Official Nick Perry deal thread

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely overpaid because there wasn't a ton of pass rushers in this free agency period, but it's still not bad. We only really took a $7 million hit to this year's cap. Let's see what we do with the rest.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap #'s of $5.9, $10.9, $14.7, $14.3, and $13.1. So basically, if he sees the life of the contract he replaces Clay's salary after this year. With my limited knowledge of how NFL contracts work, I think this is a very good deal for the Packers.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The deal is incredibly back loaded it looks like. Cheap this year and next next then spikes a little bit but doesn't balloon till the last two years and only 18 guaranteed. Really it's a 3 year deal that if he's not an all pro we can get out of

All in all a pretty incredible deal for one of the top pass rushers on the market.

Edit: Just saw 20 + his first year. Still any big contract u can get out of if it goes sideways isn't bad

He's getting 20+ in his first year, but his actual cap hit is only $6M in 2017. Til plenty of cap space to play with this offseason if needed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's more than what would have liked, but the way it's structured it doesn't seem bad. If he stays healthy he can earn it all. If he can't, let's hope that doesn't start for a a few years :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're giving 20 mil to Perry next year? and 16 to Clay Matthews? That's crazy. I'm willing to bet at least one of them Misses more than 4 games next season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're giving 20 mil to Perry next year? and 16 to Clay Matthews? That's crazy. I'm willing to bet at least one of them Misses more than 4 games next season.

Perry's cap numbers as per new deal
  • 2017: $6 million
  • 2018: $10.9 million
  • 2019: $14.7 million
  • 2020: $14.3 million
  • 2021: $14.1 million

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
was barely funny when you signed up. The shine has more than worn off that ****. Later

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Perry only has the one year of big time production to his name by virtue of slow development, injury, and inconsistency. However, if some think that for those reasons he's overpaid, I would argue that that's built into his price tag. Look at the EDGE contracts being handed out so far. Jones got just under 17M/season (what Vernon got last year). Andre Branch, he of the career high 5.5 sacks, got 9M/season. At his best last year, Perry was comparable to players like Jones and Vernon. However, the lack of the track record similar to theirs brought a pretty hefty discount. 12M is, IMO, a bargain and much less than I was expecting. If he continues to play like he did last year, it will most certainly look like a bargain contract.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know. I am waiting for captain to tell me his thoughts bc he understands contracts and the cap way better than me

As long as you are not waiting for captain to tell you YOUR thoughts ;)

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I think no matter what we sign guys for it always its always a bit more than we would like but you have to look at more than just the pure numbers. Cap hits, what other players are getting, future cap limits etc. For the next two years it looks like we will be getting him for a pretty decent hit.

The thing is we always say that the cap keeps going up so by the last three years it will look like a bargain (14 mil per year) but when those last years get here and the cap has gone up by 2o million, or whatever, we will still think he is overpaid. I'm sure when Clay signed we all looked at his 2017 hit and said "well, the cap will keep going up so by then it will look like a bargain" and what are we all saying now, "he is overpaid."

We are fans and we always want something better. Besides we need something to talk about until the games start.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not resigning was not an option. That considered and what I expected we made out very well on this. Does confirm for me if Clay doesn't restructure I 100% expect that Clay may never see the completion of his contract but definitely will never see a new deal.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no one thinks this is a bad deal...hmmmmm......
Lets see....it reminds me of AJ Hawk....hope I am sorely wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry's cap numbers as per new deal
  • 2017: $6 million
  • 2018: $10.9 million
  • 2019: $14.7 million
  • 2020: $14.3 million
  • 2021: $14.1 million

Taking a look at these numbers I think the Packers signed Perry to a really good deal. He will have a moderate cap hit over the first two seasons and the Packers can release him saving cap space by the third year of the contract if he doesn't live up to it.

Good job by Thompson and Ball.

H

HardRightEdge

As I've posted in the other thread about Perry only $18.5 million guaranteed though.
"Only" $18.5 mil? LOL

It's a contract with a "who else ya got?" calculation. As with Cobb, they probably had to come close if not match the high offer.

D

Deleted member 6794

"Only" $18.5 mil? LOL

It's a contract with a "who else ya got?" calculation. As with Cobb, they probably had to come close if not match the high offer.

Perry got significantly less guaranteed money than some other players that signed early in free agency. The Packers can save cap space by releasing him after two seasons. In my opinion Thompson was able to sign him to a team friendly team.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry got significantly less guaranteed money than some other players that signed early in free agency. The Packers can save cap space by releasing him after two seasons. In my opinion Thompson was able to sign him to a team friendly team.
Note: Apology if this has been mentioned but, my power has been out.

Absolutely agree!
I live in Bills land and they're paying Micah Hyde 14 mil guaranteed. I like him and will miss him but, he's not Charles Woodson and safety is not the big problem.
I said elsewhere I believe Perry's a budding star and if you're not going to go all out to sign him, what's the purpose of creating and keeping cap space?
I am happy so far.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Cap #'s of $5.9, $10.9, $14.7, $14.3, and $13.1. So basically, if he sees the life of the contract he replaces Clay's salary after this year. With my limited knowledge of how NFL contracts work, I think this is a very good deal for the Packers.
Russ Ball to the rescue! The guy is good.

H

HardRightEdge

So, if he doesn't live up to expectations, you dump him after 2 years having paid $9.25 mil per year? Or if he plays well but with mitigating injury circumstances (see Matthews), then there's a $14.7 mil cap hit in 2018 with what looks like around $2 mil in dead cap, roughly similar to Matthews current status. In a "who else ya got" equation, he could be back and overpaid like Matthews.

It's what the market will bear. But it's not "only" anything.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, if he doesn't live up to expectations, you dump him after 2 years having paid $9.25 mil per year? Or if he plays well but with mitigating injury circumstances (see Matthews), then there's a $14.7 mil cap hit in 2018 with what looks like around $2 mil in dead cap, roughly similar to Matthews current status. In a "who else ya got" equation, he could be back and overpaid like Matthews.

It's what the market will bear. But it's not "only" anything.

What do you expect an outside linebacker coming of a season with 11 sacks in addition to being an excelkent run defender to be paid??? Of course he didn't sign for peanuts but in my opinion Thompson and Ball did a decent job structuring the contract.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts