Osi umenyiora dissed Aaron Rodgers?

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they found a stat that says AR is 0-37 when losing by one point or more in the 4th Q against winning teams, Osi actually says he is a fan of AR and has bigged him up, but possibly too much. they only look at that one stat and think it's pretty damning to then consider him the GOAT.

He wasn't that clutch his first 2 years in the league and a lot of those losses came in the first two years. I can make the argument he is the most clutch QB in my lifetime, especially ever since the Bears Week 17 throw to Cobb. The people that take that stat with a lot of credence are either 1)people that don't watch the games or 2) morons talking out of their ***.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion there's more to being the MVP than throwing touchdown passes. I understand that's being overlooked when relying on fantasy football numbers to make a decision.

I won't put any effort into finding the correct number but the one you posted is definitely BS (week 1 vs. the Bears comes to my mind thinking about it for leas than a minute).

I don't know if that stat is true or not, but perhaps it is taking the team's record at the time. Obviously in Week 1 the Bears could not be a winning team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Game winning drives from a season MVP is overrated in my opinion given that the past 8 MVP winners at quarterback have averaged 2.12 game winning drives on average, with the most of the bunch being Cam Newton's 4 in 2015.

In my opinion that makes Brees number even more impressive.

You got me on the completion percentage. But again, it's not enough to surpass the overwhelming discrepancy in TDs and yards. But those are "fantasy" stats that don't result in wins or losses so I guess they don't count. :ninja:

Touchdown passes as well as yards should definitely be considered when voting for the MVP but it shouldn't be the most important criteria.

I don't know if that stat is true or not, but perhaps it is taking the team's record at the time. Obviously in Week 1 the Bears could not be a winning team.

Well, in that case it took me less than a minute once again to come up with a game in which Rodgers led the team to a comeback against a team with a winning record at that point (week 17 of the 2013 season to clinch the division at Soldier Field vs. the Bears).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole notion of trying to say Rodgers isn't good against good teams is kind of silly. He hasn't been great in every single game he's played, that is true. But over his career he's been one of the best to play. To me, the obscure of stat you have to find to prove a point, the more silly the argument becomes. Like the Bears game not counting because they were 0-0 at the time. BFD. The won the division and were a playoff team. The pundits really reach when trying to make points. How about we find how many games GB and Rodgers have won when up by 2 scores going into the 4th quarter compared to other QB's?

D

Deleted member 6794

This whole notion of trying to say Rodgers isn't good against good teams is kind of silly. He hasn't been great in every single game he's played, that is true. But over his career he's been one of the best to play. To me, the obscure of stat you have to find to prove a point, the more silly the argument becomes. Like the Bears game not counting because they were 0-0 at the time. BFD. The won the division and were a playoff team. The pundits really reach when trying to make points. How about we find how many games GB and Rodgers have won when up by 2 scores going into the 4th quarter compared to other QB's?

I agree it's an obscure stat to bring up, especially as it isn't correct by any means.

It should be mentioned that since 2008 the Packers rank second in the league in passer rating vs. opponents which finished the season with a winning record while ranking fifth in win percentage in those games.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't that clutch his first 2 years in the league and a lot of those losses came in the first two years. I can make the argument he is the most clutch QB in my lifetime, especially ever since the Bears Week 17 throw to Cobb. The people that take that stat with a lot of credence are either 1)people that don't watch the games or 2) morons talking out of their ***.
i was just taking from the BBC link that was posted, as you yanks won't be able to watch it. and in my opinion, it doesn't make Osi look like he disses AR all the time like the op stated

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In my opinion that makes Brees number even more impressive.
It pales in comparison though to Matt Stafford's 8 game winning drives in a 13 week stretch in 2016 though. ;)

It should be mentioned that since 2008 the Packers rank second in the league in passer rating vs. opponents which finished the season with a winning record while ranking fifth in win percentage in those games.
That's some good stuff. Unfortunately it won't be enough to quiet the anti-Rodgers crowd. Something about that group that doesn't care for the facts.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in that case it took me less than a minute once again to come up with a game in which Rodgers led the team to a comeback against a team with a winning record at that point (week 17 of the 2013 season to clinch the division at Soldier Field vs. the Bears).

I found the actual stat here, which has a table listing all the games:

https://captaincomeback.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/2016-nfl-conference-championship-predictions/

Rodgers in 2017 was 0-35 in his career when trailing by 2 or more points in the 4th quarter against a team with a winning record at the time. Week 17 in 2013, the Packers were down 28-27 against the Bears when he found Cobb, so that's not part of the stat.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

https://captaincomeback.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/2016-nfl-conference-championship-predictions/

Rodgers in 2017 was 0-35 in his career when trailing by 2 or more points in the 4th quarter against a team with a winning record at the time. Week 17 in 2013, the Packers were down 28-27 against the Bears when he found Cobb, so that's not part of the stat.

Not that it matters, but the Packers trailed by eight points before Lacy scored on a six-yard run with 11:38 left in that game.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems that list only includes games in which teams trailed by at least two points entering the fourth quarter.

Just to clarify, all teams combined have won a total of only 140 of those games over the past 11 seasons. The Packers three wins in those situations is tied for 21st over that period. You have to realize that only three teams found themselves in a situation like that less often.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One is forced to wonder if AR12 was on the field when all those teams scored 30, 40, 50+ points against the Packers.

Every negative stat regarding AR12s career should come with an asterisk "*Dom Capers coached defense".

Yeah, I'm an AR12 homer but to assign the blame to him for all these losses is ridiculous.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"At the time" *****.
I don't see this as a laughable stat. I remember the winning team "at the time" idea being thrown around a lot back when the Packers were struggling under Favre. They went through a spell where they had trouble against winning teams also. I don't think the "at the time" concept is all that obscure.

There's something to be said for taking your opponent's record at the time that you face them into account. We all know that there are many teams who are much better in December than in September. Also, think back a few years - it would make a whole lot of difference if you played the Packers while Rodgers was still the quarterback, or when he was injured and Hundley was finishing out the season. The record "at the time" might be a more accurate test of your mettle than the record they finished the season with.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see this as a laughable stat. I remember the winning team "at the time" idea being thrown around a lot back when the Packers were struggling under Favre. They went through a spell where they had trouble against winning teams also. I don't think the "at the time" concept is all that obscure.

There's something to be said for taking your opponent's record at the time that you face them into account. We all know that there are many teams who are much better in December than in September. Also, think back a few years - it would make a whole lot of difference if you played the Packers while Rodgers was still the quarterback, or when he was injured and Hundley was finishing out the season. The record "at the time" might be a more accurate test of your mettle than the record they finished the season with.

Just to be clear about it, the list only includes games vs. teams that finished the season with a winning record.