Packers first African American player

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...52?campaign=christl_history_20140712_27670486

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

When Mann joined the Packers he stayed at Goeben's Cabins, which were located behind Kroll's East along Main Street. Mann's cabin consisted of one room and a bath.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On his reception in Green Bay: Mann--“My first memory of the locker room was that I came up there on a Saturday with about three games left in the season. I remember it being small and the guys were all sitting around on the little benches. I think the first guy to come over and talk to me was (Tony) Canadeo. Everybody was friendly. We got along real well.”

On the reaction of Green Bay’s fans: Mann--“They were the greatest fans in the world. It’s the only place they don’t boo you.”

On playing in a city that had less than a handful of African-American residents at the time: Mann--(The only two blacks in the city at the time, according to Mann, were a porter for the Hotel Northland and a cook for the railroad.) “Those were the only two black people around. Ronzani was always nice about letting me leave town, going to Milwaukee or Chicago. I remember I had a 300 Chrysler, which would fly.”

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On any problems he had with opposing players: Mann--“The (Eagles) had a tackle who was nasty as could be. He made some derogatory remarks and we were walking off the field. We had won the game and I had scored three touchdowns. (Packers fullback) Jack Cloud came and kissed me on my cheek. I said, ‘What’s that all about?’ He said, ‘(Mike) Jarmoluk shouldn’t be making those remarks about you.’ I got my teeth knocked out that same game by Chuck Bednarik. I don’t think that was racial, though. I think he did that every Sunday.”

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got my teeth knocked out that same game by Chuck Bednarik. I don’t think that was racial, though. I think he did that every Sunday.”

Mann sounds like a guy that didn't bother to worry about too much

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts