Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary was a great athlete coming out of college. Unfortunately that didn't translate to a lot of success on the field during his rookie season.

Therefore I wouldn't put too much stock into some workout videos.

LOL....the dude was #4 on the depth chart and still in limited snaps did very well. You gotta stop sipping the pessimistic kool-aid. Besides nothing I said implies I think he is going to be incredible, merely that I'm excited to see what happens.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....the dude was #4 on the depth chart and still in limited snaps did very well. You gotta stop sipping the pessimistic kool-aid. Besides nothing I said implies I think he is going to be incredible, merely that I'm excited to see what happens.
244 snaps and 2 sacks and another TFL

As a rookie, Kyler Fackrell had the same stats, on 160 snaps.

Gary had the benefit of playing with the Smiths who took a lot of the attention.

I am optimistic about Gary's future with the Packers, but i don't think you can say he did "very well".

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just putting it out there that Gary appears to have simply pushed the work petal to the floor this offseason. Some of his work out videos have been impressive and the dude straight looks different IMO. He wasn't fat before, but you can tell he has transitioned to a lower body fat percent for sure.

Excited to see an expanded role if a season happens out of him.

Is he working as florist now? :)

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not sure how one could say Gary did very well.

He pretty much only played during obvious passing downs and still had minimal impact. The fact he couldn't see the field over Fackrell is extremely concerning for a #12 overall selection.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He set the edge arguably better than either Smith did, GRANTED HUGE CAVEAT of limited number of snaps, but no worries if folks want to nit-pick the wording of "very well" and change it to "okay" or "average for limited chances"

I don't care, merely saying he looks different and pumped to see what happens now that Fackrell is gone and he is the clear first guy in after Smiths.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL....the dude was #4 on the depth chart and still in limited snaps did very well. You gotta stop sipping the pessimistic kool-aid.

It's mind-boggling to me that a lot of posters around here consider taking an objective look at the Packers at being pessismistic. It might be better if some of you stop drinking the green and gold kool-aid.

Gary not being able to move ahead of Fackrell on the depth chart is concerning in the first place. In addition he didn't have a significant impact when receiving snaps.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of things. First, not really anywhere for Gary to go BUT up; he only played about 23% of the defensive snaps last year and he wasn't very exceptional on those snaps. He rushed the QB 152 times last year and got pressure 15 times, that's a 9.86% pass rush productivity; this is a nice way to normalize players based on productivity per snap when players have vastly different snap numbers and pressures includes sacks, hits, and hurries. For comparison, Preston produced 55 pressures on 456 rushes (12.06%) while Z produced a whopping 104 pressures on 594 rushes (17.51%!). I don't have access to anything but entire season pass rush stats so these percentages might not be exact, but they are consistent among the three and you can see that Gary wasn't really close to being as good a pass rusher as either of the Smiths.

Other pass rush productivity percents: TJ Watt (15.8%), Calais Campbell (13.79%), Joey Bosa (14.49%), Kyle Van Noy (12.93%), Markus Golden (9.60%)

As you can see, Z is an elite pass rusher while Preston is above-average and Gary was almost average (Golden's rate was 43rd in the NFL among edge defenders). Now, Gary was a rookie so I hope there's improvement but there is legitimate concern considering the questions about him coming out of college.

He was about as good as either Smith at stopping the run, but that skill is something you want out of a guy after the third round, not the top-15; if Gary turns into the best run stopping edge defender in the NFL, he will have been a bust if he can't also rush the QB at an above-average level.

It would seem that Gary will most likely just be backup for the Smiths again this year in case of injury (unless one of the Smiths falls off a cliff) but, if all are healthy, Gary seeing more playing time would mean that one of the three is going to be playing DT/DE (possible on 3rd downs with Z).

H

HardRightEdge

Ya, saw some of his videos. Guy's a BEAST right now. I hope he transitions that to the field.
He was a beast already as his Combine numbers show. Progess needs to take place upstairs along with whatever needed to be done for that torn labrum he was playing through.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I mean I am hopeful that Gary just keeps getting better, but I want to see these workout videos of Gary that has a few people excited. All I could find was this and meh.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks quick with the hands. Not sure how much strength is behind it though. The drill ought to be about strength also.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Off-season player analysis...everyone looks like a Pro Bowler

Yup and that Twitter post was from Feb. 15th, which was 27 days after the 49'er game. I doubt in less than 1 month, Gary turned into Superman.

Again, I hope they struck gold with Gary, but until he starts consistently showing it on the field, during real games, he is nothing more than another guy that Packer fans "hope is great".

D

Deleted member 6794

What is wrong with the color yellow?? That is what it is I believe. And I think gold would look very bad. And start to make us look like everyone else.

Well, while the Packers use yellow as one of the colors on their uniforms they're widely known as the green and gold for some reason.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, while the Packers use yellow as one of the colors on their uniforms they're widely known as the green and gold for some reason.
I may be wrong but I think it is because of the connotation of yellow being coward. But that is not a good reason imho. The yellow looks so good with the deep green. I have always loved their uniform. You sure don't have to look twice to know who is on the screen. And gold would suck.

D

Deleted member 6794

I may be wrong but I think it is because of the connotation of yellow being coward. But that is not a good reason imho. The yellow looks so good with the deep green. I have always loved their uniform. You sure don't have to look twice to know who is on the screen. And gold would suck.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Packers uniforms as well.

H

HardRightEdge

I may be wrong but I think it is because of the connotation of yellow being coward.
That's at least on the right track. "Green and Gold" certainly has a better ring to it than "Green and Yellow". If I had to guess I'd say a sportwriter or team PR man started using that team nickname and it caught on. That's where many a legendary nickname came from. If you're in the business of mythmaking, or "branding" in our more jaded times, go for the "gold".

Anyway, Golden Dome --> Golden Boy <--> Green and Gold. Verbal associations like that, even if coincidental, subliminally reinforce the brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's at least on the right track. "Green and Gold" certainly has a better ring to it than "Green and Yellow". If I had to guess I'd say a sportwriter or team PR man started using that nickname and it caught on. If you're in the business of myth making, go for the "gold".
Just so long as they never actually change the color to gold

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and that Twitter post was from Feb. 15th, which was 27 days after the 49'er game. I doubt in less than 1 month, Gary turned into Superman.

Again, I hope they struck gold with Gary, but until he starts consistently showing it on the field, during real games, he is nothing more than another guy that Packer fans "hope is great".
Nice to know he was working out at that time. I'm sure almost all players take a few weeks to refresh and some take a bunch more. But he looks in great shape and I believe that means he was working hard soon after the season ended.

This is encouraging.

I am in the group that thinks his performance warrants a disappointment rating. When your drafted that higb, you have tremendous physical abilities, you should produce much more. The concern is, this is the same criticism as in college. Vastly more talented, many opportunities, and still can't produce sacks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary was a great athlete coming out of college. Unfortunately that didn't translate to a lot of success on the field during his rookie season.

Therefore I wouldn't put too much stock into some workout videos.
Even in college, he wasn’t known as a guy that got to the QB a lot, at least not as measured by sacks. But you use the #12 pick for something. Whatever that is, I hope we find out this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even in college, he wasn’t known as a guy that got to the QB a lot, at least not as measured by sacks. But you use the #12 pick for something. Whatever that is, I hope we find out this year.

I was worried about his lack of production in college after the Packers selected him last season. Unfortunately he didn't put it to rest during his rookie campaign.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still have hopes for Gary but it does sting a little that a pair of players of similar roles mocked heavily to us Brian Burns and Montez Sweat were available at the time and both had much better rookie seasons than Gary, oh well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still have hopes for Gary but it does sting a little that a pair of players of similar roles mocked heavily to us Brian Burns and Montez Sweat were available at the time and both had much better rookie seasons than Gary, oh well.

I preferred a plethora of players over Gary personally, but with the depth chart stacked much heavier against Gary last year than Burns or Sweat it is only logical they had more output as rookies.

With Gary clearly our #3 now, this year is put up or shut up for him to prove his stock.

Staff online

Latest posts