Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess they drafted him on potential. Maybe he played out of place at Michigan and they think they can coach him up. Maybe he played hurt.Seems like a good guy. Definitely needs a little extra one on one coaching imo. I wanted OT but it seems most of them are still around. That is a surprise to me. I hope one of them falls further.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe he got double teamed. Maybe he was injured. Maybe his role was to set the table for others. Maybe he was miscast.

I just hate spending a 2nd on a player you have to make excuses for.

He seems like a great guy and well liked by teammates. I will root for him as he is now a Packer. And if he succeeds, I will happily admit I was wrong. No. On 2nd thought, I will just go back and delete or edit most of my posts on him and pretend I saw the genius of the pick all along.

If they had taken Taylor, we'd have to make excuses for scheme fit. If they had taken Dillard, we'd have to make excuses for college offense. If they had taken Sweat, we'd have to make excuses for heart condition. If they had taken Burns, we'd have to make excuses for him being a bean poll.

Gary was not my first choice, but my first choices were all picked off. I don't know that there was a completely "clean" prospect left on the board. They took a guy with a super high ceiling. I can't really fault them for that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here I thought you would be dancing a wild jig. Hochenson was taken way before the Packers pick at #12 and Parris Campbell is still on the board for the Packer to pick (not pick) at #44. All that said, I guess I should have expected this reaction from you, no matter what the Packers did in Round 1.

WERE NOT GETTING PARRIS CAMPBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These FOOLS don't know what the hell there doing. I expect more INSANITY!!!!!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bosa averaged 2 TFL/game and 1.3 sacks/game. He was quite literally tearing up college football before he got hurt.

Again, I am not saying Bosa was a bad pick or that he isn't a stud, but people are screaming about what Gary didn't do his final year while playing hurt. I don't consider what Bosa did in his only 3 games in 2018, against Oregon State, Rutgers and Texas Christian all that impressive. However, I still think Bosa will be great based on his pedigree, physicality and what we saw of him in 2017. Now I am not predicting Gary is going to be better than Bosa, but he does have the potential to be equally as good, which is what I think the Packers are banking on.

I like what Gute said. So many people just look at stats. Look at his film and what he did at the combine. Motivation and health, IMO, are Gary's only 2 obstacles. If he gets over those, watch what he does.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
As do I, from you. :rolleyes: Just the fact that you seem to be pinning the entire success of the Packers on drafting Parris Campbell, who the last time I checked is still on the board, is insane in itself.

This is much deeper then P. Campbell. Yesterday's failures are going to be talked about for years as this franchise continues to spiral down to purgatory.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they had taken Taylor, we'd have to make excuses for scheme fit. If they had taken Dillard, we'd have to make excuses for college offense. If they had taken Sweat, we'd have to make excuses for heart condition. If they had taken Burns, we'd have to make excuses for him being a bean poll.

Gary was not my first choice, but my first choices were all picked off. I don't know that there was a completely "clean" prospect left on the board. They took a guy with a super high ceiling. I can't really fault them for that.
Not sure you understood what I meant. Burns, Dillard, and Taylor all had very excellent productive college careers. There is no need to find excuses. Gary didnt have much statistically to show for his incredible physical talents.

Yes you can show clips of ten or so plays where he was involved with a sack. But show the other 739 pass plays where he doesnt get to the QB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not sure you understood what I meant. Burns, Dillard, and Taylor all had very excellent productive college careers. There is no need to find excuses. Gary didnt have much statistically to show for his incredible physical talents.

Yes you can show clips of ten or so plays where he was involved with a sack. But show the other 739 pass plays where he doesnt get to the QB.

Gary's production is the major blot on his profile as a prospect, but basically everyone else on the board had a blot that would have had to be explained. That's my point.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary's production is the major blot on his profile as a prospect, but basically everyone else on the board had a blot that would have had to be explained. That's my point.
I see a big difference. Dillard allowed 1 sack in the last 2 years and the fewest pressures last season. His 'blot' is he doesn't get push in the run blocking - although he is still extremely good on 'sticking to the block'.

Rashan's blot is that he didnt do much in 3 years

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashan Gary is a guy with his head on straight. Check out a few of the videos on YouTube.

Great personality, confident, humble, etc. Makes me like the pick even more.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To quote many a football coach, stats are for losers.

Clay Matthews had 13.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks for his CAREER.

Danielle Hunter had 21 TFL and 4.5 sacks for his CAREER.

They've combined for 123.5 NFL sacks.

If this were about stats and production, Jaylon Ferguson would've gone #1 overall.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="scotscheese, post: 830924, member: 9400"]i haven't realy gotten involved too much in the draft talk, as i really don't know enough college ball to have an informed position.

this is one guy who i can't remember being mentioned, so can understand people being disapointed, but very few here seem to be giving him the chance to prove himself and have already declared him a bust. i'm not gonna say he's one or the other cos i really don't know.

with our new coaching changes, lets hope we manage to get the best out of him, welcome to lambeau Gary[/QUOTE]

Wait...What... we need to have an informed position to post here? Since when ?:D

Seriously though I agree with you 100%. I can understand why some people don't like certain picks but give the guy a chance.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be really good. His athletic profile is bonkers. That said, as a fan, I would have preferred a 'safe' pick at 12. This one was risky.

I can certainly understand the sentiment and to some extent I agree but sometimes risky is good.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wait...What... we need to have an informed position to post here? Since when ?:D

Seriously though I agree with you 100%. I can understand why some people don't like certain picks but give the guy a chance.

Agreed and in a small way, this kind of hit me last night like the Rodgers pick. Not saying it will work out the same. But all I could think of was "WTF, we just paid big bucks for 2 FA OLB's, why are the Packers taking this guy?" I would have felt the same or maybe even more upset, had they traded up and gotten Josh Allen. The more I look at Gary, the more I like. I trust Gute, Pettine and the Packers, that they got not just the BPA but a guy that they feel fits well in their defense.

Is Gary a risk? Sure, but so is most everyone else. I will wait to pass full judgement on the pick until after a year or 2 when I see how it has worked out.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Sounds amazing until the defense is ranked 18th.
I would not be surprised if they are worse than 18th. over the first 4 games given the high turnover in the starting group, particularly nickel/dime which is 80% of snaps. After that, you should see improvement.
Out of 35 DL performing at the Combine Rashan Gary places:

Broad Jump #1
40 yard Dash #1
3 Cone #4
20 yard Shuttle#3
Bench #14
20yd Shuttle #3
Vertical #1
I need to correct something I said earlier. I picked up his hand size and arm length from Sweat's data by mistake, probably a Freudean slip given Sweat was one of my preferences at this spot.

Gary's numbers are 9 5/8" and 34 1/8". Still, the arm length is quite decent and there is no excuse given his length and strength that you don't see him long arm OTs in the tape. He tends to chop at OT's arms in a swim move or try to walk the OT back with bull rush and in the process allow OTs to get up inside his body. This tape sums up the good and the bad, the good being that speed-to-power:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now, it's possible that's the way he was coached, to maintain position to react inside or outside rather than swing wide in an edge burst, for edge and pocket contain on the strong side while being able to eat runs coming up inside, with Winovich in release-the-hound mode. Or is this simply his instinctive reactions?

There is something the Packers probably noted at the Combine. Go to the following tape at the 1:30 mark where Gary is doing bag work. That cross-body extend and strike looks pretty natural, something we don't see in the game tape.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combi...shan-Gary-s-2019-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

There is reason to believe there is more here than meets the eye besides the athletic measurables. It's not hard to see why the Packers project him to eventually playing on the line. The speed-to-power shows up against guards and his get off in that role is pretty special.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any Michigan fans know anything about Gary's smarts? More I read about him, the more it seems like he'll be asked to move around a lot. Takes a smart guy to be able to handle that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add a 6th option to your list: He's always been considered great and has never had to really work to achieve success. #1 HS recruit, goes to a major university, doesn't perform to expectations and STILL gets picked 12th. He could just have learned that he doesn't NEED to try hard to get ahead in football. I hope that's not the case because that's a hard lesson to overcome for most people.

I hope that Gary does well, I really liked how emotional and truly happy he appeared when he got the call from the Packers, I just don't think history is on the Packers' side with this one.

I sure hope you are wrong on this. I've seen first hand (though certainly not at that level) how that can affect people and its sad. All through my nephews early years he was the best or one of the best (baseball and basketball) and he got by with simply being a better athlete than everyone else. Unfortunately he never put forth the effort to improve and once he got to the higher levels and the talent around him got better he wasn't able to compete as well and it affected him mentally and he lost interest in those sports. He didn't start football until the 8th grade but even then he was very near the top in his first year and by then his lack of drive was so ingrained that he never tried to get better. He was still very good throughout high school but I think with some additional effort he could have been scholarship material. He has some other issues that have affected him as well but he simply lacked the drive to improve and eventually it caught up with him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I see a big difference. Dillard allowed 1 sack in the last 2 years and the fewest pressures last season. His 'blot' is he doesn't get push in the run blocking - although he is still extremely good on 'sticking to the block'.

Rashan's blot is that he didnt do much in 3 years

I don't see that big of a difference. We've seen talented college players who lacked production thrive in the pros. It's a negative to his profile, but not in a dissimilar way to playing in an air raid system or being significantly undersized.

But to be clear, I preferred Dillard as a prospect. But I had become skeptical about selecting him when Jim Nagy reported that, based on Senior Bowl exposure, he's a LT only.

bsman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to put a provisional "C" grade on this, because although he appears to have potential, so did Tony Mandarich, and we all know how that worked out... I guess it will depend on how he develops, how eager and willing he is to learn, where we plan on playing hem, and how quickly they need to bring him along. I can't say I would expect to see him a lot in 2019, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

ddavey4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, I’m not happy here. I’m so tired of drafting players that need converted to be other players. Sweat!?! If we wanted an edge, he was right there!! Instead, no, let’s draft a guy that’s underwhelming at his position and then try to change his position.
Sounds like a Ted pick. Pick an injured guy, Harrell in 2007 played 24 games in 4 years. WHY DRAFT AN INJURED PLAYER. The Bills drafted a player with the same injury couple years ago and they thought he could play with the injury, in May of that year he aggravated his shoulder, had surgery missed half the season!!