Packers interest in MJD

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I don't know of any interest, but maybe there should be.

Rumor is that Jags are now receiving interest calls. Why should the Packers trade?

1. MJD is an elite RB
2. He has low miles his first 2 or 3 years and is only 27.
3. I have him on my Fantasy Football team and his value would skyrocket if he plays for the Packers and I would then feel smarter.
4. MJD is a good . . .

Ahh, who am I kidding. There is ZERO chance of this happening. MJD will command some top picks and a big chunk of change. This would limit us from signing our core players and finding new ones in the draft. Thinking more - I would prefer we didn't trade for him even if the trade was reasonable.

MJD is an idiot, plain and simple. He has painted himself into a horrible corner with his holdout. He will have to swallow some pride and return to the team or risk his career.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I'm not sacrificing Jennings, Matthews, or Raji for a position that doesn't matter.

We can't just pay everyone and have studs at every position.

27 means 3 years left of high production.

Zach311

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Jones-Drew wants out in Jacksonville, I think he'd be a great fit in GB. Maybe send a package deal for him? I was thinking Starks and Jones with a possible 5th round 2013 draft pick? Thoughts?

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Too expensive... Plus we gotta pay Rodgers, Jennings, Raji and Matthews soon... It would be nice tho... maybe if he took less money.... but Cedric will do just fine.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd be the ideal back in this offense, but the price is too high. After Rodgers and CM3 get their money, the cap is exhausted.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too expensive... Plus we gotta pay Rodgers, Jennings, Raji and Matthews soon... It would be nice tho... maybe if he took less money.... but Cedric will do just fine.
Agreed.. That would be way too un-Thompson like.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so we'd have:

Maurice Jones-Drew
Cedric Benson
James Starks
Alex Green
Brandon Saine
Marc Tyler
and John Kuhn who can run the ball.

Chances are we'd only keep 4 of those guys. Drop Green our 3rd round pick last year? Brandon Saine probably wouldn't stay on our practice squad. Drop Starks maybe, who was last year's starter? It just doesn't make sense. If we go after another Free Agent it should definitely be one of a more need position.

And yes, he wants a new mega contract when we've already got Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews, Raji and Finley in the next few years. Stupid.

I get your just bringing it up as a thought, but think things through next time.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For ****'s sake, really?

Q:What do Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Darren McFadden and Chris Johnson all have in common?

A: They all have ZERO super bowl rings.

Running back is the most fungible position in the NFL, and all you really need to do is be able to sell the idea of being able to run the ball. Why in the hell would we forfeit a draft pick for a back we really don't need?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q: What do Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, LeSean McCoy, MJD and a whole host of other big name running backs all have in common?

A: They all have ZERO Super Bowl rings.

You don't need a big name back to win football games. We proved that by making the playoffs over the past three years. All you need to have is the illusion of being able to run the ball. Do it well enough to open those passing lanes, which is what we have.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Jones-Drew wants out in Jacksonville, I think he'd be a great fit in GB. Maybe send a package deal for him? I was thinking Starks and Jones with a possible 5th round 2013 draft pick? Thoughts?

You honestly think thats the best Jacksonville could get for MJD?

First off, teams rarely trade a players for player(s), its not the NBA or MLB. Second, you really think you could just hand them 2 players on our team that arent starters and really not that good for their best player? I mean who in their right mind would do that?

Want to propose trading AJ Hawk for JJ Watt too?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q: What do Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, LeSean McCoy, MJD and a whole host of other big name running backs all have in common?

A: They all have ZERO Super Bowl rings.
You can add Ray Rice (who has a great defense), and you can add the whole career of LaDanian Tomlinson to that one, he who was the best RB of the 00's. Priest Holmes and Sean Alexander were close to him for a few years.... none won a ring. Only Alexander got to the game, and was beaten by the zebras.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you need a stud RB but the ability to run the ball with the lead is important, especially at the end of games. The illusion of a running game doesn't get it done. Defenses aren't that stupid.

I won't forget what Starks gave us in 2010- even if he's dropped from the roster. The line played better during that run as well.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Ok so we'd have:

Maurice Jones-Drew
Cedric Benson
James Starks
Alex Green
Brandon Saine
Marc Tyler
and John Kuhn who can run the ball.

Chances are we'd only keep 4 of those guys. Drop Green our 3rd round pick last year? Brandon Saine probably wouldn't stay on our practice squad. Drop Starks maybe, who was last year's starter? It just doesn't make sense. If we go after another Free Agent it should definitely be one of a more need position.

And yes, he wants a new mega contract when we've already got Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews, Raji and Finley in the next few years. Stupid.

I get your just bringing it up as a thought, but think things through next time.

Stupid? Think things through? Snide and condescending, not very friendly.

I've thought it through, and I'll respond:

Firstly, you're saying you can't imagine cutting Starks or Saine as your reason for not getting Jones. You have to be kidding. I'd cut 'em both in a second to make room for a prime-time back like Jones. What you suggest would be like the 49ers saying they couldn't possibly cut QB's Smith & Kaepernick to make room for Aaron Rodgers. Starks and Saine can be replaced every offseason by a rookie FA like Marc Tyler, losing them means nothing.

Who cares about Starks and Saine when your RB's are: Jones-Drew/Benson/Green/Kuhn?

Secondly, Jennings is 29 in about three weeks. I'll take the 27 y.o. Jones right now and let Jennings walk after the season if that's what it takes to add Jones. No mega-contract for Jennings, there's you money for Jones. Jennings would be 30 shortly after signing his $50MIL+ contract next year, and he's been injured last year and in camp this year...he could fall of just like Antonio Freeman did about 12 years ago when he hit 30 after signing a big contract.

Let Jennings go. In 2013, it's Nelson, Cobb, J. Jones at WR and Finley & Williams at TE. Oh yeah, and RB Jones raking in 40-50 catches. That should work out fine.

Thirdly, Jones is exactly what the Packers need. The holes Benson went through the other night where he got 5-to-10 yards would have been 20-to-40 yard runs for Jones. That's how much better Jones is than anyone the Packers have today. Jones is elite. His addition would be similar to adding Charles Woodson to the secondary, he doesn't just fill a hole, he brings All-Pro talent to an almost completely talentless position on this team.

Fourthly, had you "thought things through", you'd realize that just like KC did last year teams are going to play only six men in the box versus GB this year. They will ignore the Packers' non-existent rushing attack. That's their only way to stop Rodgers, and with the Packers pathetic RB's why not? But, if the Packers add RB Jones right now, all of the offseason plans by the DC's on every Packer opponent this season will be crushed. Jones will slice up every six-man front that is only focusing on Rodgers with their safeties deep.

Fifth, a good rushing attack has some benefits. It takes the heat off Rodgers, maybe keeping him healthy instead of just having teams tee-off on him. It takes some stress off of the Packers' poor defense by running some clock. Last, it really improves Rodgers' audibles, where he can hand-off/dump-pass to Jones for big yards instead of watching someone like Starks waste a down for a one-yard gain.

Jones-Drew on the Packers probably makes the season boring because everbody would know who's taking home the Lombardi.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
No. I'm not sacrificing Jennings, Matthews, or Raji for a position that doesn't matter.

We can't just pay everyone and have studs at every position.

27 means 3 years left of high production.

Since this is not going to happen anyway time to play devils advocate:
Why not trade Jennings? Do not renegotiate (this you confirm in advance) and use MJD for a two year rental. If Jones/Cobb/Nelson are as good as advertised, we would have studs at all skill positions for the next two seasons. Put all your chips in while the window is open. Get another WR to try and replace Jennings next draft and a RB the following one. Most of the team is still young and not too many glaring needs to fill over the next few years. Just need to continue drafting a few targeted replacements every season to stay near the top.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Since this is not going to happen anyway time to play devils advocate:
Why not trade Jennings? Do not renegotiate (this you confirm in advance) and use MJD for a two year rental. If Jones/Cobb/Nelson are as good as advertised, we would have studs at all skill positions for the next two seasons. Put all your chips in while the window is open. Get another WR to try and replace Jennings next draft and a RB the following one. Most of the team is still young and not too many glaring needs to fill over the next few years. Just need to continue drafting a few targeted replacements every season to stay near the top.

That would be crazy horrible to do.

And it won't happen.

I know you said it won't happen but still ugh.....

Members online