Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Reaction score
It is possible that the widely discussed "accountability" issues might have extended to Daniels.
I agree with most of your post, but I think that wasn’t a factor here. Sometimes we dig too deep, whereas I think the answer is right in front of us. He’s aging, becoming injury prone and slightly overpaid (at least in our FO eyes). Add that to I believe we think we’re fine at the DL.
I’m not really concerned at all after adding La’Darius and Gary and I think they want to give Montravius some more looks also. They might be thinking bringing LaDarius up more and getting Fackrell at that OLB spot with Preston

. i understand the reason they let him go though...cap room. there isn't a football reason to let him go.
I’ve also seen some speculation that he didn’t fit the protypical body type of what Pettine is looking for,
I’m not not sure if that’s fully true but it also stands in line with what we’ve seen in the last couple of drafts and FA as a whole (taller, faster, younger, healthier track records replacing guys who are or near the end of their football life cycle and who are slowing down or often injured. (Jordy, Cobb, Perry, Mathews and Daniels were all staples of this team just a few short years ago).
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we move on from Bulaga at years end to stay in this trend of players surprisingly let go.
But yes, money always factors in significantly. Let’s face it if Daniels resigned for a 2yr/4M extension and we reworked his contract at 4M annual? (for illustration) he’d very likely still be here.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we move on from Bulaga at years end to stay in this trend of players surprisingly let go.
Bulaga is a free agent after this season. It shouldn't be a surprise if he is not re-signed. If he misses some games again, which history indicates would not be surprising either, and the replacement (Turner perhaps) performs competently, Bulaga not returning will be that much less of a surprise.

Reaction score
Bulaga is a free agent after this season. It shouldn't be a surprise if he is not re-signed. If he misses some games again, which history indicates would not be surprising either, and the replacement (Turner perhaps) performs competently, Bulaga not returning will be that much less of a surprise.
Yes. So what you’re saying then is it shouldn’t be a surprise, would not be a surprise or it will be that much less of surprise. Or are you saying you’re surprised that I wouldn’t be surprised? I’m sorry. I’m going to bed. Nite don’t let the bedbugs bite

H

HardRightEdge

Yes. So what you’re saying then is it shouldn’t be a surprise, would not be a surprise or it will be that much less of surprise. Or are you saying you’re surprised that I wouldn’t be surprised? I’m sorry. I’m going to bed. Nite don’t let the bedbugs bite
You could be a little surprised, more surprised or even the most surprised. That's up to each unique snowflake to find within himself. ;) Let's just say the more reasons accumulate that argue for a particular action, the less suprised you should be. We can be sure of one thing...there are always a lot of suprises in store.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To ensure that you're the one who ends up with him.

That is a very legit reason to trade for a guy who is likely to get cut but I think its more for a guy who is subject to waivers or who's contract is such that several teams may get in a bidding war over him. I don't think either of those apply to Daniels in this case. Now that he is a FA he can sign with anyone so the waiver order doesn't apply and if a team wanted him enough to consider trading for him at his current salary they could just offer him that much or close to it and there is a good chance he will take it. Some other team may outbid you but if they were serious enough about him to offer him more money they probably would have offered at least a 7th rounder to get him at a cheaper price. I'd be willing to bet any team willing to pay Daniels what he would be owed if traded for would be able to sign him for that much and save the draft pick.

but in a trade you've given up draft capital and you're on the hook for that last year in his contract. that's too much for a one year rental. no?

Depends on the guy. In this case i think it is but if a team thinks he still has a few year left they may be able to extend him.

I think it was his salary more than anything that prevented a trade and not draft capital. IMO any player you like well enough to consider trading for is worth at least a 7th round offer if the salary isn't out of line and since it would have been the only offer the Packers got they would have taken it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's not signed within days I think it's safe to say his foot is much more of a concern than we might think. Even at 800K, if the man can't play, he's not very valuable. I'm just putting out a possible scenario of course, I have no idea how well he's recovered. But I have to think if he is, he'll be signed rather quickly.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If it is 2019-2020 or bust, then they can easily extend both Clark and Martinez.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the Packers have to extend Clark at some point. It might be cheaper to sign him to a long-term contract now than to wait until the end of the 2019 season. In my opinion there's no hurry to make a decision on Martinez though.

Are the cap numbers including the usual projected 10 million dollar increase?

It's important to note that the current CBA only runs through the 2020 season. It's anybody's guess what happens afterwards.

Yesterday, before overthecap moved Daniels from under contract to the dead money list, they showed him as having a $7.1 mil in salary and $500,000 in per game bonuses, indicating $7.6 mil in savings. Now, they show those figures as $6.6 mil + $500,000.

The Packers would have paid Daniels $7.6 million in base salary in 2019. In addition they gained another $312,500 in cap space at this point as that was considered the likely to be earned per game bonus for him entering this season. The $400K workout bonus had already been earned. Therefore the team releasing him at this point resulted in additional cap space of $7.9 million.

why give up something when you know he's about to be released?

If any team would have deemed Daniels worth earning $8 million in 2019 they would have given up a late round pick to secure his rights.

based on this forum i don't think Packers fans believe he IS valuable. he was a probowler in 17. the 2nd best dt on the team. as for a trade, again it's that last year of the contract that's the killer for a cap-strapped team...as it was for the Packers. he'll be much cheaper now as a free agent.

Daniels was a great player for most of his tenure in Green Bay but he regressed last season and suffered a severe injury. Therefore I completely understand the team not considering him to be worth $8 million entering 2019. In addition I have more confidence in the team's depth at the position than you.

I think the failure to trade Daniels is that most teams don't have much cap space this close to the beginning of training camp. If he would wait until teams get desperate because of injuries later in training camp, Gute could've made a deal. Cutting Daniels now was a kneejerk reaction.

There are currently 13 teams in the league having more than $20 million in cap space. They agreed with Gutekunst that he wasn't worth $8 million at this point in his career though.

I’m not really concerned at all after adding La’Darius and Gary and I think they want to give Montravius some more looks also. They might be thinking bringing LaDarius up more and getting Fackrell at that OLB spot with Preston

If the Packers move Za'Darius Smith inside Gary will receive snaps on the edge instead of Fackrell.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the failure to trade Daniels is that most teams don't have much cap space this close to the beginning of training camp. If he would wait until teams get desperate because of injuries later in training camp, Gute could've made a deal. Cutting Daniels now was a kneejerk reaction.

The Chiefs and Browns, two of the teams with heavy interest, both have more than enough.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any team would have deemed Daniels worth earning $8 million in 2019 they would have given up a late round pick to secure his rights.

Daniels was a great player for most of his tenure in Green Bay but he regressed last season and suffered a severe injury. Therefore I completely understand the team not considering him to be worth $8 million entering 2019. In addition I have more confidence in the team's depth at the position than you.
not when they knew he was being cut and could be had for 2 or 3 without giving up a pick. it would be silly to do that.

i get the money part and agree with it in that respect but again he's still a very good player and i disagree with the move for football reasons. football wise a team needing all the talent they can muster to even make the playoffs doesn't cut a guy like daniels. maybe internally they know the playoffs is a long shot and they just want to get younger guys more snaps. if that's how they're thinking then i'm good with that too. just don't tell me the super bowl is your goal and then turn around a cut a starter.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
not when they knew he was being cut and could be had for 2 or 3 without giving up a pick. it would be silly to do that.

i get the money part and agree with it in that respect but again he's still a very good player and i disagree with the move for football reasons. football wise a team needing all the talent they can muster to even make the playoffs doesn't cut a guy like daniels. maybe internally they know the playoffs is a long shot and they just want to get younger guys more snaps. if that's how they're thinking then i'm good with that too. just don't tell me the super bowl is your goal and then turn around a cut a starter.
The only person making the assumption that Mike Daniels would be a starter is you. Given the injury, age, regression, dollar amount, etc., I'm going to trust the judgment of the Packers in this situation.

The fact that the Packers didn't cut Daniels sooner leads me to believe that it wasn't just a cap casualty. They waited throughout the offseason program to get more insight on the other guys in the position group, and they also assessed where Daniels is at right now and they felt, based on the information presented to them, that it was time to move on.

If Daniels goes somewhere and wreaks havoc, you got me. But the Packers clearly feel like he isn't a difference maker anymore.

Doesn't mean that they'll ultimately be correct, but to automatically assume that the Packers are wrong when they have WAY more insight in the matter than you, is a little far fetched to say the least.

Also - hiring a 39 year old head coach who's installing a completely new offense isn't a decision that's made with the thought of "WIN NOW AT ALL COSTS". I'm not sure why you're insistent on believing that the Packers should be all in for this season, when literally every move that's been made completely contradicts that line of thinking.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was his salary more than anything that prevented a trade and not draft capital. IMO any player you like well enough to consider trading for is worth at least a 7th round offer if the salary isn't out of line and since it would have been the only offer the Packers got they would have taken it.
agreed on the salary at this late stage of the off-season. most everyone's money is pretty much spent. there are still some teams out there with plenty of cap (the colts) who could sign a decently paid late cut during/after preseason.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also - hiring a 39 year old head coach who's installing a completely new offense isn't a decision that's made with the thought of "WIN NOW AT ALL COSTS". I'm not sure why you're insistent on believing that the Packers should be all in for this season, when literally every move that's been made completely contradicts that line of thinking.
i think it's pretty clear that from the signings they've made, and the words that have actually come from their own mouths, that they are in win-now mode. rodgers' age doubles-down on that narrative. rodgers asked the team to go all-in years ago and was ignored. front office and coaching staff changes were made to correct that egregious error.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am interested to see what happens with Daniels. According to PFF he has been average for a couple years. His peers rated him as a top 100 player in 2018. There is obviously a difference in how he was viewed. I think his play had slipped quite a bit before the injury last year. Obviously some people disagree. There are quite a few teams interested in him but we will see what price they are interested in him at. I wonder if he is looking at more of a clay Matthews type deal?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed on the salary at this late stage of the off-season. most everyone's money is pretty much spent. there are still some teams out there with plenty of cap (the colts) who could sign a decently paid late cut during/after preseason.

The salary is the issue but not because teams don't have the money. They just don't want to spend that much in Daniels. The colts, browns and chiefs all have the cap space to easily absorb an 8 million dollar deal and could have given up a pick to guarantee Daniels. Those three teams all decided he wasn't worth that money and a late pick and are gambling they can get him cheaper even though it now opens the door to more bidders.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
i think it's pretty clear that from the signings they've made, and the words that have actually come from their own mouths, that they are in win-now mode. rodgers' age doubles-down on that narrative. rodgers asked the team to go all-in years ago and was ignored. front office and coaching staff changes were made were to correct that egregious error.
You're arguing just to argue at this point. All over the place.

Reaction score
You could be a little surprised, more surprised or even the most surprised. That's up to each unique snowflake to find within himself. ;) Let's just say the more reasons accumulate that argue for a particular action, the less suprised you should be. We can be sure of one thing...there are always a lot of suprises in store.
Funny. I once heard a politician say in response to a question she was presented about the current President in his hay day. They asked if she was disappointed with a particular decision he made. She calmly said “not really..disappointment is related to expectations”. :eek:
It was a brilliant slap in the face without using one foul word. Although I supported that particular US President, I was impressed by her wit nevertheless

Mike likely would’ve played up to his 8M dead $, but I can also see where he would’ve been prohibitive in regards to getting the newer D additions meaningful snaps.

I also don’t see our D line as being in some dire strait situation like several posters expressed in their concerns after Mike was released.(although I would’ve ideally liked to have seen Mo make a full recovery and sign for 5M again) I think we might even raise the bar a notch.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The salary is the issue but not because teams don't have the money. They just don't want to spend that much in Daniels. The colts, browns and chiefs all have the cap space to easily absorb an 8 million dollar deal and could have given up a pick to guarantee Daniels. Those three teams all decided he wasn't worth that money and a late pick and are gambling they can get him cheaper even though it now opens the door to more bidders.
he's free now. it'll be 2-3 million not 8. don't know about ind but chiefs and browns don't need dt help.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's free now. it'll be 2-3 million not 8. don't know about ind but chiefs and browns don't need dt help.

That is the point. No one viewed his as an 8 million player. No one views him that way because he wasnt before he injury last year and now he is coming back off a major injury. GB must have seen enough to believe Adams and Lowry along with the ability to move Smith and Gary inside on passing downs make him expendable.

He already visited the Browns and will visit the Chiefs. Teams might be looking at him as a rotational player worth taking a flier on that he catches some of his old magic.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're arguing just to argue at this point. All over the place.
lol...but you said..."I'm not sure why you're insistent on believing that the Packers should be all in for this season, when literally every move that's been made completely contradicts that line of thinking." i just pointed out that literally everything they've done (except cutting daniels imo) follows the "win-now" and "all-in" narrative that they themselves have set forth.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the point. No one viewed his as an 8 million player. No one views him that way because he wasnt before he injury last year and now he is coming back off a major injury. GB must have seen enough to believe Adams and Lowry along with the ability to move Smith and Gary inside on passing downs make him expendable.

He already visited the Browns and will visit the Chiefs. Teams might be looking at him as a rotational player worth taking a flier on that he catches some of his old magic.
and i've agreed with that. i've agreed that it was a good cap move. i just don't agree that it was a good football move for a team trying to win now. for a team in transition trying to just get better and develop guys then i'm on board moving on from daniels.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts