Official Packers vs Saints thread 2014

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last two times these two clubs faced off it went down to literally the last play of the game before being decided. The Packers stopped the Saints on the goal line as both time and downs expired in 2011 to preserve a 42-34 win. In 2012 the Saints missed a last second field goal allowing the Pack to escape with a 28-27 decision. Expect Sunday night's game to follow suit, except that those earlier games were at Lambeau Field and this one is in N'Awlins where the Saints seldom lose.

This game could be a "pivot" for the rest of the season for the Packers. Win to go to 6-2 at the halfway point and going in to the bye and we could be looking at a 13-3 or even 14-2 season and home field for the playoffs. A loss, while hardly devastating and the expectations would have to be scaled back to more of an 11-5/10-6 year; still enough for the playoffs and probably the division title. It would, however, leave Green Bay with 3 defeats in conference, which could be problematic in an end of the season tiebreaker scenario.

Despite the talk about the Saints not being like the Saints of recent years I don't underestimate them; especially in their home dome. The league and NBC chose this game for its Sunday night showcase for a reason. The fans can count on a really exciting show.

These two tend to mirror each other. Both have explosive offenses, led by elite, premier all-pro quarterbacks. Both have won a Super Bowl in recent memory. Both have been perenniel playoff teams in recent years. And both have suspect defenses that usually draw the finger of blame for defeats and are considered the element that keeps them from the Super Bowl again.

Defense, though, will actually be what determines the outcome of this game. Which one can make the critical stop or force the crucial turnover(s) will be the one that likely wins the game.

New Orleans' defense actually ranks 10th in the league, while the Packers are 26th. But the difference between the two is only about 11 yds per game. The Packers are allowing slightly fewer points (21 ppg-27.5) but have a big edge in turnovers. Green Bay leads the league with 14 and the Packers are plus-10 on the turnover ratio while the Saints have mustered only 4 and are minu-7 in the turnover ratio.

The Packer defense will probably have to pick Drew Brees at least twice in this game, and maybe get a fumble recovery somewhere for good measure, for Green Bay to win this game. It's certainly doable. Brees has been picked 7 times already this season and the Saints have turned the ball over 11 times, compared to just 4 by the Packers.

This game will again go down to the wire and could be an overtime affair. Whoever has the ball last in the fourth quarter probably wins the game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last two times these two clubs faced off it went down to literally the last play of the game before being decided. The Packers stopped the Saints on the goal line as both time and downs expired in 2011 to preserve a 42-34 win. In 2012 the Saints missed a last second field goal allowing the Pack to escape with a 28-27 decision. Expect Sunday night's game to follow suit, except that those earlier games were at Lambeau Field and this one is in N'Awlins where the Saints seldom lose.

This game could be a "pivot" for the rest of the season for the Packers. Win to go to 6-2 at the halfway point and going in to the bye and we could be looking at a 13-3 or even 14-2 season and home field for the playoffs. A loss, while hardly devastating and the expectations would have to be scaled back to more of an 11-5/10-6 year; still enough for the playoffs and probably the division title. It would, however, leave Green Bay with 3 defeats in conference, which could be problematic in an end of the season tiebreaker scenario.

Despite the talk about the Saints not being like the Saints of recent years I don't underestimate them; especially in their home dome. The league and NBC chose this game for its Sunday night showcase for a reason. The fans can count on a really exciting show.

These two tend to mirror each other. Both have explosive offenses, led by elite, premier all-pro quarterbacks. Both have won a Super Bowl in recent memory. Both have been perenniel playoff teams in recent years. And both have suspect defenses that usually draw the finger of blame for defeats and are considered the element that keeps them from the Super Bowl again.

Defense, though, will actually be what determines the outcome of this game. Which one can make the critical stop or force the crucial turnover(s) will be the one that likely wins the game.

New Orleans' defense actually ranks 10th in the league, while the Packers are 26th. But the difference between the two is only about 11 yds per game. The Packers are allowing slightly fewer points (21 ppg-27.5) but have a big edge in turnovers. Green Bay leads the league with 14 and the Packers are plus-10 on the turnover ratio while the Saints have mustered only 4 and are minu-7 in the turnover ratio.

The Packer defense will probably have to pick Drew Brees at least twice in this game, and maybe get a fumble recovery somewhere for good measure, for Green Bay to win this game. It's certainly doable. Brees has been picked 7 times already this season and the Saints have turned the ball over 11 times, compared to just 4 by the Packers.

This game will again go down to the wire and could be an overtime affair. Whoever has the ball last in the fourth quarter probably wins the game.

Small error as the Saints' missed FG with 2:49 left and the Packers had to gain a first down to seal it. Wasn't last second.

D

Deleted member 6794

Datone Jones out, Sam Shields doubtful, Morgan Burnett questionable and James Starks probable for Sunday's game.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones out, Sam Shields doubtful, Morgan Burnett questionable and James Starks probable for Sunday's game.

Not surprised to see Shields as being out. This way he will hopefully be good to go after the bye week. Glad to see Starks is fine. Hopefully Burnett can play, he has been doing well and I guess D. Jones has had a setback?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This isnt a "suspect" defense as you called it, its one of the best defenses in the league this season that is extremely under appreciated by everyone including Packer fans.

Packers Defense actually has the lowest opposing passer rating in the league. (74.0) New Orleans is 24th (99.9)

Packers D has the 2nd most ints, NO 24th.

Passing yards per attempt Packers 4th and NO 24th

PPG Packers 9th, NO 28th

Looking at yardage is a terrible way to judge teams, I dont know why it continues to be done. Its so game and situational dependent. If you want to judge a team solely on 1 thing I guess points would be a better indicator as thats how games are judged.

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder why they felt the need to go all the way there to use that particular one?

And doesn't one of the other NFL teams have it's training camp in Wisconsin?
I think it might be the KC Chiefs.
You'd think with all the $$ the NFL brings in each team would have a local indoor temperature controlled contingency practice facility. I ran there as a warm up to use their track one summer and as I approached it occurred to me it was a professional team on the field. There was no advertising this or promoting it like they do with other training facilities(the Redskins practice in Richmond,Va where ive lived and it's a madhouse)
Strange thing is it gets pretty warm up there mid summer, but I guess the humidity is much less. Oh. And it's a sports medicine University so maybe there was a link?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Brees throwing for over 300yds. But I think he will throw 2 game costing interceptions. 31-24 packers win

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

RBs Pierre Thomas, Khiry Robinson and C Jonathan Goodwin ruled out for the Saints.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isnt a "suspect" defense as you called it, its one of the best defenses in the league this season that is extremely under appreciated by everyone including Packer fans.

Packers Defense actually has the lowest opposing passer rating in the league. (74.0) New Orleans is 24th (99.9)

PPG Packers 9th, NO 28th

Looking at yardage is a terrible way to judge teams, I dont know why it continues to be done. Its so game and situational dependent. If you want to judge a team solely on 1 thing I guess points would be a better indicator as thats how games are judged.

I agree. Although the injury report could make it a tough game for the D.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 41
Aints 21

Jordy with 1TD
Cobb with 1TD
Rodgers gets his first TD.
Lacy with 1TD
House with pick-6.

Crosby 2-2 on FGs.

The turnover differential between these two teams on the season is +18 to the Packers. I expect to win the turnover battle by at least +2 and I'm being generous by giving the Saints 3 TDs. They simply aren't very good this year... dome or no dome.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I keep reading on various sports sites how 3 of the Saints losses were by a total of 6 points. Yet no mention that their 2 wins- at home - were a lackluster 20-10 win over the Vikings, and an OT win at home against the Bucs in which they needed to overcome an 11 point 4th qtr deficit to get to OT.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The people at cheeseheadtv are packer fans, but dont always pick the packers. The Saints home record over this year and last speaks for itself.

I guess its the difference between being a realistic fan and a homer.
I am a realistic fan. I believe we will win every week. Why would I not? What's the point of being a die hard who bleeds Green and Gold if your not a homer:cool:

Last edited:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

PPG Packers 9th, NO 28th

And yet you think the Saints will win:whistling: Just a Homer sayin.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think the homers who don't take the saints seriously and expect an automatic win are very very foolish.
And who said I expected and automatic win. I expect and hope for a hard fought game that goes down to the last second. But I believe we will win. If that's a "Homer" then so be it.

GO PACK!!!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who said I expected and automatic win. I expect and hope for a hard fought game that goes down to the last second. But I believe we will win. If that's a "Homer" then so be it.

GO PACK!!!!!

Never said you, it was in reference to the original post you seem to be obsessing over, but hey, if the shoe fits...

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My buddy is a Pats fan and I always bring this up when we get to arguing. You can't tell me that having tape on a teams isn't worth a few points. Every one of their Super Bowl wins was by how many points? 3. Not one blow out or even a 10 point margin. 3 points was the margin of "victory" in every single SB win and to this day that doesn't sit well with me. Who knows, maybe it's just Belichick's attitude or the fact that I think Brady is a good but not great (or all timer at least) field general. I grew tired of hearing all of the out of the blue Pat fans as well as the pedestal they were placed on by the 4 letter network among others. Hey, they have the hardware so you can't take that away from them but like I said to this day every single one of those titles has a certain stench to them.

Realcaliforniacheese I am curious to know why you hit the disagree button? I read some of your posts later in the thread but was just wondering. I am assuming you are basing your dislike of my comment on the fact you believe BB had no knowledge whatsoever that his team was in possession of tape on other teams? We all have a right to our own beliefs but I just find it hard to believe that a control freak like The Hoodie had no clue about the tapes. Do you think they had the tapes and viewed/studied them away from BB in some clandestine manner? We are talking about the chance at cementing your legacy and being the kings of the greatest sports league in the world here. Winning the Bowl is something most folks would do anything to achieve. When you have tape in house from which you can learn keys, hand-signals, line checks, formation tendencies, etc. about the team(s) you are playing I find it hard to believe the boss man was completely in the dark about them. Like I said they have the hardware so it is what it is I suppose. With that said I won't go as far as to asterisk them but I sure do think there is a certain odor on them that no amount of Febreze can cover up. Not trying to start a fight or anything my man just curious is all...GPG!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the homers who don't take the saints seriously and expect an automatic win are very very foolish.
I think you're going to have to define the difference in "expecting a win" and "expecting an automatic win." For instance, I fully expect a win, but I don't expect it to automatically happen. I'm not sure anyone does.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Colston is NOT a gamebreaker, that dude so slow. Hes actually faster than in 2012 2013, but this year his traditional role as the slot, or tight split end has been scrapped. He now plays split with cooks as the slot, or as the flanker. And hes basically useless that far from Brees. Colston does not get the seam route anymore because his body cant take that kind of abuse anymore. He was go-to there, now he just sneaks by you every once in a while running digs and deep ins. Hes hardly even sure handed.
All the other wrs are terrible too. Cooks too small, he dont know how to run routes. Meachem is the ghost of Meachem, and all he does is block strong. Stills is nice, but again, hes damn small and will not fight for that ball. We got this beast JMorgan who got a torn ACL2k13 and now hes doghoused. Nick Toon of Wisconsin is a softass slowass thief. Dude stealing money from the Saints, he will not step onto the field. Progame is too fast for him.
But even without Pierre we still got GOOD tailbacks and our interior oline is back in shape to running. The idea on offense should be to ground and pound out the iform with our nice fullbacks. If its a johnson at fullback he has good ballskills and can take a dive or get it swung.
What yall talking about yall defense good though? Cuz yall got bad numbers against the run and thats the idea for the Saints.
And yea defense is spot on. We give a 4-2-5 look. Were stacked at safety got a kid from Canada called Ball who played Rover up there. Does it all just a little slow, hard hitter. He basically plays rover in our defense.
Got a mean d-line that stunts like crazy. If any of our looks generates pressure and yall dont adjust, we stick with that and keep touching the qb.
Couple things. First, welcome to the site. You seem like a pretty level headed guy and you are obviously not trolling by coming on here dropping bombs on our team...props. Second, your team had me SWEATING during this last draft when y'all traded up in front of us in the first round. I could already see HaHa roaming the secondary with Vaccaro for the next ten years but lucky for us your boys went a different direction. I know you have some good safeties but DAAAMN GINA that would've been a dynamic duo making plays together for years to come...whew! I all but had my HHCD jerz on order but when I heard the trade I started freaking a bit. Can't even lie. Lastly I want to talk about Kenny Stills. I've been living in Oklahoma for a long time now and have actually grown to love the Sooners. I watched him play 3 times (in person) at OU and disagree with your statement that he is small. Is he Megatron or Demayius Thomas sized, no. However the kid is 6ft and just shy of 2 bills so he certainly isn't a wee little man by any means. Scouts talked about how he wasn't fast enough or strong enough then he goes to the combine and runs sub 4.4 and puts up a 16 on the bench press which is a pretty decent showing. His calling card at OU was competing for jump balls that now Steelers backup QB Landry Jones was famous for throwing. His main problem is consistency. He will make a spectacular 50 yard grab one drive and drop a gimme 8 yard slant to break your heart on a must have 3rd and 6. If he can grow in the consistency department I think you guys have a solid #2 more likely #3 wideout on your hands. Plus you need a guy that can take the lid off a D and as he's shown (last week being most recent) he can do that pretty well. Look, I hope the kid had a turd of a game against my boys but I guess more than anything I was trying to pump you up on the kind of talent I think this kid can bring to your Saints. I just hope it's a fantastic, crowd pleasing game and of course have full confidence 12 and co will bring their A game under the lights. GO PACK GO!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I couldn't agree more with you on this point. Yards are great for one reason. Fantasy stats. Seriously. There hasn't been one game decided by total yards allowed. Not one! The absolute bottom line is how many points you give up and as long as that number is good I could give a (insert anything here) where we shake out in the total yards debate. Right up there with the most useless, over analyzed stats ever in this guys eyes.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I keep reading on various sports sites how 3 of the Saints losses were by a total of 6 points. Yet no mention that their 2 wins- at home - were a lackluster 20-10 win over the Vikings, and an OT win at home against the Bucs in which they needed to overcome an 11 point 4th qtr deficit to get to OT.
Thank you.
That is very helpful to know and helps me feel better about the Packers chances of winning.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the Packers have been playing, they have a good chance. And yet they are up against a team that does very well at home.
With that in mind, I feel cautiously optimistic yet I plan to pick the Pack.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are playing great. Saints are great at home. Packers' D is excellent against the pass. Saints have a great passing O. Saints' secondary is weak and they will probably be forced to blitz Rodgers. Rodgers can be deadly against blitzing teams. Packers' D is weak against the run, Saints are not a strong running team.

I like the Packers' chances in this one, but never underestimate what Drew Brees can do in the Superdome.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although the Packers defense has played fairly well with the exception of a couple of burps, when I look at the injury report I have my doubts that they will be able to contain the Saints offense in their own house.
Rodgers and company will have to carry the load to win this game.
I think if it's close in the 4th quarter, the Saints win this one due to a Packers defensive lapse.

I certainly hope I'm wrong!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the Packers have been playing, they have a good chance. And yet they are up against a team that does very well at home.
With that in mind, I feel cautiously optimistic yet I plan to pick the Pack.
cautiously optimistic is fair, you could make an argument the Packers are the best team in the league at this point as they lead the league in passer rating differential

Latest posts