On to 2021!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top draft needs for this team:
1) Corner - Jaire is AMAZING...after that the cupboard is empty, team might be forced to start Chandon Sullivan at corner with, as of now, Redmond being the nickel corner? That's, uh, frankly terrible.
2) Dline - Packers have one elite pass rusher in Z, an up-and-coming pass rusher in Gary, and Clark is an elite NT which means he pushes the pocket but I wouldn't call him an elite pass rusher. As we all saw against the Bucs, there was very little interior pass rush and that needs to change. Not saying the team needs an Aaron Donald (though it would be nice), just a DE that can put pressure inside while Smith and Gary rush from the ends (yes, I know Z also rushes from the interior but it's on stunts pretty often and that's generally not as reliable).
3) LB - a decent ILB that can cover would be nice but the ILB position is not the same level of impact on a defense that corner or dline is.
4) WR - MVS and Lazard have lessened this a bit but I do think it's still a need; an elite offense can always stress a defense with more receivers (imagine how nice it might have been to force either of the Bucs ILBs to cover Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman last weekend).

What really ****** me off is that we didn't address a single one of these positions until the 5th Round. I get it, this roster was good enough to make it back to the NFCCG. But that was all it was good enough to do apparently. I hate going down the "what if" route, but a Day 1 or Day 2 pick at any of these positions and....what if?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joshuah Bledsoe, DB - Mizzou

He'll be in my next mock.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can stay healthy, I think Brevin Jordan can be better than Kyle Pitts.

He might be, projecting TEs in the NFL is always a guessing game, but I seriously doubt it. Pitts' physical profile and college production are just amazing. If both stay healthy and hit their upside, Jordan could become an above average TE while I think Pitts could become one of the scariest receivers in the entire league. Again though, projecting tight ends is a fun but rarely accurate exercise. Also,a whole lot is going to depend on who the quarterbacks are for any TE.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joshuah Bledsoe, DB - Mizzou

He'll be in my next mock.

Bledsoe is that guy that can come in and play slot, box or all over safety role. I really like him, I just am very unsure where I rank him. He's not good enough for 2nd round...and I could easily argue 3rd and than 5th.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting to really warm up to the idea of Payton Turner in the 2nd round. 6'"6 and played one season at 300lbs and last year at 270lbs when he moved to DE and was a pretty good pass rusher. Seems like the kind of guy that could really help the Packers on the dline; could play DE on early downs and move inside to passing downs.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t watched or read up on many running backs, but hard to see any being better than Javonte Williams. He has it all. He

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t watched or read up on many running backs, but hard to see any being better than Javonte Williams. He has it all. He

So there are some awesome backs this year that would be insanely good compliments to our system, Aaron and especially paired with Dillon (let's assume he is only main one back).

Let's cross Etienne and Harris out of the picture as I believe Harris won't be available for us and I personally think Etienne is a little over hyped and a decent chance he is also gone by our pick.

My favorite RBs are:

Javonte Williams - As you said "has it all" type back, who arguably is the most ready of the top tier backs in a crucial aspect in the NFL: pass protection. He has hands and while his frame is more than capable to fight for yards, he is more surgical than sledgehammer approach. He sees a single LB on the edge he will get past with a great wiggle whereas Dillon will get past him with a cut and/or BUSTING him in the face.

Michael Carter - The counterpart to Williams above, literally could be the very next back off the board and rightfully so. Smaller frame, more of a change of pace and purely elusive back he has more wiggle than Williams but IMO will never be a primary back traditionally as his frame just won't allow it. It is that attribute that has some pundits saying he teams up with Dillon arguably better than Williams does due to him being even more of a change of pace and not a true #1 type guy. If Williams is gone and Packer nation hears Carter's name called, while different entirely there is still plenty to smile about this kid's weapons.

Kenneth Gainwell - Versatile, multi-tooled RB that instantly will contribute and would compliment Dillon similar to Williams albeit just a hair below IMO than him currently. Kid is a weapon for sure.

Kylin Hill and Khalil Herbert are two next tier RBs everyone should familiarize themselves with as well. Herbert's lower half I swear at times moves into the blurred category in his first 8 to 10 steps of explosion...his top long speed isn't as high as some would imagine but he makes defenders take bad angler purely with that first 5 to 10 yard burst he can do. Kylin is an awesomely built RB fully capable of more damage than Herbert but his speed puts him in a special category...cat didn't play 2020 due to covid but that 2019 season he ran for 5.6 YPC and over 1,300 yards while showing he can catch and protect better than most.

My board I'm 100% good with any of these guys being called at any point by us Day 1 or 2....yes, I understand Day 1 is arguably too early for any of them outside of maybe Javonte to most, but like Gute did with Dillon he is not afraid to like a guy and make certain they are coming to Wisconsin rather than sit back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts trade for Carson changes potential fall out of QBs in the first round. I foresee them as a trade back option knowing they're losing at least a 2nd and a 3rd in 2022 for him....I don't want us to scalp 2022 as well, BUT with the incoming Compensatory picks of Jones, Linsley, King and maybe Williams I foresee minimum a 3rd coming back, maybe two if Linsley and Jones both sign big. along with maybe a 5th or a 6th or two 6ths for the others.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Colts trade for Carson changes potential fall out of QBs in the first round. I foresee them as a trade back option knowing they're losing at least a 2nd and a 3rd in 2022 for him....I don't want us to scalp 2022 as well, BUT with the incoming Compensatory picks of Jones, Linsley, King and maybe Williams I foresee minimum a 3rd coming back, maybe two if Linsley and Jones both sign big. along with maybe a 5th or a 6th or two 6ths for the others.
IIRC teams max out at 3 compensatory picks, no matter who or how many players they don't resign.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC teams max out at 3 compensatory picks, no matter who or how many players they don't resign.

True and see how my wording insinuated in maybe 4.

I predict we will probably pull a 3,4,5 or 3,3,5 picks back. Imagine if Gute knew for certain, because if I had two 3rds in 2022, I'm moving one or two of those puppies to make moves in this draft.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashod Bateman screams Gutekunst WR to me.

I would assume he’d be available at 29, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashod Bateman screams Gutekunst WR to me.

I would assume he’d be available at 29, and I wouldn’t hesitate to take him.

I dont make the assumption he will be there at 29, BUT if he is there are very few guys at any position I'd pick over him at 29...if AVT drops it'd be tough for and Zaven but Bateman is my Pittman of this years draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tommy Tremble is one of the handful of guys Packers have interviewed virtually....an excellent F type TE it is both shocking and concerning to hear we are dabbling with a TE many say won't last beyond the 3rd round and is the 3rd or 4th best in the draft at the position.

I see this as a sign of concern towards Josiah's injury issues...as he and Dafney would be the most likely replaced by Tremble and Stern to a lessor degree but possible.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tommy Tremble is one of the handful of guys Packers have interviewed virtually....an excellent F type TE it is both shocking and concerning to hear we are dabbling with a TE many say won't last beyond the 3rd round and is the 3rd or 4th best in the draft at the position.

I see this as a sign of concern towards Josiah's injury issues...as he and Dafney would be the most likely replaced by Tremble and Stern to a lessor degree but possible.

Interviewed Brevin Jordan too.

I’d take it more as concern that Lewis is really old and Sternberger hasn’t been good and they might not want to pay Tonyan lots of money.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interviewed Brevin Jordan too.

I’d take it more as concern that Lewis is really old and Sternberger hasn’t been good and they might not want to pay Tonyan lots of money.
Lewis is already 2 seasons past what I thought he'd play. One day I'll be right :)

Sternberger, though he seemed to get past those bad early drops with a few catches, but he was MIA for a lot of the season.

and I've always liked Tonyan, but I don't think he's someone you pay big dollars to. He can definitely do what we need him to do, and there is value in that, but big dollars require you be outstanding in some aspect and I'm not sure he is.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Jordan or Tremble fit the replacement for Lewis - if Lewis doesn't come back and we replace his "body" with one of them we will see slight scheme adjustments to our running calls I believe. Unless Tonyan makes a massive leap in block responsibilities or Jordan/Tremble surprise some folks....

I will admit Tremble is a much better blocker between the two prospects and being an Irish fan myself I've watched nearly all his games - very willing blocker that for years I kept thinking was going to just explode offensively and never really did to a large degree.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Jordan or Tremble fit the replacement for Lewis - if Lewis doesn't come back and we replace his "body" with one of them we will see slight scheme adjustments to our running calls I believe. Unless Tonyan makes a massive leap in block responsibilities or Jordan/Tremble surprise some folks....

I will admit Tremble is a much better blocker between the two prospects and being an Irish fan myself I've watched nearly all his games - very willing blocker that for years I kept thinking was going to just explode offensively and never really did to a large degree.

Lewis is a very unique player that you’re probably not going to find a direct replacement for.

The scheme can fit different types. They wouldn’t be able to isolate a TE on a DE as much as they did, but there are other things they could take advantage of as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brevin Jordan, TE Miami is also confirming that the Packers are one of five teams he has "consistently heard from" and have interviewed with. Source: https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/202...-interview-university-of-miami-brevin-jordan/

It appears First round talent interviewed is HEAVY at CB (Samuel and Newsome both confirmed) and borderline 1st Rondale Moore also...but TE is one it appears Gute has his eye on for a 2nd or 3rd rounder because Tremble and Jordan both aren't making it past Day 2.

Members online

Latest posts