Packers On Thanksgiving

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I must say I am thankful to see our boys play this Thanksgiving against the Lions (even though I wanted Dallas).

I think we have a nice history of playing Detroit on Thanksgiving, and this adds another chapter to it.

So who thinks we should whip out some throw backs vs the Lions since they will be wearing the logo-less 1950's (or is it 60's?) style helmets that look very old school.

Sadly I don't think we'll be having an easy time playing them like we usually do on Thanksgiving. It will be close I think.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think we'll be able to handle the Lions just fine. Last year we let our guard down on what we thought would be an easy victory. A lesson learned. This year we'll be better prepared. I'm also excited about the holiday game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Lions are usually tough on Thanksgivings.

Problem is we can't wear those throwbacks. ;( And the NFL wouldn't allow a blue on blue game. I am all for cutting out the white in the Packers stripe pattern and adding new socks to the Pack full time though.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I wish we played every Thaksgiving

Too bad we didn't get Dallas, I would have loved seeing them get skull crushed. Who's to say we won't win a game in their new stadium. We got a long losing streak against them on the road but it's bound to end soon.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think we have a nice history of playing Detroit on Thanksgiving, and this adds another chapter to it.
It depends on how far back in history you want to go. From 2000 through last year the Packers are 3-1 on Thanksgiving, but I still don't like the Packers playing on that particular holiday.

Of course I love NFL football on Thanksgiving but I agree with Vince Lombardi on this subject. From 1959 through 1963 his great Packer teams were 2-2-1 against the Lions, including the 1962 game in which Bart Starr was sacked 11 times. After the 1963 13-13 tie, Lombardi had enough pull in the league to call the NFL front office and say "ENOUGH!" The Packers didn't play on Thanksgiving again until 1970.

As an old Packers fan I have a great appreciation for NFL traditions, but not bad ones. I consider a tradition which provides an annual advantage exclusively to two franchises a bad tradition. Of course Thanksgiving games are played on a short week and home teams IMO have an added advantage (more than the normal home field advantage because of the short week). The Lions have been playing this game at home consecutively since 1945 (WWII interrupted the series). Luckily they've mostly stunk over vast periods of time since then so it hasn't been a big deal for them or the rest of the league. OTOH, the Cowboys started getting these games at home in 1966 (for some reason they skipped '75 and '77) and their record on Thanksgiving is 27-15-1. NFL games on Thanksgiving is a great tradition, but IMO the league should spread the wealth - and the advantage - around.

Here's a listing of "NFL" games played on Thanksgiving going back to 1920. Note the Packers first played on Thanksgiving in 1923. They hosted the Hammond Pros and killed 'em 19-0. How 'bout the Packers hosting the game again?

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait for this game. For the past year, I have been hearing from Lions fans on how they not only beat the Superbowl Champions, but also how they knocked our mustached hero out of the game. Talk radio in Metro Detroit is full of Lions hype, with huge expectations. They talk of 16-0, talk of 7-1 through the first 8 games etc. Inevitably, last years Thankgiving game comes up as well as how they finished 4-0 last year and went 4-0 in the meaningless preseason. I would like nothing better on Thanksgiving than a four touchdown ***-whipping and for Josh Sitton to shutout Suh - no tackles and certainly no sacks.

Members online

Latest posts