Packers might get another shot at Jenkins

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have said this before...Philly can cut Jenkins after his 1st year

Now it just may happen

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137580733.html

Jenkins has a $5 million roster bonus due on the first day of the 2012 league year and it's questionable whether the Eagles will pay it. They would not take a salary cap hit if they chose not to pay it and allowed Jenkins to become a free agent because there was no signing bonus in the original deal.

They could ask Jenkins to restructure the deal and convert the roster bonus into a signing bonus, which shink his 2012 cap number to $4 million. But Jenkins would have to agree to it.

Given Jenkins' popularity in the locker room and his strong desire last year to want to return to the Packers, he would undoubtedly consider signing a free agent deal with Green Bay. It probably would cost the Packers a lot less than what the Eagles paid given Jenkins turns 31 in two days.

L

Lunchboxer

Hmm I hope Ted would do it.

He was sorely missed. With out Jenkins the D was crap with out him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course I don't know if Thompson would do it or not but it wouldn't be the average UFA signing. I think a big concern for Thompson regarding UFA is avoiding bringing in players who may disrupt the locker room. Another is to avoid paying the huge money offered in the UFA frenzy for the really big name UFAs. Neither applies to Jenkins so that favors Thompson considering it. OTOH, Jenkins is over 30 and it seems Thompson prefers not to invest in players on the downside of their careers. But there are exceptions like Woodson and Thompson, his staff, and the coaching staff knows Jenkins as well as any player in the league regarding his training habits, etc. I'd like to see him signed AND a DL drafted in the first couple of rounds if there's one worthy of being picked where the Packers are picking.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the major reasons that Jenkins was not signed, in my opinion, was availability. Jenkins missed significant time in the last few seasons with the Packers. Although he made it through the entire season with Philly, he still remain a high injury risk. TJV brought up some good points regarding chemistry/familiarity, but I think TT believes in getting rid of a guy a year too early than a year to late.

I doubt the Packers are interested.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's not Thompson's MO to go after guys like that. He usually tries to develop from within and occasionally goes for someone outside. The reason I don't see TT going after Jenkins is because Jenkins really is better in a four down lineman set than the 3-4. The Packers may explore free agency for defensive help, but don't hold your breath.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
AmishMafia is probably right; Thompson probably won't do it. And he's right in saying the big concern is availability. But if Jenkins would sign a three or four year contract which would enable the Packers to waive him after two years cap-wise I think it would be worth doing. If Thompson did that and drafted a DL early Jenkins could be the stop gap which would allow the rookie, other additions and Neal to audition for the future. Of course if they signed him, he could be watching from the sidelines for most of the season, injured. The other variable is whether or not Jenkins' familiarity with the Packers is stronger motivation than playing in a 4-3 which is better for DTs like Jenkins. BTW, there was a good article on Neal on jsonline - I don't doubt his motivation but wonder if his injuries will ever heal enough to allow him to maximize his potential.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Probably won't happen but I like the idea. He knows our scheme and could immediately come back and start playing. Whereas drafting another guy we'd be charged with the task of developing.

If he's willing to sign for cheap, why not?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not Thompson's MO to go after guys like that. He usually tries to develop from within and occasionally goes for someone outside. The reason I don't see TT going after Jenkins is because Jenkins really is better in a four down lineman set than the 3-4. The Packers may explore free agency for defensive help, but don't hold your breath.

He was one of our guys to start with..so the thing about develop with in doesnt apply to this

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
January 18th, 2012

GREEN BAY - Former Central Michigan University standout Cullen Jenkins had a strong season for the Philadelphia Eagles, registering 5 1/2 sacks and playing all 16 games.

He did not play for the Green Bay Packers, a fact many of his former Green Bay teammates pointed to as a reason for their early departure from the NFL Playoffs after losing Sunday to the New York Giants.

Jenkins, who played his entire NFL career with the Packers, was a free agent after the 2010 season, but Green Bay decided not to resign him, although he was considered one of the top defensive linemen on the market.

Departed end Cullen Jenkins' name was brought up so many times Monday that you would have thought he was still playing for the team.

Thompson let the team's best pass-rushing defensive lineman go last year despite his cost dropping dramatically in the free-agent market to a very affordable $5 million a year, which is what the Philadelphia Eagles paid to sign him.

Playing all 16 games for just the second time in four years, Jenkins had 5 1/2 sacks for the Eagles, exactly one-half sack fewer than the total of the entire Packers defensive line.

Opponent offensive line attention on Jenkins was part of the reason defensive end Jason Babin had a career year in sacks.

From inside the locker room and out, the absence of a pass rush was on everybody's mind when it came to analyzing the NFL's 32nd-ranked defense.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it happening. I know he made it through the whole season this past year, but Jenkins is still an injury risk. He does us no good from the sidelines.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it happening.
I wish it would happen.
I think Cullen is a year YOUNGER than Justin Smith of the 49ers, who some of you may have noticed attacking Drew Brees last weekend.
A guy has a good 2-4 years left. Is that not worth it?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish it would happen.
I think Cullen is a year YOUNGER than Justin Smith of the 49ers, who some of you may have noticed attacking Drew Brees last weekend.
A guy has a good 2-4 years left. Is that not worth it?

It's worth it depending on who the Packers get in the draft and who's coming back. If they pick up a top OLB like Mercilus or Upshaw, then yes I think it is. Having Jenkins + Matthews + a Mercilus or Upshaw would sure make the Packers look a lot better on pass rush and on defense overall at least on paper.

If Collins is coming back that gives the Packers more room in the draft to go after a top DE as well. If Collins isn't coming back the Packers may have to go for a solid prospect at DB as well. That would make the signing of Jenkins more valuable.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Just from listening to the press conferences and reading the releases, I get the impression that the Packers' staff and management feel they have the players they need to make a deep run. They just think they need to instill better fundamentals and technique in the young players. It doesn't really appear to me that they see a pressing need for free agents. It's just my opinion. I could be wrong. But somehow I get the impression they think they have everyone they need to win the Lombardi trophy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got the impression that Jenkins was pretty butt-hurt about the perceived lack of respect (see: they didn't offer me as much money as I think I'm worth) from the Packers. He left because he was unhappy. What I'm reading makes it sound like the Packers could have gotten him on the cheap since he ultimately received a much lower contract than what he was expecting. I'm not so sure it's that simple. I understand that he had made up his mind to leave, regardless of whether the Packers would've paid the $5M/yr or not. It was a pride thing. Would he really want to come back to town after that? I sure hope so. I've been a huge supporter of Jenkins since his very earliest days in GB.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a mistake letting him go to begin with, but hindsight is 20/20. I personally would want him back. I think his absence, a long with Collins getting hurt really hurt our D this year. If we can get a shot at him, I hope TT brings him back. I'm just not too sure TT would do it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I got the impression that Jenkins was pretty butt-hurt about the perceived lack of respect (see: they didn't offer me as much money as I think I'm worth) from the Packers. He left because he was unhappy. What I'm reading makes it sound like the Packers could have gotten him on the cheap since he ultimately received a much lower contract than what he was expecting. I'm not so sure it's that simple. I understand that he had made up his mind to leave, regardless of whether the Packers would've paid the $5M/yr or not. It was a pride thing. Would he really want to come back to town after that? I sure hope so. I've been a huge supporter of Jenkins since his very earliest days in GB.

The Packers didn't offer him anything. He made up his mind to leave because he had no choice.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Packers didn't offer him anything. He made up his mind to leave because he had no choice.

Yeah, he apparently had his mind made up by the time of the Super Bowl. He left the locker room after the Super Bowl saying how odd it felt knowing he wasn't going to be a Packer anymore.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Croak. That's what I was basing my post on; that he wanted an extension and when the time for an extension came and went, he knew he was going to go someplace else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts