Ok I'll say it again, That was the dumbest call ever......

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
I have no problem with ripping MM or his play calling. But I do strongly believe we lost yesterday because our players failed to execute in critical situations! We had a perfect chance to score at the end of the 1st half and a messed up snap lost that opportunity. Our defense held strong most of the game, but failed to execute on a few plays.

We lost because we turned the ball over too many times, and consistantly made bad mistakes on the plays that mattered the most. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call yesterday's game great, close or even enjoyable to watch... Unless you are a Bills fan.

Bobby Roberts said:
So if we don't make it with Green, then just try the next obvious play. Boy, the defense won't be ready for that!

If all you are looking for is no creativity and the obvious play calls, then go ahead and watch all the HS games you like! It's obvious that won't get it done in the NFL though.

My mistake. Obviously the quick slant worked so well. :roll:

Who's flopping? All the people who said not one word when that play worked twice within 2 weeks.

So, in other words if I don't critique every single play that I feel MM called badly, I don't deserve to have an opinion, because I am "flopping" on an opinion I never had in the first place?

You can add all the spin you want, but the bottom line is that call cost us the game. End of story.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Ok I'll say it again, That was the dumbest call ever....

tromadz said:
Who's flopping? All the people who said not one word when that play worked twice within 2 weeks.

So, in other words if I don't critique every single play that I feel MM called badly, I don't deserve to have an opinion, because I am "flopping" on an opinion I never had in the first place?

You can add all the spin you want, but the bottom line is that call cost us the game. End of story.

Yeah the other interception and fumbles, and Al Harris blowing a coverage allowing a TD were nothing.

The play where MM called a pass instead of a run(a play thats worked twice in 2 weeks for scores) is what "cost us the game. End of story."

Right. :thumbsup:

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah the other interception and fumbles, and Al Harris blowing a coverage allowing a TD were nothing.

The play where MM called a pass instead of a run(a play thats worked twice in 2 weeks for scores) is what "cost us the game. End of story."

Right. :thumbsup:

I will once again state what I have stated before several times. Please pay attention:

4 turnovers and abysmal play on both sides of the ball when we needed it the most resulted in a loss.

However, after the 1st and 1, we had NO CHANCE to tie it up and come out with the win, which on paper, WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

We could have gave the ball to Green, ran a QB sneak, or (if you feel it so necessary to pass) ran a play action to tie the game up.

However it appears you think MM is a genius for calling a quick slant that resulted in an interception and ended all hope for a win. Brilliant. :roll:

Personally, I am sick with discussing this. It is obvious that no matter what MM does, or what mistakes he makes, you will come up with some excuse as to why it was brilliant. :thumbsup:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

joshm4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wat if it wouldve worked and we went on to win the game
we would all be applauding that great call and wed be happy
wats gonna happen now is were gonna be in another position like this and were gonna try and run it each 3 down and not convert and well kick a fg and it will cost us the game and were gonna think y didnt we pass we shouldve passed and all that bs
just think before you start running ur mouths
u win some u lose some it was a chance thing and we lost get over it and look forward to next week

Reaction score
Alright, ahem let's just remember this is football and nothing personal. :)

Anubis, I can definitely see where you are coming from, because I was at that exact position yesterday. Then I read a stat where like 7 or 8 of Brett's TDs this year have been passes of 10 yards or less.

I think MM should have played it differently, but going on past performances, he had every right to think it was a good call because it had statistical support. I do believe that McCarthy will learn from this blunder, and he will be more aware of his options next time.

Personally, judging for MM's response to the play call, I got the feeling it was over and he wasn't going to spend time lamenting that decision. I feel that is the right move, because what happened is done with, move on and learn from the past. Just don't let it happen in the future, and I think MM will be a better coach because of this.

dmelby

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cute little pass play hadn't been used before in a game, just practice.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bad call......end of story.

Even if it worked........bad call.

A 1st down run even if it ended in a fumble was the right call.

Under the circumstances of how we were running the ball and being 1st down it was a bad call.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, i say we officially vote in warhawk as pf.com's voice of reason.

but only if he takes me for a nice dinner at king neptune's!! ;)
gosh i miss gulf shores.

King Neptune's it is. I will say though there are a few other restaurants that have opened up that are really good.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost because we turned the ball over too many times, and consistantly made bad mistakes on the plays that mattered the most.

:jumpsmile: That's exactly the key point that everyone's been saying all along! The players didn't execute when it mattered the most!!! Keep blaming the whole game on one call all you want, but GB lost because the players didn't execute -- end of story.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will admit, I was pissed and still am by the call.

However, I do not spend 60 hours a week gameplanning and studying tendancies of our opponent in certain situations, downs and distance, etc. I think is is easy to monday morning quarterback, when a call does not work - we all fall into that trap.

I am going to assume that the coach knows a little more about scheming and playcalling than I do and defer to his judgement - unless it becomes a pattern of decisions that backfire.

Bottom line, this game should also be remembered for lack of execution or poor judgement on the part of the players(4 turnovers), subpar special teams coverage that put us in the position where this call was even an issue.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horrible play call. Yes, it has worked in the past for touchdowns but i hate that little inside slant play on the 1 yard line. Every time i saw them call that play, i cringed. Why would you want to risk throwing the ball in traffic like that on 1st and goal. So many things can go wrong and you saw this on Sunday. Those other 2 times that it worked could easily have been 1 yard touchdown runs. Just so stupid to call that play in that situation. The D-line was dogg tired and we would have walked into the endzone up the middle or with a sweep, no brainer.

Other things lead to us losing the game as well but at THAT PARTICULAR POINT in the game, we had ALL of the momentum. If we punch it in from the 1 yard line and kick the ball to the Bills, there is no way in hell that they would drive 80 yards for a touchdown. They had no momentum, confidence, rythm or anything. We instantly gave them confidence and momentum and excited them and we put our defense back on the field very unexpectedly and they looked confused and thats why we had a blown coverage and gave up the touchdown. At first my comment was, "lets see Al Harris ask for a pay increase now" but after watching the play, it looked like he expected safety help. I would tend to think that as a 10 year veteran, he was probably not in the wrong but either way, they should have been celebrating on the sideline instead of trying to figure out what defense to be in.

I really feel cheated. This team is better than their record. 5-3 is what we should be. We could be 6-2 and we could have been 4-4 but 5-3 is reasonable. But 3-5 is ridiculous. Only the Raiders coaching staff could have allowed breakdowns in 4 games like we have(Eagles,Saints,Rams,Bills).

I know im not on the team or part of the organization and i shouldnt care so much, but i support them. I buy the jerseys, tickets, memorabilia, the NFL package just to watch them because im out of town. When every body said they sucked in the early 90's and whenever they struggled, i allways believed in them. This loss hurts almost as much as the Rams loss. At 4-4, we had a great opportunity to fight for a wildcard birth. This is the 2nd game that we had in the bag and blew it. And 2 other games we were tied or leading (Eagles/Saints) and we completely fell apart. Its just a sign of a coaching staff that is unable to adjust and put their players in the best position to succeed. This coaching staff better get a clue or they wont be here much longer regardless.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Horrible play call. Yes, it has worked in the past for touchdowns but i hate that little inside slant play on the 1 yard line. Every time i saw them call that play, i cringed. Why would you want to risk throwing the ball in traffic like that on 1st and goal. So many things can go wrong and you saw this on Sunday. Those other 2 times that it worked could easily have been 1 yard touchdown runs. Just so stupid to call that play in that situation. The D-line was dogg tired and we would have walked into the endzone up the middle or with a sweep, no brainer.

Other things lead to us losing the game as well but at THAT PARTICULAR POINT in the game, we had ALL of the momentum. If we punch it in from the 1 yard line and kick the ball to the Bills, there is no way in hell that they would drive 80 yards for a touchdown. They had no momentum, confidence, rythm or anything. We instantly gave them confidence and momentum and excited them and we put our defense back on the field very unexpectedly and they looked confused and thats why we had a blown coverage and gave up the touchdown. At first my comment was, "lets see Al Harris ask for a pay increase now" but after watching the play, it looked like he expected safety help. I would tend to think that as a 10 year veteran, he was probably not in the wrong but either way, they should have been celebrating on the sideline instead of trying to figure out what defense to be in.

I really feel cheated. This team is better than their record. 5-3 is what we should be. We could be 6-2 and we could have been 4-4 but 5-3 is reasonable. But 3-5 is ridiculous. Only the Raiders coaching staff could have allowed breakdowns in 4 games like we have(Eagles,Saints,Rams,Bills).

I know im not on the team or part of the organization and i shouldnt care so much, but i support them. I buy the jerseys, tickets, memorabilia, the NFL package just to watch them because im out of town. When every body said they sucked in the early 90's and whenever they struggled, i allways believed in them. This loss hurts almost as much as the Rams loss. At 4-4, we had a great opportunity to fight for a wildcard birth. This is the 2nd game that we had in the bag and blew it. And 2 other games we were tied or leading (Eagles/Saints) and we completely fell apart. Its just a sign of a coaching staff that is unable to adjust and put their players in the best position to succeed. This coaching staff better get a clue or they wont be here much longer regardless.

no way they would have scored..you see in the future? not only do you know they were going to start at the 20, but also know they werent going to score

i like how you are blaming the coaches for the all of those games you pointed out..no where do you say bench a player for a fumble or tossing an int, or a false start..it is all the coaches fault!1

according to you they were in those games and should have won..but tell me who put in the game plans that made them so close to win>?

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gimme a break... the call doesn't work so it's a horrible call?!? By that logic, every call that worked was brillient. So it's only the play calls that are good or bad; obviously has nothing to do with players executing.

A bad call, imho, is running a throwback lateral on a kick-off return when you are in the lead but the game is close. A slant on the goal line has a high probability of success; and it's the route that Brett says he never misses.

So someone misses a block, makes a bad throw, drops a ball, runs the wrong route or whatever... that makes bad execution, not a bad call. For those of you that want MM to only make "safe" calls on the goalline, go pound sand. He wants to win, and he's calling plays based on info that none of us are privy to. I want him to call plays to win, not to conform to what 95% of the arm-chair coaches think he should do.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gimme a break... the call doesn't work so it's a horrible call?!? By that logic, every call that worked was brillient. So it's only the play calls that are good or bad; obviously has nothing to do with players executing.

No one's implying it was a bad call because it didn't work. You have to look at the game situation. Green had runs of 10, 9, and 16 I believe on that drive. Wells was on a radio show on Monday saying how the whole offensive line was on an emotional high with the adrenaline pumping. There's a saying in football "Go with what works." What was working on that drive? The run.

Even the previous TD to Driver on a slant was incredibly risky. How that one wasn't intercepted as well I don't know. There were about 4 different slants that could've gone been intercepted yet MM kept going back to it.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yared-Yam said:

No one's implying it was a bad call because it didn't work. You have to look at the game situation. Green had runs of 10, 9, and 16 I believe on that drive. Wells was on a radio show on Monday saying how the whole offensive line was on an emotional high with the adrenaline pumping. There's a saying in football "Go with what works." What was working on that drive? The run.

Even the previous TD to Driver on a slant was incredibly risky. How that one wasn't intercepted as well I don't know. There were about 4 different slants that could've gone been intercepted yet MM kept going back to it.

Whatever, they have 417 yds, everything was working as long as the players were executing. MM was trying to catch them in a short-yardage run D package, which he did. That is a good call poorly execucted. Going mano-e-mano against a stacked D is questionable. How many of those runs that worked in the drive were against goal-line run defenses?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whatever, they have 417 yds, everything was working as long as the players were executing. MM was trying to catch them in a short-yardage run D package, which he did. That is a good call poorly execucted. Going mano-e-mano against a stacked D is questionable. How many of those runs that worked in the drive were against goal-line run defenses?

I don't have a problem with a pass on that play. I have a problem with a 1-step drop slant which has a low chance of success. You can't run a playaction pass? If he really wanted to catch them "off guard" playaction would've been the RIGHT call if he wanted to pass it. MM was trying to get fancy and outsmarted himself.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.... we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I understand the point, but I understand what he was trying to do. Coaching is about finding tendancies and advantages and exploiting them; I applaud him for trying to find an advantage and use it.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my only gripe is go ahead and pass but I would of liked to see the playaction then if the plays not there then throw it away. They usally say the best down is first for playaction pass

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well.... we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I understand the point, but I understand what he was trying to do. Coaching is about finding tendancies and advantages and exploiting them; I applaud him for trying to find an advantage and use it.

On to the Queens!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my only gripe is go ahead and pass but I would of liked to see the playaction then if the plays not there then throw it away. They usally say the best down is first for playaction pass

I don't disagree with the call but would also like to see them change it up more. We go to that quick slant an awful lot.

The CB took the outside which gave the slant the look they needed. The problem is the CB jumped the inside route on the snap. That had to come from knowing we do that a lot. Similar to what happened with the Fletcher INT earlier.

Had Driver taken one slant step and gone parallel to the goal line (to the outside) he would have been standing alone. If not Favre could have thrown it wide and lived for another play because the CB help was on the inside.

I think the play showed we need to add a couple of wrinkles is all. The pass call against a run defense on first down is a solid call.

Members online

Latest posts