Official Game Day Thread: Packers @ Chargers - 11/06

Loran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chargers are banged up coming off a short week. I expect this to be close at half but 2nd half I think the Packers win going away.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive lineman Kris Dielman is OUT. he is a critical cog in the machine and not going this week. RB Ryan Mathews most likely not playing and RB Mike Tolbert pulled his groin and will not be up to speed the last replacement RB ( forgot his name) is also injured as well.. a couple key injuries on the "D" side will also not help the bolts so i see the Packers winning this game and going 8-0. No, I will not now nor ever say our team will go X-XX as I do not want to jinx them! Packers 38 Chargers 21 GO Woodson! I look to see the Packers get at least three ints two for scores.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter king picks Bolts over Pack:

Green Bay Packers (7-0) at San Diego Chargers (4-3)
Just when you think you've got it all figured out, the Chargers find a way to steal one from the last unbeaten team in football. My reasoning: San Diego will run the ball well and hold Aaron Rodgers to eight or nine possessions. In the last four games, the Pack has allowed 138 rushing yards per game, and the Chargers have rushed for 130 yards a game. Mike Tolbert, this is your moment.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the Chargers can beat us:

If the Chargers are to beat us, here are some possible headlines we could see Sunday night/Monday morning.
And I won't use the injury possibility.

-Chargers capitalize on Packer miscues, turnovers, hand Packers first loss
-Chargers win thriller as Packer kicker misses FG as time expires
-Chargers swarm Rodgers, sack QB 7 times in 24-20 upset

We are capable of losing to anyone if turnovers go the wrong way. Sometimes, they are a bit lucky, turnovers.

Also, kick & punt returns.... still, I expect Randall Cobb to break one this week!

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the Chargers are to beat us, here are some possible headlines we could see Sunday night/Monday morning.

We are capable of losing to anyone if turnovers go the wrong way. Sometimes, they are a bit lucky, turnovers.

Also, kick & punt returns.... still, I expect Randall Cobb to break one this week!

Actually, we were thinking that we would be the ones to turn the ball over, miss field goals or get sacked by the Packers. This is my first post here, beside the introduction, so I wanted to just say thanks for the opportunity. The confidence level out here, as you might imagine, is not too high right now. We are all sitting around scratching our heads trying to figure out just what the problem is with the Bolts. Sure, injuries are mounting up, but they are on other teams too. Our QB seems to be in a funk, but actually showed signs of snapping out of it last week........ until he botched the snap. Playing the Packers at this particular moment isn't something we believe will be..... uh..... therapeutic.

No matter the outcome, I just wanted to stop by and say "Hi" from San Diego. It will be the first game I have attended since the early 80's when Dan Fouts was the QB. My friends say that I could not have picked a worse week to go. Playing an undefeated team that is on a roll may not be the best thing for my Chargers right now. Hope all of you who come out to San Diego for the game will enjoy yourselves. Hope to see some of you there.

OP
OP
cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, we were thinking that we would be the ones to turn the ball over, miss field goals or get sacked by the Packers. This is my first post here, beside the introduction, so I wanted to just say thanks for the opportunity. The confidence level out here, as you might imagine, is not too high right now. We are all sitting around scratching our heads trying to figure out just what the problem is with the Bolts. Sure, injuries are mounting up, but they are on other teams too. Our QB seems to be in a funk, but actually showed signs of snapping out of it last week........ until he botched the snap. Playing the Packers at this particular moment isn't something we believe will be..... uh..... therapeutic.

No matter the outcome, I just wanted to stop by and say "Hi" from San Diego. It will be the first game I have attended since the early 80's when Dan Fouts was the QB. My friends say that I could not have picked a worse week to go. Playing an undefeated team that is on a roll may not be the best thing for my Chargers right now. Hope all of you who come out to San Diego for the game will enjoy yourselves. Hope to see some of you there.

Hey, are you a visiting forum member from our sister forum, Bolt Talk? If so, what's the mood there about the upcoming game?

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, are you a visiting forum member from our sister forum, Bolt Talk? If so, what's the mood there about the upcoming game?

No, I don't go on Bolt Talk. I am on the Charger Message Board as BoltNut2008, but don't participate a whole bunch. I'm getting a bit old for some of the message board stuff. The mood here among Bolt fans is almost mutinous. Some want to ship Norv Turner out of here on the first leaking boat headed to Oakland. Many of us think that Rivers has had an injury that he's being closed mouth about. That's a possibility, but he wholeheartedly denies it. In my opinion, it's mainly about time catching up with us and our brain trust down at the Bolts head office has done little to re-enforce key positions. Our drafts have been lacking and the GM is not a big fan of free agency. I also agree that Norv is not what I would call a model Head Coach. The guys just seem to be sloppy. The lines (both offensive and defensive) need some new blood. We have a weak pass rush and we can't seem to make a hole for the RB's. On the other hand, the first part of every season under Norv, the Bolts start very slow. Even though our record up to this point has kept us in the lead for the AFC West title, this team just can't seem to get it in gear.

This weeks game is particularly ominous. Very few Bolt fans expect some miraculous turn-around that enables the team to actually win. Most fans chalked up the game with Green Bay as a loss before the season even began, anyway. Rogers is having a huge year and your receivers are tearing things up. My reasons for what little optimism I have, is that when Rivers is in his normal playing condition, they can move the ball quickly and can be nearly as good as the Packers. I'm hopeful that he finally gets back into a rhythm this week. Our Secondary has to also show up on Sunday, and there has to be pressure on Rogers. Otherwise, things could get really ugly for us. I just can't imagine things getting any uglier than they were after the KC game. That was really hard to watch.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoltNut,

You and I (and we have many others) go way back.... I loved the Dan Fouts to John Jefferson year. And then when they traded him to the Packers, the Fouts to Wes Chandler.... Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner. I loved Lionel Little Train James.
Later I loved Gary Anderson when they plucked him from the USFL.

I loved Marion Butts...... the Dolphins with Marino and Chargers with Fouts were my favorite teams other than the Packers.

I loved Brees and LT together, and went to the Raiders@Chargers Sunday night game in either 05 or 06 there... Brees wasn't a "star" yet. Of course, that's why they had drafted Rivers, and why they then let Brees go. But LT was a superstar at that time, and I remember thinking and saying after that game, that to me, Brees was the best player on that field.

That team blew their chance, under Schottenheimer, when that idiot Marlon McCree went ghetto on the game-ending interception of Brady in the playoff game, when the Patriots were the dynasty. Game was over, but he did like Sam Shields and tried to run, when a simple knee-down would have eliminated the Patriots and moved San Diego, who was the #1 seed that year, to the AFC Title game.

I feel for you, and I like the Chargers still. I don't know what's been wrong with Rivers. I know that losing Sproles has something to do with it. Not 100%, but plenty of %.

Marcus McNeil is not an anchor at LT anymore. He's actually looking crappy. That doesn't help.
Gates is not Gates anymore.
Malcolm Floyd looks hurt.
Pass receivers are crucial. They have to get open. If they don't, it can make any QB look bad.

I wonder if you guys would be a team that would consider adding TO.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I do think it's going to be very difficult for the Chargers' D to keep up with our O. I expect the Pack to start off slowly offensively but eventually Aaron will find his groove and the Chargers' D is not gonna like it when he does.

I think Aaron Rodgers is gonna come out and PICK APART the Chargers defense!

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoltNut,

You and I (and we have many others) go way back.... I loved the Dan Fouts to John Jefferson year. And then when they traded him to the Packers, the Fouts to Wes Chandler.... Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner. I loved Lionel Little Train James.
Later I loved Gary Anderson when they plucked him from the USFL.

I loved Marion Butts...... the Dolphins with Marino and Chargers with Fouts were my favorite teams other than the Packers.

I loved Brees and LT together, and went to the Raiders@Chargers Sunday night game in either 05 or 06 there... Brees wasn't a "star" yet. Of course, that's why they had drafted Rivers, and why they then let Brees go. But LT was a superstar at that time, and I remember thinking and saying after that game, that to me, Brees was the best player on that field.

That team blew their chance, under Schottenheimer, when that idiot Marlon McCree went ghetto on the game-ending interception of Brady in the playoff game, when the Patriots were the dynasty. Game was over, but he did like Sam Shields and tried to run, when a simple knee-down would have eliminated the Patriots and moved San Diego, who was the #1 seed that year, to the AFC Title game.

I feel for you, and I like the Chargers still. I don't know what's been wrong with Rivers. I know that losing Sproles has something to do with it. Not 100%, but plenty of %.

Marcus McNeil is not an anchor at LT anymore. He's actually looking crappy. That doesn't help.
Gates is not Gates anymore.
Malcolm Floyd looks hurt.
Pass receivers are crucial. They have to get open. If they don't, it can make any QB look bad.

I wonder if you guys would be a team that would consider adding TO.

With the management we have, TO would never be brought in. It was kicked around on the local message board and it was the consensus of even the fans that it would never happen. A J Smith is not the kind of guy to bring in a player that could end up being any kind of cancer in a locker room that is already ailing. The four points you bring up are very accurate, at least in my own opinion. McNeil has problems with big, physical pass rushers. He is pretty good at times, but struggles to keep the better rushers off of the QB. I believe that Clary, also, has issues on the right side. He got a big contract recently and I'm still wondering why he was so highly valued. Gates has that foot problem and he is obviously not the threat he once was. The jury is still out as far as whether or not he can return to 100%. Even at 90%, he needs to be double teamed, but it looks like he is playing at a much lower level than even that. Malcolm Floyd is like the invisible man at times. He makes one or two "highlight reel" type catches and then disappears for the rest of the day. He's also a bit fragile. Vincent Jackson is a pretty darn good receiver, but there has to be another real deep threat kind of guy opposite him. We have some "holes" to fill, and some shoring up to do this off-season. I could go on and on here, but I think you can see the issues plainly. The national media has gotten involved in our dilemma and the "talking heads" all have an opinion as to what the problem is. In my opinion our o-line is getting older, our draft picks have been too costly and have not produced, we desperately need an outside pass rusher that is effective and we also need another corner. That is a lot to take care of in one off-season, let alone trying to cure the problem half way through the season. It's much much more than a Head Coach. I was a Marty Schottenheimer supporter while he was here and felt it was a huge mistake letting him go. Norv has a good offensive mind, but I can't agree he's the "genius" that the media paints him to be. Much too predictable, and seems to not have the team mentally ready at game time. We have a reputation as a team that always seems to find a way to lose, or underachieve. I just don't think we have ever been the NFL powerhouse that others want to label us. Our best chance for a Super Bowl was that year when McCree got stupid and tried to run back that pick. But even if he had taken a knee, the Chargers were really banged up and would have found it very difficult to put up much of a fight going forward.

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have this feeling in my gut that the Packers are going to shut out the Chargers..........38-0 Packers!! or hold them to FG's only

The Packers may win the game, but I highly doubt the Bolts will get shut out. The way I see things right now, the Chargers need to avoid the 'red zone' and throw for TD's from the 30 yard line going in. Seems like inside the 20's it's like quicksand for them, so the best way to deal with that is to go over it. LOL

I'm thinking that the Bolts will be up for this game. They have taken a real beating by fans and other second guessers of late, and they want to show that they aren't going to just bury their heads and hide from the Packers. Whether or not they are successful at doing this is still a question, however. I think they will make a game of it. Possibly even pulling out to an early lead. I am just wondering if they will be able to adapt to adjustments the Packers will make quickly enough. Once a weak area is exposed, the Packers have far too much ability for the Bolts to hold off for too long. The Packers are a great team and have nothing to prove. The Chargers, on the other hand, have everything to lose and everything to prove. Hopefully, we can pull it off. But, I am a realist and find it hard to see things play out to our advantage. My heart tells me that the score would be something like Chargers 34; Packers 28. My head tells me it could end up being the reverse. Anyway, we should all take the "over" if we are going to bet on anything. ;)

SuperBolts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder, if they actually would have won something had they not fired Marty Schottenhiemer, and kept Drew Brees like he wanted. Now Brees has a Super Bowl ring, and all they can do is shake their heads about i, and on top of that, they let Darren Sproles go to the same team that has Drew Brees, that's how stupid the Chargers organizations is! ***** in only 7 games, Sproles has proved he was a missing link in that offense, they are on fire with him! Did they not learn their lesson when Wes Welker went to New England and LD Tomlinson went to the Jets along with Cromartie? No other team in the last 10 years has got rid of such awesome players and it come back to haunt them, especially Brees lol. Oh yeah, and get rid of a team builer like Marty Schottenhiemer and replace him a loser named Norv Turner that sucks.

The Chargers are the winning laughing stock of the league, once you think they are for business, they show you that they really are steps behind.

I'm not sure why you get your jollies by laughing at the ineptitude of a franchise that doesn't even play in your conference. I'm smelling something in your past that is triggering this emotion. Maybe you used to be a "Chargers fan" and decided to jump on the Green Bay bandwagon?

Based on your comments, it sounds like it should be an easy win for Green Bay. Congrats to you sir!

- Go Bolts

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you get your jollies by laughing at the ineptitude of a franchise that doesn't even play in your conference. I'm smelling something in your past that is triggering this emotion. Maybe you used to be a "Chargers fan" and decided to jump on the Green Bay bandwagon?

Based on your comments, it sounds like it should be an easy win for Green Bay. Congrats to you sir!

- Go Bolts

Oh you wish don't you?

Did you jump on the Chargers band wagon in recent years?

You seem to make assumptions pretty quickly without going through a clear thought process.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Dan Fouts was a better quarterback there if you ask me over Rivers, and Brees was better than him too lol :D

Junior Seau hands down was the best player for the Chargers in their entire franchise i believe.
If Fouts had a defense SD would be sitting on a couple of Lombardi's right now. Rivers is a QB with great skills but he's too emotional. We are going to see polar oposites on Sunday and Rivers is going to be badly outgunned. I was watching my DVR of the Minnesota Game and I was pointing out to my wife in slow mo what was happening on different plays. There was one where Aroge rolled to his right, and just as he threw the ball I freeze framed. He was sideways, his feet were off the ground and he proceeded to throw a 20 yard perfect spiral bullet pass down the field. I am getting chills just remembering it.

We are sooooooooooooooooooooo Damn Lucky. 24th in the draft. Super Bowl MVP, 2011 NFL MVP.

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder, if they actually would have won something had they not fired Marty Schottenhiemer, and kept Drew Brees like he wanted. Now Brees has a Super Bowl ring, and all they can do is shake their heads about i, and on top of that, they let Darren Sproles go to the same team that has Drew Brees, that's how stupid the Chargers organizations is! ***** in only 7 games, Sproles has proved he was a missing link in that offense, they are on fire with him! Did they not learn their lesson when Wes Welker went to New England and LD Tomlinson went to the Jets along with Cromartie? No other team in the last 10 years has got rid of such awesome players and it come back to haunt them, especially Brees lol. Oh yeah, and get rid of a team builer like Marty Schottenhiemer and replace him a loser named Norv Turner that sucks.

The Chargers are the winning laughing stock of the league, once you think they are for business, they show you that they really are steps behind.

Regarding Marty, I also wonder "what if". Not so much regarding Drew. For him, the Saints were the perfect situation where I just don't think he'd have fared as well in San Diego. Remember, if Marty was still here, the pass was an afterthought. Marty loved to run the ball and he didn't care if the opposition knew it or not, he was going to run. I do think that under Norv Turner, Brees may have been able to grow. This is all "shouda, coulda, woulda", however. Our problems at the RB position, including the exit of Michael Turner and Darren Sproles, could be more the result of the ownership wanting to keep LT. Under Marty, LT would either continue to be successful or he would have ended up in the hospital. No running back could hold up to 33 carries per game indefinitely. Sooner or later, something or someone, would have broke.... most likely that would have been LT. We could not keep two RB's on the roster of that caliber and remain under the cap. Far too many contracts were coming due and not everyone could be resigned. Sproles was a casualty of this too. Two seasons under a franchise tag made him too expensive. I think he honestly wanted to stay here, but his best chances to really be successful were in New Orleans. We barely kept under the cap as it was this season. Everyone thought the correct decisions were made but as we can now see, those decisions are being questioned. There are a lot of things that went on over the past few years and every one of them had an affect on the team. Bringing in Norv is seen by many as the main reason for the decline. There has to be some truth to that, but any time you bring in a new coaching system, there is a period of change. The direction of the team went from smash mouthed, in your face running; to a more balanced run/pass combination. In my opinion, where the team became reckless was that the defense was ignored. Merriman was let go and the draft picks ended up busts. Cromartie could not stay here and had to be let go. He is a good corner, but that's it. He repeatedly whiffed on tackles and seemed to be avoiding contact. If it weren't for Revis, the Jets would already be tiring of Cromartie. The Jets secondary is pretty good, but Cromartie is not the reason for their success. My opinion.

BoltNut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fouts had a defense SD would be sitting on a couple of Lombardi's right now. Rivers is a QB with great skills but he's too emotional. We are going to see polar oposites on Sunday and Rivers is going to be badly outgunned. I was watching my DVR of the Minnesota Game and I was pointing out to my wife in slow mo what was happening on different plays. There was one where Aroge rolled to his right, and just as he threw the ball I freeze framed. He was sideways, his feet were off the ground and he proceeded to throw a 20 yard perfect spiral bullet pass down the field. I am getting chills just remembering it.

We are sooooooooooooooooooooo Damn Lucky. 24th in the draft. Super Bowl MVP, 2011 NFL MVP.

I agree. Fouts lacked the defense to keep leads. He could put up 30 points and everyone would wonder if the Chargers could actually hold on to the lead. I'm not sure I would agree about the remarks about Rivers. Yeah, he does get amped up, or emotional as you say, but up to this season it hasn't really affected how he plays. His delivery is totally unorthodox and his passes look goofy at times, but up to 2011 he has been able to get the job done and do rather well. He's not mouthing off to the people in the stands or at Jay Cutler any more..... I kind of miss having Cutler in Denver.... it was kinda fun when he was there. LOL I've seen Rivers throw on the run, off his back foot, up in the air and even on his way down in what looked to be a sure sack, and somehow he completed the pass. I admit that he didn't look "good" doing it, but he did it none the less. Right now, something is not clicking with Rivers. He's capable of great things, but this season he seems to just not be "all there". Can't explain it, got no excuses, he's just misfiring a LOT.

Packer fans are lucky. Favre was great to watch and he really brought something special to the game, but Rogers is the complete package. Not often does a team get two QB's that are HOF type players in a row. Count your blessings.

Loran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@sdutChargers: This is unreal. The Chargers are pumping crowd noise during practice -- for a home game.

@StacyJenson:This airport is FULL OF GREEN N GOLD ATTIRE! I have never seen anything like it!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Regarding Marty, I also wonder "what if". Not so much regarding Drew. For him, the Saints were the perfect situation where I just don't think he'd have fared as well in San Diego. Remember, if Marty was still here, the pass was an afterthought. Marty loved to run the ball and he didn't care if the opposition knew it or not, he was going to run. I do think that under Norv Turner, Brees may have been able to grow. This is all "shouda, coulda, woulda", however. Our problems at the RB position, including the exit of Michael Turner and Darren Sproles, could be more the result of the ownership wanting to keep LT. Under Marty, LT would either continue to be successful or he would have ended up in the hospital. No running back could hold up to 33 carries per game indefinitely. Sooner or later, something or someone, would have broke.... most likely that would have been LT. We could not keep two RB's on the roster of that caliber and remain under the cap. Far too many contracts were coming due and not everyone could be resigned. Sproles was a casualty of this too. Two seasons under a franchise tag made him too expensive. I think he honestly wanted to stay here, but his best chances to really be successful were in New Orleans. We barely kept under the cap as it was this season. Everyone thought the correct decisions were made but as we can now see, those decisions are being questioned. There are a lot of things that went on over the past few years and every one of them had an affect on the team. Bringing in Norv is seen by many as the main reason for the decline. There has to be some truth to that, but any time you bring in a new coaching system, there is a period of change. The direction of the team went from smash mouthed, in your face running; to a more balanced run/pass combination. In my opinion, where the team became reckless was that the defense was ignored. Merriman was let go and the draft picks ended up busts. Cromartie could not stay here and had to be let go. He is a good corner, but that's it. He repeatedly whiffed on tackles and seemed to be avoiding contact. If it weren't for Revis, the Jets would already be tiring of Cromartie. The Jets secondary is pretty good, but Cromartie is not the reason for their success. My opinion.

True word on, but I think Cromartie has an impact somewhere with the Jets.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can the Chargers get that kind of pass rush? Didn't think they could. THey'd have to do a great job disguising blitzes because Rodgers is now recognized as being on a Brady-like level for reading defenses.

Second possibility is more likely. Rivers and the Charger passing game are a high-powerd offense that's sputtered a bit but you can't assume that will continue.

Miscues and an off-day is always a possibility. If the Packers pass offense has a less than normally spectacular day, defensive and running game weaknesses will factor in more.

I do not expect a blow-out and the reason why is because this is almost a do-or-die for SD. If they get beat on Sunday with little to show, that couuld well be the season for them. If they can get it together can come away with a win against the SB champs it turns their season around.

Members online

Latest posts