On to 2021!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a 1 year contract for 5M is basically 5M guaranteed. They weren't paying 3.5 to ink him then cut him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a 1 year contract for 5M is basically 5M guaranteed. They weren't paying 3.5 to ink him then cut him.

Never said it was different, also never said 5M as I cannot find that figure anywhere for him. I was merely putting out there what both contracts were for per spotrac.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The future of MVS and Tonyan (even Lazard to a point) are all very similar, in that there is a real easy to picture scenario where both could play themselves into a rather "higher than GB wants to pay" type contract.

The Silver Lining, it really isn't costing the Packers much to see what all 3 players do in 2021. If any of them have excellent seasons, the Packers can try to keep them, if they can't, at least another team might give them a big contract and that is a plus in a high compensatory pick for 2023 column.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Silver Lining, it really isn't costing the Packers much to see what all 3 players do in 2021. If any of them have excellent seasons, the Packers can try to keep them, if they can't, at least another team might give them a big contract and that is a plus in a high compensatory pick for 2023 column.

Without question! Precisely where we are.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said it was different, also never said 5M as I cannot find that figure anywhere for him. I was merely putting out there what both contracts were for per spotrac.
I never looked it up, but I knew it was around 5 million for a 1 year contract with the Giants. They paid him 4.6 for a season. I consider a 1 year contract for almost 5 million to be fairly significant vs what Jamaal got that was roughly 2 years 6 million.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never looked it up, but I knew it was around 5 million for a 1 year contract with the Giants. They paid him 4.6 for a season. I consider a 1 year contract for almost 5 million to be fairly significant vs what Jamaal got that was roughly 2 years 6 million.

I wouldn't expect Jamaal's to garner more than a 7th...however there are a lot more cuts and signs this year that is messing with me being able to quickly feel how the actual FA (comp qualifying) signings are going.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
a lot more cuts and signs this year that is messing with me being able to quickly feel how the actual FA (comp qualifying) signings are going.

This reminded me that the FA + and -'s used towards calculating Compensatory picks in 2022 ceases on May 3rd (Monday after draft). That might be the date or after, that we see Gute make more FA moves. I still think there is a larger than normal supply of FA's out there and other teams may be waiting to do the same thing. This also gives the Packers the ability to see what they get in the draft, which will help to further define upcoming needs.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year nobody received a 7th round compensatory because the limit was already reached. Will that be the case next year? Seems more guys than usual are re-signing with their own teams. Or am I wrong.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Gute is going to move. True we only have a handful of drafts with him in charge, but dude never sits still at his pick it seems.

The more I think on it the more I truly could see Gute swing up and then back. I've been ignoring trades as so hard to predict but I could see the following logic played out:

#20 - Greg Newsome CB (we give up 29th, 142nd (4th) & 2022 6th rounder.
#74 - Nico Collins WR (we traded back our 62nd & 214th (6th) for 74th & 163rd from Washington)
#92 - D'Ante SMith OT
#135 - Tedarrell Slaton iDL
#163 - Sadarius Hutcherson iOL
#173 - Shakur Brown CB
#178 - Jaret Patterson RB
#220 - Jaelon Darden WR
#256 - Willie Eubanks LB

I'd be ecstatic with this logic used, yes given up 62 could cost quite the solid player but the depth of picks in the middle provided still SOLID selections most likely.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 quick thoughts.
1. Isn't pick 20 the Bears? I do not see a GB-CHI trade.
2. In his draft day trades has he ever involved a following year pick?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Love the idea, but I doubt anyone, not even the Bears take that trade. Even giving them our 3rd round (#92) instead of the 4th, it would be a "win" for the Packers, at least according to the Draft Value Trade Chart that I am looking at.

20th Pick: 850 pts
29th Pick: 640 pts

92nd Pick: 132
142nd Pick: 35

Packers do currently have 10 picks and with the salary cap issues, I can see Gute trading up more than I see him trading back and accumulating more picks. Unfortunately, all 10 Packer picks are pretty much at the end of each round. :(

D

Deleted member 6794

In his draft day trades has he ever involved a following year pick?

Yes, in 2018 Gutekunst traded back from the 14th overall pick and received a first rounder in the '19 draft which was used to select Savage (after another trade to move up that year).

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s going to be really hard to not come out of this draft with a good WR, CB, and OT.

Those positions are just stacked.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s going to be really hard to not come out of this draft with a good WR, CB, and OT.

Those positions are just stacked.

Concur. It would all come down to the definition one holds on the term "good". To me each of those positions one can walk away from this draft no matter how you draft those spots (so long as arguably within the first four rounds - you can find a starter...maybe not a CB1 of the future but a 2 for sure. Maybe not a WR1 but a starting WR2/3 type for sure. Both scenarios I say fit that "good" definition.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Gute is going to move. True we only have a handful of drafts with him in charge, but dude never sits still at his pick it seems.

The more I think on it the more I truly could see Gute swing up and then back. I've been ignoring trades as so hard to predict but I could see the following logic played out:

If at 21 Newsome, Samuel Jr. , Farley, or Tyson Campbell are on the board I don't move up. I think Campbell might be as good as all of them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If at 21 Newsome, Samuel Jr. , Farley, or Tyson Campbell are on the board I don't move up. I think Campbell might be as good as all of them.

Different guys for me personally as I only have two of those guys rated Round 1 grading now, I never pulled Samuel off my official round 1 grading, but his RAS tugged me to realize I don't think he is Gute's style - at least not for first round. Now if we stay put and say it is injury flags Farley or him....I am not opposed to the thought and would get it.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna be hard to trade up since Gute’s favorite partner doesn’t have a 1st. Idiots.

Latest posts