Official Rodgers Injury Thread

Atanas Stratiev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT just brought VY in to show that he has the ability to actually draw from resources other than draft and develop. One VY had his picture taken in a Packer uni, he had fulfilled his purpose and was all but gone.
If it`s true, that`s just stupid. It`s always good to have an experienced QB in a back-up role. Like last night - Ponder got injured, but Matt Cassel stepped in and won for the Vikings. At least, we could keep Flynn. He showed a good potential in his one or two games during 2011 season. I still remember the game vs Patriots. We were huge underdogs, because of the injury of Aaron, but Matt almost won it, just got beaten by the clock. And I think he`s a free agent right now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If it`s true, that`s just stupid. It`s always good to have an experienced QB in a back-up role. Like last night - Ponder got injured, but Matt Cassel stepped in and won for the Vikings. At least, we could keep Flynn. He showed a good potential in his one or two games during 2011 season. I still remember the game vs Patriots. We were huge underdogs, because of the injury of Aaron, but Matt almost won it, just got beaten by the clock. And I think he`s a free agent right now.
No offense but have you been paying attention to what’s going on in Green Bay at all? You seem surprised that Young was in Green Bay – didn’t you see him play in preseason? If you did, how did you evaluate his play? And “we could keep Flynn”? Do you know anything about why he left Green Bay? Did you know he had to clear waivers earlier this week before the Packers could even consider bringing him back?

H

HardRightEdge

Career stats:

Wallace: 31 TDs, 19 INTs

Young: 46 TDs, 51 INTs

It doesn't go much deeper than that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No offense but have you been paying attention to what’s going on in Green Bay at all? You seem surprised that Young was in Green Bay – didn’t you see him play in preseason? If you did, how did you evaluate his play? And “we could keep Flynn”? Do you know anything about why he left Green Bay? Did you know he had to clear waivers earlier this week before the Packers could even consider bringing him back?

I think he is from overseas, and may only get bits and pieces

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think he is from overseas, and may only get bits and pieces
Yes, I know. If he is only getting bits and pieces perhaps he should be more careful throwing words like "stupid" around. And apparently he doesn't even know Wallace is "an experienced QB in a back-up role". All you have to do is read this forum to get more than bits and pieces. Nothing wrong with being uninformed until you post as if you're not.

BTW, this biased and idiotic post:
TT just brought VY in to show that he has the ability to actually draw from resources other than draft and develop. One VY had his picture taken in a Packer uni, he had fulfilled his purpose and was all but gone.
Is contradicted by how Young performed while in Green Bay as Dunne wrote in his chat: "Vince Young was not good in Green Bay. The first week, he threw interceptions during walkthrough periods. The last week, he went 14 of 30 and generated two field goals against Kansas City. In between, there was a flicker of hope against Seattle. The Packers knew what they had in Young." And HRE’s post.

Last edited:
D

Dan115

I am in Thailand. I am able to stream Green Bay radio stations. With the Internet you can stay abreast to what is happening with the Packers

Atanas Stratiev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Career stats:

Wallace: 31 TDs, 19 INTs

Young: 46 TDs, 51 INTs

It doesn't go much deeper than that.
Young has twice more passing attempts than Seneca (1304 to 783 in their whole career). It`s pretty normal when you risk more to make more mistakes. The only thing Wallace can do is giving the ball to the Running back. I can do that, too. You can do that, too. Anyone can do this. If he cannot pass, he`s crappy for me. I f we want a QB that cannot pass, we`d better bring Tebow. He`s only rushing and is an absolutely joke.

H

HardRightEdge

Young has twice more passing attempts than Seneca (1304 to 783 in their whole career). It`s pretty normal when you risk more to make more mistakes. The only thing Wallace can do is giving the ball to the Running back. I can do that, too. You can do that, too. Anyone can do this. If he cannot pass, he`s crappy for me. I f we want a QB that cannot pass, we`d better bring Tebow. He`s only rushing and is an absolutely joke.

I don't think there's any data to suggest throwing more balls necessarily results in a poorer TD:INT ratio.

I did exaggerate, though, to make a point. It does go deeper. Wallace has a lot of experience running West Coast offenses. He can run McCarthy's scheme, even if his ability to execute successfully remains in doubt.

Young lacks such experience, and to say he's not a quick study is an understatement.

Like I said before, if we're going to lose I'd rather do it running our scheme. Otherwise, you run the risk of devolving into a broken play / playground game, with a loss of playing discipline that might take some time to recover when Rodgers returns.

If Flynn's arm and head are in the right places, by all means bring him on, because under those circumstances he can keep this ship on course if not win a game or two.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the younger fans who may not remember, Tom Braatz was the defacto GM from 1987 to 1991. The Packers finished 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th and 4th in the division during his tenure. They played in exactly zero playoff games and won almost 37% of their games.

Had the damn Bengals beaten the Vikings in the last game of '89, we'd have gotten in, but Braatz was awful. Off the top of my head, there are only a small handful of players that Braatz personally drafted who were great players. Sharpe and Butler are probably easily the top two. Majkowski was awesome to cheer for and fun to watch in '89 but wasn't "great" by any means. Cecil is up there - he was very good. But Braatz flopped bad on Fullwood, Thompson and all the running backs, although Vince Workman was an easy guy to like. Braatz' legacy is taking Mandarich over Sanders, without a doubt. That falls into the Bowie-Jordan category.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Braatz' legacy is taking Mandarich over Sanders, without a doubt.
HOFer Troy Aikman was taken before Mandarich in the ’89 draft. And three HOFers were selected after that horse manure pick. In order: Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders.

Atanas Stratiev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any data to suggest throwing more balls necessarily results in a poorer TD:INT ratio.

I did exaggerate, though, to make a point. It does go deeper. Wallace has a lot of experience running West Coast offenses. He can run McCarthy's scheme, even if his ability to execute successfully remains in doubt.

Young lacks such experience, and to say he's not a quick study is an understatement.

Like I said before, if we're going to lose I'd rather do it runnng our scheme. Otherwise, you run the risk of devolving into a broken play / playground game, with a loss of playing discipline that might take some time to recover when Rodgers returns.

If Flynn's arm and head are in the right places, by all means bring him on, because under those circumstances he can keep this ship on course if not win a game or two.
I absolutely agree about Flynn. Would have been nice to have him in the squad now.
And, of course, football is not mathematics and sometimes numbers don`t say the whole truth. But I just don`t see in Seneca that "X-factor" anyone, who wants to be a good football player, should have. He looked scared, frustrated, unconcentrated against Bears, had a look saying "Oh, man, now everything depends on me, what should I do?". And I could see even from 5 000 miles on my TV Screen in Europe. I doubt that he`ll be able to pass for more than 200 yards against the Eagles. I watched them against Oakland. Not just their offense, but also, their defense looked pretty hard. I hope I`m wrong and he`ll make the game of his life

Atanas Stratiev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I know. If he is only getting bits and pieces perhaps he should be more careful throwing words like "stupid" around. And apparently he doesn't even know Wallace is "an experienced QB in a back-up role". All you have to do is read this forum to get more than bits and pieces. Nothing wrong with being uninformed until you post as if you're not.

BTW, this biased and idiotic post: Is contradicted by how Young performed while in Green as Dunne wrote in his chat: "Vince Young was not good in Green Bay. The first week, he threw interceptions during walkthrough periods. The last week, he went 14 of 30 and generated two field goals against Kansas City. In between, there was a flicker of hope against Seattle. The Packers knew what they had in Young." And HRE’s post.
Apologies for the mistake. Seneca really have experience. But, as I wrote above:
I don`t see in him that "X-factor" anyone, who wants to be a good football player, should have. He looked scared, frustrated, unconcentrated against Bears, had a look saying "Oh, man, now everything depends on me, what should I do?". And I could see even from 5 000 miles on my TV Screen in Europe. I doubt that he`ll be able to pass for more than 200 yards against the Eagles. I watched them against Oakland. Not just their offense, but also, their defense looked pretty hard. I hope I`m wrong and he`ll make the game of his life.
I think than with V. Young we could have had a better QB. Just my personal opinion

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked scared, frustrated, unconcentrated against Bears, had a look saying "Oh, man, now everything depends on me, what should I do?". And I could see even from 5 000 miles on my TV Screen in Europe.

Think back to 2010 when Flynn came in after Rodgers went down to that concussion and took the Packers to a 7-3 defeat. Then a week later in New England, Flynn almost pulls it off and suddenly he's a good backup.

A week of preparation and taking all the practice snaps can make the difference. Rodgers himself has said that his preparation is where he draws his confidence from.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOFer Troy Aikman was taken before Mandarich in the ’89 draft. And three HOFers were selected after that horse manure pick. In order: Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, and Deion Sanders.

Indeed. I'll never condone, nor do I want to make excuses for Braatz on that one, but let's be brutally honest here - the media totally influenced that pick. We did need a franchise tackle, no doubt. But the red flags with that guy were so obvious, it didn't take a scout to see he was a fake. I did read Mandarich's book and that guy was chronically mainlining painkillers and speed with a needle he hid in his shoulder pads, for about two years straight. He didn't just suck because he was no longer on steroids - he was drugged out of his mind and completely out of it, nearly his entire time there. Pathetic and that's an understatement.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I think Deion said he wouldn't play in Green Bay. Having Derrick Thomas would have been nice. Having Barry would have been nicer. But thank god they didn't pick Aikman. Great game manager he was, but had we drafted him, we probably wouldn't have traded for Favre, and the Packers of the 90s may not have been much better than the Packers of the 70s and 80s.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Deion said he wouldn't play in Green Bay. Having Derrick Thomas would have been nice. Having Barry would have been nicer. But thank god they didn't pick Aikman. Great game manager he was, but had we drafted him, we probably wouldn't have traded for Favre, and the Packers of the 90s may not have been much better than the Packers of the 70s and 80s.

Deion was hilarious at that draft. He was wearing all this gold and MC Hammer glasses, etc. He goes, "Man, I thought Detroit was gonna take me. If Detroit had taken me, I'd have asked them for so much money, they'd up and have had to put me on layaway". LOL, I never forgot that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He looked scared, frustrated, unconcentrated against Bears, had a look saying "Oh, man, now everything depends on me, what should I do?". And I could see even from 5 000 miles on my TV Screen in Europe.
Not everyone saw it the way you did. In McGinn's ratings column he wrote: "Wallace's composure was good. There were no delay of game penalties, dropped shotgun snaps or bobbled center exchanges, the procedural miscues that plague backups. Even when protection disintegrated into jail breaks, he wasn't pointing fingers or looking frustrated." I agree with McGinn. It was a horrible performance but not because Wallace was scared or frustrated.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99135665z1-230772811.html

Before the '89 draft a friend who I played football with in high school (he competed state-wide in weight-lifting and took steroids - played college ball and even got a cup of coffee in the NFL too, BTW) told me the Packers better stay away from Mandarich. At the time I was hoping they'd draft one of the "skill" position guys because I thought that was too high for an OT. But you never know what would have happened if a different player were selected...

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Deion was hilarious at that draft. He was wearing all this gold and MC Hammer glasses, etc. He goes, "Man, I thought Detroit was gonna take me. If Detroit had taken me, I'd have asked them for so much money, they'd up and have had to put me on layaway". LOL, I never forgot that.
Haha sounds like Deion. As impressive as he was as a player, he has never impressed me as person. Anyone who nicknames himself "Prime Time" has serious ego issues.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Before the '89 draft a friend who I played football with in high school (he competed state-wide in weight-lifting and took steroids - played college ball and even got a cup of coffee in the NFL too, BTW) told me the Packers better stay away from Mandarich. At the time I was hoping they'd draft one of the "skill" position guys because I thought that was too high for an OT. But you never know what would have happened if a different player were selected...
You never know, but I would say things turned out pretty well. If the 90s Packers would have figured out how to beat the Cowboys in Dallas they may have been the team of the decade.

I'm not saying Mandarich was a good pick, but things worked out pretty well long term.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deion, Bo, and to some extent almost Jordan.
Have we had any cross sport athletes since then?

I can't think of any. The Chicago press raked Jordan over the coals when he "tried" to play for the White Sox. That was pretty much a joke. Deion and Bo were actually very, very good baseball players. Remember the time Deion played for the Falcons at noon and then played for the Braves that same night? Crazy.

Members online

Latest posts