Packers can't afford to keep Barnett?

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will go! AJ will start in his place. He did a good job replacing Barnett and being the QB of the defense!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would like to see him stay to get the record but its been common knowledge that he has to rework his deal in order to stay.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I would hate to see Barnett leave. He has a ton of energy and talent. However, I have faith in our fearless leaders in terms of wether or not we can afford him. (Side note: I have Barnett jersey so I want him to stay)

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he has been a staple at Mlb for years but hawk and bishop really stepped up last year that being said he is way to expensive to keep as a back up. I've seen him be fairly effective as a blitzer in his career any chance kevin greene can mold him into an OLB, i mean honestly we are looking at starting brad jones or brady poppinga he cant really be worse than those two at it can he?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he has been a staple at Mlb for years but hawk and bishop really stepped up last year that being said he is way to expensive to keep as a back up. I've seen him be fairly effective as a blitzer in his career any chance kevin greene can mold him into an OLB, i mean honestly we are looking at starting brad jones or brady poppinga he cant really be worse than those two at it can he?

its not the position. Its the $. Take a pay cut and a position change? yeah I dont think anyone is going to sell him that one.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is about the position and the money.... He is too expensive to be a second string Mlb where we already have two starters and a capable back up. If he was able to contribute at a starting level his price tag may seem a little more reasonable. But in the end you are probably right try selling a guy who has been here for years to take less money and move over wont be an easy thing to pull off

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could cut Chillar and Poppinga, and save the same amount of money cutting Barnett. Just a thought.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Packer Update has a list of the 30 highest paid Packers for 2011 currently under contract. Barnett is listed fourth and they are paying Bishop and Hawk starter's money so it's difficult to see how they keep Nick. And because other teams know the Packers will probably have to release him, it will probably be difficult to find a trading partner. Also, any team interested in him would probably prefer crafting a new deal for him. Why pay him nearly $6M this season when they could add a million or two and lock him up for more years and make his contract more cap friendly?

Although they say if the cap is $120M for this season the Packers are only about $62,000 under it, the good news is releasing or trading Barnett, plus releasing Tauscher (I hope he decides to retire instead), Poppinga, and Harrell would free up $12M. The article also highlights how well Thompson and his staff have managed the cap by taking advantage of last years' uncapped season.

We could cut Chillar and Poppinga, and save the same amount of money cutting Barnett. Just a thought.

According to the Packer Update list releasing Barnett would save almost $1.5M more than releasing Chillar and Poppinga. I favor trading/releasing Barnett and Poppinga because while Chillar would be slightly overpaid as a backup LB, Barnett would be grossly overpaid as a backup and I don't think his ego would handle not starting well.

Here's the link.