Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't follow. How does Green Bay, or any team NOT stay within the rules? And, what's the definition of parity? If you mean no dynasties, I'd have to go along with you, although I'd argue that free agency and the salary cap are much more responsible. If you mean everybody gets a chance at the brass ring, I'd have to disagree and point out the perpetual bottom feeders.

Yeah, a good point point about bottom feeders. As far as the rules. I was referring to tampering and under the table deals that go down to get certain draft positions. That's all. I wonder why the bottom feeders are given such a great opportunity and can't capitalize on it, like the Jaguars for instance.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, a good point point about bottom feeders. As far as the rules. I was referring to tampering and under the table deals that go down to get certain draft positions. That's all. I wonder why the bottom feeders are given such a great opportunity and can't capitalize on it, like the Jaguars for instance.

Thanks. I thought there was a more obvious cheating regime in place and wondered what I'd missed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers draft picks´ jersey numbers:

7 Brett Hundley
22 Aaron Ripkowski
23 Damarious Randall
24 Quinten Rollins
47 Jake Ryan
77 Christian Ringo
86 Kennard Backman
88 Ty Montgomery

Rollins getting #24 doesn´t bode well for Jarrett Bush.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7 Brett Hundley
22 Aaron Ripkowski
23 Damarious Randall
24 Quinten Rollins
47 Jake Ryan
77 Christian Ringo
86 Kennard Backman
88 Ty Montgomery

I knew Bush was done the second we drafted Randall and Rollins....then adding a guy like Gunter UDFA.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Some teams, just cannot put it all together. takes a great GM who has a patent owner and a great coach, then you have to find a great QB and build a team around him. that takes a lot of discipline, and time. oh yeah, and you need lots of luck.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The league attempts to achieve parity by allowing weaker teams the early picks and thus strengthening their chances. When teams like Green Bay stay within the rules, it works. I'd say TT has done pretty well for having a bunch of picks that were in later rounds. Sure, he's human and sometimes screws up, but who of us doesn't? Over all, his job has been well done.
I couldn't agree more. The league rules encourage bringing everybody back to the middle. Thompson has a process in place to defy the league's wishes. IMO, we have a better than average coaching staff, an excellent cadre of scouts, and a superb money man and negotiaton scheme in place that is fair to the player and always team friendly. He drafts the BPA on his board for greater value than the pick would dictate and accumulates a talent level that other teams can't match because they are busy filling positions with lesser quality talent.

H

HardRightEdge

It would appear Thompson and McCarthy are not eye-to-eye on Bush at the moment.

On the one hand, Thompson gave away his number as you note.

On the other hand, Bush still has his name over a locker and McCarthy had this to say about the matter:

"Jarrett is a nine-year player here," McCarthy said. "If he did come back to us and things worked out in the future, he'd be wearing 24. I think it's premature, frankly, that we did that (i.e., reassigned the number)."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-premature-to-give-away-bushs-no-24/27019551/

The DBs we can assume will make the squad are:

Shields
Hayward
Burnett
Clinton-Dix
Hyde
Richardson
Randall
Rollins

8 is a typical number; the Packers carried 9 with Banjo coming off PS to fill Lattimore's special teams spot as he went to IR.

I'd assume McCarthy would prefer to see how the 53 man roster is falling together before writing off Bush altogether. Thompson seems more certain of the outcome.

Ordinarily I'd say this is more words than the outcome of a #9 DB position warrants. However, Bush is a 9 year Packer and a special teams captain.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The DBs we can assume will make the squad are:

Shields
Hayward
Burnett
Clinton-Dix
Hyde
Richardson
Randall
Rollins

8 is a typical number; the Packers carried 9 with Banjo coming off PS to fill Lattimore's special teams spot as he went to IR.

Ordinarily I'd say this is more more words than the outcome of a #9 DB position warrants. However, Bush is a 9 year Packer and a special teams captain.

The Packers kept 10 defensive backs on the 53 roster for most of last season and added another one when they promoted Banjo from the practice squad. I expect them to take a similar approach in 2015.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7 Brett Hundley
22 Aaron Ripkowski
23 Damarious Randall
24 Quinten Rollins
47 Jake Ryan
77 Christian Ringo
86 Kennard Backman
88 Ty Montgomery

lol. I think you sherlock holmed that mystery...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush seemed to drop off significantly on special teams last year. He was very good on those units in years past but he was doing nothing to opposing teams gunners last year and was not covering the returner like he had previously either. He has had a pretty long ride and a good one for what he looked like early in his career.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan won't keep #47 when he makes our roster I bet. He'll surely get a # in the 50s?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Jake Ryan won't keep #47 when he makes our roster I bet. He'll surely get a # in the 50s?

He'll continue to wear #47 as the league allows linebackers to wear numbers in the 40s for the first time this season.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers kept 10 defensive backs on the 53 roster for most of last season and added another one when they promoted Banjo from the practice squad. I expect them to take a similar approach in 2015.
You're right. Out of sight, out of mind. Bush had 44 defensive snaps mostly at dime; Goodson had none.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That’s a surprise to me. I thought Robinson's limited snaps at least earned him another look this TC, ahead of Bruce Gaston, Lavon Hooks, and 3rd rounder Khyri Thornton. Maybe there's something else going on?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Surprised here too. Ah the things we don't know.

H

HardRightEdge

I echo those sentiments. I thought Robinson had a decent shot to make the roster. The fact he was not deemed worthy of the 90 man roster does suggest, as THX said, that something happened we don't know about.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing he came to the rookie orientation camp significantly out of shape.

Many of last year's practice squad and inexperienced players also participated in this
Past weekend's rookie camp and MM and other coaches and media personnel
Praised some players, such as Adrain Hubbard, for making a jump in their strength
And conditioning.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm guessing he came to the rookie orientation camp significantly out of shape.

Many of last year's practice squad and inexperienced players also participated in this
Past weekend's rookie camp and MM and other coaches and media personnel
Praised some players, such as Adrain Hubbard, for making a jump in their strength
And conditioning.

Robinson wasn´t allowed to participate in last week´s rookie minicamp because he was credited with an accrued season in 2014.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Eddie Lacy is really terrible in riding a tricycle:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jack Vainisi will get a monument on the corner of Lombardi Avenue and South Ridge Road. Well deserved!!!
Fantastic! Long overdue - he'll finally get public recognition for his great contributions to Packers history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts