Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I`m not disagreeing with that argument, I merely said he looked a different player in that game prior to the injury was all.

I didn't watch the game but availability is a major factor in evaluating a player, especially the ones being paid like Daniels.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, yes that's true. But relative cost against what Martinez himself will demand as a 26 year old FA? I could see them doing as well or better than Martinez with an older vet for a lot less money than he will get paid. So I'm in favor of doing that and drafting a linebacker.
I still believe we need one or two big pluggers on the line like a Gilbert Brown or a Raji. Our MLB has his work cut out for him if the middle is porous. We made strides this season on defense. Maybe next year we can add to it. Of course, if it was me I would change back to a 4-3.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe we need one or two big pluggers on the line like a Gilbert Brown or a Raji. Our MLB has his work cut out for him if the middle is porous. We made strides this season on defense. Maybe next year we can add to it. Of course, if it was me I would change back to a 4-3.
I think a big immoveable guy in the middle would be nice, and get Clark on the outside mostly at DE and keep the 3-4. I am in favor of signing aging vet that won't price himself out and draft more at ILB for future over paying Martinez what he's likely going to look for and probably get close to from someone. I started this year thinking a 5-6 a year range would be ok for him, now i'm not even really buying at that price from what i've been seeing. Not at all. Familiarity with a defense is only worth so much.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a big immoveable guy in the middle would be nice, and get Clark on the outside mostly at DE and keep the 3-4. I am in favor of signing aging vet that won't price himself out and draft more at ILB for future over paying Martinez what he's likely going to look for and probably get close to from someone. I started this year thinking a 5-6 a year range would be ok for him, now i'm not even really buying at that price from what i've been seeing. Not at all. Familiarity with a defense is only worth so much.
Agreed. Martinez will likely get an offer for more than he’s worth. I’d rather see that money used on a FA who can truly play the position. IMHO, Martinez is just a guy.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about the injury. If he was playing, he'd be better than Adams. He'd bring something different from Lancaster and Lowry. He could make plays in the backfield that they can't. if he's healthy. That's a big if. And he was good enough and experienced enough that would have allowed clark to get off the field more often. I swear, they're going to turn him into the world's oldest 23 year old if they keep playing him at this rate. Also, he'll be spent by January.

I don't know what gute or anyone else knew about his injury, but if it was just about play they should have kept him. He was better than what they have outside of Clark.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It would be great to have a run defender like Damon Harrison as an inside defensive lineman but those guys are scarce. The Packers changing their scheme to a 4-3 won't improve the unit at all.

Agreed. Martinez will likely get an offer for more than he’s worth. I’d rather see that money used on a FA who can truly play the position. IMHO, Martinez is just a guy.

Unfortunately inside linebackers that excel defending the run and in coverage rarely make it to free agency. If they do $5-6 million a season won't be enough to lure any of them to Green Bay.

It's all about the injury. If he was playing, he'd be better than Adams. He'd bring something different from Lancaster and Lowry. He could make plays in the backfield that they can't. if he's healthy. That's a big if.

Daniels was that kind of player some years ago but at this point he's not an impact guy anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Big Mike put on IR today. Daniels finishes his 2019 season with nine games and 189 snaps played, recording 10 tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack, and two quarterback hits.

Good money saving move by Gute.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big Mike put on IR today. Daniels finishes his 2019 season with nine games and 189 snaps played, recording 10 tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack, and two quarterback hits.

Good money saving move by Gute.
It's worked out surprisingly well for us....

The arm chair GMs don't have the opportunity to see the intricate subtleties of players character....

True I was basing my opinion on Daniels previous impacts. On the quality of depth and our unproven big boys.

Injuries seem to be the major deciding factor in our success in the win column.... Seeing our guys day to day. And interviewing players on other teams. Its fairly obvious gute and lafleur have a better ability to see who is ready to play and who is going through the motions, And end up hurt alot because of it...

I don't mind being wrong. But I tell you what. This reminds me a lot of capers first year here when we drafted Raji and Mathews. The defense exploded. Then slowly and progressively faded away as the Sherman 4-3 guys got phazed out. (imo)
Our 3-4 worked great when the front 7 was built for .4-3 and added a couple crucial 3-4 cogs . Once we enter full phaze capers 2-4-5. It became all finesse and we got steam rolled too often.

I still believe we are in danger of getting steam rolled if Clark goes down. And with Clark if we have a super bowl caliber offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most posters around here expected the Packers not missing a beat without Daniels.

Yup. I loved the guy but it was too much money and not enough performance at this point in his career. Made sense from a play standpoint and fiscally.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game but availability is a major factor in evaluating a player, especially the ones being paid like Daniels.
Better to move on a year early than a year late. In this case, it was the perfect time to move on.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels play had dropped off 2 seasons before the Packers let him go. Some posters don't seem to notice, especially with a guy as likeable as Daniels.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
cap wise it has but they're very poor against the run up the middle as we all know, with clark being the only stud, and martinez alone on an island at ilb. that'll be a major point in FA, or the draft, or both. gute still a lot to fix.
"I was wrong" isn't that hard to type.

Latest posts