Ok I'll say it again, That was the dumbest call ever......

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather be boring than stupid!

LOL yeah that's the first thing that came to my mind.. hehe

Either way, I think it's a percentage game at that point. Sure, Green could fumble. Or heck, there could be another botched snap, or really anything can happen. But I think putting it in the air greatly increases this risk.

The sad thing is, perhaps 9 times out of 10, that ball bounces harmlessly off the ground and they try again. But that's not what happened. You take the risk, you fail - you take the heat. If they ran it and and something went wrong, at least you can't criticize the play call.

Tough loss. I guess I'll try to get some work done now and not think about it for awhile.. :kickcan:

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't have a problem with the call. That quick slant is a trademark call for the packers on thrid and short. They use it all over the field and scored a touchdown on it earlier in the game.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out as the coach and team thought it would. Had green fumbled, everyone would have screamed about giving it to him since he fumbles a lot.

Regardless of any call, someone is always unhappy and complaining about it.

All those who said it was a stupid call...did you hop up and yell at the TV for the stupid call that resulted in our first touchdown? If you didn't, then you can't complain about the second one. The result shouldn't have an effect on whether or not it was stupid.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
It would have been a great call had it worked, but the results mean that it was a bad call??

Yes. It was a horrendous call regardless of whether it worked or not, and whoever made it should be on the unemployment line as they apparently know nothing about the game of football. Green would have had two chances to get ONE YARD. He was averaging 3.5 per carry when they were ready for him (though his longer runs later in the game probably boosted his overall average somewhat). Regardless, if he was unable to overrun Buffalo's pathetic defense, they could have went for the pass on third down (much like your average HS coach would).

This was hands-down the worst performance the Pack has displayed since the beginning of the season. While up until this week I thought they had shown improvement, however this game was a giant two steps back. Aside from the ****-poor play calling when we needed it the most, there was the snap to Favre's helmet just before halftime that resulted in no points before halftime, a turnover at our own end that resulted in a TD for Buffalo, and a defense that couldn't cover a 6 year old.

I was at the game, and the Buffalo fans were absolutely stunned they had won. Personally, I can't believe I actually paid to watch that abysmal display. Even at halftime, I thought we still had it. Buffalo was unable to get anything going on offense, I figured MM would ream out the Packers enough to get them to stop making stupid mistakes. Unfortunately, it seems MM was part of the problem.

I am really not interested in the Green 'n' Gold crowd trying to find something positive out of this mess. The only positive I can see, is that the game is over, and I won't have to witness another stupid playcall, turnover or missed assignment THIS week.

BTW: I see Ahman Green was voted FedEx Ground Player of the Week on November 2nd. Whoever made the call to pass on the first and 10 at the 1 play (whether it be MM, the OC, DC or the frigging waterboy) should read that over and over until it finally starts making sense to them. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
the fed ex player of the week is more so fans voting over and over again for their favorite player..from what I understand no players or coaches vote for that..

i said it b4 and will say it again

it was a bad call cuz it didnt work, but it was a good call when it went for a TD earlier

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was a bad call cuz it didnt work, but it was a good call when it went for a TD earlier

So in your logic, going for a hail mary is good playcalling as long as you get the TD every time? :roll:

It was a bad call in both situations, and is one of the resons why I question MM's playcalling.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't have a problem with the call. That quick slant is a trademark call for the packers on thrid and short. They use it all over the field and scored a touchdown on it earlier in the game.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out as the coach and team thought it would. Had green fumbled, everyone would have screamed about giving it to him since he fumbles a lot.

Regardless of any call, someone is always unhappy and complaining about it.

All those who said it was a stupid call...did you hop up and yell at the TV for the stupid call that resulted in our first touchdown? If you didn't, then you can't complain about the second one. The result shouldn't have an effect on whether or not it was stupid.

It wasn't third and short. It was first and goal from the one!

I have made it clear that I don't want to throw MM under the bus for this bad call but damn some of you guys in his corner wouldn't criticize him if he gave up a 4th and 26!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
It would have been a great call had it worked, but the results mean that it was a bad call??

Yes. It was a horrendous call regardless of whether it worked or not, and whoever made it should be on the unemployment line as they apparently know nothing about the game of football. Green would have had two chances to get ONE YARD. He was averaging 3.5 per carry when they were ready for him (though his longer runs later in the game probably boosted his overall average somewhat).

The quality of play calling is not about the plays but the players executing those plays! The players had been executing that particular play down the Bills throat all day.

Prior to that, we were running the ball down their throat. So the defense lined up with 9 guys on the LOS. No one expected a pass on first and goal from the 1. This is exactly what is know as doing the unexpected to catch the defense off-guard for an easy score.

Regardless, if he was unable to overrun Buffalo's pathetic defense, they could have went for the pass on third down (much like your average HS coach would).

So if we don't make it with Green, then just try the next obvious play. Boy, the defense won't be ready for that!

If all you are looking for is no creativity and the obvious play calls, then go ahead and watch all the HS games you like! It's obvious that won't get it done in the NFL though.

GO PACK GO!!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon Bobby...you know better than that. A Quick slant? If you want to "catch them offguard" how about a play action fake and roll out. It is a much safer play and if you don't fool them you can throw the ball away. Obviously we didn't fool them. No opportunity to throw the ball away when a quick slant is called.

C'mon people.....you can say it. It was a bad call. Overall I think MM called a good game and has done a good job but if you can't admit that was a bad call then it's just a matter of digging your feet in for arguments sake.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
C'mon Bobby...you know better than that. A Quick slant? If you want to "catch them offguard" how about a play action fake and roll out. It is a much safer play and if you don't fool them you can throw the ball away. Obviously we didn't fool them. No opportunity to throw the ball away when a quick slant is called.

C'mon people.....you can say it. It was a bad call. Overall I think MM called a good game and has done a good job but if you can't admit that was a bad call then it's just a matter of digging your feet in for arguments sake.

I will agree with the play action pass option that to me makes sense..

but this play scored a td earlier and was working..

I say it was a bad play cuz it didnt work..

I was not in the huddle I was not in the flow of the game as the coachs and players were..

Tell me if it was so obvious why didnt Brett check off to a different play??

Maybe cuz he liked the call and thought it would work

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

I will agree with the play action pass option that to me makes sense..

but this play scored a td earlier and was working..

I say it was a bad play cuz it didnt work..

I was not in the huddle I was not in the flow of the game as the coachs and players were..

Tell me if it was so obvious why didnt Brett check off to a different play??

Maybe cuz he liked the call and thought it would work

Again....I don't wanna rip MM, I like him and you're right if it worked again we wouldn't be talking about it, but it working the first time is even MORE reason in my mind NOT to try it again. The defense has already seen it. Oh well...it's viking week. I'd rather get that bad game outta the way and come out with a chip on our shoulder against the queenies.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with ripping MM or his play calling. But I do strongly believe we lost yesterday because our players failed to execute in critical situations! We had a perfect chance to score at the end of the 1st half and a messed up snap lost that opportunity. Our defense held strong most of the game, but failed to execute on a few plays.

I thought that Sherman was good at play calling, but people continuely ripped him when the players didn't execute well or created stupid turnovers. In this case, I do think that MM did a solid job with play calling. The players executed well for 90% of the game. But when it mattered, they failed to get it done.

It's a tough lesson for a young team to get, but it could be an important one. That is, the better team does not always win. Now the key is to walk away and not repeat such ugly mistakes. That's how we become a better team.

GO PACK GO!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im starting to agree with the general consensus. Putting the ball in Favres hands was stupid.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im starting to agree with the general consensus. Putting the ball in Favres hands was stupid.

I never questioned that one bit. We all know that you feel it is Favre vs. MM/TT. I have said that MM called a good game but that was a bad call. The Packers probably had 70 offensive plays so one bad call doesn't make a bad coach (unless your name is Mike Sherman, of course). Don't be so defensive. He's a big boy. He can take care of himself!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont feel its anyone vs anyone. Its GB vs. the other team. But yeah, go ahead and tell people how i feel.

I just dont understand peoples flipfloppyness(thats a word) on this. When it works, its great, when it doesnt, its horrible.

I expect that kind of thinking from Bears fans, but not GB fans, who are supposed to know what is what.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Ok I'll say it again, That was the dumbest call ever....

That play was just the "frosting on the icing" (yes....i said that on perpose!) They outplayed the Bills the whole game, and just blew it too many times when the game could have been taken over. They SHOULD have won this 28-10 easily.
The 1st and goal.......well, i WISH they would have called a QB sneak or something other then the pass. It just bounced up into the defenders hands. It was just one of those days that no matter how good the Pack were playing, they found a way to shoot themselves in the foot almost every time. They were the better team.......no doubt. They didn't get beat........they self destructed.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont feel its anyone vs anyone. Its GB vs. the other team. But yeah, go ahead and tell people how i feel.

I just dont understand peoples flipfloppyness(thats a word) on this. When it works, its great, when it doesnt, its horrible.

I expect that kind of thinking from Bears fans, but not GB fans, who are supposed to know what is what.

Who's flopping? I think he called a good game except when it was first and goal from the one. If you are happy it worked one out of two times, God Bless. I'd rather expect to score TD's 99 out of 100 times when you have first and goal from the one.....but hey that's just me!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's flopping? All the people who said not one word when that play worked twice within 2 weeks.

It's definitely a questionable call (i wont say stupid, idiotic, retarded, like others have. Why not? cuz its worked twice.)

I also think the fact that Ahman\Herron were the RBs in question, that mighta been a factor in the decision making process. It wouldn't be the first time a tired Ahman fumbled on the goal line(remember that one vs. the bears? still kills me!)

For the most part I agree we should have run the ball, but I definitely see where the coaches were going. Fletcher himself said everyone was expecting run, but what happened? A pass, that woulda been a TD except a good tip.

I think when we draft or pickup a solid RB (is morency the guy? maybe, who knows. hes hurt now though) that is likely a run.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Ok I'll say it again, That was the dumbest call ever....

That play was just the "frosting on the icing" (yes....i said that on perpose!) They outplayed the Bills the whole game, and just blew it too many times when the game could have been taken over. They SHOULD have won this 28-10 easily.
The 1st and goal.......well, i WISH they would have called a QB sneak or something other then the pass. It just bounced up into the defenders hands. It was just one of those days that no matter how good the Pack were playing, they found a way to shoot themselves in the foot almost every time. They were the better team.......no doubt. They didn't get beat........they self destructed.

absolutely agree, cheeseman! 'self destructed' is the perfect phrase for what this team did yesterday...dammit anyway!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be one thing if we had been outplayed and looked bad offensively and defensively but that simply wasn't the case. How can you rip MM for one bad call out of a playbook and game plan that worked magnificantly well other than those plays not executed by the players?

Other than three or four plays that the players themselves screwed up and one where the defensive player came up big the game plan was fantastic.

On the one play in question the Bills players themselves(Fletcher) said afterwards they ALL thought it was going to be a run. If that's the case than how can calling a pass be a stupid call?

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, i say we officially vote in warhawk as pf.com's voice of reason.

but only if he takes me for a nice dinner at king neptune's!! ;)
gosh i miss gulf shores.

dmelby

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman Green was a big contributing factor in getting us to the 1 yard line. What a slap in his face not to let him put it in!!

Members online

Latest posts