Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Martinez has been average this season but in free agency it would most likely take several millions a year to sign an inside linebacker performing at that level.

Ok, yes that's true. But relative cost against what Martinez himself will demand as a 26 year old FA? I could see them doing as well or better than Martinez with an older vet for a lot less money than he will get paid. So I'm in favor of doing that and drafting a linebacker.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Ok, yes that's true. But relative cost against what Martinez himself will demand as a 26 year old FA? I could see them doing as well or better than Martinez with an older vet for a lot less money than he will get paid. So I'm in favor of doing that and drafting a linebacker.

I definitely don't want the Packers to overpay for Martinez. If another team offers him a lucrative deal it would be smart to let him walk away in free agency and consider your plan to replace him.

Reaction score
I think you guys are way underestimating Blake. If he stays pace with his last several years (and so far he has) he’s on his way to signing a multi-year contract over 7M annual. That’s huge $ for an ILB. While not flashy and not the most versatile (see The Patriots Boogeymen) he’s one of the top 5 most consistent ILBs in the NFL.
btw, He’s also the guy that stuffed Kerryon on that goal line stand Monday night.
It won’t at all be a matter of his ability to make our team due to being expendable. It’ll be more OUR ability to compete with teams who have a large *** of cash to steal him from us.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Daniels change his name to Blake Martinez or something?

And I think that is the worst slight on Blake. Doesn't get his own thread and is but a tag on to a former player's thread.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Considering Daniels has only played 86 snaps for Detroit, has 3 combined tackles and one sack.....Gute must have had a crystal ball when letting him go. I also think he was pretty good at reading the writing on the wall.

Big Mike seemed like a nice guy, but his best years are behind him and he definitely wasn't worth the money that the Packers saved by cutting him.
^ PB's post from another thread, figured it was worth bumping this one for discussion. Can we all finally come to the realization that releasing Daniels was the correct move? As I said at the time he was released, Daniels was evaluated during the offseason and into training camp, and Gute's evaluation of him as a football player at this stage of his career, along with how much he would make, along with his injury history led to his release.

It's not impossible to just look back now and say that Gutekunst made the correct move for football reasons and for financial reasons.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ PB's post from another thread, figured it was worth bumping this one for discussion. Can we all finally come to the realization that releasing Daniels was the correct move? As I said at the time he was released, Daniels was evaluated during the offseason and into training camp, and Gute's evaluation of him as a football player at this stage of his career, along with how much he would make, along with his injury history led to his release.

It's not impossible to just look back now and say that Gutekunst made the correct move for football reasons and for financial reasons.
in hindsight yes...but who's to say he would have gotten hurt had he stayed here? it was a roll of the dice. either way, football wise, letting him go or keeping him (with him getting hurt) has left us with a weak middle and the run D results you see today. so was it a positive? cap wise yes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

in hindsight yes...but who's to say he would have gotten hurt had he stayed here? it was a roll of the dice. either way, football wise, letting him go or keeping him (with him getting hurt) has left us with a weak middle and the run D results you see today. so was it a positive? cap wise yes.

Daniels wouldn't have significantly improved the Packers run defense this season. In my opinion it's time to move on from discussing about it over and over again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
man you can spin things. who's to say he would have gotten hurt? he WAS HURT. he Was, there was no maybe about it. He would have offered us nothing this year. not a dang thing. He's a big man with too many miles already for his body and was breaking down. It was apparent that a year off didn't get him back, he likely wasn't going to be with that foot injury. The only roll of the dice would have throwing down 10 million and hope like hell he could give you some snaps.

It was positive in ever single way from a football standpoint. There is no debate especially with hindsight. funny our run D got better when he went down last year. I don't see any positives to keeping him.

Reaction score
He became expendable at that price. He may have been worth a minimal contract, but no way was he worth 10M. 8M was too much for Detroit. This late in his career and the injury ? Plus his production
drop-off..he should’ve been offered a 8MX2yr deal or 4-5M 1 year deal similar to Mo.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was also expendable because he wasn't healthy enough to even practice let alone play. I'm sure they were on top of his recovery the entire way

H

HardRightEdge

Am I right or wrong in recalling that Daniels' injury issue earlier this season was a carryover of the same injury that put him on IR last year? Daniels went on IR with a foot injury. He went out of the last game with...a foot injury...after getting it stepped on.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I have to say though, I find it disturbing when a player leaves, usually a defender, they seem to improve immensely. I was at the London game between the Bears and the Raiders and watching Clinton Dix closely as I wasn`t cheering for either team especially not the Bears, and he was a completely different player.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say though, I find it disturbing when a player leaves, usually a defender, they seem to improve immensely. I was at the London game between the Bears and the Raiders and watching Clinton Dix closely as I wasn`t cheering for either team especially not the Bears, and he was a completely different player.
You mean like this guy?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears defense is worse with Ha Ha. I've only watched a couple of their games but he doesn't look any different to me

I

The Bears defense is worse with Ha Ha. I've only watched a couple of their games but he doesn't look any different to me

Well I can only say what I saw in THAT game and was definitely better from what I`d seen before.

I

Daniels played a total of 21 snaps before suffering another injury. I'm glad Gutekunst deemed it wouldn't be worth having him around for the kind of money he was supposed to earn.

I`m not disagreeing with that argument, I merely said he looked a different player in that game prior to the injury was all.

Members online

Latest posts