OTA/Camp Report

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
June 2
Some notes from today's OTA's:

-Bush is the nickel CB. Lee and Underwood are base CBs.

-Rookie Quarless drops pass in drills. He is getting plenty of instruction from TE coach Ben McAdoo today. He is raw and has a ways to go.

-Brandon Jackson and Jordy Nelson and Pat Lee returning kickoffs.

-Former Packers C Mike Flanagan is here working with the OLine as a coaching intern.

-Sam Shields lined up as punt returner.

Now, this from McCarthy's press conference prior to the practice (so take it with a grain of salt as we heard great things about Barbre last off-season):

-Pat Lee every time he gets on field makes plays. Excited about what he's shown so far. Brandon Underwood candidate for most improved.

-Burnett is natural football player. As for Bigby, all of our players understand importance of OTA and opportunities they are given.

-Concerned for Johnny Jolly. Monitoring situation closely.

- Have not talked to Jolly in at least a month. This will definitely be learning experience for him -- the court process. (WTF? how is it monitoring closely if we haven't talked to the bruthah in at least a month?..... someone clue me in please)

-QB Graham Harrell had heck of a workout. Had good grades from our scouts, Impressed with his velocity.

-Brad Jones also jumps out in terms of improvement from last year
-James Starks has been injured, and is getting close. Don't have time frame. Hamstring injury.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was certainly encouraged by all the good news coming from the secondary. Burnett has shown some leadership and the ability to communicate as the safety, which is supposedly the hardest part about being a rookie safety.

As far as Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood go, I think this is the reason why we didn't see us draft a CB in April. Both these guys are talented players and we have to let them develop instead of throwing more competition in front of them and stunting their growth and progress. We drafted Lee in the second round for a reason. This guy has skill, and like MM said whenever he is out there he is making plays. Translate that to the season and we truly do have a formidable corner group.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bedard said that on the TD to Finley, up the seem from 16 yards out, it was typical of the problems our defense had all last year under Capers, especially against Arizona and Minnesota.
Between the hash marks, somebody gets beat or leaves a guy uncovered.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Corner group w/ a health Al Harris, is quite a plethora of CB's. Al Harris is more of a physical, violent, tackling corner, Woodson makes plays, Tramon Williams has had specs of solid corner play and can cover well enough to be a 2nd corner, these other guys the clock is ticking a little bit, the switch of the defense will absolutely slow their maturation as corners in the NFL, but if they are as talented as I'm hearing, it puts me more at ease given the age of Woodson & Al Harris.

Burnett is sounding more and more like the player I saw on youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQf7WNWk7aQ]YouTube - Morgan Burnett Highlights[/ame]

And we can all agree there must be ever more improvement in the pass rush, ever though last year was better then recent years, WE NEED MORE PRODucTION IN THE PRESSURE DEPARTMENT...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPAjAXJEp9g&feature=related]YouTube - Clay Matthews highlights - rookie campaign 2009[/ame]

IF that happens....I'm not worried about our secondary whatsoever!!!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bedard said that on the TD to Finley, up the seem from 16 yards out, it was typical of the problems our defense had all last year under Capers, especially against Arizona and Minnesota.
Between the hash marks, somebody gets beat or leaves a guy uncovered.

It's the just the same old issue of an uncovered zone. It's a flaw in the zone-blitz scheme sure, but you have to pressure the QB fast enough for them not to see it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't get in the Pat Lee/Brandon Underwood bandwagon until they prove on the field when it matters.

But if they can play, dear lord...

Members online

Latest posts