Packers 2021 salary cap plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying only cut Jackson if he's been given up on. Wimm informed me not long ago that he didn't get any snaps on defense after week 10 or something crazy

Well JJ Watt was 1 Z.Smith 2 and Myles Garrett 3 so whatever the metric it seems it's probably pretty right on.

And I get you could get something for him but trading him would seriously derail chances of winning Superbowl

Id be dubious of any "times double teamed" metric that doesn't include Aaron Donald, K Mack or TJ Watt in their top 3.

(That said I still would rather just work the scheme to fit his skill set)

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What comes next, Rodgers/Adams restructure or Lowry, Preston, Funchess, Jackson cuts?

I believe there's dates most of these things have to happen by, save for the Adams extension but usually they've tried to get those done before the start of the regular season.

Rodgers 6.8 m roster bonus due 3/19 - we've suspected all along this would be converted to signing bonus

P. Smith 4 m roster bonus 3/20 - only question is will they release him as a post June 1st cut and save an additional 4 m total of 12 m on the 2020 cap

Lowry 2 m roster bonus 3/20 - just not a player that needs to be on the roster

Z. Smith 5 m roster bonus 3/20 - could save 2.5 m by converting it to cash

Oren Burks, Devin Funchess, Josh Jackson - just has to be cut before regular season

D

Deleted member 6794

You'll see...gute has already indicated they gone make some moves.

Edit: Here's a quote for when you say no he didn't.

"I think we're going to have to do that this year for sure, " Gutekunst said recently. "I think the situation our football team is in right now, we have one goal in mind. If there's an opportunity to take some risk to help us win now, were certainly in that mode. Obviously, with this year's situation, I think most teams in the league are going to be kicking money out to try to keep their teams together. Well certainly be no different."

thequick12 said:
I think the main point in all of this is, with the tv deal coming real soon, it's a one year anomly as far as the cap goes.

I prefer to wait and see which moves Gutekunst actually makes this offseason to evaluate them instead of putting a lot of value into what he tells the media.

Oren Burks, Devin Funchess, Josh Jackson - just has to be cut before regular season

With the Packers having to be under the cap at the start of the new league year it would make sense to release them before mid-March as well.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer to wait and see which moves Gutekunst actually makes this offseason to evaluate them instead of putting a lot of value into what he tells the media.

With the Packers having to be under the cap at the start of the new league year it would make sense to release them before mid-March as well.

I can agree with that I'm just trying to be optimistic. And yeah but with them being only about 10 m over and having to release smith by 3/20 which saves them minimum 8 million...they're in little danger of not being able to get under the cap. As I think it's a given they restructure Rodgers and z. Smiths bonuses even if they decide to keep p smith in which case they'd likely restructure his bonus as well.

So basically those 3 guys only save you like 1 million in cap each so if say the new d coordinator likes em a little bit or whatever it might be worth taking them to training camp as you can always cut em then and save the money at that point

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe there's dates most of these things have to happen by, save for the Adams extension but usually they've tried to get those done before the start of the regular season.

Rodgers 6.8 m roster bonus due 3/19 - we've suspected all along this would be converted to signing bonus

P. Smith 4 m roster bonus 3/20 - only question is will they release him as a post June 1st cut and save an additional 4 m total of 12 m on the 2020 cap

I could see Lowry definitely being gone and brought back at a lower number after the Draft.

Burks does great on ST....can't really intentionally let that group get worse.

Funchess I could see getting traded for a possible pick before getting cut, the Raiders come to mind actually after cutting Tyrell.

I would like to see Josh Jackson under a new DC. I have hard time letting him go. If Barry's scheme might favor what King does best then maybe Jackson can be saved?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Lowry definitely being gone and brought back at a lower number after the Draft.

Burks does great on ST....can't really intentionally let that group get worse.

Funchess I could see getting traded for a possible pick before getting cut, the Raiders come to mind actually after cutting Tyrell.

I would like to see Josh Jackson under a new DC. I have hard time letting him go. If Barry's scheme might favor what King does best then maybe Jackson can be saved?

Jackson was a zone corner in college ? I think so. I believe the new dc is a man coverage guy. Yeah the fangio scheme is primarily press man with some cover 2 zone. So not a good sign for Jackson I don't think.

But on a sidenote reading about the fangio scheme...the Packers personel currently and especially if they added jj watt sounds perfect for the scheme. Clark is the exact kind of nt the scheme requires. Watt would be the 3 tech and 5 tech on pass downs when they wanted z. Smith at the 3. Z. Smith and Gary seem to be perfect olbs for scheme as he doesn't ask them to play any man coverage. They need 2 new ilb for sure one in the mold of dylan moses, Micah Parsons, chazz suratt, Nick boltden, cameron mcgrone, jabril cox and maybe even 2 of those guys think patrick willis and navarro bowman both all pros. Alexander, savage, amos all fit great as well. Sullivan also works. But they need a guy to replace king for sure

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why they'd like Lowry enough to cut him and then bring him back. If they like him, they keep him. What's the point in cutting to save 3 and then sign him back for pretty much the amount you saved? They're not going to give him a new contract with a signing bonus to spread out and he's certainly getting more than a vet minimum from someone.

if he was due like 10 or 15 million or something which he's obviously not and everyone agreed, man i'm a 4 mil a year player, lets do a cut and re-sign for a new 3 year contract, sure. But being due around 4 million? and he hasn't really been playing all that well for 2 seasons now? why try a new contract? I just don't see it and he's not terrible. He's going to get interest from other teams.

and Funchess was a FA? he didn't get any big contract he's basically in a prove it deal to hopefully show he still has it and get a better deal after a season. he chose to sit that season out, how much trade value do you think he has? my guess is zero.

you're right about Burks, he's on a rookie deal, good on ST's and he'll be replaced when he no longer is or is no longer under a rookie deal.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id be dubious of any "times double teamed" metric that doesn't include Aaron Donald, K Mack or TJ Watt in their top 3.

(That said I still would rather just work the scheme to fit his skill
set)

Those were edge rusher stats so Donald isn't included. I have no problems believing that JJ Watt, Z, and Garrett were doubled more often than Mack and TJ Watt. I'm sure Mack and TJ were doubled quite often but that doesn't mean they weren't doubled twice a game fewer than the others. It's also possible that Mack and TJ Watt didn't rush the QB as much as the other three. E.g., according to PFF Mack and RJ were in coverage for 51 and 64 snaps, respectively, compared to 4 snaps for JJ, 7 for Z, and 23 for Garrett. That means Mack and TJ were not rushing the pass an extra 2-4 snaps a game on average.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd keep Burks for his ST play.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any ideaas to when we will find out about what the cap will actually be?

Right! It seems crazy to me that teams are on the clock to use the franchise or transition tags and the amount of those tags hasn't even been set yet, nor has the cap. Two pretty important things to know when deciding on whether or not you wanna tag a guy.

So all I can guess is it'll have to be by March 9th as that is the last day teams can use the tags. And tag numbers can't be determined until the cap is set

D

Deleted member 6794

And yeah but with them being only about 10 m over and having to release smith by 3/20 which saves them minimum 8 million...they're in little danger of not being able to get under the cap.

There's no reason to be worried about the Packers not being able to get under the cap. The players released to make it work need to be adequately replaced though.

I'm not sure that's as easy as a lot of you seem to believe with Preston.

In addition the team will need to make additional moves if they want to be active in free agency.

They need 2 new ilb for sure one in the mold of dylan moses, Micah Parsons, chazz suratt, Nick boltden, cameron mcgrone, jabril cox and maybe even 2 of those guys think patrick willis and navarro bowman both all pros. Alexander, savage, amos all fit great as well. Sullivan also works. But they need a guy to replace king for sure

While the Packers need to add talent at inside linebacker I don't think they need two starters at the position.

On the other hand I don't feel comfortable about Sullivan's role increasing next season.

any ideaas to when we will find out about what the cap will actually be?

Teams will most likely be officially informed about the salary cap shortly before the start of free agency (it happened on March 15 last year).

They definitely have an idea about the neighborhood it will be in as of now though.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's as easy as a lot of you seem to believe with Preston.

While the Packers need to add talent at inside linebacker I don't think they need two starters at the position.

On the other hand I don't feel comfortable about Sullivan's role increasing next season.

I never once said or implied it would be easy to replace Preston Smith, I liked him as a player coming out and when he was in washington. Thought it was great signing by gute. Only reason he's not being restructured too is the salary cap anomly that is the 2021 season.

Side note they can't release him as June 1st cut before start of new league year. So they'll like use other moves (Rodgers/Smith restructure) to get under the cap to start the year then release smith on 3/20.

They need at least one real deal impact playmaker at ilb. The new defensive scheme depends on it heavily. But both ilbs have to be athletic enough to be trusted in coverage. I guess the fangio scheme doesn't have a "thumper" and a "coverage" guy, it employs two "coverage guys". Or ideally two guys like dylan moses/zaven collins etc. All around guys...

Sorry I wasn't clear maybe but by "sullivan works" I ment keeping him as the 3rd corner, the same role he played in 2020. Not increasing his role. They gotta draft a guy relatively high at cb and hit or sign a stop gap guy like patrick peterson or likely both.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any "oversized" safeties on the roster that could fill that role?

Doesn't seem like it considering none of them could hold down that S/ILB hybrid role that Pettine liked so much...raven greene was probably the best of the bunch but he's certainly not the guy for the job.

Barnes and Martin were alright as rookies and maybe one of them could do it...idk if they really have it though. They deserve a shot but definitely gotta get one in draft that's a day 1 starter no doubt kind of guy. Like Savage was at safety. Might be a first round pick even but definitely don't think you can get that guy last the 3rd round and that would be lucky

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disney just agreed in principle to their media deal with the NFL, equates to about $600M per year and the "Big Three" of NBC, Fox, and CBS will double to $2B/year, with Disney paying the most at $2.6B. Amazon's deal was undisclosed. Deals will become official next week.

I'd say we definitely hit the $188M cap number. But my hunch is $192.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never once said or implied it would be easy to replace Preston Smith, I liked him as a player coming out and when he was in washington. Thought it was great signing by gute. Only reason he's not being restructured too is the salary cap anomly that is the 2021 season.

A lot of posters imply that it might be easy to replace Preston by advocating to release him. I don't consider that to be a smart move as the Packers would be an injury to either Zadarius or Gary away from having a huge issue at edge rusher.

Sorry I wasn't clear maybe but by "sullivan works" I ment keeping him as the 3rd corner, the same role he played in 2020.

I'm not that confident in Sullivan being a decent #3 cornerback either.

Barnes and Martin were alright as rookies and maybe one of them could do it...idk if they really have it though. They deserve a shot but definitely gotta get one in draft that's a day 1 starter no doubt kind of guy. Like Savage was at safety. Might be a first round pick even but definitely don't think you can get that guy last the 3rd round and that would be lucky

Once again, you're putting too much stock into the importance of the inside linebacker position.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Release Preston Smith post June 1st

Trade Adrian Amos (3rd round pick to Chargers) for (SS) Derwin James. Savage and James are ballhawks. James can also play the box and blitz.

Trade Billy Turner to Cowboys for (C) Tyler Biadasz and 3rd/4th round pick, let Linsey walk. Get younger on the O-Line. Can't go wrong with a Badger.

Trade Jace Sternberger to Patriots for Jakobi Meyers. Clear No.2 WR.

Release Dean Lowry

Release Josh Jackson

Release Devin Funchess

Release Oren Burks

Restructure Rodgers base salary from $37.57M to $28.25M (unsure if he'll do it)

Total Cap Savings of $18,341,00 or $18.3 under the projected cap of $188,748,893, bringing the Packer's total cap of $170,407,892.

Let's say all these moves happen...then what?

Target Shaq Barrett at OLB opposite Zadarius Smith in that 3-4 defense...

3 years, $44.7M https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/shaquil-barrett-14689/market-value/

or

Bud Dupree at 4 years, $70M https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/bud-dupree-16746/market-value/

That's pretty much it...big splash...use the rest for draft picks and veteran free agents. Create quality depth.

Go all in for 2021 season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trade Adrian Amos (3rd round pick to Chargers) for (SS) Derwin James. Savage and James are ballhawks. James can also play the box and blitz.

Trade Billy Turner to Cowboys for (C) Tyler Biadasz and 3rd/4th round pick, let Linsey walk. Get younger on the O-Line. Can't go wrong with a Badger.

Release Dean Lowry

Release Josh Jackson

Release Devin Funchess

Release Oren Burks

Total Cap Savings of $18,341,00 or $18.3 under the projected cap of $188,748,893, bringing the Packer's total cap of $170,407,892.

3 years, $44.7M https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/shaquil-barrett-14689/market-value/

or

Bud Dupree at 4 years, $70M https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/bud-dupree-16746/market-value/

That's pretty much it...big splash...use the rest for draft picks and veteran free agents. Create quality depth.

We are wheelin and dealin. I guess you think the chargers would trade Derwin James because he has been hurt.
I actually want to keep Preston. Have him play like he should i.e., not in coverage. And I think we need Turner to play R tackle. And still we need to draft another tackle. One that can play L in a pinch because it destroyed us against tampa trying to put someone there not suited for it. Sure you never really know if a rookie will be any good...ever. Just another reason to keep Turner.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Release Dean Lowry

Release Josh Jackson

Release Devin Funchess

Release Oren Burks

or

Assuming that the Patriots will shop Myers, Chargers are going to trade James, and the Cowboys Biadasz is a very bold prediction....and that's coming from somebody who's not against making bold predictions at all.

I'd like to keep Preston, and taking a good special teams player away in Burks is definitely the wrong move, he also doesn't cost that much honestly. Possibly jettisoning Lowry AFTER the Draft could be acceptable as long as we replace him with a definitive upgrade by drafting DL high Day 1 or Day 2.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems one thing most posters around here have no clue about is that designating a released player as a post June 1st cut doesn't create any cap space until June.

Those suggestions are completely unrealistic.

For the record, the Packers could convert Rodgers' base salary of $14.5 million as well as his roster bonus of $6.8 million into a signing bonus saving more than $16 million in cap space with him getting the same amount of cash this season.

That should be a no-brainer for both sides.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems one thing most posters around here have no clue about is that designating a released player as a post June 1st cut doesn't create any cap space until June.

So there aren't any moves to be made or free agents available in June and beyond?

Those suggestions are completely unrealistic.

Maybe unlikely...not sure about unrealistic.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

I think that's mostly true. Preston Smith's cap number for 2021 is $16M but he is due a roster bonus on the 3rd day of the league year starting March 17. If they cut him before that date and designate him as a post June 1 cut he is not owed the roster bonus in 2021 and his cap hit drops to $12 Million and then on June 1 will drop to $4M. If they cut him outright before the 3rd day of the league year then his cap hit is $8M with an immediate $8M cap reduction. So some cap space could be created but the full benefit is not realized until June 1.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, the Packers could convert Rodgers' base salary of $14.5 million as well as his roster bonus of $6.8 million into a signing bonus saving more than $16 million in cap space with him getting the same amount of cash this season.

That should be a no-brainer for both sides.

Right! I feel like the Packers don't want to depend on it though, it seems like there's a move they want to make first before deferring to that option. Maybe with Watt no longer an option they start making that move in earnest.

Maybe unlikely...not sure about unrealistic.

Don't kid yourself it's unrealistic, and I dare say foolhardy.

Why would the Chargers trade Derwin James, who when healthy is probably one of the Top 3 safeties in the league for Amos? The 3rd Rounder is tempting sure, but a player like James doesn't come around often, and one surely isn't in the 2021 Class, I don't think one of that caliber is even in the 2022 or 2023 Class. Oh yea, did you forget that Derwin James is a free agent next year? So we give up a 3rd Round pick for a guy to stick around for one season?

Tyler Biadasz was the best of the worst for Centers last year, can't go wrong with a Badger? His PFF grade of 53.5 says otherwise.

I can't see Belichick getting rid of Meyers when he already has a gaping hole at WR. He already missed with N'Keal Harry and who knows what Edelman might do next year. Sternberger hasn't shown much, so I'm pretty sure we'd have to commit some kind of Day 3 pick in the end for Meyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts