO Taylor will get that last spot. This last preseason game will be very important for the bubble guys. I can see Begelton getting more chances now, then again, Cobb and Amari kind of occupy what Begelton can bring.
I saw a recent fan poll that had Malik Taylor way out front. Then it was Winfrey,EQ,Begelton in a tight race.

My guess is we keep 6 (Malik) and PS 2 of those 3 guys. Something tells me we will stash Reggie on PS and if Cobb goes out at all he gets activated as a 6th. Cobb will likely be in line at PR.

Those last 3 are all on the bubble, but this makes it plausible 3 of those 4 make the team/PS. Begelton had been showing up strong in practice (from recent reports) plus looking better in preseason and his surge of PR capability? he stays only because EQ and Winfree have been fighting injury, they seem least likely to get snatched by another team. I always liked that Begelton had great hands (70% catch rate) possession type guy, but there’s a place for that.
It very well may even come down to the preseason #3 contest. If Begelton breaks another decent PR or has a decent showing altogether? He’s my projection #7 or PS

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a recent fan poll that had Malik Taylor way out front. Then it was Winfrey,EQ,Begelton in a tight race.

My guess is we keep 6 (Malik) and PS 2 of those 3 guys. Something tells me we will stash Reggie on PS and if Cobb goes out at all he gets activated as a 6th. Cobb will likely be in line at PR.

Those last 3 are all on the bubble, but this makes it plausible 3 of those 4 make the team/PS. Begelton had been showing up strong in practice (from recent reports) plus looking better in preseason and his surge of PR capability? he stays only because EQ and Winfree have been fighting injury, they seem least likely to get snatched by another team. I always liked that Begelton had great hands (70% catch rate) possession type guy, but there’s a place for that.
It very well may even come down to the preseason #3 contest. If Begelton breaks another decent PR or has a decent showing altogether? He’s my projection #7 or PS
Until one of the other three catches 6 passes against the Bills then he will be way out front.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Wondering why IR...is it because they can't cut an injured player? Once healthy can they cut him with an injury settlement & then he'd be free to sign with another team? Would this create any cap-savings?

The Packers could reach an injury settlement with Funchess if he believes he will be able to play this season, allowing him to sign with another team.

With Funchess set to earn close to the veteran minimum there's not a lot of cap space to be saved, it could be enough to account for his replacement though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I tried to find this answer and I'm having difficulty. I think they can do an injury settlement, but some of his salary goes as dead money against the cap. This is what OTC shows for his contract.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried to find this answer and I'm having difficulty. I think they can do an injury settlement, but some of his salary goes as dead money against the cap. This is what OTC shows for his contract.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
"Usually" an injury settlement is the fraction of the season's pay that the player is expected to be injured. IF Funchess would "normally" be out for 4 weeks the settlement would be 4/17th of his $1.15Mil. As captWIMM stated the cap amount saved would cover the salary of his replacement on the roster (Taylor or Begelton?)... better than nothing.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see them dressing Taylor, Amari, Jace, Winfree, and Begelton for the last game. Winfree and Begelton would essentially be playing for the PS in my opinion. I haven't seen EQ at all so I'm going to assume he's somehow safe or nursing some weak injury.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see them dressing Taylor, Amari, Jace, Winfree, and Begelton for the last game. Winfree and Begelton would essentially be playing for the PS in my opinion. I haven't seen EQ at all so I'm going to assume he's somehow safe or nursing some weak injury.

EQ has been injured and for his sake he needs a massive day saturday or he is gone I think.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything, this just clears up the race for WR. Taylor (assuming no major changes) should get the sixth spot if we decide to keep six receivers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is an injury settlement, after the six weeks, Funchess can sign with other teams as you all noted above. Of course, one of those teams that he could sign with is the Green Bay Packers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything, this just clears up the race for WR. Taylor (assuming no major changes) should get the sixth spot if we decide to keep six receivers.
You say that as if its a good thing. I'd say if anything this makes our final WR group weaker than it would have been Just my opinion but I think Funchess would have ended up at least our #3 if not #2 WR.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say that as if its a good thing. I'd say if anything this makes our final WR group weaker than it would have been Just my opinion but I think Funchess would have ended up at least our #3 if not #2 WR.
Is it happy hour, already? IMHO, NO WAY that Funchess is anybody's #3 or #2 WR, much less GB's. He might end up on somebody else's roster mid-season but only as a super emergency injury fill-in.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the few plays I saw of Funchess were the player he was going to be down in and down out, he'd have been a valuable guy to have on the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funchess had a legit shot IMO having the 4th most targets in the WR room by years end. He wasn’t gonna be our 2

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the few plays I saw of Funchess were the player he was going to be down in and down out, he'd have been a valuable guy to have on the field.
Sure, but he is injured again.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Adams and MVS are #1 and #2 without question. Cobb is in the slot and has beaten everyone out. Of course, Rodgers is going to say good things about him, but the local radio guys are praising him as well. He's the #3. I don't think there is any questions that Lazard has solidified the #4 position. It gets a little more murky here, but Amari Rodgers is a lock and will back up Cobb. With Funchess going down Taylor makes the 6th. I think Funchess would have been the 6th, but Taylor plays well on special teams. I doubt they keep 7, but if they do it is between Winfree, EQ and Begelton. I've heard Begelton has been having a good camp and contributes on special teams. Personally, I think Winfree and Begelton land on the PS and EQ is a cut.
While Funchess had a great game against Houston's 2nd team he was a bubble player and no where near the 3rd best WR on the roster. Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams and MVS are #1 and #2 without question. Cobb is in the slot and has beaten everyone out. Of course, Rodgers is going to say good things about him, but the local radio guys are praising him as well. He's the #3. I don't think there is any questions that Lazard has solidified the #4 position. It gets a little more murky here, but Amari Rodgers is a lock and will back up Cobb. With Funchess going down Taylor makes the 6th. I think Funchess would have been the 6th, but Taylor plays well on special teams. I doubt they keep 7, but if they do it is between Winfree, EQ and Begelton. I've heard Begelton has been having a good camp and contributes on special teams. Personally, I think Winfree and Begelton land on the PS and EQ is a cut.

While Funchess had a great game against Houston's 2nd team he was a bubble player and no where near the 3rd best WR on the roster. Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one.
Fair enough. Disagreement is fine. Just to be clear when I say ended up I meant by the end of the season. I just don't think anyone other than Adams and Cobb, given his position as Aarons chosen one, were standouts above Funchess. And even at this point I'm not sure of Cobbs skills. MVS did show improvement toward the end of last season and he will get a lot of snaps as the downfield threat. If he truly has improved his route running and hands he may be the #2. He will most likely start the season there.

IMO Lazard is JAG. An OK WR but nothing special. It probably wont happen but I could see him being cut. Since we have not really been privy to all the practices and such I would personally say Funchess was better than Taylor, Begelton, Winfree and EQ. Rodgers is a lock but I'm not sure how much he will contribute with Cobb in the picture.

My 5 top choices would have been Adams, MVS, Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers and after that Taylor or Lazard.

Funchess is a beast with solid, in a good way, hands. He would have been a huge red zone target and possession receiver. I'd much rather have him than Lazard, Taylor, EQ or Oprah.

He probably would not pass MVS for the #2 spot but if Cobb's skills have diminished (which they may have) and Rodgers has not developed enough (and I don't think he would have) I could have seen Funchess easily taking over the #3 spot.

Members online

Latest posts