Our running game

Churd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know this is Aaron Rodgers team and he makes the offense go, but hear me out. Jamaal Williams was running the ball like a man possessed today. We all know what Aaron Jones brings to the table. I really feel like we would benefit by becoming a run-first team. Rodgers is no spring chicken. It’s a no brainer that if you establish the run game the play-action and downfield passing opens up. Maybe it’s time we became a hard nosed pound the ball and stuff the run team. Everything else should fall into place. Just draft and sign as much talent as we can and hire a hard nosed possibly D-minded head coach.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't need to run the ball more than they pass, they just have to run the ball more than they usually do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now I know this is Aaron Rodgers team and he makes the offense go, but hear me out. Jamaal Williams was running the ball like a man possessed today. We all know what Aaron Jones brings to the table. I really feel like we would benefit by becoming a run-first team. Rodgers is no spring chicken. It’s a no brainer that if you establish the run game the play-action and downfield passing opens up.

It's true that Williams was running pretty well vs. the Jets but it's kind of strange to complain about the game plan after putting up 44 points.

BTW running the ball has practically no affect on the success of play action.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know this is Aaron Rodgers team and he makes the offense go, but hear me out. Jamaal Williams was running the ball like a man possessed today. We all know what Aaron Jones brings to the table. I really feel like we would benefit by becoming a run-first team. Rodgers is no spring chicken. It’s a no brainer that if you establish the run game the play-action and downfield passing opens up. Maybe it’s time we became a hard nosed pound the ball and stuff the run team. Everything else should fall into place. Just draft and sign as much talent as we can and hire a hard nosed possibly D-minded head coach.

95 yards from Williams on Sunday, and some timely runs by #12. Pretty good production, especially when you factor in the absence of Aaron Jones.

I enjoy watching how the Saints use their running backs, both in the running and passing game- They've got two good ones, and they get plenty of touches every week. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in Green Bay, but I suppose that depends on who the next HC is.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
that's because the Packers have been playing from behind all year but yes they need to run more.
Uh no. Packers were ahead or tied 7 times this season at the start of the 4th quarter and within one score three more times. So they really weren't playing from behind in at least 10 of the games. And at least two of the other games they did come from behind to win (Chicago week 1 and yesterday.) And yes they needed to spend more time earlier and in practice getting a decent number of effective attempts out of the run game.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh no. Packers were ahead or tied 7 times this season at the start of the 4th quarter and within one score three more times. So they really weren't playing from behind in at least 10 of the games. And at least two of the other games they did come from behind to win (Chicago week 1 and yesterday.) And yes they needed to spend more time earlier and in practice getting a decent number of effective attempts out of the run game.
which means they were behind 8 times and ended up losing 8 games (6-8-1)...that's most of the season. don't forget that all the deferring put them a td down, before they ever touched the ball, most games also.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm getting Seattle flashbacks...

But yes I'm in complete agreement. We didn't get blown out by any team so that tells me we're right in the mix of things. All we gotta do is execute better, and make better decisions.

*Looks at Rodgers*

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have a tough decision on who to keep between Jones and Williams. I like Jones ...I think he can be a top 5 RB in the league...crazy thing is the more I watch Williams play he can probably be a top 5 RB as well. Both guys catch the ball well and run between the tackles well but Jones is just a big play waiting to happen which separates him from Williams. Williams can make plays don’t get me wrong...but Jones has breakaway speed. The thing tho is Williams seems to stay healthy and he hasn’t had any off field issues. Going to get real interesting if they extend Jones during next season...will they pull the trigger on some RB starved team and trade Williams...or let him leave for free where he can go start for Several teams. I look at a team like Kansas City or Philadelphia and Williams being a major force in a system with a good OC and Young QB.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have a tough decision on who to keep between Jones and Williams. I like Jones ...I think he can be a top 5 RB in the league...crazy thing is the more I watch Williams play he can probably be a top 5 RB as well. Both guys catch the ball well and run between the tackles well but Jones is just a big play waiting to happen which separates him from Williams. Williams can make plays don’t get me wrong...but Jones has breakaway speed. The thing tho is Williams seems to stay healthy and he hasn’t had any off field issues. Going to get real interesting if they extend Jones during next season...will they pull the trigger on some RB starved team and trade Williams...or let him leave for free where he can go start for Several teams. I look at a team like Kansas City or Philadelphia and Williams being a major force in a system with a good OC and Young QB.
good thing they don't really have to deal with that until after next season and even then they'll have the other for another year. both become UFA after 2020. i'm guessing they keep Jones as of right now but who knows.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
which means they were behind 8 times and ended up losing 8 games (6-8-1)...that's most of the season. don't forget that all the deferring put them a td down, before they ever touched the ball, most games also.
Do you make hasenpfeffer with all those heirs you split? They didn't lose all those 8 games they were not ahead in. I noted two. 10 games they were in it close enough to have not abandoned the run is the point, not the precise definition of the terms used.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re also first in the NFL in average yards per carry.
I like our young running backs, but that probably has more to do with teams not expecting us to run much, more than our actual skill at running the ball.
Not that we're bad, but I doubt we could keep that #1 ranking if we ran the ball as much as the average team (although I would happily be proven wrong).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We couldn’t run it off the goal line or get a 4th and 3 inches. We didn’t have a strong running game. Regardless of stats.

D

Deleted member 6794

We’re also first in the NFL in average yards per carry.

For the record, the Packers are currently second in yards per carry behind the Panthers.

95 yards from Williams on Sunday, and some timely runs by #12. Pretty good production, especially when you factor in the absence of Aaron Jones.

I enjoy watching how the Saints use their running backs, both in the running and passing game- They've got two good ones, and they get plenty of touches every week. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in Green Bay, but I suppose that depends on who the next HC is.

You have to realize that the Packers don't have a great receiving back like Kamara on the roster though.

that's because the Packers have been playing from behind all year but yes they need to run more.

The Packers have trailed by an average of 1.14 points (which is close to the league average of 1.22 points) with the offense taking the field this season. They could have definitely run the ball more often.

Opponents have received the opening kickoff 11 times this season, scoring a total of four touchdowns on those drives. That doesn't qualify as most games of the season.

Both Jones and Williams are under contract for another two seasons, therefore the Packers won't have to make a decision on either of them anytime soon.

Unfortunately I don't agree that they excel in the passing game.

BTW as I've told you already several times, teams aren't allowed to extend a player before the final season of his rookie contract. Therefore the Packers can't renegotiate Jones' deal during next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the rbs we have. But we should pick up an older work horse (like Peterson was), on the cheap. Keep him at #3 until week 2 or 3 when our the rbs start dropping.... Again.

Getting a higher quality oline(and d line) will fix all our problems I believe... Maybe a olb to replace Mathews in day two. But the lines need a rebuild as a priority.

There's always a good list of old work horse rbs who can't take 250 carries anymore. But can be a solid contributor for 100. And a solid insurance policy for our unreliable(so far) young rbs.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opponents have received the opening kickoff 11 times this season, scoring a total of four touchdowns on those drives. That doesn't qualify as most games of the season.
sure seems like more but ok, not most of the time then. of the four games they did allow td's, how many did they lose and by how much? serious question.

oh...and don't you think with the first half struggles of the D, and full-game struggles of the O, that those were wise decisions to defer? i don't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I like the rbs we have. But we should pick up an older work horse (like Peterson was), on the cheap. Keep him at #3 until week 2 or 3 when our the rbs start dropping.... Again.

Getting a higher quality oline(and d line) will fix all our problems I believe... Maybe a olb to replace Mathews in day two. But the lines need a rebuild as a priority.

There's always a good list of old work horse rbs who can't take 250 carries anymore. But can be a solid contributor for 100. And a solid insurance policy for our unreliable(so far) young rbs.

For the record, Williams hasn't missed a single game since being drafted in 2017.

sure seems like more but ok, not most of the time then. of the four games they did allow td's, how many did they lose and by how much? serious question.

oh...and don't you think with the first half struggles of the D, and full-game struggles of the O, that those were wise decisions to defer? i don't.

The Packers are 2-2 in the games in which they allowed a touchdown on the opening drive of the game. They lost both of those games by 14 points at Washington and New England.

Once again, I have posted stats supporting the theory
that deferring doesn't have a negative impact on the final score several times.