Official Game Day Thread: Saints @ Packers - 9/8: Win 42 - 34

Who will NBC choose for the Thursday NFL Kickoff?

• Total voters

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you guys think that with NO's rep for questionable late hits on the QB, refs will be extra sensitive and flags will fly? I'm sure MM will have a word with the officiating crew to have them keep an eye on that stuff.

If the pre-season is any indication of how the NFL is telling is training its referees call late hits on the QB this year, there won't be very many calls.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the pre-season is any indication of how the NFL is telling is training its referees call late hits on the QB this year, there won't be very many calls.
Yeah, even with the golden boy Tom Brady.
Suh, former Packer Corey Williams and the Lions threw and smashed Brady around last night like a rag-doll.
Giselle must have been very worried.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised the NFL let them play this one at Lambeau.
Maybe it's just me, but it most often seems like the Pack plays the strong teams on the road.
Cowboys, Eagles, Stealers, Falcons, Pats etc. hardly ever come to Green Bay if at all.
Living next door to Cowboy DE Stephen Bowen for the past 4 years, I can tell you that Dallas has played up in Green Bay for the past 3 straight years! They've appeared there as often as the Bears or Viqueens the past 3 years.
They beat us in 07 (in Dallas), and 08 (GB), but we've gotten them the past 2 years. We don't play em this year, but we do play the Giants, in New York where we tend to win.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys live too close to MN. BTW, I think it's ironic how they do so much whining and it would not surprise me if they get fined more than any other team.

Anyway, I would not worry much about that -- depsite what MN fans say we really don't have that history.

Our D Line is improved. Will Smith looks as good as I have ever seen him. Because he is due for a big bump next year in his salary, I tend to think this is almost a contract year for him. I am not sure what your LT situation looks like, but I am sure they have a plan to keep Rodgers clean.

Check out Bogart's post earlier. He lives in the NO's area and his post was really insightful, but maybe we're wrong about what your scheme was in the NFCC game.

Anyways, I just remembered something funny. Last year during the GB/ATL playoff game, I didn't have time to change and showed up to a packer party decked out in nothing but black and red! It turned out okay I guess... =) Maybe on Sept 8th, I'll wear nothing but black and gold.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out Bogart's post earlier. He lives in the NO's area and his post was really insightful, but maybe we're wrong about what your scheme was in the NFCC game.

Anyways, I just remembered something funny. Last year during the GB/ATL playoff game, I didn't have time to change and showed up to a packer party decked out in nothing but black and red! It turned out okay I guess... =) Maybe on Sept 8th, I'll wear nothing but black and gold.

I have that worked out -- as a hater of all things Falcon, I own no red clothing.

Yeah, I think I commented on Bogart's earlier post - good analysis. Make no mistake, Williams loves to blitz and he has no problem with hits after the ball is released as long as it is within the limitations of the rules. You can go back and see SP chewing Bobby McCray's butt for a late hit during the NFCCG and realize that was not approved. Having said that, they knew all too well that if you put pressure on Favre he will screw up -- which is what he did.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised the NFL let them play this one at Lambeau.
Maybe it's just me, but it most often seems like the Pack plays the strong teams on the road.
Cowboys, Eagles, Stealers, Falcons, Pats etc. hardly ever come to Green Bay if at all.

We played the Cowboys at home last year and we'll play the Steelers in 2013 while the Pats come to town 2014. What sucks is by that time Tom Brady might have retired.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We played the Cowboys at home last year and we'll play the Steelers in 2013 while the Pats come to town 2014. What sucks is by that time Tom Brady might have retired.

I remember Brady just carving up the Packers years ago. It was brutal.

bornnraisedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man Im so amped up for this game!!

GB fans, could you please tell me where Clay Matthews lives so I can gas his house and knock him out for a couple hours :happy0005:

I am really not looking forward to our shaky offensive line having to face him and the Caper's blitz.

Anyway, I look forward this game. Just to get back to some real football. Not a good history for visiting teams getting a win in these openers, im just hoping it is a competitive game that will come down to the wire.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man Im so amped up for this game!!

GB fans, could you please tell me where Clay Matthews lives so I can gas his house and knock him out for a couple hours :happy0005:

I am really not looking forward to our shaky offensive line having to face him and the Caper's blitz.

Anyway, I look forward this game. Just to get back to some real football. Not a good history for visiting teams getting a win in these openers, im just hoping it is a competitive game that will come down to the wire.
If it's the same Clay Matthews of late last year, you don't have to fear it. Sure, he's still a great playmaker, and he'll still get pressures, but if he's still injuried, he won't be able to dominate double teams.

If it's the healthy Clay Matthews of earlier last year, well, not trying to gloat (but doing so already), but be prepared to remove any non-PA 7 step drop, and any risky 5-step drop, from the playbook. Those will not end well for you guys. And forget 4th down. He has a Ray Lewis-esque knack for stopping guys short of the 4th down.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Only six more days to go!

Despite the fact that Packer fans (and Steeler fans) had the shortest off-season of them all, WHY has it seemed that this off-season lasted for fricking ever?

I don't recall having so much anticipation after the '96 season. For some reason, this one has been killing me. Maybe the lock out had an effect.

Six more days. I think I am just going to sleep a lot so it goes faster.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score

I'm excited because it is a primetime game so I will get to see it :) I usually only get to see 6 maybe 7 regular season Packer games a year.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Will Smith for the Saints. Suspended for the Starcaps incident along with Charles Grant and the Williams'.

This is a big loss for the Saints. In addition, earlier last week they cut Alex Brown, another veteran DE. Aubrayo Franklin, a DT they picked up in free agency from the 49ers is also questionable for the game. Looks like we are catching their defense at the right time.

bornnraisedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a big loss for the Saints. In addition, earlier last week they cut Alex Brown, another veteran DE. Aubrayo Franklin, a DT they picked up in free agency from the 49ers is also questionable for the game. Looks like we are catching their defense at the right time.

Yeah man it sucks. We are going into this game with some GREEN guys at DE. 1st round pick Cam Jordan, Turk McBride, and 2nd year UDFA Junior Galette................yikes.

So expect Gregg Williams to send the house.......A LOT.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I have a question please. Is Ingram a sure bet? I know alot of draftniks had the Packers taking him if he lasted that long. Is it possible he's the next Adrian Peterson? I don't know the Saints enough to question their line or if it was just a RB problem. It seems alot of people are imagining New Orleans getting their run game going again. I just don't know enough of them to know if it was the back's problem or the line or a combo of both.
The reason I ask is that the Packers got Grant back and they have this guy named Starks who kind of emerged late last season, oh yea, they drafted a RB too. But nobody is saying they have their ground game figured out.

bornnraisedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question please. Is Ingram a sure bet? I know alot of draftniks had the Packers taking him if he lasted that long. Is it possible he's the next Adrian Peterson? I don't know the Saints enough to question their line or if it was just a RB problem. It seems alot of people are imagining New Orleans getting their run game going again. I just don't know enough of them to know if it was the back's problem or the line or a combo of both.
The reason I ask is that the Packers got Grant back and they have this guy named Starks who kind of emerged late last season, oh yea, they drafted a RB too. But nobody is saying they have their ground game figured out.

Last year we had went through 8 running backs.

Our line was a tad sub par last season, but as far as running the ball they were still good. I can pretty much promise Ingram will not be some Adrian Peterson. he is just not that type of back. He is a ground and pound, tough yardage, type of back. I honestly dont see him getting more than 15 carries, 70 yards in this game. Look for him to be in on a lot of goal line plays and short yardage. He has been solid in pass protection, but Pierre Thomas is still "they guy" when it comes to that. I forsee Sean Payton going with a good 50/50 mix of run/pass. I will say, Ingram is dangerous in the redzone from the little I've seen in preseason and training camp. The guy just has a nose for the end zone, elite vision, and deceptive speed.

The back I'd be worried most about is Darren Sproles. You havent seen much of him in the preseason, but in practice he has been probably the most impactful player. Sean Payton plans to use him in every facet you can think of. Beleive it or not, he is extremely good is pass protection...all 5'5'' of him.

I just fear your guys' secondary. I know you will get pressure on Brees on force him to hit his hot reads, which will open opportunities for picks. I can forsee us going for a lot of rushes and short yardage throws to hopefully open up opportunities down field. But they are pretty patient with long play drives.

Its going to be a tough game, but honestly, I think this game will be more about defense than offense. And I think Green Bay's defense is simply more talented. BUT...I do think Gregg Williams is one of the best at game planning, adjusting, and confusing the quarterback. Most people are expecting a high scoring game, but I feel this game could be very low scoring and come down to who has the best kicker.

With that said, our PK Hartley is hurt, and we have 41 year old Kasay kicking, who shanked an extra point Thursday night.

Gonna be a good game guys....I just can not wait.

bornnraisedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you guys had to point out a weakness in your team (I honestly can not find one)...which would it it be.

For the Saints, I will say our Offensive tackles, outside linebackers, and defensive ends.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you guys had to point out a weakness in your team (I honestly can not find one)...which would it it be.

For the Saints, I will say our Offensive tackles, outside linebackers, and defensive ends.

Offensive line depth, specifically on the left side. Our line hasn't really looked great as a "complete unit" as of yet, and last year they didn't function well til halfway through the season.

Other than that, Right Defensive End and Right Outside LB are not proven yet.

And only other weakness might be special teams coverage (probably our weakest aspect last year). This year special teams returns looks promising, Alex Green and Randall Cobb have looked pretty good.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Last year we had went through 8 running backs.

Our line was a tad sub par last season, but as far as running the ball they were still good. I can pretty much promise Ingram will not be some Adrian Peterson. he is just not that type of back. He is a ground and pound, tough yardage, type of back. I honestly dont see him getting more than 15 carries, 70 yards in this game. Look for him to be in on a lot of goal line plays and short yardage. He has been solid in pass protection, but Pierre Thomas is still "they guy" when it comes to that. I forsee Sean Payton going with a good 50/50 mix of run/pass. I will say, Ingram is dangerous in the redzone from the little I've seen in preseason and training camp. The guy just has a nose for the end zone, elite vision, and deceptive speed.

The back I'd be worried most about is Darren Sproles. You havent seen much of him in the preseason, but in practice he has been probably the most impactful player. Sean Payton plans to use him in every facet you can think of. Beleive it or not, he is extremely good is pass protection...all 5'5'' of him.

I just fear your guys' secondary. I know you will get pressure on Brees on force him to hit his hot reads, which will open opportunities for picks. I can forsee us going for a lot of rushes and short yardage throws to hopefully open up opportunities down field. But they are pretty patient with long play drives.

Its going to be a tough game, but honestly, I think this game will be more about defense than offense. And I think Green Bay's defense is simply more talented. BUT...I do think Gregg Williams is one of the best at game planning, adjusting, and confusing the quarterback. Most people are expecting a high scoring game, but I feel this game could be very low scoring and come down to who has the best kicker.

With that said, our PK Hartley is hurt, and we have 41 year old Kasay kicking, who shanked an extra point Thursday night.

Gonna be a good game guys....I just can not wait.
I guess that was the nexis of my post. I understand that Ingram has talent. I think James Starks has that kind of talent. I know a fan wants to see improvement and you want to think it's immediate but Starks showed some potential last year and you know as well as I that the second year SHOULD be more productive.
I admire the living heck out of Sproles and love his type of play. I think you have to have that type of offense to utilize that kind of player and I believe the Packers and Saints and Chargers are those types of offenses. The trouble I see is that San Diego didn't see it as important to resign him. It's like the used car that's too cheap for the model year, you gotta figure a transmission ya know?
As for your analysis of the game I think you're dead on. This isn't a shoot'em up kind of game. It's the defenses that will dictate the game. I respect that you acknowledge our secondary. Most fans will agree that we think it's the best secondary in the league. Combine that with a superior rush and you have trouble for your offense......
but we don't have the kind of pressure, at least on paper as last year. It remains to be seen if we can generate the kind of inside rush to force errant throws. But yea, we do have the best backfield in the league.
The curious point of this is that regardless of stats, it's going to come down to defensive play to win the game. I have no question in my mind the superior defense is the Packers. But there is always the element of surprise. Good luck and we'll see you in the NFCCG

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can run on us. That's the biggest. Also, I suspect you will be able to hit one or two big screen passes on us.

Our punt & kick coverages are vulnerable.
And our OL has one new starter, and out solid LT seems rusty.

Members online

Latest posts