Official Seattle thread

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is such a tough matchup. They just don't have any serious weaknesses. But if I had to draw up a plan(with my limited football knowledge) here is what I would do.

On Offense-
I have some faith that we will be able to score points....if Lacy gets going. While Seattle's defensive run the past few weeks has been impressive for sure, it has come at the expense of some mediocre at best offenses. I think the most important thing is going to be to establish the run. We can't get away from it, it's by far our best chance at winning. The Seahawks have given up more than 100 yards rushing six times this year, and they are 2-4 in those games. Our offensive line has been clicking, it had another nice game today, and I think, as Seattle's defensive line is a bit depleted, that they will have some success. If Lacy doesn't have at least a decent game, we have little to no chance of winning.

I think it also would be best to line up Cobb on Sherman a few times and see how that works. I believe he'd have more success there than Nelson would. He's small, quick and Sherman has slightly more difficulty covering those kinds of guys. MM could also try Cobb out of the backfield, and see how that goes(Maybe get a good matchup?), since we didn't really start using that formation until the Patriots game. I don't expect Nelson to have a big day, he will garner too much attention, but I think Cobb and Adams could replicate their performances that they had against the Cowboys. The good news is that Adams is way better than Boykin, so we will actually have three WR's this matchup, as opposed to week one where we essentially only had two. Antonio Gates also burned the Seahawks secondary for three touchdowns, and I'd be interested to see if MM sees anything in that, although the Seahawks shut down most other TE's they faced and we don't exactly have a great receiving TE.

Needless to say, protection is essential with Rodgers' limited mobility.

On Defense-
This concerns me more than anything else. I just don't see how we can stop their offense with our D. If Lynch doesn't run over us, Wilson will throw it all over the place, and if that doesn't work he'll just run for lots of yards. I think the best shot would be to try to stuff the run and keep Wilson in the pocket. Make their WR's beat us(which they will). But who knows, we dropped an easy INT from Wilson in week one, so we could get another. Anyway, I thought the run D did reasonably well considering we were facing Murray and a very strong offensive line. Seattle's offensive line isn't quite as strong, so if our defense actually learns how to tackle, maybe Lynch can be contained.

Unfortunately, our meeting with the Seahawks seems to coincide with the rise of Luke Willson, their TE. He had 139 yards receiving against the Cardinals and a big touchdown against the Panthers on Saturday. No doubt we will get killed over the middle again.

To sum up what I think we should do on defense, stop the run, contain Wilson, and hope for an INT, dropped pass or good play by our secondary. Hold them to field goals if they're in scoring range. If we don't stop the run, they'll control the clock and kill us that way.

Special Teams-
Hyde, if there was ever a game for another punt return TD, this is it. No blocked xps either, or missed field goals. No fumbles on returns. No muffed punts. The punting game needs to get better(I'm looking at you Tim Masthay). The special teams needs to be perfect.

Other crap-
Turnovers will be big. We cannot turn it over. Seattle matches up well enough with us that losing the turnover battle, even just by one turnover, will almost guarantee us a loss. Rodgers needs to not throw an INT this time in Seattle, Lacy can't fumble....no turnovers. If we don't turn it over and can force even just one(which I think we can do) our chances of winning go up exponentially.

One area I do think we have a huge advantage in is penalties. Seattle has been killing itself all year with penalties. It's been downright sloppy, and if they weren't so talented it would have really hurt them. They lead the league in penalties, while we are near the bottom. Need to play a clean game. Seattle will give up yards through penalties, so let's take it and not give any back. Keeping Brad Jones off the field in this case would help out a lot. He had a killer penalty in week one.

Conclusion-
Let's face it. Seattle matches up well with us. It's in Seattle. They've only lost twice there with Wilson. Rodgers is hurt. We have been inconsistent on the road. The Seahawks have the best D perhaps since the '85 Bears(Sorry '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs). In many ways, it seems a complete mismatch. That's why the Packers need to be almost perfect. We can probably afford a few minor slip ups, but nothing serious. This wouldn't be a huge upset if we did win, but it will be the toughest test by far this year, and probably of the McCarthy era. The team has got to be motivated, after getting embarrassed in week one, and being embarrassed by the NFC west for the past three years. At some point in time we will eventually beat the 49ers or Seahawks, but we are currently on a 0-6 streak against them. But I have some faith. I'm feeling a little optimistic. So I'm saying Packers 27 Seahawks 23.

Last edited:

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll also throw this out there. Seahawks are going to clearly try and take our playmakers out of the game. Nelson and Cobb have been the main focus with teams. If Adams plays like he did today and we have a third reliable option at WR, I like our chances of moving the ball. Yet again, another reason why this game is entirely different than week 1.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll also throw this out there. Seahawks are going to clearly try and take our playmakers out of the game. Nelson and Cobb have been the main focus with teams. If Adams plays like he did today and we have a third reliable option at WR, I like our chances of moving the ball. Yet again, another reason why this game is entirely different than week 1.

Yep, that's huge. Boykin might has well have not shown up in week one.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't have a lot of confidence going into this game. So if Green Bay does win, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Can the Packers win? Yes, they can. The old adage of Any Given Sunday applies here. But it'll be very very difficult. A lot of things will need to go Green Bay's way for them to pull out a victory. I will however go ahead and predict that whoever does win this game, will go on to win the Super Bowl.

GO PACK GO!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beating the Seahawks? a) Rodgers needs to have 2 MVP halves, not one.

b) Packers' run defense did a decent job in the 1st half and then let Murray run wild in the 4th quarter. Lynch is not Murray. Murray is like AP, strong and fast, Lynch runs over you. Seattle's OL is not as good as Dallas' to be sure, but you have to defend against 2 runners with the Hawks, Lynch and Wilson. If the Packers' run D isn't better agains the Hawks, it will be hard for them to win.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keys to winning:
1) Stop Seahawks running attack
2) Pressure Wilson and SACK him
3) Protect Rodgers

Do those three things, we'll win.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and the pack are the deserved underdog who lost the past couple in Seattle. The Hawks could easily be looking past the packers. They would have the confidence as the best us soundly week 1.

In case someone like Rodgers needed more motivation, it's there.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beating the Seahawks? a) Rodgers needs to have 2 MVP halves, not one.

b) Packers' run defense did a decent job in the 1st half and then let Murray run wild in the 4th quarter. Lynch is not Murray. Murray is like AP, strong and fast, Lynch runs over you. Seattle's OL is not as good as Dallas' to be sure, but you have to defend against 2 runners with the Hawks, Lynch and Wilson. If the Packers' run D isn't better agains the Hawks, it will be hard for them to win.

On the flip side. They don't have a dez that you always have to account for

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lynch can be "contained" and held in check, but the D needs to wrap up and tackle, not just try slamming into him.
- My biggest fear is Wilson running and extending plays.
- My 2nd biggest fear is F__ing Brad Jones making more stupid penalties and extending drives.
- Lastly, AR needs to continue spreading the ball around to the open man. I agree with posters above that the Seahawks will try to take-away Nelson and Cobb. AR needs to use Adams, Rodgers, Quarless, and Lacy on dump-offs to stretch the D and keep the chains moving.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Rodgers has any improvement at all this week in his leg, we should be able to win. Carolina gave them all they could handle through 3.5 quarters. That game largely came down to one play and one bad pass by Newton. They'll have to play better than they did last week and we need Rodgers as healthy as possible.

The problem with that is the Panthers defense matches up way better than the Packers one. Our run defense has improved but we don´t have any guys like Luke Kuechly or Thomas Davis on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have a chance to win this game but they have to play a close to perfect game to make it happen.

On defense the key will be to stop Lynch and contain Wilson running the ball. If we can do that I don´t see them being able to beat us with their passing game.

On offense we have to get Lacy going early not only running the ball but catching passes as well. Quarless and Rodgers have to step up their game as well and make some catches. It will be interesting to see if Byron Maxwell will be able to play for the Seahawks. If he can´t go I would line up Nelson on Simon on every single play and exploit this mismatch.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conclusion-
Let's face it. Seattle matches up well with us. It's in Seattle. They've only lost twice there with Wilson. Rodgers is hurt. We have been inconsistent on the road. The Seahawks have the best D perhaps since the '85 Bears(Sorry '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs). In many ways, it seems a complete mismatch. That's why the Packers need to be almost perfect. We can probably afford a few minor slip ups, but nothing serious.

I agree with a lot of your comments... Packers have to play flawlessly to have a chance to win and Seattle most likely has to have some mistakes (big penalties, turnovers etc..) for Packers to win.

Packers run defense in 2nd half was terrible vs Dallas... Dallas probably has a better OL, but Packers had big problems bouncing off Lynch in 1st game. Something that may help is that Unger got hurt late in Seahawks game, his loss would be big, they run with much less success when he is out.

If Rodgers was healthy I would like the Packers chances more, but I only give them 10-20% chance to win. Packers are on the road, Rodgers is much less than 100% and Packers run defense is still their Achilles heal.

Seattle 31, Packers 20

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with that is the Panthers defense matches up way better than the Packers one. Our run defense has improved but we don´t have any guys like Luke Kuechly or Thomas Davis on the roster.

My thoughts are the same... but Carolina actually gave up 4.5 yards/carry during regular season vs Packers at 4.3 yards/carry. Packers only gave up 8 more yards per game.

Maybe that creates some more optimism for me, but I still think Lynch will have a big day. 2nd half vs Dallas did not look good for our run defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle is possibly the best team the packers have played against in the last 20 years. They are playing amazingly well. the way to beat them is to have their DC and OC get head coaching jobs and leave. Have Russel Wilson get a huge contract. Have a few of their cornerstones leave for more $. Of course that does us no good next Sunday.

There is always a chance though. We need to have a couple of big plays on defense. Peppers tip a pass and Hyde getting a picke6. Clay knocking the ball from russel and Daniels picking it up and trotting to the end zone. Maybe their WR bobbling the ball and shields grabbing it and running it back.

There is always a chance.

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your comments... Packers have to play flawlessly to have a chance to win and Seattle most likely has to have some mistakes (big penalties, turnovers etc..) for Packers to win.

Packers run defense in 2nd half was terrible vs Dallas... Dallas probably has a better OL, but Packers had big problems bouncing off Lynch in 1st game. Something that may help is that Unger got hurt late in Seahawks game, his loss would be big, they run with much less success when he is out.

If Rodgers was healthy I would like the Packers chances more, but I only give them 10-20% chance to win. Packers are on the road, Rodgers is much less than 100% and Packers run defense is still their Achilles heal.

Seattle 31, Packers 20

Wilson as a passer scares me a lot less than Romo as a passer, especially since he lost Tate and Harvin, so we can probably load up against the run a bit more. My player to watch is Nick Perry because the likelihood (and my preference) is that he'll be outside a whole lot with Matthews inside and he'll need to set the edge so Wilson can't escape.

I'm mentally prepared to lose this game, though, I just think Seattle are a dominant football team right now

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers hung in that pocket yesterday , and our o-line held GREAT! Adams broke out showing he can beat the 1 on 1. Lacy is a bonified dominant RB that will beat you. And we shown the defense is much improved with Peppers earning the right to be game planned against. All things that werent considered last time we played them.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The stadium and their running game will hard for the Pack to over come..

I think it will be close until the 4th q..Depends on how much either def has been on the field during the game..

The longer a def is on the field during the course of a game, the more worn out they get in 4th q---lets just hope the Packers def are the ones not on the field a ton

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game is going to be incredibly difficult, no question. It's hard enough to beat this team on the road with a healthy squad, let alone going into it with our star QB not at 100%. That being said, in my opinion here is what we NEED to do in order to win:

Win up front, plain and simple. If Lacy can run for 100 yards we have a legitimate shot of winning. Seattle's secondary is way too good to throw against all game long- an established ground game will create a balance that is sorely needed to keep those DB's honest. No run game means we lose the game.

Russell can make things happen, but I think our defense can do enough to keep the Seattle offense quiet enough to keep us hanging in there. Lynch needs to be the primary focus but on passing downs we absolutely need to prevent Russell from moving around in that pocket.

And for the love of God DO NOT take away Sherman's side of the field!! I understand that Sherman and Chancellor are playing out of their minds right now, but you can't play afraid. Yes, play smart and be respectful of their talent, but ignoring them completely is not the way to approach the game. You have to take your shots now and then, play bold.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't say i love our chances if AR can't scramble and find guys when the pocket collapses. But stranger things have happened. I'm hopeful.

Sky King

Reaction score
Cobb in the backfield seems to be presenting every team the Packers play some match-up problems. As far as Sherman, et. al., are concerned, no player is without strengths and and at least one weakness. Effectively executing plays that exploit their weakness is the trick. Sherman, for example, is alleged to have some trouble with the receivers who get in and out of their breaks (above average) quickly, double-moves, and also have the speed to pull away from him and his so-so speed. Cobb is the closest player that we have to fitting that all-around description. The Packers did not even try to work against Sherman in the opener and I would not expect that strategic mistake to recur.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On defense the key will be to stop Lynch and contain Wilson running the ball. If we can do that I don´t see them being able to beat us with their passing game.

On offense we have to get Lacy going early not only running the ball but catching passes as well. Quarless and Rodgers have to step up their game as well and make some catches.
Highly agree with the underlined parts of your post, capt.

D-line and ILB's need to attack Lynch and not arm-tackle at the shoulder pads 6 yards deep. Hit him IN the hole, he'll get his 3 yds. falling forward but it keeps him from building-up speed. OLB's/Safeties NEED to keep Wilson in the pocket and make him throw instead of scrambling out gaining 15+ yds. each run.

Lacy averaged 6.4 yds/carry in the first series but left for the remainder of the half with asthma issues. With a healthy Lacy pounding early I think it'll keep Seattle's D more "honest". If they choose to relentlessly attack AR then screens and Lacy will (hopefully) punish them.

Lastly, why is Brad Jones still active on game-day? Does MM think the team is too disciplined and needs a few stupid penalties to help the opponent keep drives alive?

Looking forward to this game ~ time to rise-up and avenge the last few Seattle losses.

Last edited:

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb in the backfield seems to be presenting every team the Packers play some match-up problems. As far as Sherman, et. al., are concerned, no player is without strengths and and at least one weakness. Effectively executing plays that exploit their weakness is the trick. Sherman, for example, is alleged to have some trouble with the receivers who get in and out of their breaks (above average) quickly, double-moves, and also have the speed to pull away from him and his so-so speed. Cobb is the closest player that we have to fitting that all-around description. The Packers did not even try to work against Sherman in the opener and I would not expect that strategic mistake to recur.

To expand on a point you made, I think that pump fakes and double-moves are an essential part of beating this Seattle defense. Seattle's D is ALWAYS looking to snatch the ball away, and while their aggressiveness has certainly paid dividends long-term it can certainly backfire against you. The only way to successfully do this throughout a game though is to have elite offensive line protection, which is exactly what we'll need.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Carolina can put 17 on them with their offense (and very nearly 24), we certainly have the capability to put 30+ on them. Even if Rodgers is only 50% he's better than Newton because the QB position is played from inside the cranium.

I hear this "match up" argument all the time and it comes off like a convenient way to say, "Well, we can't win this one just.... because." I think it's just a way of preemptively lowering expectations to temper disappointment later.

If Rodgers is able to play like he did in the second half yesterday, this is anyone's game.

Sea_Hawker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings all. Obviously, I am a Seahawks fan just paying a visit to your forums. I would like to say first and foremost, I'm not here to insight riots, troll the forums or try and come in here and say 'we're better than you'. Just love talking football. I come in with a tremendous amount of respect for the Packers organization, your current team and all of you, the fan base.

Now that's out of the way, lets get down to business, shall we? For this post, I won't get too much into my belief on X's and O's... just my general feel.

I was only able to watch about half of your game vs Dallas. I want to get that on the table right away. So with that said, I'm going to be speaking more from the standpoint of Seattle and maybe give you a little insight on what I think it would take to beat the Seahawks in Seattle. I post under the caveat of retaining my right to change my opinion as I have not yet read the injury reports!

red4tribe - I think you hit it pretty well on the nose. Recently, the Seahawks have been playing average offenses at best (with the exception of maybe the Eagles). But they are still a lights out defense, especially in the second half. The Packers have some serious firepower on offense, that is very clear... with an MVP QB in Rodgers. This is where I must bow to the fact that I didn't see as much of the game yesterday as I would have liked. How much is Rodgers calf limiting his mobility? I mean I think he could hit a receiver standing on the surface of the moon but if he's stuck in the pocket, I think that probably spells trouble for the Pack. I say this with the caveat that I haven't seen our injury report from Saturday.

As far as the Seahawks offense goes....

Most people think the secret to beating Seattle is don't let Lynch run free and put a spy on Wilson. I don't think that is necessarily the case. What you will see from Lynch more often than not is through the first 3 or so quarters, he'll rush 15 times for 45 yards. Once he's beaten you down enough (and the O line), that's when he'll break out the 40 yarders. Just like all good punishing running backs. Where it gets tricky is Wilson. Deadly accurate on the run and a great decision maker. BUT he does have the deep ball capability, which he was showed on Saturday. When you spy him, he does have the ability to beat the spy, then he's rattling off 25-30 yards. Again, red4tribe I think nailed it. If you can keep him between the tackles and get pressure, that's how you beat them. While those teams we've been playing lately have poor offenses, their defenses have been pretty good. San Fran, Arizona, Rams, and Carolina.

At the end of the day, I think it's a pretty tall order for the Packers to come in here and knock off the Seahawks. I think it will be a tight game overall but I think the Hawks will pull away in the 4th. That's been the pattern for several weeks now and what I suspect will happen here.

Just my 2 cents... thanks for the time all!

Cheers...

Members online

Latest posts