Official Rodgers Injury Thread

OP
OP
Bensalama21
Reaction score
The Eagles and Vikings are beatable without Rodgers if the D can step up. The Lions are what scare me. You never know when Matthew Stafford can look like a rookie or a quarterbacking genius.
Or when Megatron is going to go off for 350 yards receiving

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Does anyone else see an issue with promoting Scott Tolzien to the regular roster? Is he ready to play if Wallace goes down or are we going to be worse off then when AR went down? Why not keep him on PS, so we can keep him for next year and bring in Flynn or someone with more game experience. Because once AR comes back, are we keeping 3 QB's on active roster and will we be able to get Tolzien back on the PS at that time?

Just my 2 cents.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN, FOX Sports, KFAN Radio, ESPN Radio and Jay Glazer all reporting Aaron Rodgers likely, after initial reports, now more likely to miss 4-6 weeks with the latter seeming more realistic. That said I believe his timetable for a return at this point in the season is going to depend on how the Packers do going forward. If we can win our next two games without A-Rod, I think he stays on the mend and gets healed for playoff time.

If on the other hand we lose our next two games, I think he hurries his return regardless of how he feels- Aaron Rodgers with one arm is better than most QB's with both arms, so regardless of how comfortable he is, I still feel he gives this team the best chance to win.

Whatever the case, in my opinion, Seneca Wallace can't do this. Say what you will about the man not playing in pre-season or getting any snaps during practice, he looks absolutely uncomfortable every passing play and that was with an amazing run game- imagine the same scenario when our run game isn't getting the same success. We need to either bring in Flynn, sign a seasoned veteran in the FA market, or start Scott Tolzien who the Packers seem pretty optimistic about.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ok this is getting ridiculous..You heard ESPN saying up to 6 weeks...

This says 3 weeks and it is an ESPN article

http://www.630wpro.com/common/more....ticle=C4CCF8C3465711E3B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

It goes to show no one knows..

When MM says it is going to be week to week and he feels better AFTER talking to the doctors , that is what we should be listening to

I'm just repeating what I heard from ESPN radio on xm radio this morning at 0530am. Besides, they did say 3 - 6 weeks...... notice the "3" in there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
if we weren't heading towards the playoffs....or at least a good shot at them.....I would agee with Tolzien given the starting job, but I think that wouldn't help us in the short term. Keep him on the PS and sign Flynn or another veteran. Which is what we well probably see happen if Wallace looks bad against the Eagles.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I hear ya..... it's all speculation, just have to go with what an actual source says. Besides, we have the worst luck and then again you have to be extra cautious with a star QB. So I could see him sitting out 6+ weeks for this.....besides he does take a lot of hits and thats all we would need is to bring him back to soon only to have it turn from a fracture to a solid break. No thanks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As usual, nobody outside of the team has any idea of the exact nature of the injury. But I'd be surprised if the fracture isn't treated with an Exogen ultrasonic device that has been shown to speed fresh fracture healing by 40% in many cases. If the normal healing time is 8 weeks for a clavicle fracture, that would mean it could heal in 5 weeks or so. It could be quicker if the fracture is truly undisplaced. So, maybe 4 weeks. I suspect that is the time period we're looking at.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised how little faith everyone has in the coaching staff and Seneca Wallace. I dont see the monday night game as a good example to judge a QB on. Obviously the man did not play very well, he admitted that. His passes were not accurate or well timed. However, he kept his poise and gave the team a chance to win the game. Isn't that what a back-up is suppose to do ? When you lose your starting QB the rest of the team needs to step up. Thats what was missing. We had our chance to win the game and couldnt get it done. The last thing we need is a rookie QB. Oh yee of little faith....

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm surprised how little faith everyone has in the coaching staff and Seneca Wallace. I dont see the monday night game as a good example to judge a QB on. Obviously the man did not play very well, he admitted that. His passes were not accurate or well timed. However, he kept his poise and gave the team a chance to win the game. Isn't that what a back-up is suppose to do ? When you lose your starting QB the rest of the team needs to step up. Thats what was missing. We had our chance to win the game and couldnt get it done. The last thing we need is a rookie QB. Oh yee of little faith....

When you take a teams General away from it's troops, they lose leadership and direction. This is why I have little faith right now:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WallSe00.htm

You can't sugar coat a turd by putting him in a better uniform....underneath he is still a turd, just frosted now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone else see an issue with promoting Scott Tolzien to the regular roster?
No, because we need a backup and I'm not sure that we have any options that are indisputably better.

Here is a good article about QB development, for all of you that love to say that MM's "quarterback school" sucks. It's not all sunshine and rainbows in the NFL, only in the minds of forum members:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-the-QB-vacuum.html
Why The QB Vacuum?
Jack Bechta
NFL Europe was a real money loser for the NFL owners who funded it. As ticket sales and interest would steadily wane in many of the foreign markets, owners kept the teams playing even after it made no economic sense to keep them operating. However, owners were encouraged to keep the league operating by general managers who convinced them that the league was a great place to develop Quarterbacks. So for that reason along with the promotion of the sport abroad, owners kept fueling the league that cost them millions per year to keep running in order to keep the talent pool of fresh arms deep and polished.

So why is it that a Matt Cassell, a Matt Flynn, and or an Alex Smith will struggle with one coaching regime and then shine with another? Why do some QBs never reach their potential while others, drafted in mid to late rounds sometimes (Brady, Wilson, Warner), surpass the expectation of their draft slot? Why do some offensive systems and coaching staffs keep producing quality backups while others don’t? Why are there so many inconsistencies in the development of QBs throughout the league? I will tell you why. The league and its current roster, practice and off-season rules aren’t structured to help young QBs develop.

The Rosters: I had one GM tell me recently that, “If I get down to my 3rd QB, the season is most likely over”. That’s the attitude of many NFL organizations. Most teams only carry two active QBs into a game leaving the 3rd inactive. Furthermore, the roster gets so tight as it is on cut day, a lot of times promising QBs get exposed to waivers before being placed on a practice squad and thus have to start fresh all over again while the season is underway. Bouncing around from one team to another, one practice squad to another, young QBs get lost in the shuffle and can fall through the cracks.

Turnover: This season, we had about a one third turnover in either a new head coach or general manager. When this occurs the new leadership makes change without ever getting to see some QBs work in person. In todays must win now atmosphere, very few coaches or GMs have the luxury of patience in developing players, especially if the team is coming off of a losing season the year before. Everyone is in let’s save our job mode and not developing QBs for the future. I have a QB client who saw 3 head coaches, 3 QB coaches and two GMs over a 3-year period. Each year was a new beginning with different offenses. The opportunity to develop within a system didn’t exist for this client, as it doesn’t for many.

A limited offseason: I personally feel the new offseason OTA rules and the number of practices are great for the longevity of older players but a killer for young QBs who need field time with their coaches and receivers. Young players develop and make jumps in the offseason. However the new rules limit organized practices with coaches. I believe an adjustment could be made to the rules to allow more 7 on 7 non-contact drills that QBs need. Many QBs are working out in somewhat structured environments but it’s usually not with a qualified QB coach or their own receivers. Logistics, family obligations and cost can make it difficult for young QBs to organize their own offseason with their own teammates. The CBA rules limit on-field contact with coaches.

I’m sure if you gave QBs, coaches, receivers, tight ends and running backs with 3 years or less experience the option of a 3 week dedicated offseason development program with coaches, they would take it in a heartbeat.

Lack of practice reps: We all know that the loss of a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers can spell the end for a team’s Super Bowl chances. When Seneca Wallace stepped in for Aaron Rodgers on Monday night he was admittedly not prepared. Practices just aren’t set up where backups can get ample reps to prepare for a game.

The art of developing, preparing and grooming a young QB takes some time and commitment. Unfortunately, the NFL is just not built to incubate and focus their resources on doing so. As we move forward I believe the NFL and the union should carve out some platforms, roster spots and resources for the development of our future stars.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wallace gave up 4 or 5 sacks because he wasn't smart enough to get rid of the ball, and one (The scramble to the sideline) was a complete and total joke. Any QB not smart enough to realize 0 yards is better than negative yards scares me! And yes I realize it's something Aaron does too at times, but Senecca did it more in a smaller sampling, and he's been in the league longer than Aaron.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to either bring in Flynn, sign a seasoned veteran in the FA market, or start Scott Tolzien who the Packers seem pretty optimistic about.
What evidence do you have that Tolzien is up to the task that Mike McCarthy doesn't? I'm sure if he's the better option he'll start.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. Before we start wrist cutting maybe see how things play out the next few games. Wallace hadnt had a snap since 2011 so Im sure he was rusty as hell. The defense's poor schemes, missed assigments and the inability to make plays when needed was the real gaff in this game..particulary Brad Jones. I say he goes to special teams an Lattimore gets the starting nod. You put up 20 points at home you would hope you would win.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen numerous articles written on this and from what I understand, it doesn't matter if he broke it in half or if he just hairline cracked it, the recovery is 4-6 weeks. Period.

If Rodgers is back for the Lions game, then they are rushing it. Everyone heals differently I suppose, but bone healing time is what it is. There's no way to help it along. It just takes time. For everyone.

The scary part is, and I saw this written too, that they may all be viewing this not as a career or franchise QB threatening issue if he goes out and snaps it clean in half and has to have surgery. He would still be ready to go, fully healthy for training camp next year. So, they may chance it and put him back out there early so long as he can deal with the pain. Not to mention it's his non throwing shoulder.

My only fear is that he is going to try to get back for the Lions game, and that defensive front scares the crap out of me with Rodgers nursing a partially healed collarbone. Dunno, we'll see what happens. Obviously nobody knows at this point. We are all just guessing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen numerous articles written on this and from what I understand, it doesn't matter if he broke it in half or if he just hairline cracked it, the recovery is 4-6 weeks. Period.
All that I can say is that when my buddy got his butt kicked in his early 20s, he could barely move his upper body for weeks and was in tremendous pain...self-medicinally-medicated if I remember right :whistling:. Rodgers jogged without wincing into the locker room on Monday night. Yesterday he was going through all of the throwing motions, mirroring Seneca Wallace in practice, but without throwing the actual ball.

I think that the guy is ahead of the curve but I guess that we'll see.

OP
OP
Bensalama21
Reaction score
BREAKING: The Packers plan to work out Matt Flynn in the near future: Date is unknown right now.

Was Matt Flynn sucking it up on the other teams fate for him to come back to the Pack to do well? Time will tell!!!

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's calm down the gloom and doom a bit. Rodgers will be back before the season is over or lost. The injury is to his non-throwing shoulder. Not his passing arm or legs so when he's back he'll be the same old ARod. Maybe by Thanksgiving at Detroit, certainly for Atlanta after that. With Rodgers back in December the team can go on a 4-0 roll; which would bring the Packers up to 9 wins for the year with the 5 they already have. They only need to win one or two during his absence to reach the minimum threshold of 10-11 wins to make the playoffs.

Let's see what Seneca Wallace has with a full week and a couple of games to play. I don't expect him to fill Rodgers' shoes but he could be a good caretaker who won't cost the team games by playing dumb. Mike Holmgren and Mike McCarthy, two coaches who know something about quarterbacks both thought he was worth having on their teams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see what Seneca Wallace has with a full week and a couple of games to play. I don't expect him to fill Rodgers' shoes but he could be a good caretaker who won't cost the team games by playing dumb. Mike Holmgren and Mike McCarthy, two coaches who know something about quarterbacks both thought he was worth having on their teams.

Those are my thoughts

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It'll be the typical stubbornness that does the Packers in, as they'll most likely stick with Seneca Wallace (who couldn't cut it with the Browns). .

2010 he out performed the 3 other q.b with the Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/03/terry_plutos_scribbles_in_my_n_1.html

Article about Wallace going to the Browns in March 2010

Browns coach Eric Mangini has a clear memory of Wallace playing for a Seattle team coached by Mike Holmgren at the end of the 2008 season -- when the Seahawks beat Mangini's Jets, 13-3. It was a game that cost the Jets a playoff spot. It also was played in the wind and snow, and Wallace was 18-of-25 passing for one touchdown and a 104.6 rating. He had no turnovers, no sacks.
The Jets also watched tape of Wallace completing 20-of-28 passes, including three touchdowns and no interceptions in a 24-21 loss in 2008 to New England.

Holmgren and Mangini have seen the 29-year-old Wallace play enough solid games against good teams to believe he can start.

They like his ability to stay away from turnovers (25 TD passes compared to 14 INTs). In 2008, he started eight games when Matt Hasselbeck was injured, and had 11 TD passes compared to three INTs. He completed 59 percent of his passes, had a rating of 87.7.

Atanas Stratiev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have signed Vince Young as a back-up QB in the preseason. He might not be in his best, but would have been definitely a better option than this crappy man, called Seneca Wallace. We all know Young is experienced guy with many matches as a starter and I`m sure he won`t tremble in tough situations on the field. Plus - not a bad rusher. I was very disappointed we didn`t sign him in the preseason. McCarthy better to choose some regular fan to play while Aaron is injured. I`m sure the result will be the same as Wallace being in the starting role.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Really? But I don`t see him in the roster. And I`m pretty sure that we sent him back after the preseason games.
TT just brought VY in to show that he has the ability to actually draw from resources other than draft and develop. One VY had his picture taken in a Packer uni, he had fulfilled his purpose and was all but gone.

Members online

Latest posts