Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I exaggerated on accident. Levon Kirkland was 6' 1" and 270. pro bowl 2x and all pro 1x. Quite a bit less poundage but shorter also. Don't know who is faster/quicker. With a complimentary inside backer that was good against the pass; I could see a possibility. Not that I would be planning this next year on it as far as free agency and draft. I could be wrong, but I thought Gary backed away from the line of scrimmage quite a bit at Michigan.

Levon Kirkland came out of college at 240 lbs in 1992!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see Gary as a D lineman. His natural body is just too rare. And he is tall. Like to see what they can make out of him before they start force feeding him. We'll see. Hopefully they find out where he can play on this team. Certainly before some other team figures it out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why Gluten drafted a “project” with the number 12 pick. I would expect most first rounders to be starters, sooner rather than later. Maybe that doesn’t hold up in a weak draft, but #12? Sorry, I just don’t get it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see Gary as a D lineman. His natural body is just too rare. And he is tall. Like to see what they can make out of him before they start force feeding him. We'll see. Hopefully they find out where he can play on this team. Certainly before some other team figures it out.

What's wrong with him being tall? The average NFL OT is between 6'4 and 6'6. Gary is 6'5.

If you're thinking he's only on the interior, I get that but Gary isn't in the mold of a NT or DT. But as an DE, he fits the mold. I'm still dumbfounded Gute chose him to be an OLB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with him being tall? The average NFL OT is between 6'4 and 6'6. Gary is 6'5.

If you're thinking he's only on the interior, I get that but Gary isn't in the mold of a NT or DT. But as an DE, he fits the mold. I'm still dumbfounded Gute chose him to be an OLB.
Don't know why you brought up how tall an OT is. I have not seen much of a difference between a DE and a Outside L in the "new" 3-4. In the old days when it first started, pretty much with Pittsburgh, now that, to me, was a real 3-4. And I would not mind seeing that. I think in that scheme, the O just does not know who is going to rush. But they were real linebackers. Not DE that are called linebackers. Albeit some hybrids like we have now. But they could play linebacker imho. But otherwise, it seemed like we agreed that he should not be put on the interior of the D line.

D

Deleted member 6794

But as an DE, he fits the mold. I'm still dumbfounded Gute chose him to be an OLB.

I'm convinced that decision was made upon consultation with the coaching staff. Considering his athleticism I agree that he's best suited to be an edge rusher.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the Gary pick close the Super Bowl window in the Rodgers era?
That's a legitimate question given that the Packers don't currently have either the D linemen, ILB's or offensive weapons to be SB contenders. It takes even the best receivers several years to click with this offense. The missed opportunity to pick a DK Metcalfe or D Samuel or a decent DT cost the Packers years that they don't have in building a team that can be contenders. Even if Gute nails a good WR or two in this draft, there may not be enough time left in the AR era to bring them up to speed. Given that Gute's first two drafts have three high draft pick busts, chances are that this draft won't fill the holes thst previous draft pick busts have created.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the Gary pick close the Super Bowl window in the Rodgers era?
That's a legitimate question given that the Packers don't currently have either the D linemen, ILB's or offensive weapons to be SB contenders. It takes even the best receivers several years to click with this offense. The missed opportunity to pick a DK Metcalfe or D Samuel or a decent DT cost the Packers years that they don't have in building a team that can be contenders. Even if Gute nails a good WR or two in this draft, there may not be enough time left in the AR era to bring them up to speed. Given that Gute's first two drafts have three high draft pick busts, chances are that this draft won't fill the holes thst previous draft pick busts have created.
It's a bit early to say Gutes got three high draft busts. I don't think that we are not SB contenders, AR still has 2/3 above average QB years left in him i think. we still have a chance in the near future

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is little or no evidence to show that Burks, Jackson and Gary are not busts. They may turn it around, but they haven't played well enough to inspire any confidence that they can turn around their lack of any impact.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why? He's a prototypical Edge in the NFL with the flexibility to slide to 3T on passing downs. He is just like Z Smith. So what's there to be dumbfounded about?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is little or no evidence to show that Burks, Jackson and Gary are not busts. They may turn it around, but they haven't played well enough to inspire any confidence that they can turn around their lack of any impact.
I find it hilarious that you are grouping Gary in with Burks and Jackson after his first season.

Reaction score
If it’s this time in 2022 and Rashan hasn’t made a substantial impact, then I can understand the scrutiny. There was plenty of evidence of Rashan needing some refining early in his professional career.
I think harshly judging a player just one season buried behind the likes of 2 guys with huge contracts and another coming off a double digit sack season is a bit premature.
It reminded me of my HS wrestling. I got in a weight class behind the 2 best wrestlers on team and with one taking 3rd place at State the year before at our weight class. The other was a decorated 3 year letter winner. Course, I do agree I wasn’t a highly touted 8th grader coming in :cautious:

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because a 6'2 DE would get swallowed up by an OT, he would have to blow by the OT with speed or get pancaked. Your statement made it seem like his height was an issue.
I think Gary is just about 6'5". I was thinking that might be a bit tall for DL (i.e., interior DL). I just don't see that much difference between today's outside linebacker (rusher) and a DE. At least not in what they are trying to do which is to normally beat an O tackle to sack the QB. One is more often a hybrid but still cannot play linebacker properly.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gary is just about 6'5". I was thinking that might be a bit tall for DL (i.e., interior DL). I just don't see that much difference between today's outside linebacker (rusher) and a DE. At least not in what they are trying to do which is to normally beat an O tackle to sack the QB. One is more often a hybrid but still cannot play linebacker properly.

Please don't make me spend several paragraphs detailing what an Edge is, I beg you. Please!!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt you could change my opinion GG. I just see them mainly going up against a tackle and trying to get to the qb. Both of em. And they both usually have two interior linemen between them. A real 3-4 would have three interior linemen and 4 linebackers. imo I just don't think calling them different names makes them different when the have the same jobs.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt you could change my opinion GG. I just see them mainly going up against a tackle and trying to get to the qb. Both of em. And they both usually have two interior linemen between them. A real 3-4 would have three interior linemen and 4 linebackers. imo I just don't think calling them different names makes them different when the have the same jobs.

Brother.

A 3-4 OLB is an edge.

A 4-3 DE is an edge.

Too many people get hung up on saying a 4-3 DE can't play in a 3-4 as an OLB, when in reality, they're about the same position.

In short, call the position "Edge", and it reduces confusion, because I think we're saying the same thing.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it, if Gary is counted on to be in a backup role again behind the Smiths and not changing positions starting this year, the pick was ****ing stupid.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it’s this time in 2022 and Rashan hasn’t made a substantial impact, then I can understand the scrutiny. There was plenty of evidence of Rashan needing some refining early in his professional career.
I think harshly judging a player just one season buried behind the likes of 2 guys with huge contracts and another coming off a double digit sack season is a bit premature. :cautious:

Yes to this.

Gary wouldn’t have been who I would have picked at the #12 spot (I wanted Christian Wilkins) but none of us can know the future. Come next September and a season ending injury to Z-Smith or P-Smith and it will be real nice to have Gary who can step in at that crucial position.

Reaction score
I'll say it, if Gary is counted on to be in a backup role again behind the Smiths and not changing positions starting this year, the pick was ******* stupid.
I certainly understand where the frustration comes in with picking Gary. I believe they chose Gary because they think he will “wear well” over 4-5 years on a relatively cheap deal.
That said, it is peculiar we drafted a player at a position that we just had doubled down at just weeks earlier. Although that may have been an answer to Fackrell being in a contract year overlapping Rashan who was “wet behind the ears” and needed a redshirt type season while soaking in the expertise at the position.
We will find out very soon if that was part of the thought process? If we walk Fackrell and double Rashan’s snap count this healthy rotation starts making more sense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'll say it, if Gary is counted on to be in a backup role again behind the Smiths and not changing positions starting this year, the pick was ******* stupid.

Between Fackrell and Gary, backup edge players saw 659 snaps for the Packers last year. And that was with the Smith's playing 870 a piece. That latter number should probably go down a touch for both of them for the sake of their freshness and effectiveness.

There should be 700+ snaps available for Gary to play with and make an impact on. If he doesn't start paying off in 2020, it will be because of his own ineffectiveness, and not because he's a backup without a role.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly understand where the frustration comes in with picking Gary. I believe they chose Gary because they think he will “wear well” over 4-5 years on a relatively cheap deal.
That said, it is peculiar we drafted a player at a position that we just had doubled down at just weeks earlier. Although that may have been an answer to Fackrell being in a contract year overlapping Rashan who was “wet behind the ears” and needed a redshirt type season while soaking in the expertise at the position.
We will find out very soon if that was part of the thought process? If we walk Fackrell and double Rashan’s snap count this healthy rotation starts making more sense.

Between Fackrell and Gary, backup edge players saw 659 snaps for the Packers last year. And that was with the Smith's playing 870 a piece. That latter number should probably go down a touch for both of them for the sake of their freshness and effectiveness.

There should be 700+ snaps available for Gary to play with and make an impact on. If he doesn't start paying off in 2020, it will be because of his own ineffectiveness, and not because he's a backup without a role.

I'm not going to be mad if he isn't technically a starter, but if he isn't getting a lot more snaps and at the very least top 15 guy on defense with snap count, WTF was the point of the pick?

You almost think if he is just a rotating guy this year the FO really had no plan with him when they drafted him. I (probably stubbornly) don't want to hear people bring up 'maybe he isn't just good enough in this league and was a bust at pick #12' as a possibility because the Smiths were already signed pre draft and he had little opportunity to get on the field to show what he can do.

Members online

Latest posts