Pack vs Cards part 2

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody has their own way. Being an optimist or a pessimist doesn't make you more or less of a fan. Only you can know for sure. Do you get butterflies at kickoff? Does your heart hang on every play? I don't care if you don't think we have a shot, or if you think there's no way we lose, if you're not 100% invested at game time, then IMO you're not a "true" fan.

Personally I don't think a "true" fan or "real" fan exists. They are mythical creatures like unicorns and leprechauns and vikings Lombardi trophy polishers. I certainly don't agree with your definition of one. I've missed plenty of Packers games over the last few years as I have had things going on that I thought were more important. I've switched to the red zone channel many times and not gotten back in time to see all the plays. By your definition I'm not a true fan. So be it. I used to think that a "true" fan would NEVER root for his team to lose just to get a higher draft pick. Now I realize its just one fans way of rooting for his team and his hopes for improvement. I still don't agree but I will no longer consider these fans any less passionate than I am. I know guys who you probably would consider true fans and if they are the company I would have to keep to be considered a true fan I'd be honored not to be one.

I'm probably over reacting to your comments and I mean nothing personal. It's just that few things get me going more than when I see or hear someone telling me what a "real" fan or a "true" fan is.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the play by play, if we don't turn the ball over, that's 28 points off the board for AZ and we score at least 3 if not 7 before the half. If that INT before the half and the fumble after it don't happen, the score could have been 7-10 at the half. If we weren't so far behind, we add another 3 instead of going for it on 4th from the 2, add the TD and 2pt we did get and that would have given us 18 points, AZ a whole lot less time with the ball, worse field position and our defense more rest.

If we had of protected the ball, we would have had a shot at winning that game even if none of our drives that ended in turn overs produced points. (except the INT in the end zone which should have been pretty much a given us at least 3 pts)

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol well when we have more championships (13) then they do playoff appearances (10)... You have to talk **** while you have the chance, it is short lived.

Upon reading this one might be tempted to respond with some thing like "well, when you have been around longer you tend to get more championships" but then facts get in the way of that argument and show us that the Cardinals, as a franchise, have been around longer than the Packers. Almost as difficult to believe is that they have been in the Bidwell family since 1932. Only the Bears and Giants have been owned by their respective families for longer. NFL history is a fascinating subject.

Good post by the way.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you wouldn't think so from the two games we played, football outsiders actually grades out Washington's pass rush as much better than Arizona's. I posted this in the Left Tackle thread too:

"Regarding the Redskins, their pass rush is actually ranked 9th in the NFL this season according to football outsiders. So that was no small feat to hold them to the 1 sack with a patched together line. In comparison, Arizona's pass rush is ranked 27th in the league (note: they're 2nd against the run and have the 3rd overall defense) and demolished our line two weeks ago, so moving Tretter out to the left resulted in noticeable improvement.

That's not to say that change solved all of our problems. I'm afraid a lot of the improvement we saw on offense was the result of Washington's poor defense (21st in the league, worst in the playoffs). Still, we played some mediocre defenses down the stretch and didn't have the kind of success we had yesterday (Detroit x 2, Oakland, Dallas for 3 quarters, Chicago at home), so I'm cautiously optimistic."
Don't know the numbers but the Skins played a last place schedule this year in one of the two bad divisions in the league. You go against Bradford, Eli, and Romo's backup and you don't have a QB that can escape very easily. They also played Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets. Not a whole lot of great offense.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know the numbers but the Skins played a last place schedule this year in one of the two bad divisions in the league. You go against Bradford, Eli, and Romo's backup and you don't have a QB that can escape very easily. They also played Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets. Not a whole lot of great offense.

I agree with your premise, but these numbers are adjusted for the opponent. But I certainly won't argue that statistics are infallible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the play by play, if we don't turn the ball over, that's 28 points off the board for AZ and we score at least 3 if not 7 before the half. If that INT before the half and the fumble after it don't happen, the score could have been 7-10 at the half. If we weren't so far behind, we add another 3 instead of going for it on 4th from the 2, add the TD and 2pt we did get and that would have given us 18 points, AZ a whole lot less time with the ball, worse field position and our defense more rest.

If we had of protected the ball, we would have had a shot at winning that game even if none of our drives that ended in turn overs produced points. (except the INT in the end zone which should have been pretty much a given of at least 3 pts)
Like they say, If, "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas all year long. But you're right :) It's the little things. GB didn't play well that game, but a few sloppy plays and it was blown wide open. Against a poor team, you can make those mistakes. Against a good team, well they make you pay to the tune of 38-8 or whatever it was. Get the little things right and we have a good chance of winning down there.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I don't think a "true" fan or "real" fan exists. They are mythical creatures like unicorns and leprechauns and vikings Lombardi trophy polishers. I certainly don't agree with your definition of one. I've missed plenty of Packers games over the last few years as I have had things going on that I thought were more important. I've switched to the red zone channel many times and not gotten back in time to see all the plays. By your definition I'm not a true fan. So be it. I used to think that a "true" fan would NEVER root for his team to lose just to get a higher draft pick. Now I realize its just one fans way of rooting for his team and his hopes for improvement. I still don't agree but I will no longer consider these fans any less passionate than I am. I know guys who you probably would consider true fans and if they are the company I would have to keep to be considered a true fan I'd be honored not to be one.

I'm probably over reacting to your comments and I mean nothing personal. It's just that few things get me going more than when I see or hear someone telling me what a "real" fan or a "true" fan is.

I don't really want to get into a big debate, because I think it's highly philosophical and personal. I really meant no offense by my comment, but I will explain my sentiments. First, I said that "only you can know for sure", because I think fanhood is highly personal and not everyone's definition is going to be the same. That being said, if you're not invested in the outcome of the game, regardless of the perceived chances, it makes it hard for me to consider you a "serious" fan. That doesn't mean you have to be at the game or even watch on TV, as it's certainly understandable that life can get in the way. I've never been to Lambeau, although it's absolutely in my plans to get to some games in the near future, but I don't think it makes me a "bad" fan. But again, only I know what it means to me. As far as this comment, "I know guys who you probably would consider true fans and if they are the company I would have to keep to be considered a true fan I'd be honored not to be one", my definition of a "true" fan doesn't require one to be an a-hole, though I guess it doesn't preclude it either. I'm a pretty calm person, and I prefer not to watch with certain people, but their (and my) behavior doesn't make them (or me) any more or less of a fan. To me, it's more about the feeling I get when watching the Packers, and I'm assuming you know that feeling.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philly, the Giants, Bills and Jets are in the top 13 in yards per game. As were Tampa, Carolina, NE, Atlanta and the Saints who Washington played. So 11 of their 16 games were against teams in the top 13. I would say that is a good amount of good offenses

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition, I would think it possible that the remaining teams might be wary of the Packers because of intangibles;
-It's a playoff tested team, 7 years in a row.
-They may wonder, is it possible these guys have finally got it together enough to be a serious threat?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition, I would think it possible that the remaining teams might be wary of the Packers because of intangibles;
-It's a playoff tested team, 7 years in a row.
-They may wonder, is it possible these guys have finally got it together enough to be a serious threat?

Don't know if it counts, but there are only seven guys on the team to have been through seven playoffs.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like they say, If, "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas all year long. But you're right :) It's the little things. GB didn't play well that game, but a few sloppy plays and it was blown wide open. Against a poor team, you can make those mistakes. Against a good team, well they make you pay to the tune of 38-8 or whatever it was. Get the little things right and we have a good chance of winning down there.
I see it being real hard to play as sloppy as we did last time down there. After a much improved game in Washington, and after the last trip to the desert, I expect focus and attention to detail to be top priority this week in practice

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have gone 5-6 since the bye week with the offense struggling for the majority of those 11 games. While their performance against a below average defense was promising I want to see them being capable of scoring against an Elite defense before I get excited about our chances to make it to the Super Bowl.

I agree that we still have to convince many sports fans that we are a legit team.
funny thing though is Packers would have been an "elite" team, as well, if they continued to play as they did prior to the bye. You have to agree that this team had problems considering they lost to the damn Bears and Lions after the bye week. Conversely we had beaten some good teams prior to the bye. Something was off, and to know what the heck happened whether it be the receivers, Oline, running game, Rodgers himself, injuries, etc is still left to be desired.

Hopefully we can pull it off. I still do think we have a chance. Maybe this will be another high scoring, intense game like way back in 2000 something when they last met in the playoff. This time we will win! :D

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that we still have to convince many sports fans that we are a legit team.
funny thing though is Packers would have been an "elite" team, as well, if they continued to play as they did prior to the bye. You have to agree that this team had problems considering they lost to the damn Bears and Lions after the bye week. Conversely we had beaten some good teams prior to the bye. Something was off, and to know what the heck happened whether it be the receivers, Oline, running game, Rodgers himself, injuries, etc is still left to be desired.

Hopefully we can pull it off. I still do think we have a chance. Maybe this will be another high scoring, intense game like way back in 2000 something when they last met in the playoff. This time we will win! :D

2009 Season, game was Jan 2010... We dont have Jarrett Bush anymore so hopefully they can't score 50.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
As the regular season was coming to an end, it actually crossed my mind that the Packers had worked themselves into an interesting "rope-a-dope" strategy for the playoffs.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers win a defensive battle with a 42 yard field goal in the final minute by a score of 17-16.
I'll take that.

The Falcons got beat 38-0 by the Panthers. Their next meeting, the Falcons defeat the Panthers. How is the Packers-Cardinals matchup like the Falcons-Panthers? Or is it?

footballdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is it!!!

I am gladly eating crow for the Washington win.

Now lets see how the offense can play vs Arizona
Gonna be eating Cardinal this week........sorry, gonna hate to beat your Packers. Packers fans were cool when I went to Lambeau a few years back......first time in Wisconsin, had my first taste of cheese curds, brat and even did a fish boil near Fish Creek I think it was called. Ate at some place with goats on the roof....lol.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna be eating Cardinal this week........sorry, gonna hate to beat your Packers. Packers fans were cool when I went to Lambeau a few years back......first time in Wisconsin, had my first taste of cheese curds, brat and even did a fish boil near Fish Creek I think it was called. Ate at some place with goats on the roof....lol.

If you Cards fans already want to count this game as a win be my guest. Cards are a very good team, but the Packers have shown that they are capable of putting together a good game themselves. And finally after all these weeks of poor play the Packers have some confidence and momentum behind them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see it being real hard to play as sloppy as we did last time down there. After a much improved game in Washington, and after the last trip to the desert, I expect focus and attention to detail to be top priority this week in practice

I really hope that focus and attention to detail is a top priority every single week.

funny thing though is Packers would have been an "elite" team, as well, if they continued to play as they did prior to the bye. You have to agree that this team had problems considering they lost to the damn Bears and Lions after the bye week.

The offense struggled for three weeks before the bye week as well but because the team was winning a lot of fans ignored it.

Any news yet on Shields, Rollins and Adams?

The Packers won't practice until Wednesday, so we'll have to wait at least another day.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may see yet another wrinkle in the offense. I heard former GM Pat Kirwan on NFL radio yesterday talking about the new run scheme MM used a couple of times against the Redskins Sunday.He said it was a thing of beauty and executed perfectly.

Members online

Latest posts