1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OTA 4: JUNE 18-19

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TOPHAT, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TOPHAT

TOPHAT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Gone with the wind With top receivers Donald Driver and Greg Jennings absent today, the Packers' remaining passing targets made an impression: They can't catch, at least not in the wind. There were at least nine drops in the team's final open practice before training camp. That included four drops in six plays during one brutal stretch in a 7-on-7 period. The performance could be blamed at least partly on the steady, stiff breeze blowing from the southwest corner of Ray Nitschke Field. But it still was a sloppy effort, especially for potential bubble players like Ruvell Martin and Calvin Russell, who had two drops each. Of the six receivers who did participate, only rookies James Jones and David Clowney did not drop a ball. Jones had a series of nifty grabs, including a catch between three defenders during the team period and a leaping reception in the end zone during 7-on-7.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    McCarthy addresses Barnett's arrest The Packers have notified the NFL of linebacker Nick Barnett's arrest but had not heard anything back as of early this afternoon, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice. According to a police statement, Barnett was involved in a physical altercation about 2 a.m. Sunday at a downtown Appleton nightclub known as Wet, 344 W. College Ave. McCarthy said the team will monitor the situation closely and acknowledged it is a possibility Barnett could be punished regardless of what happens with the case. "Everybody knows the emphasis that's going on," McCarthy said, referring to the league's new player conduct policy. "At this time ... we'll just watch it closely. I can't control it."

Barnett was arrested for battery and was confined to the Outagamie County Jail a few blocks away. He was released from jail within an hour after posting a $500 cash bond. McCarthy addressed the team this morning regarding off-the-field conduct, as he also did Thursday after practice. "The lifestyle of being (an) NFL football player, you've got to be smart out there," McCarthy said. "First of all, you need to avoid that type of environment, and when you're in that type of situation ... defuse it." He added: "It's only one (incident), but I'm not going to sit here and justify one incident, because it shouldn't happen." Barnett, who signed a six-year, $35 million contract extension in April, did not participate in today's practice, which was mostly a review session. More than a dozen veterans did not attend and are not expected for Tuesday's final OTA practice either.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lots of absences today More than a dozen veterans are not at today's organized team activities, the last practice open to the media and public before training camp. Absent are: Brett Favre, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Bubba Franks, Robert Ferguson, Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Marquand Manuel, Nick Collins, Cullen Jenkins, Nick Barnett and Abdul Hodge. Not participating in all drills are Will Blackmon, Chris Francies, Tony Moll and Johnny Jolly.

Two NFL Europe players, Tim Goodwell and Carleton Brewster, are at practice today

2. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    OTA 4: JUNE 18-21

Carleton Brewster!!

I kinda like this guy. I hope he has a bright future.

I definitely don't like hearing the fact that MORE THEN A DOZEN veterans were not at practice. I mean, it's the Packers, we barely have a dozen veterans!! heh. I hope things come together a little better at training camp.

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

the first thing i did when i clicked on to this was hit CTRL+F then type in Dendy....

and nothing came up.

Tophat, I thought we went through this. There is no camp news without Dendy Updates!

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Well, I gotta say, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about Jimbo Jones now. It's nice to see him taking advantage of opportunities to get 1st team reps since Driver and Gregorious are out.

Still got a man crush on Dendy trom? Frank Walker all the way baby... mark my words, he'll be the cause of Dendy's fall on the depth chart!

5. TOPHAT

TOPHAT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: OTA 4: JUNE 18-21

FUNNY! I put PD PIC in Softball thread, tromadz.

6. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Re: OTA 4: JUNE 18-21

Everything was fine and Dendy and then you had to go and provoke the Trom. I can see the bright light between the floor and the door and can hear the ever growing rumble from within.

Something evil is about to happen.

7. TOPHAT

TOPHAT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  8. TOPHAT

TOPHAT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE

Down time The Packers wrap up their organized team activities with a closed session Tuesday. Rookies will remain in town through Friday. Reporters and fans won't see another practice until 2 p.m. July 28, when the team opens training camp at Hinkle Field. But Pete Dougherty, Rob Demovsky, Mike Vandermause and I will keep the blog updated daily with news, analysis and whatever other Packers-related material crosses our desks.
    More meaningless than usual Aaron Rodgers was running a No. 1 offense without its top receivers against a starting defense missing all but two starters. Oh, and the receivers who were there often looked like they were trying to catch greased pigs. Take the final OTA installment of mostly meaningless passing statistics with a shaker of salt (7-on-7 in parentheses):
    [align=center]Aaron Rodgers 14-for-26 (6-for-14)
    Ingle Martin 9-for-15 (4-for-5)
    Paul Thompson 1-for-1 (N/A)
    Jerry Babb 0-for-2 (0-for-1)[/align]

Vernand Morency had a chance to get in on the action, but he couldn't find anyone open for a would-be halfback pass during the final 7-on-7 period.
    The blitz: OTAs Week 4 Rookie quarterback Paul Thompson (Oklahoma) hooked up with tight end Zac Alcorn for the offensive play of the day, maneuvering out of the pocket and throwing a bullet to a sprawling Alcorn in the front right corner of the end zone. Thompson, widely expected to try receiver in the NFL, continues to split reps with fellow undrafted rookie Jerry Babb (Louisiana-Lafayette). The Packers could go into training camp with five quarterbacks, especially with starter Brett Favre on a pitch count. But there's no question Thompson's athleticism makes him a more intriguing camp arm than Babb, who has done little to distinguish himself during the offseason.
    Elsewhere:
    -- Coach Mike McCarthy was late arriving at the practice field, so offensive coordinator Joe Philbin relayed playcalls to the quarterbacks during team drills.

-- Vernand Morency took the first rep as kick returner, with rookie Ryan Powdrell as his wingman. Brandon Jackson, David Clowney and Noah Herron also worked in. Herron muffed one kick.

-- Safety Marviel Underwood (knee) continues to be held out of all contact drills, but he appeared to be moving well during a hip-swivel drill.

-- Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop nearly pulled off Donald Lee's shorts after the tight end beat him over the middle during a red-zone drill. Being too clingy in coverage has become a bit of a knock against Bishop, a sixth-round pick out of California.

-- Cornerback Jarrett Bush couldn't haul in a potential interception after Ruvell Martin fell down trying to get to an ugly wobbler from Ingle Martin. The over/under on Martins making the roster remains 1 1/2.
    Practice squad With nearly every key defensive player absent, reporters and fans got a look at a first-team base defense that never, under any circumstances, will play together in a game. Defensive line: Daniel Muir, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery and Colin Cole. Linebackers: Spencer Havner, A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga. Secondary: Patrick Dendy, Frank Walker, Atari Bigby and Tyrone Culver.

A number of offensive players also were elevated on the depth chart, and increased opportunities with the first and second units seemed to produce unusually physical play for a June practice. Players hit the ground often near the line of scrimmage during team drills, and there were at least two 1-on-1 altercations.

The Oakland Raiders recently lost their final week of OTAs for violating the collective bargaining agreement because of excessive contact in practice, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged it's a fine line."(Coaches) want the tempo, you want the intensity, but players (staying healthy) is at a premium," McCarthy said. "That's something we talk about all the time, especially in the spring, because we're only in helmets."

Today's first altercation ended with tight end Zac Alcorn grabbing and twisting rookie linebacker Rory Johnson's facemask as Johnson lay on the ground. The second occurred when, after end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila jumped offside, guard Daryn Colledge kept blocking first-year defensive tackle Devarick Scandrett, who lost his helmet before teammates jumped in. There also was at least one brief incident in a blocking drill, and Gbaja-Biamila nearly took out Vernand Morency with an inadvertent clothesline during a team period.

9. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Morency worked out hard this offseason and is noticeably larger, which is why im rooting him on.

I like work ethic.

11. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You know the article really tries to bring a negative to the receivers but when I read this........

I felt much better. Outside of Driver or Jennings those are the only two I really put much weight into this season as a receiver. Hearing that these two are doing well really cancels anything bad out that a undrafted players might do.

12. MassPackersFan

MassPackersFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    James Jones has been continuously impressive so far in these OTA's. What the hell does GB know about drafting WR's that everybody else doesn't?

It seems like every picture I see of Harrell is him working technique drills with Kampman. Do you think the coaching staff has put it on Kampman to train with Harrell to speed up his learning?

13. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Harrell & Kampman....It seems that every picture I've seen of Harrell this year, he appears very laid-back, no intensity shown. No expressions at all. I hope this is just an impression I get, i.e. not truthful at all. We need a fire-eater there. Oh hell, I guess I'm just bored and imaginative. He'll be just fine, and Kampman will be a great influence on him.

14. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    About the comment that the receivers weren't catching well, I don't really care too much. Pretty much the only receivers I care about in camp are DD, Jennings, Jones, and Clowney. Those are my locks for the season.. at least in my opinion.. I'd really like to see Jones and Clowney to emerge and become contributors.

15. RainX

RainX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    You always like to believe that draft picks tend to have an edge (at least in their first season) in making the final roster over UDFAs. Now it's by no means a lock to say the least. All you have to do is look at that useless pile Cory Rodgers who couldn't even stay more than a couple of weeks on the 49ers practice squad before being washed out of the NFL entirely at this point.

Jones seems to be taking advantage of what time he is given and I'd say is an inside favorite for the slot receiver spot at this point. Clowney can hopefully become a returner for the Packers and contribute that way even if he doesn't see the playing field much on offense. As far as the final receiver spot goes, there's still Martin, Holiday, Brewster, Russell among others who are going to be scrapping to make the final WR spot on the 53 man roster. And let's not forget old Fergy who may still have something left in the tank, assuming he shows enough in training camp to make it worth the Packers pay his inflated salary and is not on IR again by Week 4.

16. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Er where is SS Aaron Rouse?

The list of players given the review day off didn't include Rouse.

The list of injured players not practicing didn't include Rouse.

It doesn't mention that Rouse was excused.

If Rouse wasn't starting with essentially 2nd and 3rd tier players getting starts in place of the absent vets, it's a little worrying.

The article doesn't mention Rouse being injured, but then there is also no mention of him at practice at all. It'll be a big bummer if Bigby and Culver were getting starting reps over Rouse. :-?

17. TOPHAT

TOPHAT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rouse was at the BF celebrity softball game, and no bad news to report he was not fully active at OTA 4.

18. TOPHAT

TOPHAT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TUESDAY UPDATES

The great unknown and other odds and ends

The Packers' offseason program ended Tuesday with the final session of organized team activities (OTAs), meaning the next time reporters and fans see the players on the field will be for the opening practice of training camp on July 28. Never in my 10 years covering the Packers have I had less of a feel for the team's No. 1 draft pick going into training camp than this year. Defensive tackle Justin Harrell, the 16th pick in April's draft, did next to nothing on the field during the minicamps and OTAs. Coming off the torn biceps tendon injury that limited him to only three games during his final season at Tennessee last fall, the Packers were extremely cautious with Harrell. He took part in only a handful of individual drill but got no work during any team (11-on-11) or one-on-one passing rushing drills. Coach Mike McCarthy said on Monday that team doctors should clear Harrell to return in a couple of weeks. However, there are no on-the-field sessions scheduled until training camp begins.

By all accounts, Harrell was an impact football player in college football when he's on the field. However, at this point, there's no way to know how he'll assimilate into the NFL game. Given that he has yet to go head-to-head against an NFL offensive linemen, it'll be a critical training camp for the rookie.

Odds and ends: At first glance, McCarthy's training camp schedule looks a bit on the soft side. Never do the Packers practice more than four straight days and during what is usually a grinding time leading up to the first preseason game, the Packers have three days off. However, it's hard to blame McCarthy for changing things up given the way the Packers have started seasons recently. Last season, the Packers started 1-4. Before McCarthy arrived in 2006, the Packers started 0-4 in 2005, 1-4 in 2004 and 1-2 in 2003. ...
    Though very little kicking took place during the OTA sessions open to reporters, Dave Rayner added a little spice to the kicking battle by missing a pair of 46-yard kicks. Rookie Mason Crosby, a sixth-round pick, nailed his only attempt, also from 46 yards. It'll be an interesting battle to watch in camp.

Is anyone else starting to wonder if Will Blackmon is just one of those guys who can never stay healthy? The cornerback, who is the leading candidate to become the nickel defensive back, missed most of the OTAs due to a groin injury. Last year, he missed all of training due to a broken foot and then when he finally returned, he lasted only a month before he sustained a season-ending rib injury.

Packers' Underwood Returns to Practice

After sitting out all of last season with a torn ACL, Green Bay Packers safety Marviel Underwood returned to the field much earlier than expected. Safety Marviel Underwood, who wasn't expected to participate in any team (11-on-11) drills until training camp, slipped into the defensive backfield for a few snaps during the team red zone sequence on Monday. The former fourth-round draft pick (2005) practiced yesterday [as noted] for the first time since the preseason of last year and by all accounts, looked pretty good. At one point he actually went one-on-one with a receiver in the red zone and came away with a deflection. This is great news for the Packers, who have been dealing with all sorts of little, annoying injuries this offseason. And while they are not exactly thin at safety, this just adds another quality talent to the battle for the starting job.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070619/PKR01/706190434/1989

McCarthy's Year 2 goal? A good start

If Mike McCarthy could have one do-over from his rookie season as an NFL head coach, he'd probably go back to late August. The Green Bay Packers had eight days between their second and third preseason games, and McCarthy put them through nearly a full week of practice, including six straight days of regular training camp workouts. The Packers subsequently were blown out, 48-17 by the Cincinnati Bengals, in what is typically the most important exhibition game because the starters see most of the playing time. That seemed to start a downward spiral that included the Week 1 shutout loss to the Chicago Bears at home and a 1-4 start.

Hindsight told McCarthy he overworked his team during the dog days of training camp, something he admitted on Monday, a day before his team was to conclude organized team activities — the last official workouts before training camp opens on July 28. When McCarthy revealed his 2007 training camp schedule on Monday, it reflected the one mulligan McCarthy wishes he had last season. This summer, the Packers never will practice more than four straight days, and McCarthy has opted to give the players three Wednesdays off from practice. On Aug. 1, 8 and 15, players will report for meetings and film review sessions in the morning with players getting the afternoon and evening off. All three Wednesdays follow a two-a-day practice schedule that will be the same as last year (an 8:45 morning practice in shells and a 6:30 evening session in full pads). "I go back to rest and recovery," McCarthy said. "That's something I was critical of myself last year."

In all, the Packers will have three fewer training camp practices than last year but McCarthy said his players will lose only about 100 total reps. The Packers also will finish the preseason one day earlier (on Aug. 30 at Tennessee) than last year, giving McCarthy an extra day to prepare for the regular-season opener against Philadelphia on Sept. 9. "That's clearly the focus," McCarthy said. "We need to start fast. That's been a problem here of late, particularly last year. We'll be fresh coming out of training camp, especially with us playing at Tennessee on that Thursday night, so no excuses." The subtle change in the training camp schedule is just one of the differences in Year 2 under McCarthy, whose team won its final four games last season to finish 8-8. There have been small changes in the offseason strength/conditioning program and adjustments in scheme and game planning.

"I certainly think we're in better position now than we were a year ago," veteran long snapper Rob Davis said. "I know we lost some key players and we need to replace those guys in a hurry, but I think the confidence level should be a little higher, which should equate to a faster start." Perhaps the biggest difference, however, is simply that there's continuity on the coaching staff, meaning schemes are being tweaked instead of taught. "We're clearly a lot further ahead than we were last year at this time," McCarthy said. "That's very obvious when you look out there on the football field (and see) the improvement a number of our players have made since last year. Just the way we practice — our practices are better. I think that's part of where we are as a football team and how much of the offense, defense and special teams that we have in. Everything we're going to use next year is in. "Last year, we accomplished the same thing, but I think we did a lot better job this year of eliminating things and cutting the volume down as tight as we can get it." That has allowed the coaches to work on game-specific looks and situations during this month's OTA sessions.

"Like today, we (worked against) a 3-4 (defense); we did some Bear defense; we got two goal-line looks when last year we only did one," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said after Monday's practice. "We're throwing a lot at these guys, so I feel good about what we've accomplished. I don't think we had that kind of time or opportunity last spring." Same thing for the defense, which has the same coordinator in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2003. "I think we're definitely ahead," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "We've gotten to see some things, too, which allows us to hone in on some areas where we may have been a little light in the package and maybe eliminate some stuff where we were a little heavy in the package."

19. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it is only OTAs, and I don't think that Harrell is full go yet. Maybe I missed where he came back, but I think he's still being held back. It looks like those picks of him & Kampy are technique drills, where Harrell is needing to retain information rather than bring the fuego.

And I seem to remember reading that he was the Vols' emotional leader on D, and that he was a firebrand. I'm not worried about his intensity, just the team in general's health.