Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

i get the joke but the preseason isn't the proving ground of a D or an O. it's talent evaluation time. it's roster building time. jimmy johnson took winning in the preseason seriously once, went 4-0, and then promptly went 1-15 during the season.

True, as another example the Lions went 4-0 during the preseason before not winning a single game in the regular season in 2008.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE - Defensive genius Matt Patricia chokes away an 18 point 4th quarter lead to the lowly Cardinals and the game ends in a 27-27 tie.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Daniels is still happy the Packers cut him and still thinks if Patricia is still a genius. :laugh:

Im looking at The Lions forum and they are pissed!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
UPDATE - Defensive genius Matt Patricia chokes away an 18 point 4th quarter lead to the lowly Cardinals and the game ends in a 27-27 tie.
Daniels one assisted tackle. Not sure how many snaps he played and what not. Still though...doesn’t sound as if he’s making a significant impact.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if Daniels is still happy the Packers cut him and still thinks if Patricia is still a genius. :laugh:

Im looking at The Lions forum and they are pissed!
1st game

Just like packers...don't read a ton into it..

Didn't Detroit beat ne last year?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st game

Just like packers...don't read a ton into it..

Didn't Detroit beat ne last year?
Considering they beat up a banged up Rodgers on both counts, and considering how long it's been since they've actually swept us, I suppose they were due for a win or two.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In 2 games, Daniels has played a total of 58 snaps and has 1 assisted tackle. That's his statistics through two games.

Gee I sure wish we were still paying him 8 million a year for all of that pro bowl production.

I'm not going to mention any names, but some genius proclaimed that the Packers cutting Daniels was nothing but a cap move. He was our SECOND BEST defensive lineman. Cutting him meant that the Packers were PUNTING on the season!

Meanwhile all the Packers have done is give up an average of 9.5 points per game while being stripped of the perennial presence of Mike Daniels. :whistling:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels just sucks. Plain and simple. He was a blow hard, who talked a very big talk, then went absent more often than not, especially when we needed him in the playoffs.

In 10 playoff games for the Packers he amassed 2.5 sacks, 17 tackles, 10 assists, 2 TFL and 6 QB hits, 0 FF, 0 FR, 0 PD... TOTAL... Shocking. That's what he did in 418 snaps.

And, who was he going to punch in the mouth? Enjoy Detroilet, Mike.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2 games, Daniels has played a total of 58 snaps and has 1 assisted tackle. That's his statistics through two games.

Gee I sure wish we were still paying him 8 million a year for all of that pro bowl production.

I'm not going to mention any names, but some genius proclaimed that the Packers cutting Daniels was nothing but a cap move. He was our SECOND BEST defensive lineman. Cutting him meant that the Packers were PUNTING on the season!

Meanwhile all the Packers have done is give up an average of 9.5 points per game while being stripped of the perennial presence of Mike Daniels. :whistling:
Stats arent important. Its the system. He is actually a great player. Its not just about sacks, pressures are extremely important, athough he didnt do that very well either.

Wait, which DL in Michigan are we talking about?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels just sucks. Plain and simple. He was a blow hard, who talked a very big talk, then went absent more often than not, especially when we needed him in the playoffs.

In 10 playoff games for the Packers he amassed 2.5 sacks, 17 tackles, 10 assists, 2 TFL and 6 QB hits, 0 FF, 0 FR, 0 PD... TOTAL... Shocking. That's what he did in 418 snaps.

And, who was he going to punch in the mouth? Enjoy Detroilet, Mike.
Come on, Daniels was a great player for us. A late pick who busted his butt and gave us some great games and became a leader. Yes his play has waned, but it happens to all players.

I wish him the best. And will thank him for his efforts if our paths should ever cross.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, Daniels was a great player for us. A late pick who busted his butt and gave us some great games and became a leader. Yes his play has waned, but it happens to all players.

I wish him the best. And will thank him for his efforts if our paths should ever cross.

Thanks Amish. As usual, a fair and measured response.

Daniels was better than good for a number of years and gave it pretty much full effort all the time.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Stats arent important. Its the system. He is actually a great player. Its not just about sacks, pressures are extremely important, athough he didnt do that very well either.

Stats don’t tell the entire story. But when you get nearly goose egged across the board in every single statistical category, it most definitely helps to understand a situation.

Also a big difference in a multi year veteran, former pro bowl level player and a young rookie.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels isn't bad, but paying him that much to play less than half the snaps is just bad management.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

he was their 2nd best DT and i never said they were punting on the season. i said their middle got worse. he successfully took on double teams most of the time and i believe he was one of the highest rated dt's in pressures. who's doing that now besides clark? and it was nothing but a cap move. at the time they had less than $2m.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniel's out with a foot injury again. Don't know how bad, or if it's even the same foot. Has done pretty much nothing up to this point anyway. I think we got rid of a guy who is declining and whose body is breaking down just in time.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
he was their 2nd best DT and i never said they were punting on the season. i said their middle got worse. he successfully took on double teams most of the time and i believe he was one of the highest rated dt's in pressures. who's doing that now besides clark? and it was nothing but a cap move. at the time they had less than $2m.
So the first two games, Daniels has been ineffective. And now he has another injury. When are you going to consider the possibility that the Packers made the correct football move? You've been insistent that it was only a cap decision. I maintained from the beginning that if the Packers felt like he could still make a difference, he would be on the roster.

A part of making decisions like cutting Daniels is projecting how useful that player will be for the upcoming season. The Packers obviously had better information than we the fans are privy to. Through three games, it's looking like the Packers were ahead of the curve on this one.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again...they had less than $2m in cap space. they made the right decision cap wise. it was a no-brainer, but football wise they rolled the dice. they may ultimately look good for it but i'm sure you did see the middle of the D get gashed yesterday. his absence was part of that.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
again...they had less than $2m in cap space. they made the right decision cap wise. it was a no-brainer, but football wise they rolled the dice. they may ultimately look good for it but i'm sure you did see the middle of the D get gashed yesterday. his absence was part of that.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
He has one assisted tackle in 3 games.

Additionally, if he can't stay on the field, it doesn't matter anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think many of us hated to see Big Mike being shown the door, but turns out he wasn't worth hanging on to just for sentimental reasons. His play had progressively declined and the Packers knew it. Smart move on Gute's part.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well.
Played.
Sir.

On another note, did ANYBODY see his stats through 10 playoff games for us? Wow.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniel's out with a foot injury again. Don't know how bad, or if it's even the same foot. Has done pretty much nothing up to this point anyway. I think we got rid of a guy who is declining and whose body is breaking down just in time.
Too bad they didn’t figure that out about Graham....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Too bad they didn’t figure that out about Graham....

After 3/15/2019, when his roster bonus was guaranteed, it really wouldn't have mattered enough to cut him. Even had they cut him before then, the savings wasn't probably viewed as worth the possibility of him having a good season, which he still has a chance to do last time I checked.

Packers signed him to a contract that pretty much guaranteed he would be in Green Bay for 2 years. People regretting the Packers keeping Graham, should just say "we never should have signed him", which using hindsight, I would now agree with.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
After 3/15/2019, when his roster bonus was guaranteed, it really wouldn't have mattered enough to cut him. Even had they cut him before then, the savings wasn't probably viewed as worth the possibility of him having a good season, which he still has a chance to do last time I checked.

Packers signed him to a contract that pretty much guaranteed he would be in Green Bay for 2 years. People regretting the Packers keeping Graham, should just say "we never should have signed him", which using hindsight, I would now agree with.
Surprisingly, despite what others would proclaim, the Packers are in a reasonably decent cap situation, given what they are paying to the quarterback (which was non optional, go away gbgary). There are contracts they can get out of that would provide nice cap flexibility, but won’t be detrimental to the team.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprisingly, despite what others would proclaim, the Packers are in a reasonably decent cap situation, given what they are paying to the quarterback (which was non optional, go away gbgary). There are contracts they can get out of that would provide nice cap flexibility, but won’t be detrimental to the team.
;)
they're in the bottom 18% of the league in cap space for next year as of right now.

Latest posts