Ok I'll say it again, That was the dumbest call ever......

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First and goal and call a pass play, why when on that drive you were running the ball with ease do you call a pass play on 1st and goal. To me that was the game in a nut shell if the packer's score it's 17 - 17 and the packer's would of had a chance to win it at the end.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It happens when you're trying to get your HOF QB a record. Gutless!!

I've lost a lot of respect for MM. Go back and you'll see the same thing in other games as well - throwing for TD's in safer run situations.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been a great call had it worked, but the results mean that it was a bad call??

We were dominating in the run game and therefore they were expecting us to run on first and goal. MM called a "safe" inside slant to DD, which had been open all day. The CB made a great play and the rest is history. They got lucky. It could have just as easily ended up with a LB making a great play by forcing a fumble on a run instead.

Terrible loss, no question about it. Mistakes and turnovers led to all of their points. We were good enough to over come most of the mistakes and turnovers, but in the end there was one too many. Pick it up, learn from the mistakes and win next week!

GO PACK GO!!!

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is easy to judge it from a distance because it didn't work, but I too thought the same thing, why pass when the run is working great? Bobby makes a good point above. The D was stacked against the run.

I know we lost, but we played well. I wasn't dissapointed in the Pack this weekend. The played great except for one pass play and the last drive. the offense struggled early, but then got it going. I like to see that.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From day one all we heard from MM is how The Pack had to establish the run to become a winning team.

Then at the most critical point in a game where the offense had struggled early, then did just that(established the run), a pass play was called.

There is just no justification for the call, for those of you who will say"yea but we did it earlier in the game" well earlier the run was not working!!!
The offense did just what it has been asked to do since day one, then a stupid a-- call like that hands the game to Buffalo.

We could be 4-4 and right in the thick of the wild card race, now we are like every other 3-5 team, wondering if what we are doing is ever going to work. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

On to Minnesota, where all of a sudden it looks like this could be a winnable game. Let's hope the coaches don't blow this one too.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought to that they should have ran the ball in for a touchdown, it was first and goal so no desperate measures yet...even Favre could have run it in..bad play calling IMO...

I think we have a chance to beat the Vikes, only if we play a clean game to many mistakes in this one...and thats why we lost..

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
It would have been a great call had it worked, but the results mean that it was a bad call??

We were dominating in the run game and therefore they were expecting us to run on first and goal. MM called a "safe" inside slant to DD, which had been open all day. The CB made a great play and the rest is history. They got lucky. It could have just as easily ended up with a LB making a great play by forcing a fumble on a run instead.

Terrible loss, no question about it. Mistakes and turnovers led to all of their points. We were good enough to over come most of the mistakes and turnovers, but in the end there was one too many. Pick it up, learn from the mistakes and win next week!

GO PACK GO!!!

Many plays would be great if they worked, and when they don't work they are bonehead plays to call.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's harder to run at the goal line than it is at the 50, the 20 or even the 10 so I'm not sure that throwing was necessarily a horrible call. The problem was that they'd run that play like 5 times already, almost always on first down. It was no real surprise that Buffalo managed to guess what play was coming. MM went to the well once too often and kind of outsmarted himself on that one.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've lost a lot of respect for MM. Go back and you'll see the same thing in other games as well - throwing for TD's in safer run situations.

:rubeyes: wow...just wow!! i'm sure MM's ONLY goal this season is to get favre as many records as he can - yeah, sure!!

shiny side out on the foil, buddy. :noflame:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Remember the Philly game when we tried running it 4 times from the one?[/quote

No comparison.. That game was over. We had established nothing, at Philly.
Yesterday was a chance to give the O-line a big shot of confidence!!
The Pack had just moved right down the field.
Absolutely the worst call yet this year!!!!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Remember the Philly game when we tried running it 4 times from the one?[/quote

No comparison.. That game was over. We had established nothing, at Philly.
Yesterday was a chance to give the O-line a big shot of confidence!!
The Pack had just moved right down the field.
Absolutely the worst call yet this year!!!!

Perhaps, but we haven't been good at running in short yardage situations this year. I didn't like the play that was called, but I think a pass might have worked in that situation.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

GO PACK GO!!!

I agree Bobby. It is frustrating to see games we should win slip away but as team we are progressing. It's not over. The Bears have a tough schedule. Three consecutive road games followed by the Vikes at home who should have beaten them the last time.

We definately need to beat the Vikes this week. Let's build on the fact that other than the turnovers this team is rolling on both sides of the ball. It's not like were in a funk and can't move the ball or stop the other team.

We just need to quit stopping ourselves.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

where are the threads complaining that it was a bonehead call on the 1st slant td?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is just no justification for the call, for those of you who will say"yea but we did it earlier in the game" well earlier the run was not working!!!
The offense did just what it has been asked to do since day one, then a stupid a-- call like that hands the game to Buffalo.

full play by play

1st time Packers had the ball in the 3rd q
Green Bay Packers at 14:54
1-10-GB21 (14:54) A.Green right guard to GB 41 for 20 yards (N.Clements).
1-10-GB41 (14:24) A.Green up the middle to GB 45 for 4 yards (C.Kelsay).

2nd time Packers had the ball in the 3rd
Green Bay Packers at 09:18

1-10-GB35 (9:18) B.Favre pass deep middle to D.Driver to BUF 42 for 23 yards (N.Clements). Caught at BUF 46.
1-10-BUF42 (8:42) A.Green left guard to BUF 38 for 4 yards (R.Denney, T.Spikes).
2-6-BUF38 (8:04) A.Green right tackle to BUF 34 for 4 yards (T.Anderson).
3-2-BUF34 (7:28) N.Herron left tackle to BUF 30 for 4 yards (T.Spikes).
1-10-BUF30 (6:46) B.Favre pass short middle to W.Henderson to BUF 19 for 11 yards (T.Spikes, L.Fletcher-Baker). Caught at BUF 25.
1-10-BUF19 (6:10) A.Green left guard to BUF 16 for 3 yards (D.Whitner).
2-7-BUF16 (5:35) B.Favre pass short left to D.Driver to BUF 6 for 10 yards (N.Clements). Caught in flat at BUF 8.
1-6-BUF6 (5:01) B.Favre pass incomplete short middle to W.Henderson (T.Spikes). Pass bobbled by T.Spikes, in coverage at BUF 6. Pressure on QBL: C.Kelsay.
2-6-BUF6 (4:49) A.Green left end to BUF 1 for 5 yards (K.Simpson).
3-1-BUF1 (4:22) B.Favre pass short left to D.Driver for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 1 yd. into end zone.
D.Rayner extra point is GOOD, Center-R.Davis, Holder-J.Ryan.

20 yarder, many 4 yards and a 5 yard run BEFORE the slant td to DD..

7 runs for 44 yards 6.2 yards per carry..

Is it just me or is that establishing the run??

Or do you consider establishing the run some other way?

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a bummer. Losses like this seem to send everyone back into their 'camps' so to speak, those who like MM, those who don't, those who are critical of Harris (and yeah he screwed up big)..those who are critical of Favre (he made his mistakes yesterday, too).

Fact is this loss was a team effort. Defense played brilliantly in the second half with the exception of a terrible lapse, which resulted in a touchdown, really shocking at the time because they had been locking down Losman and the Bills so well. Packers offense was hitting on all cylinders in that last drive until the unthinkable happened.

I think it was a bad call for the slant. Given the results actually I think it was pretty terrible. Sure, if it works, we're celebrating - but play the percentages, it's that simple. We were ramming it down their throats on the ground. Their defense was tired, and more or less back on their heels. That's the time to run it up the gut.

With that said, I like McCarthy and I think he's a good coach. He took a chance and missed. No matter what he or anyone else says, I'm sure he wants that call back (I would hope so or I would really question him then). I think everyone made their mistakes yesterday. Even so, we still almost won; it just sucks that each of those mistakes were incredibly crucial and most of them resulted in points on the scoreboard - in the wrong column of course. jmho.

Ouch. This one is still hard to swallow.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFaninBucLand said:

where are the threads complaining that it was a bonehead call on the 1st slant td?

It worked but that's the point. It's a crapshoot. Way too many things can go wrong on first and goal from the one when you pass. Holding...tipped ball etc. DB's gamble...they got nothing to lose. It was a bad play call. I'm not going to kill the guy for this but it was a bad call. If you wanna pass go play action and roll Brett out so it's a safe pass or he can throw it away. Not a quick slant where there is no option! When the play ends up disasterous, you are gonna get heat.

You guys defending him are the same guys that would be egging Mike Sherman's house had he made that call.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It worked but that's the point. It's a crapshoot. Way too many things can go wrong on first and goal from the one when you pass. Holding...tipped ball etc. DB's gamble...they got nothing to lose. It was a bad play call. I'm not going to kill the guy for this but it was a bad call. If you wanna pass go play action and roll Brett out so it's a safe pass or he can throw it away. Not a quick slant where there is no option! When the play ends up disasterous, you are gonna get heat.

You guys defending him are the same guys that would be egging Mike Sherman's house had he made that call.

I agree with this. Take your lumps when it doesn't work. In fact, not only did it not work, it resulted in a 14-point swing, depending on how you look at it. Coaches have to take the heat - that's part of the game, like it or not.
Hopefully they bounce back next week and MM and the rest of the Pack will be receiving congratulations rather than criticism. We shall see.

I have to add, I think people need to put Mike Sherman behind them. There's really no reason or benefit to keep looking over the shoulder and comparing to a coach who is no longer here. The same point holds true - you're the coach, you have to take your lumps. The Packers decided 4-12 was a threshold they should not have fallen to, and ultimately the coach was saddled with the responsibility. That's football. Will McCarthy be held to the same standard? I'm not sure.. I'd like to see bette than a 4-12 record, and I think we will. I can't help but still think the Packers are a good team with a good scheme on both sides of the ball. It's weird, bizarre and hard to watch such critical mistakes completely turning the scoreboard upside down. Here's hoping for a recovery.

just a thought for the day or something.. :)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Ray Rhoades was here the threshold was 8-8.

I don't think there really is a set record. Rhoades apparently had "lost the team". Last season's record had more to do with injuries than anything else.

This season should be judged on whether or not we made significant improvement from last year. Not necessarily the record.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What a bummer. Losses like this seem to send everyone back into their 'camps' so to speak, those who like MM, those who don't, those who are critical of Harris (and yeah he screwed up big)..those who are critical of Favre (he made his mistakes yesterday, too).

Fact is this loss was a team effort. Defense played brilliantly in the second half with the exception of a terrible lapse, which resulted in a touchdown, really shocking at the time because they had been locking down Losman and the Bills so well. Packers offense was hitting on all cylinders in that last drive until the unthinkable happened.

I think it was a bad call for the slant. Given the results actually I think it was pretty terrible. Sure, if it works, we're celebrating - but play the percentages, it's that simple. We were ramming it down their throats on the ground. Their defense was tired, and more or less back on their heels. That's the time to run it up the gut.

With that said, I like McCarthy and I think he's a good coach. He took a chance and missed. No matter what he or anyone else says, I'm sure he wants that call back (I would hope so or I would really question him then). I think everyone made their mistakes yesterday. Even so, we still almost won; it just sucks that each of those mistakes were incredibly crucial and most of them resulted in points on the scoreboard - in the wrong column of course. jmho.

Ouch. This one is still hard to swallow.

Nice post Scott

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always wondered if Ray Rhodes got a raw deal. I was rooting hard for the Packers back then but was not really keyed in to all of the "insider" stuff, so I can't really say I have an opinion either way. I'll just say it seems difficult to give a new coach just one year. I know the argument was that he had the weapons and should have won with them, but he also had a hero-legend-mvp quarterback more or less running the show and was probably not quite ready to assert his entire will over Favre and the offense. I'm not blaming Favre for that, it was just a strange dynamic I guess.

In that vein, I'm pretty critical of the move to get rid of Donatel after the infamous play. Oh well, I guess that's neither here nor there (and rather off topic to boot).

P.S> Thanks Longtime Fan!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you have two options at the goal line . pass or run. just like everytime you go to the damn line of scrimmage.

MM went with the pass in this situation. and the defense executed when we didnt. Just like someone said above. would it have been the wrong call had ahman green or noah herron, (both chronic fumblers) fumbled on the one yard line. No its just another play call in a sticky situation that went wrong. Hes boring if he runs, stupid if he passes.

Members online

Latest posts