On to 2021!

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its clear now MLF has a QB friendly offense, so I see our MVP playing for us at least two more seasons. I cant see J. Love sitting on the bench two more seasons with little live game action, also Love would be in his 4th year before he may start....as a team the Packers would be losing out on most of his low cap rookie contract. I think the Packers look at a trade. Washington would be a good partner, Love for a 2nd and 4th. think of Love as a car you just drove off the lot....not gonna get all your money back. So we would have pick 32...Washington 2nd, our 2nd our 3rd and 3- 4th round picks....plus the later rounds. Lets also find a partner and trade back out of 32 for a 2nd and 3rd. With those moves we have 3..2nd round picks 2..3rd round picks and 4..4th round picks...maybe trade the 4-4th rounders and move up even more. All in all the packers would be looking at 7-8 or 9 picks there. we add 2 CBs DT OL WR RB...strength for next year and future. Just do it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baron Browning is showing out right now with a defense which is grossly overmatched by Bama

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Devonta Smith finishes a 13 game season with...

117 receptions

1,856 yards

23 touchdowns

15.9 YPR

The 16 game numbers at that pace would be 144/2290/28.

Even in this era of football, those numbers are eye-popping.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devonta Smith finishes a 13 game season with...

117 receptions

1,856 yards

23 touchdowns

15.9 YPR

The 16 game numbers at that pace would be 144/2290/28.

Even in this era of football, those numbers are eye-popping.
I didn't even watch the game last night, just caught his highlights this morning. Seems kind of small, but then so was Driver. Hard to tell, is he that good or was OH state that bad? He was mostly running wide open or a quick pass. He did have that catch on the sideline and showed great body control and awareness to stop stretch back, toe tap, everything you'd need to be successful at the next level.

But the rest was just an open guy catching easy balls. I don't get to watch much college football these days at all, i'm just kind of wondering is he that much better than everyone, or is 'Bama just that much better than everyone? he looks fast and shifty, but he didn't break many tackles either. Got the edge and turned up field nicely, but was that because he's so fast, or OH state just a tick slower than they'll be at the next level?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even watch the game last night, just caught his highlights this morning. Seems kind of small, but then so was Driver. Hard to tell, is he that good or was OH state that bad? He was mostly running wide open or a quick pass. He did have that catch on the sideline and showed great body control and awareness to stop stretch back, toe tap, everything you'd need to be successful at the next level.

But the rest was just an open guy catching easy balls. I don't get to watch much college football these days at all, i'm just kind of wondering is he that much better than everyone, or is 'Bama just that much better than everyone? he looks fast and shifty, but he didn't break many tackles either. Got the edge and turned up field nicely, but was that because he's so fast, or OH state just a tick slower than they'll be at the next level?

Manufactured touches are a ton of his stuff, but that is because all you need to do is get him the ball unmolested and its nearly a guaranteed 7-12 yards gained MINIMUM. The cat is crazy good with the ball, and he isn't just fast he is quick, and he isn't just fast and quick dude accelerates very fast as well. His size is his only true negative, but I don't think he is nearly the same WR if you add inches and 20 pounds. He would flourish in a MLF system, but unless we trade up BIG TIME not an option. Smith is excellent though he does carry a high chance at the next level of getting banged up rather easy.

That aside, I'm officially a Baron Browning fan. Kid excelled and over delivered in a match up which they were outgunned across the board. It will be interesting to see how he does measurables wise and how the draft comes together for him - I'd take him wearing a G on his helmet next year.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He’s just that good.

Reminiscent of Marvin Harrison.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
BOLD PREDICTION: Green Bay won't draft a single player from any of the CFB Playoff Teams.

I'm always a little leery of some of the players from these top ranked schools. Yes, their rosters are filled with amazing talent and many of them go on to have productive NFL careers. However, I think putting all that talent on the field can easily make some players look better than they really are.

I know there is a lot of buzz about Justin Fields and it would be just like the Jets to get him and have him fail. When was the last time an OSU QB made a splash in the NFL? Yet over the last several years, they have had some really good "college QB's" (Terrell Smith, Pryor, Cardale Jones and Haskins). Hell, since 82 they have had 12 QB's drafted and the one that probably did the most was Tom Toupa (1988), as a punter. Joe Burrow might have changed the OSU NFL QB jinx, but he transferred out "just in time".

Maybe when you get into the mid rounds you take a chance on an underachiever from one of these schools. A player that didn't see much playing time due to being stuck behind a superstar on the depth chart.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm always a little leery of some of the players from these top ranked schools. Yes, their rosters are filled with amazing talent and many of them go on to have productive NFL careers. However, I think putting all that talent on the field can easily make some players look better than they really are.

I know there is a lot of buzz about Justin Fields and it would be just like the Jets to get him and have him fail. When was the last time an OSU QB made a splash in the NFL? Yet over the last several years, they have had some really good "college QB's" (Terrell Smith, Pryor, Cardale Jones and Haskins). Hell, since 82 they have had 12 QB's drafted and the one that probably did the most was Tom Toupa (1988), as a punter. Joe Burrow might have changed the OSU NFL QB jinx, but he transferred out "just in time".

Maybe when you get into the mid rounds you take a chance on an underachiever from one of these schools. A player that didn't see much playing time due to being stuck behind a superstar on the depth chart.

I will say this about Fields, kid is tough and has shown more touch on his passes than any of the prior QBs from there. I think he is the best of that bunch, and most NFL ready out of them. Is he capable of lighting an organization unfire without pieces around him, I don't think so, but I have about as much confidence in him as I had in Herbert last year - I have him as my overall QB2 but depending on the system in place I actually really like Trask in all honesty over him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't even watch the game last night, just caught his highlights this morning. Seems kind of small, but then so was Driver. Hard to tell, is he that good or was OH state that bad?

I think he is THAT good. I couldn't help dreaming all night about him lined up opposite of Adams, but he will be gone in the first 4-10 picks. Who knows, maybe after last night, someone will take him with the 3rd pick. I just hope he doesn't make it to the Lions at #7. Philly is at #6 and if there was ever a team that needed WR's, its Philly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is THAT good. I couldn't help dreaming all night about him lined up opposite of Adams, but he will be gone in the first 4-10 picks. Who knows, maybe after last night, someone will take him with the 3rd pick. I just hope he doesn't make it to the Lions at #7. Philly is at #6 and if there was ever a team that needed WR's, its Philly.

Lions would be VERY smart to give Stafford a final push with that weapon in hand. I would HATE it, but they'd be dumb not to attempt to nab him with a trade up even to leave no doubt.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Any time a receiver is as slight as Smith is, there's a risk of busting just because of size. I will say that Ridley was similarly built coming out of Alabama and has done very well for himself.

But Smith is an elite separator and route runner who has dominated the best competition that CFB can offer.

He's often wide open because corners can't cover him.

The guy put 11/167/2 on Georgia, 7/171/2 on Auburn, 8/231/3 on LSU, 15/184/2 on Florida, 7/130/3 on Notre Dame, and now 12/215/3 on Ohio State (basically in a half).

Here are his per game stats compared to the 1st round Alabama receivers to come out in recent years in their final seasons with the Tide:
  • Devonta Smith: 9/143/1.77
  • Amari Cooper: 9/123/1.14
  • Julio Jones: 6/87/.5
  • Jerry Jeudy: 5.9/89/.77
  • Calvin Ridley: 4.5/69/.36
  • Henry Ruggs: 3.3/62/.58

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure, Smith is that first guy that gets a lot of manufactured touches that can and does also excel in route running...very rare quality. Honestly, I think Smith is one of the most electric with the ball guys the draft has seen in years...I just don't ever talk about him much because ZERO chance he comes here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For sure, Smith is that first guy that gets a lot of manufactured touches that can and does also excel in route running...very rare quality. Honestly, I think Smith is one of the most electric with the ball guys the draft has seen in years...I just don't ever talk about him much because ZERO chance he comes here.

The first thing I thought about when I saw Smith was "ok, this guy looks small and lean, I bet he is injured a lot." A look at his stats at Bama and it doesn't look like he has missed a game in his 4 years there. Will be interesting to see if he bulks up for the NFL or just stays somewhat lean. Will an NFL team allow him to return punts?

I agree with you though, he will be well gone by the time the Packers pick in the draft. Too bad he didn't come out last year as a Jr. in a rich WR draft class, he might have still been on the board in a round when the Packers would have pulled the trigger. As it turns out, smart move on Smiths part to stay, National Championship, Heisman and a huge rookie contract certain.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Baron Browning effectively rode the bench for 3.5 years. He made the most of his recent chances however.

I'm not saying take just any ol' guy necessarily. But with the limited film you do have, scouts should be able to have a decent bead on a guy's talent. If they test well, they should definitely be on your Big Board.

Here's a slight peak into my Armchair GM Analysis:

x Powerhouse School
x Limited Production
x Tests Well

x Best Player Available Selection

x Powerhouse School
x Big Production
x Tests Bad

x Best Player Available Based on Need Selection

x Powerhouse School
x Limited Production
x Tests Bad

x Avoid

x Small School
x Limited Production
x Tests Well

x Priority UDFA

x Small School
x Big Production
x Tests Bad

x Avoid

x Small School
x Big Production
x Tests Well

x Selection based on Need

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baron Browning effectively rode the bench for 3.5 years. He made the most of his recent chances however.

I'm not saying take just any ol' guy necessarily. But with the limited film you do have, scouts should be able to have a decent bead on a guy's talent. If they test well, they should definitely be on your Big Board.

x Powerhouse School
x Limited Production
x Tests Well

x Best Player Available Selection

x Powerhouse School
x Big Production
x Tests Bad

x Best Player Available Based on Need Selection

x Powerhouse School
x Limited Production
x Tests Bad

x Avoid

x Small School
x Limited Production
x Tests Well

x Priority UDFA

x Small School
x Big Production
x Tests Bad

x Avoid

x Small School
x Big Production
x Tests Well

x Selection based on Need

Here's the question though, what is the "tests well/bad" based on? What metrics or data points? Combine figure? RAS score?

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m hoping that Christian Barmore enters the draft and falls to 32. That would be a dream

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the question though, what is the "tests well/bad" based on? What metrics or data points? Combine figure? RAS score?

That's going to vary per team. For instance for Gute, he values RAS highly. But for every team they will have their own individual thresholds that they believe are required for a successful pick.

For instance:

Some teams may not want to draft a OL/DL prospect if they can't do at least 25 reps on the bench.

Or many teams will avoid WRs who run anything over a 4.47 in the 40.

For RBs, teams may want a minimum of a 32.0 vertical.

It really all depends on what that front office deems successful, I have my own, but it may not line up with what the Packers like.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry I misunderstood this before the breakdown then, you were speaking to what might be a GM's breakdown, not your own?

I was seeking what your test was if it was your breakdown out of sheer curiosity on my part.

Members online

Latest posts