Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Packers will release Daniels.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a big surprise. Guess they could not trade him with his big salary. Still, I liked him and certainly wish him the best.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get this move. Where is the additional cap space gonna go to? Sure, we can roll it over to next year but I still think we could have used him. And I rather see that money spend this year. Maybe Martinez gets his contract now?

Wish you all the best Mike, you were a fighter and I think you deserved to play out your contract here.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I dont get this move. Where is the additional cap space gonna go to?

I don't necessarily believe the Packers will use the cap space created by releasing Daniels to sign a veteran before the start of the season. It gives them some flexibility to manage it though in 2019. I'm quite sure the coaching staff was convinced that the defensive line has enough quality depth to make the move at this point.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move made sense in February but not sure why you do it now unless Martinez and Kenny Clark are about to get extensions. Daniels didnt grade out very well from PFF. He was just behind Lowry and just ahead of Montravius Adams. That production isnt worth 10 million, but I am still confused as to why they didnt do it before free agency.

I wonder how much we will see Smith or Gary on the interior on passing downs? If that was the plan all along Daniels may not have been on the field as much this year

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This move made sense in February but not sure why you do it now unless Martinez and Kenny Clark are about to get extensions. Daniels didnt grade out very well from PFF. He was just behind Lowry and just ahead of Montravius Adams. That production isnt worth 10 million, but I am still confused as to why they didnt do it before free agency.

The Packers wouldn't have benefitted from releasing Daniels earlier aside of saving another $400K in cap space by not having him to pay his workout bonus.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers wouldn't have benefitted from releasing Daniels earlier aside of saving another $400K in cap space by not having him to pay his workout bonus.

True. Just figured once you signed the Smiths and drafted Gary you knew Daniels was out so why not do it then. I am fine with cutting Daniels just the timing seems a little off

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that takes care of that. I didn’t expect a release now. Maybe if he can’t come back during camp to what he was before injury, or if he played well enough to garner some decent trade interest. But didn’t see it coming now at all. Not terribly surprising though all things considered.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
True. Just figured once you signed the Smiths and drafted Gary you knew Daniels was out so why not do it then. I am fine with cutting Daniels just the timing seems a little off
No harm in waiting it out. You got to let the draft play out, offseason program, OTAs, start of training camp, etc. If it took until now for the team to release him, then so be it. They didn't make a hasty decision early on in the process.

To captain's point, the team must feel comfortable with what they've seen so far from the other guys. Maybe they were reluctant prior to now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I guess that takes care of that. I didn’t expect a release now. Maybe if he can’t come back during camp to what he was before injury, or if he played well enough to garner some decent trade interest. But didn’t see it coming now at all. Not terribly surprising though all things considered.

I guess the Packers didn't find another team interested in trading for him while he's scheduled to earn $8.1 million this season.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the Packers didn't find another team interested in trading for him while he's scheduled to earn $8.1 million this season.

Daniels current production didnt match his salary so I am not surprised they couldnt find a trade partner. I know a lot of Packer fans on social media and sports radio are going to be ranting about not trading Daniels but the question is this. Would you have traded for a guy producing like Daniels who is owed 8 million? No way. I dont think teams want to pay him that much let alone trade an asset for him

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could say this surprises me but it doesn't. We lose another key leader, and on the defensive side no less.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could say this surprises me but it doesn't. We lose another key leader, and on the defensive side no less.

Are leaders worth much when their play is declining and they are getting overpaid? The Packers added a lot of faces on defense. Would have those new guys seen Daniels as a leader when he was borderline losing his starting spot?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are leaders worth much when their play is declining and they are getting overpaid? The Packers added a lot of faces on defense. Would have those new guys seen Daniels as a leader when he was borderline losing his starting spot?
Who was beating him out though? I certainly don't recall anyone beating him in his position, and I while he may be declining he still was one of our best rushers, or better rushers. Plus he's a veteran leader. Didn't he have another year in his contract?

Again i'm not surprised that we released him. Had I known we were going to release him, I would've tried to make a trade personally a year or two prior.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing that bothers me about the timing, it really doesn't benefit the Packers, unless they are planning on spending the saved cap money between now and the final cut date.

If that isn't the case, injuries and other things in the next 5 weeks could have solidified the need to keep Daniels.

Obviously, the Packers did Mike a solid by releasing him now and not waiting until the final cut down, but given that he is a pretty decent vet, he finds a new team either way.

Still scratching my head a bit at the timing, not really at the idea as much. The Packers are obviously wanting to play faster on the defensive front and fast wasn't really Daniels skill set.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that bothers me about the timing, it really doesn't benefit the Packers, unless they are planning on spending the saved cap money between now and the final cut date.

If that isn't the case, injuries and other things in the next 5 weeks could have solidified the need to keep Daniels.

Obviously, the Packers did Mike a solid by releasing him now and not waiting until the final cut down, but given that he is a pretty decent vet, he finds a new team either way.

Still scratching my head a bit at the timing.
Watch him join a team that potentially cause us problems down the road.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was beating him out though. I certainly don't recall anyone beating him in his position, and I while he may be declining he still was one of our best rushers. Plus he's a veteran leader. Didn't he have another year in his contract?

He WAS one of our best rushers. He wasnt last year and definitely wouldnt be this year with the additions of the Smiths and Gary. Just 2 sacks in 10 games last year. He really wasnt any better than Lowry and is more injury prone. Heck he only had 0.5 sack more than Montravius Adams.

On the dline he was going to be behind Clark and Lowry as a pass rusher. I see Smith or Gary sliding inside on passing downs as of now anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watch him join a team that potentially cause us problems down the road.
I don't think his skill set is that dynamic that he will create much of an issue playing against the Packers, if he was THAT good, the Packers would have hung on to him. But sure, he will provide someone with a decent rotational guy who may still have some tread on his tires.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think his skill set is that dynamic that he will create much of an issue playing against the Packers, if he was THAT good, the Packers would have hung on to him. But sure, he will provide someone with a decent rotational guy who may still have some tread on his tires.
I think someone will find him serviceable, especially to a contender for a one year rental. I'll be pissed if one of our division rivals grab him.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think someone will find him serviceable, especially to a contender for a one year rental. I'll be pissed if one of our division rivals grab him.
Well it wont be the Vikings. They dont have much money left. The Bears could grab him but I dont he fits them super well

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Did they think Mike Daniels was hurt or what they seen during the off season came to the conclusion he isnt what he once was and decided to release him at the star of TC to see if he can join another team.

Latest posts