Official Studs and duds- Bear game

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It was getting to a point where I didn't even like the non-calls against the Bears.
Next time I want to watch us beat them and all other teams without any extra help.
That was an incredibly bad officiating crew but I don't think the Packers got any extra help from the officials, IMO the bad calls evened out pretty well. For the hands to face call against Peppers who was the victim of that penalty, there was the phantom first down for Nelson who definitely didn't make it (as the TV commentators mentioned it was strange the Bears HC didn't challenge that call since he was standing right there).

And the non-TD before half time was the right call. The camera angle opposite the one where Hyde was in the way showed the ball being bobbled as he tried to stretch it over the goal line. BTW, that was a great play by Clinton-Dix, who seems to be getting better with every game he plays.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was an incredibly bad officiating crew but I don't think the Packers got any extra help from the officials, IMO the bad calls evened out pretty well. For the hands to face call against Peppers who was the victim of that penalty, there was the phantom first down for Nelson who definitely didn't make it (as the TV commentators mentioned it was strange the Bears HC didn't challenge that call since he was standing right there).

And the non-TD before half time was the right call. The camera angle opposite the one where Hyde was in the way showed the ball being bobbled as he tried to stretch it over the goal line. BTW, that was a great play by Clinton-Dix, who seems to be getting better with every game he plays.
Wasn't there a phantom call that gave us first down when it was going to be third or fourth down?
I can't remember them all but it seems like there was one that really helped us out big.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wasn't there a phantom call that gave us first down when it was going to be third or fourth down?I can't remember them all but it seems like there was one that really helped us out big.
For the hands to face call against Peppers who was the victim of that penalty, there was the phantom first down for Nelson who definitely didn't make it (as the TV commentators mentioned it was strange the Bears HC didn't challenge that call since he was standing right there).

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't there a phantom call that gave us first down when it was going to be third or fourth down?
I can't remember them all but it seems like there was one that really helped us out big.

Was the Pack going for it on fourth down?
Actually, now I know which penalty that helped us out.
It was this one, via PFT:
Green Bay converted touchdowns after both Cutler picks, with the second score set up by a holding call on Chicago on a field-goal attempt.

I thought that could be another phantom call.
Either way we got yet another lucky break.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, now I know which penalty that helped us out.
It was this one, via PFT:
Green Bay converted touchdowns after both Cutler picks, with the second score set up by a holding call on Chicago on a field-goal attempt.

I thought that could be another phantom call.
Either way we got yet another lucky break.
I think the TV announcers pointed that out that he pulled the blocker aside. About as obvious as Linsleys 1st holding penalty.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs: Arod, Cobb, jordy, oline, MM, eddie lacey pass blocking, Lattimore is a BEAST, HaHa clearly has the Glow, tramon, shields they both had to hold alshon and brandon both big receivers they had no help from the dline, pretty much on a island every play they have to hold double moves all day cause dline gets no pressure.

duds: DLINE

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Everything has been covered in S&D's let me see if I can add something...
STUDS: special teams' for that great on side recovery kick that might have given Da Bears a chance...

DUDS:1) Devon House's shoes, geeez!! take a pair for every down.
2) STUPID STUPID STUPID penaltiies, "Enough already
3) Refs, I know we love bad calls going our way BUT? (remember Seattle) it could be bad Karma at a bad time..
4) And the last DUD is for who ever stop showing old videos when the Packers could "TACKLE"....

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Studs: Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson, o line pass protection, Crosby, Tramon and second half defense.

Duds: D line in first half. Too much room to run. Lacy who is still bouncing outside too much and run blocking.

Overall, very good!
Overall, very poor.

The Pack are up to their old tricks again. A completely one dimensional Offense and an extremely porous Defense. Same old same old. Without Rogers, this team is mediocre at best.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, very poor.

The Pack are up to their old tricks again. A completely one dimensional Offense and an extremely porous Defense. Same old same old. Without Rogers, this team is mediocre at best.

Yes, some aspects like the run D were not good, but they won by 3TDs on the road.

Big picture on the defense is only 17 points given up against a very good offense.

Also, I don't care at all mid game if the offense is one dimensional when they are scoring. That's the goal of the offense and when they score a lot, it doesn't matter how.

You don't do those with an overall very poor performance.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't generalize and say the defense was bad the whole game based on the first half alone.

Plus, lots of yards, but only 17 points and 2 picks. Those stats matter the most.

Agreed... I don't think the defense played great by any means but when our offense scores so quickly, the other team is going to be on the field a lot more and their yards are going to rack up.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Creating all that dead money is a joke, right?
Not if it saves significant cap money which is where some of these contracts will be after this season. I don't think Matthews will be at that point yet though. I probably jumped the gun with that post. I'm having an increasingly difficult time watching this team when the defense is on the field. Very close to leaving the room and coming back when I figure they've given up the touchdown much like I did with the Badgers in 2007.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Yes, some aspects like the run D were not good, but they won by 3TDs on the road.

Big picture on the defense is only 17 points given up against a very good offense.

Also, I don't care at all mid game if the offense is one dimensional when they are scoring. That's the goal of the offense and when they score a lot, it doesn't matter how.

You don't do those with an overall very poor performance.
Yes. They have the potential to score often against lesser opponents. In the playoffs, a porous defense will get you nowhere.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not if it saves significant cap money which is where some of these contracts will be after this season. I don't think Matthews will be at that point yet though. I probably jumped the gun with that post. I'm having an increasingly difficult time watching this team when the defense is on the field. Very close to leaving the room and coming back when I figure they've given up the touchdown much like I did with the Badgers in 2007.

We'd have to look at the actual numbers and factor in the salaries of the replacement players in order to see.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Excuse me being stupid but are you guys talking about ANOTHER Rodgers ?

H

HardRightEdge

Note the 8 men in the box, with the 4 second level guys taking two steps forward on the play fake and the middle backers a couple of beats slow dropping in coverage. I could be mistaken, but that looks like 4 LBs with the 4 DL. This is run sell-out against the full house backfield.

The zone seam was wide open because 58 was late and did not get a deep enough drop and his head around. This is the classic weakness of the cover 2...the ILB is under pressure to cover a lot of ground.

Also, if anybody was wondering why Chris Conte is still playing football it is because cover 2 needs a hard hitting safety for an intimidation factor in order to make receivers not want to make plays in the area of weakness in the middle intermediate zone.

For Aaron Rodgers, this is shooting fish in a barrel against that personnel.

So the idea that Rodgers can't beat cover 2 is not entirely accurate. Where he has problems is when teams get run penetration with 3 or 4, collapse the pocket with 4, and where physical, fast and instinctual ILBs (e.g., Willis and Wagner) see no particular need to sell out on the run and can control the the middle of the field.

Everybody has trouble beating a strong cover 2 loaded with talent...Seattle, SF in past years. In order to beat them it starts at the line of scrimmage...open holes, get the running game going, and get the LBs to respect the run. If Lacy can't get it going against talented fronts and the passing game stalls as a result, put the blame where it is due...the run blocking gets whipped.

We don't have to play Seattle every week. Then again, we don't get to play against this Bears front 7 sans Allen every week either.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh? Even after they put up 496 yards on us, Chicago is still only ranked 16th in total yards. They are tied for 17th in points per game. I think a lot of playoff teams, actually most of them, will have a better offense than Chicago's offense.

We can disagree. I find their offense very talented and will rise way above 17th overall throughout 16 games.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Allowing 17 points in the playoffs will get them deep.
I'm afraid the competition the Packers might see in the playoffs will be just a bit better than Da' Bears. One and done is what the Pack can look forward to the way they're playing right now.

Actually it's the way they've played for the last several years. Without Rogers the Packers are thoroughly mediocre in every way that a team can be measured. I for one am kind of tired of seeing it.

Either Capers has to go or something drastic has to happen.

I take it all back. Sans passing game, the Packers are not mediocre, mediocre would be an improvement.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts