Official Packers vs Saints thread 2014

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not worried about this being a "trap game" for the boys. The Saints are no slouch team and they play their best ball by leaps and bounds at home. They have a HOF QB and the most dominant TE going. They are suspect on D but they do seem to play much faster and better when in the Mercedes Dome. I fully expect that they WILL have our full attention and when you throw in the fact that we have a bye after this game I can't see why anyone wouldn't be attacking this game balls to the wall. When we get this dub we will head into the off week with a mark of 6-2 and a ton of time to heal up and prepare for a primetime showdown in our house vs. Cutler and Co. Nov. 9th. This is a huge game and I am more than confident that all the fellas feel the same way. There are no gimmes in this league any more and this team has a bunch of true professionals on it and I will be more than shocked if we come out flat. Bring your A game, catch the rock when Brees gives you the opportunity (and he will...), and protect 12 long enough so our WR's can exploit the huge advantage they have over the Saints rag-tag secondary. 12 in a dome with a defense that is starting to round into form? Yes please. Packers: 37 Saints: 24

Bingo. You nailed it for me. Last week some fans were all up in it with Olson and Newton. I wasn't feeling it and said so. This week, like you said, HOF QB and the most dominant TE by far (Nobody is even in his class). Those two alone make me worried and I never love the idea of playing away in a dome. It seams like we can count on giving up a few big runs on the fast turf and that concerns me.

I would think it'll be lower scoring than most would think because:
I doubt Payton wants a shootout with Rodgers and our offense.
McCarthy has little reason to not continue to mix in the run game more like he's been.
The Packers defense is playing well so there's less reason for Mac to think he'll need a track meet with tons of points on offense.

I'll pick the Packers 20-17. Short of turn-overs, I think it'll be close and lower scoring than people think.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm upbeat about the Packers, and after beating up on a few creampuffs I think that this will be a good gauge of where they are at this point in the season...certainly better than at the start. I'm optimistic but the Saints are good at home. Brees and Rodgers seem to get into shootout mode.

As Owens once said, "Get Your Popcorn Ready."

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Thing with brees so far: looks like his pass has less zip on it and he has lost some accuracy (eyeball test). He didnt look nearly as mobile either. He was basically stuck in nuetral gear for the last drive of the lions game, he looked rattled and confused....very unlike brees. Maybe this is the downward spiral for him? Hopefully for us it is. He made poor throws as well that looked kinda like he just said "F" it and chucked it up.
If we keep up or even add to the amount of QB pressure we have had lately, brees and company are toast.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back when I picked the Pack to go 11-5, this game was one of my projected losses.
Hopefully the Pack will prove me wrong.
I'm feeling better about it going our way.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm upbeat about the Packers, and after beating up on a few creampuffs I think that this will be a good gauge of where they are at this point in the season...certainly better than at the start. I'm optimistic but the Saints are good at home. Brees and Rodgers seem to get into shootout mode.

As Owens once said, "Get Your Popcorn Ready."

The fact that it's at their place is the only reason I think they'd be in it. I don't think it's accurate to call the Packers opponents thus far creampuffs and suggest the Saints are much better.

The Dolphins are 3-3 with a good win against the Pats in the process. The Panthers are in first place. The Saints are 2-4 with the two wins coming against the Vikes and Bucs, arguably the two worst teams in football. The Saints actually got beat by the two win Falcons.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest thing that concerns me- besides the Saints being a very talented team, and being at home where they're much more dangerous- is that I don't believe they're as bad as they've been. In short, I'm hoping they don't have they're breakout game this week.
But as well as our guys are playing- and improving- I think they'll be ready.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Its a tough one to be honest. Weighed out Brees at home = Rodgers in a dome. If our defense can get a turnover or two I feel we can win this, especially if Rodgers can break Brady's record and get 3 TD's and no interceptions. Really I think this game is all about what defense can stop the offense, which is asking a lot of a defense. Really think the Saints are desperate for this one, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints pull a few trick plays and have an onside kick or two.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or the saints could further sink. Sometimes, when your team is bad and doing bad, it goes from bad to worse. The Saints have not had that "wheels have come completely off" type of game yet that is usually associated with these types of seasons that a team with high expectations had.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bingo. You nailed it for me. Last week some fans were all up in it with Olson and Newton. I wasn't feeling it and said so. This week, like you said, HOF QB and the most dominant TE by far (Nobody is even in his class). Those two alone make me worried and I never love the idea of playing away in a dome. It seams like we can count on giving up a few big runs on the fast turf and that concerns me.

Normally I would be scared of Graham, but he´s obviously not completely healthy as he wasn´t able to get open vs. the Lions at all. BTW Olsen had a pretty nice games vs. the Packers with 8 receptions for 105 yards.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
If the Packers are serious about going deep into the playoffs then this is a game they simply have to win. Get the win and go into the bye at 6-2. Finish the practice game on the other side of the bye to go 7-2 then get ready for the 2nd and 3rd toughest games on our schedule by hosting the Iggles and Pats.

This team can go 14-2 but the Eagles game will prove whether or not they're for real IMHO.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally I would be scared of Graham, but he´s obviously not completely healthy as he wasn´t able to get open vs. the Lions at all. BTW Olsen had a pretty nice games vs. the Packers with 8 receptions for 105 yards.

105 yards and 8 receptions is not a shocker to me. Especially since the Packers were so far out in front so early. Of course they're gonna give them a little more of the field underneath at that point.

Did he take over the game? He## no. He's not special by any sense of the word. He frightens nobody.

Let's not get into that again. You can believe Greg Olson is elite if you'd like. I'd love for you to suggest that inside a Chicago sports bar some Sunday afternoon... and see what people that have watched him his entire career might have to say.

D

Deleted member 6794

105 yards and 8 receptions is not a shocker to me. Especially since the Packers were so far out in front so early. Of course they're gonna give them a little more of the field underneath at that point.

Did he take over the game? He## no. He's not special by any sense of the word. He frightens nobody.

Let's not get into that again. You can believe Greg Olson is elite if you'd like. I'd love for you to suggest that inside a Chicago sports bar some Sunday afternoon... and see what people that have watched him his entire career might have to say.

Our TEs have combined for 171 receiving yards this season, so I stick to my word that I would love to have Olsen on our team.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our TEs have combined for 171 receiving yards this season, so I stick to my word that I would love to have Olsen on our team.

lol ... and it has NOTHING to do with the two teams being about as different as two teams could be right? Olson has more yards on that team and THAT proves we would be better with him? THAT proves he's better than anyone we have?

Rashad Jennings, Chris Ivory, Lamar Miller, Alfred Morris, Justin Forsett and Andre Ellington all have more yards than Eddie Lacy. Is there anyone on that list you would take ahead of Eddie Lacy? He## no… so why is that ANY different?

C'mon... let it go. It's times like this that I really wish we had a panel of 20 pro-scouts we could ask questions to. There's no doubt in my mind they would laugh at your Greg Olsen commentary.

D

Deleted member 6794

lol ... and it has NOTHING to do with the two teams being about as different as two teams could be right? Olson has more yards on that team and THAT proves we would be better with him? THAT proves he's better than anyone we have?

Rashad Jennings, Chris Ivory, Lamar Miller, Alfred Morris, Justin Forsett and Andre Ellington all have more yards than Eddie Lacy. Is there anyone on that list you would take ahead of Eddie Lacy? He## no… so why is that ANY different?

C'mon... let it go. It's times like this that I really wish we had a panel of 20 pro-scouts we could ask questions to. There's no doubt in my mind they would laugh at your Greg Olsen commentary.

Yeah, why would anybody want to have the leading TE in receptions and receiving yards this season over a group of Quarless, Rodgers and Bostick??? :rolleyes: You´re making yourself look like a fool.

BTW go back to some articles or videos from last week and take a look at what Packers coaches and players said about Olsen. They´ve a lot of respect for him.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, why would anybody want to have the leading TE in receptions and receiving yards this season over a group of Quarless, Rodgers and Bostick??? :rolleyes: You´re making yourself look like a fool.

BTW go back to some articles or videos from last week and take a look at what Packers coaches and players said about Olsen. They´ve a lot of respect for him.

lmao... I'm looking the fool huh? OK, you are going on record here saying you would rather have Greg Olson than Richard Rodgers? I want to get this one on record.

I notice how you ignored this also - Rashad Jennings, Chris Ivory, Lamar Miller, Alfred Morris, Justin Forsett and Andre Ellington all have more yards than Eddie Lacy. Is there anyone on that list you would take ahead of Eddie Lacy? ....why is that ANY different?! Do you look like a fool that you wouldn't rather have Rashad Jennings than Eddie Lacey?! Well... surely you do because Rashad Jennings has more yards! lol

D

Deleted member 6794

lmao... I'm looking the fool huh? OK, you are going on record here saying you would rather have Greg Olson than Richard Rodgers? I want to get this one on record.

Of course I would rather have Olsen than Richard Rodgers. Everyone in their right mind would.

I notice how you ignored this also - Rashad Jennings, Chris Ivory, Lamar Miller, Alfred Morris, Justin Forsett and Andre Ellington all have more yards than Eddie Lacy. Is there anyone on that list you would take ahead of Eddie Lacy? ....why is that ANY different?! Do you look like a fool that you wouldn't rather have Rashad Jennings than Eddie Lacey?! Well... surely you do because Rashad Jennings has more yards! lol

I think it´s ludicrous to compare me wanting Olsen over our TEs on the roster to getting rid of Lacy for some of the guys you mentioned.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who will be the one to watch for this game?

On offense for us Adams

On defense I say Peppers

Who is yours?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I would rather have Olsen than Richard Rodgers. Everyone in their right mind would.

I think it´s ludicrous to compare me wanting Olsen over our TEs on the roster to getting rid of Lacy for some of the guys you mentioned.

lol...my Lord. OK, it's real simple. YOU suggested that Olson's numbers compared to our tight ends prove he's way better and YOU said I'm a fool for not seeing that. However - I show you Eddie's numbers compared to a bunch of guys but THAT doesn't suggest anything?

You clearly are not on your meds today and need me to spell this out:

YOU CAN NOT ON ONE HAND SUGGEST STATS SHOW EVERYTHING WITH ONE PLAYER AND IN THE SAME POST SUGGEST THEY MEAN NOTHING!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

On offense for us Adams

On defense I say Peppers

Who is yours?
Hmmmm...... Mine is gunna be Ol Jordy nelson due to the saints have been getting burned badly in the passing game.
On defense..... I am gunna say the newbie Ha-Ha has a big game and gets not only a brees pick but some other splash play.

Reaction score
We´re actually first after week 7 with a 74.0 rating.

The offense was actually responsible for 9 of the Lions points with the safety as well. Aside of the second half in Miami and some garbage time scores vs. the Vikings and Panthers the defense has really stepped it up since the start of the second half vs. the Jets.
Thanks for the research guys.
I was just thinking about our D performance because we turned it on 2nd Qtr vs Jets and this is an eye opening stat IMO

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's simple. We have a better defense then these guys. Hit Graham hard and he disappears. Rob Ryan is gonna bring out some "smoke and mirror scheme" to try to get to Rodgers. Need Lacy to run them out of it. Then it's "double move to Jordy" for 60 yards. Were gonna beat these guys. There front seven doesn't scare me. Great "money line game".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On offense for us Adams

On defense I say Peppers

Who is yours?

I said at the start of the season that I'm beyond excited to see teams struggle trying to defend Cobb and Nelson. I just consider both of those guys to be complete studs we can count on.

My one guy on offense would be Cobson. :D ...and it has been since week one.

Defense: Ya, probably Peppers. I'm watching to see if he can continue a high level of play. Not what Bears coaches saw.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If our running game is clicking the offense is unstoppable. It then comes down to who Rodgers wants to make a star that day. If the defense plays like they have been the Saints have no chance. I don't think it matters that it's at there dome and there prime time record at home. This Saints team was all hype. Looking at it closer the Phins have a better team.

If a team doesn't have a dominant "front seven" they have no chance against us unless we give the game away.

JustaLilWhoDat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhhh Oh Here comes the WhoDats...

Wazzam Packers fans!

Looking forward to our match this sunday night and wanted to get some insight as to how best attack yall secondary. Like whats yall gameplan to stop our offense? I know our wrs are really bad, and our tight end doesnt help our run game, and were missing our 3rd down tailback. But our offense is still pretty script, not that yall aint, got love for McCarthy did good things in NO. Brees dangerous though and whats yall plan to blitz all day? I know yall used to do that?
Our plan to stop Rodgers is pretty much blitz all day, kill the head and the body will die. Primetime in the dome they play until after the whistle and visiting qbs gotta blow us out cuz if its a close one we will really sick the dogs on you.

But anyway quality **** in here, what yall think about our garabage wideouts? Who u gone key on?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From McGinn’s analysis of the Saints:
Play-calling coach Sean Payton has a coordinator (Pete Carmichael) but he runs the show. Payton does it all: a myriad of formations early, RB screens, no-huddle, shifting, motion, empty sets, bunches of receivers and frequent chip-blocking. Although the Saints run it well (123 yards per game, 4.9 per carry), Payton is impatient with the run (35.8%). The Saints rank second in yards (437), 10th in points (25.8) and tied for 20th in giveaways (12).
My guess is Payton will be more patient with the run Sunday.
Flamboyant second-year coordinator Rob Ryan is known for exotic pressures that bluff and blitz all day long. According to STATS, the Saints rank seventh in blitz frequency (34.8%). From a 3-4 base, Ryan plays more even fronts with two LBs and three safeties. He employs an "amoeba" third-down look with four big people milling about pre-snap. The Saints rank 21st in yards (373.7), 28th in points (27.5) and tied for 30th in takeaways (four).
Amoeba sounds a little familiar, doesn’t it?

McGinn calls WR Colston a game-breaker and their secondary the weakest link. He reports their opponents passer rating is 99.9. That should have Rodgers salivating if the OL protects him.

Three NFL personnel guys and an assistant coach for a recent Saints opponent favor the Packers by 3-1. The one who picked the Saints (by 3 points) said, “"The dome and pressure to win at home will put the voodoo ghosts in the Saints' favor," he said. "Payton will be all over (Rob) Ryan to eliminate defensive confusion and try to eliminate easy TDs. They do have the ability to create pressure." Except for those voodoo ghosts, I like the Packers’ chances.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-saints-b99374996z1-280009342.html
Like whats yall gameplan to stop our offense?
I don't have all the details, but apparently the Packers have instituted a bounty program to go after Brees. ... Just kidding! I would be interested in your opinion of the column I linked above about the Saints.

Members online