• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Confirmed.

The Packers also signed 2 guys today:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-running-back-defensive-lineman

Former Jags RB Corey Grant and Former Badger DL Olive Sagapolu.

If you never saw this, pretty impressive for a man weighing over 300#

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Impressive, but jumping out of a swimming pool is a sure fire indicator you will be success in the NFL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9.1 million. 7.8 guaranteed.

lol...just the Packers' luck...self inflicted.

I am not sure what this means?

This is a massive overpay and actually explains why Daniels signed so quickly after not meeting all the potential suitors. I bet no one was offering him close to this.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9.1 million. 7.8 guaranteed.

lol...just the Packers' luck...self inflicted.

Effing called it! I knew one of those divisional bastards were going to go right after him! I find it typical that it was The Lions no less. Hate to see him with Detroit as Daniels was one of my favorites on the team. But it's better than him joining The Vikings, but not by much.

Hope we blowout these suckers both times! God I feel Detroit is going to be a pain in the *** to deal with. It's like they'll suck against every other team, but when they play us they suddenly remember how to play football. -_-

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure what this means?

This is a massive overpay and actually explains why Daniels signed so quickly after not meeting all the potential suitors. I bet no one was offering him close to this.
2017 probowler. been a cornerstone player for the Packers. he's healthy. going rate is $10+m. 7.8 seems like a bargain. he talked to cle too.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2017 probowler. been a cornerstone player for the Packers. he's healthy. going rate is $10+m. 7.8 seems like a bargain. he talked to cle too.
Detroit always has a knack for overpaying for former Packer athletes.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions slowly becoming the late 2000s Vikings? Taking the last of our sloppy 2nds. I guess they are doing it to the Patsies pretty bad too.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You love saying 2017 pro bowler but just remember he made as an alternate. He was a good not great player who is coming off a down year and an injury. He got a 1 year deal. Cleveland has a ton of cap and the management knows him and they did not offer that.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Damon Harrison is not happy with his contract. Detroit might be looking to move him.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
While the Lions certainly got better, and the Packers certainly got worse comparatively in the Mike Daniels transaction. Overall, the Lions made quite a few (in my humble opinion) poor business decisions this offseason.

1.) Traded for a 30y/o Snacks Harrison and acquired his 3 year/22 million contract for a 30yo DT + a fifth rounder
2.) Paid Danny Amendola 4.5 million dollars to who arguably could be the worst starting WR in the NFC North
3.) Paid Jesse James a 4 year / 22 million dollar contract, then invested a TE with the #10 overall pick
—Also, may I add that Matthew Stafford historically cannot throw to TE’s (please note Eric Ebron when he has a top 10 QB)
4.) Paid 30 y/o Mike Daniels 9.1 million dollars to most likely be a rotational 3rd down DT
5.) Paid Trey Flowers 90 million dollars with 56 million guaranteed for a player I would not put into my top 10 for 4-3 DE’s.

I would not consider these good business transactions at this point in time. I could be proved very wrong come December...or very right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

if you're looking at dollars yes but the situation the Packers are in (win now) you want your best guys for that run. they cut their 2nd best DT who was a starter!

The Packers clearly didn't believe that Daniels was their second best defensive lineman anymore.

maybe internally they know the playoffs is a long shot and they just want to get younger guys more snaps.

That was definitely not the reason the Packers released Daniels.

i think it's pretty clear that from the signings they've made, and the words that have actually come from their own mouths, that they are in win-now mode. rodgers' age doubles-down on that narrative. rodgers asked the team to go all-in years ago and was ignored.

While the Packers are in win-mode now that doesn't mean their championship window closes after this season.

In my opinion the Lions significantly overpaid for Daniels because of his production in the past but didn't realize he's not the same player he was two years ago anymore.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would they have had to pay him if they had traded for him? I guess they would rather part with a little extra money than a 7th round draft pick. Then again maybe they figured GB wouldn't trade him to a divisional rival or they didn't want them to know they were interested. Subterfuge.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers clearly didn't believe that Daniels was their second best defensive lineman anymore.

clearly? bs. this was cap move. nothing more.

That was definitely not the reason the Packers released Daniels.
again...it was a cap move.

While the Packers are in win-mode now that doesn't mean their championship window closes after this season.
didn't say it was...but i did say the odds get longer after this year due to the lack of cap and probable lose of talent, they can't afford to keep, due to it.

In my opinion the Lions significantly overpaid for Daniels because of his production in the past but didn't realize he's not the same player he was two years ago anymore.

he's a bargain 7.8 guaranteed for det. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we’ll see. I know if GB would have signed him for 1 year 9.x I wouldn’t be overly excited but cautiously optimistic with him coming off a significant foot injury for a big man and his age.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we’ll see. I know if GB would have signed him for 1 year 9.x I wouldn’t be overly excited but cautiously optimistic with him coming off a significant foot injury for a big man and his age.
i don't think his age is such a big deal. he just turned 30 in may. suh is 32 (feb) and signed for 9.25 guaranteed.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Age by itself is not. But a significant foot injury on a big man that is heading to the backside of a career, age starts to become more important.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real question is: did the Packers get better? Obviously not! They cut their second best d lineman and don't have a replacement and likely ruined Clark's season in the mess because now he will get a huge dose of double teams. The Packers are a much worse team today than they were a couple of days ago. I don't buy the cap excuses for this debacle. They could've saved some cap space by not extending the slow, mediocre Dean Lowry and let Daniels walk after this season. The Packers defense was 23rd in the league last year against the run. Aaron and co will spend a lot of time on the sidelines watching what will likely be a bottom 5 to 10 defense against the run have the ball run down their throat.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The real question is: did the Packers get better? Obviously not! They cut their second best d lineman and don't have a replacement and likely ruined Clark's season in the mess because now he will get a huge dose of double teams. The Packers are a much worse team today than they were a couple of days ago. I don't buy the cap excuses for this debacle. They could've saved some cap space by not extending the slow, mediocre Dean Lowry and let Daniels walk after this season. The Packers defense was 23rd in the league last year against the run. Aaron and co will spend a lot of time on the sidelines watching what will likely be a bottom 5 to 10 defense against the run have the ball run down their throat.

Daniels played less than 40% of the snaps last year and Clark dominated.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark has been getting double teamed for awhile. It won't be new. I wouldn't say they're much worse considering Daniels faded and then was gone for almost half the year anyway. As for run stopping, they have more than a few guys that can fill his shoes and they have better guys to provide a pass rush from inside than what Daniels offered as of late. and that's assuming Daniels is what he was before the injury. If he's not, maybe we got a lot better and you just don't know it yet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What would they have had to pay him if they had traded for him? I guess they would rather part with a little extra money than a 7th round draft pick. Then again maybe they figured GB wouldn't trade him to a divisional rival or they didn't want them to know they were interested. Subterfuge.

If another team had traded for Daniels he would have been due to earn $7.6 million in base salary and another $500K in per game roster bonuses this season.

clearly? bs. this was cap move. nothing more.

While the cap situation definitely factored into the decision to release Daniels the Packers wouldn't have cut him if they weren't convinced there's a chance to adequately replace him.

didn't say it was...but i did say the odds get longer after this year due to the lack of cap and probable lose of talent, they can't afford to keep, due to it.

The Packers need young players still on their rookie deals to perform above expectations to content for another Super Bowl. If Gutekunst has been able to add such talent to the roster over the past two drafts the team can extend its championship window. Ideally the GM will be able to provide even more help in the near future.

I vehemently disagree with that take.

It seems you have a hard time understanding that Daniels significantly regressed last season before suffering a season ending injury that might bother him moving forward.

The Packers lost some quality depth on the defensive line but as long as the starters on the front seven stay healthy should be fine.

H

HardRightEdge

I also don’t see our D line as being in some dire strait situation like several posters expressed in their concerns after Mike was released.(although I would’ve ideally liked to have seen Mo make a full recovery and sign for 5M again) I think we might even raise the bar a notch.
DLs (as designated on the roster sheet) totaled 2303 snaps last season on 1064 team defensive snaps.

That means the Packers used 2.16 DLs per play on average. This is reflective of how infrequently the 3-man base line is used.

DL snap counts will probably go down from there with more usage of OLBs at 3-tech. The Packers might lose a little something in base run D if Daniels were healthy, which is an "if", but I don't think it will be much with Adams, for example. Maybe not at all. Certainly not $7 mil worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ouch that one hurt. One thing is for certain, he's enthused. That simply confirms what we already know in regards to how pitiful the FO was in regards to addressing the defense as well as getting a good DC. I don't think Patricia is that great imo. Maybe he is saying this just for the sake of saying the right things. I hope that's the case. I'm pissed Detroit got him, though I find it typical of them.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Ouch that one hurt. One thing is for certain, he's enthused. That simply confirms what we already know in regards to how pitiful the FO was in regards to addressing the defense as well as getting a good DC. I don't think Patricia is that great imo. Maybe he is saying this just for the sake of saying the right things. I hope that's the case. I'm pissed Detroit got him, though I find it typical of them.
Despite what Mike Daniels said...he went to Detroit because they paid him. The Browns probably offered one year 5-6 million, and the Lions offered one year 9.2 million with 7 guaranteed. A gross overpay in my opinion, but that’s what the Lions did for every player they acquired in the offseason.