Packers, Alexander finalizing extension

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Adam Schefter the Packers and Alexander are finalizing a four-year, $84 million extension for the cornerback to stay with the team.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very stoked to see this deal getting finalized! Alexander is the textbook definition of consistency, and having the combination of him together with Stokes and Douglas for at least 3 years is going to be a huge boon. Clark, Campbell and Smith are also under contract for that duration so our defensive core seems solid for years to come. GPG

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This will no doubt free up more cap space....for this year, but not in the future. Glad they could work out a deal, lets hope he stays healthy and they can use the additional cap space to add a few more needed pieces.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if the two things were mutually exclusive, but I would way, way rather have Jaire Alexander for 4/84 at age 25 than Davante Adams for ~5/145 at age 29.
This would set-up Alexander for another huge payday as he'll be 29 when this one expires. Gute can then make the decision, at that time, if Alexander is worth a (speculation) 5/$150Mil deal in 2026.

Reaction score
This will no doubt free up more cap space....for this year, but not in the future. Glad they could work out a deal, lets hope he stays healthy and they can use the additional cap space to add a few more needed pieces.
I was thinking that also. This was a chunk of the 2022 puzzle that was needed. Now we have all the big chunks and we can likely squeeze in another veteran or two for the SuperBowl “Mug” Shot :tup:

Throw about $6M and sign King and Cook and bonus them both $1m “loyalty royalty” once that Lombardi is back in our trophy case.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Adam Schefter the Packers and Alexander are finalizing a four-year, $84 million extension for the cornerback to stay with the team.

Nice.

I remember the previous regime was quite content to let corners like Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde just walk and blossom elsewhere.

And then follow up by drafting the likes of Randall and Rollins, etc., to replace them, compounding the mistake.

With Stokes, Douglas and Alexander, GB seems well-positioned at the corner position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nice.

I remember the previous regime was quite content to let corners like Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde just walk and blossom elsewhere.

And then follow up by drafting the likes of Randall and Rollins, etc., to replace them, compounding the mistake.

With Stokes, Douglas and Alexander, GB seems well-positioned at the corner position.

They also have a nice blend of contracts between those three players.

Alexander is on a long term deal at the top of the market. Probably a deal you don't move on from early.

Douglas is on a mid term deal paying him nickel corner money. It's a contract you can move on from early if necessary.

Stokes has three more cheap years on his rookie deal and then a 5th year option.

If Stokes hits and he's a long-term keeper, you can extend him at 26 as these other guys come off the books.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly if those figures are accurate that is a KILLER deal and I suspect a TON of guarantee money which I'm fine with as well honestly as he is that good of a player.

This move to me could free up the cash to bring in a SUREFIRE #3 edge veteran or possibly a Julio or a OBJ type signing coming and still have some flex space depending on how this whole thing is structured.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4yr/$84Mil w/ $30Mil SB. Guessing Gute added a dummy 5th yr for SB purposes, making JA's 2022 cap# $7Mil, giving GB an "extra" $6.29Mil on the '22 cap. ($30Mil/5 yr SB = $6Mil + $1Mil salary = $7Mil cap #... VERY rough numbers on my guess).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice.

Hayward and Hyde were not core players here in Green Bay. Alexander clearly is.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward and Hyde were not core players here in Green Bay. Alexander clearly is.
Hyde was a pretty core gadget guy, played all over the secondary and did fine in his role. We probably should have kept him but Buffalo was in love with him so they PAID him well. Hayward got burnt too often playing outside here, not sure how he resurrected himself for the Chargers. Maybe he just played against inferior competition in the AFC?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hyde was a pretty core gadget guy, played all over the secondary and did fine in his role. We probably should have kept him but Buffalo was in love with him so they PAID him well. Hayward got burnt too often playing outside here, not sure how he resurrected himself for the Chargers. Maybe he just played against inferior competition in the AFC?
I'm sticking with coaching, as being one of the biggest issues we were having with a lot of our DB's. Capers as DC and Whitt as DB coach never seemed to be a good combination for DB's and we burned through them at an alarming rate.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s been touched on but GB is setting their secondary timing up excellently with this extension, the reasonable Rasul deal and rookie in Stokes. Mix in the Nixon depth, SJC and Ento as leaders for fourth spot the team is sitting good. I do suspect a cut CB or a King signing for our fourth is possibly likely at some point. If it gets crazy late to season I almost wonder if King would prefer a cheap two year 6-7M deal or so to not face this unknown market again and serve in a role for us that he truly excels at when not asked to be a starter outside each week.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice.

Micah Hyde wasn’t a CB, and at the time they were pretty set at safety. In hindsight a mistake, but understandable at the time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with coaching, as being one of the biggest issues we were having with a lot of our DB's. Capers as DC and Whitt as DB coach never seemed to be a good combination for DB's and we burned through them at an alarming rate.
Capers had players playing out of position. He wouldn't adapt his scheme to his player's talents. As soon as Hyde and Hayward left town they became all-pro's. They were correctly assessed by our scouts, but were mis-used by Capers. Same thing as Raji post 2010.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Over The Cap it's actually a five-year, $98 million deal for Alexander. He will count $7 million against the cap in 2022, saving more than $6 million of cap space for the upcoming season.

His cap hits will increase significantly starting with the 2023 season ($20M in '23, $22M in '24, $23.5 in '25 and $25.5M in '26).

No, but they were both good enough to be quality starters. And, at the time Green Bay needed all the help they could get on defense.

Not resigning them was clearly an error. Locking up Alexander is a great move, IMHO.

The Packers seemed to be set both at cornerback and safety at the time they decided to let Hayward and Hyde walk away in free agency. In hindsight, it was a mistake but most fans didn't complain at that time the decisions had to be made.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers seemed to be set both at cornerback and safety at the time they decided to let Hayward and Hyde walk away in free agency. In hindsight, it was a mistake but most fans didn't complain at that time the decisions had to be made.

Enter all the ones claiming they saw the future back then and felt differently......LOL

I concur on Hayward - Hyde I was more mixed on but again got it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enter all the ones claiming they saw the future back then and felt differently......LOL

I concur on Hayward - Hyde I was more mixed on but again got it.
Don't you know, the only accurate way to evaluate a GMs decision is several years after it is made taking into account only what happened in the ensuing years and completely ignoring the circumstances of the moment.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the most frustrating thing for me in regards to Hyde and Hayward was not the fact that the Packer staff didn't quite know what solid of players that they actually had, but what was going on in general with the Secondary. You have 2 guys leave that looked ok in Green Bay, but not good enough to keep. The Bills and Chargers immediately strike it big with both players in Free Agency. Meanwhile in Green Bay, you have the GM throwing a large amount of high draft picks at the secondary and all of them turn out to be a bunch of duds. So now you have a secondary that is costing the Packers games, as well as other positions on the team being ignored in the draft, in favor of trying to stop the hemorrhaging going on in the secondary.

TT did a lot of great things in Green Bay, but I will always view his final 4 or so years as ones where he and his scouts had no pulse for the secondary. McCarthy can also be blamed for holding on to a DC and secondary coaches that weren't doing their jobs very well either.

Gute finally reversed things in regards to the secondary. Signing Amos and Douglas, as well as drafting Alexander, Savage and Stokes. Amazing turn around of fortune really.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Eagles and Panthers fans are having a similar discussion over Rasul Douglas?

For sure, I guarantee you someone at both places are saying "I told you all..." LoL

Funny how the Fulgham posts claiming to be prophets have dried up here as well.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts