Official DE Datone Jones thread

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Our first pick in the 2013 draft.
I will update with more stuff of him as I find it.
Scouts analysis - ranked #24 overall
What he brings: Jones blew up at the Senior Bowl and has risen quickly since then. He is a little light, but he plays with leverage and has very active hands. He can win with first-step quickness in the run game and disrupt in the backfield, but Jones must play with better pad level as a pass-rusher. However, he flashes the quickness to win inside and outside as a pass-rusher. How he fits:The Packers really need physical defense ends in this base 3-4 front to set the edge against the run. It seems as if they are playing more nickel and dime schemes with four-man fronts. That requires a player with versatility. Jones is a natural fit at defensive end in the 3-4 and would probably move inside in the four-man front as that one-gap penetrator that they really like. With defensive linemen Ryan Pickett and B.J. Raji in the last year of their contracts, and inconsistency and injury concerns behind them, this unit needs that depth and versatility that Jones brings.4

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height and good bulk for a versatile DE. Has a strong, muscular build. Ran a fast 10-yard split (1.56) but below average 40-yard dash (4.80) at the combine. Has good-sized hands (10') but shorter-than-ideal arms (32.6).
Durability 3 Took a medical redshirt year in 2010 due to a broken right foot injury suffered in summer camp. Had surgery to insert a screw that now holds together his fifth metatarsal. Returned in 2011 and started all 28 games during last two seasons at UCLA.
Intangibles 1
High marks in regards to football character and work ethic. No significant off the field issues to our knowledge. Has a good working knowledge of NFL teams and their schemes. Shows great passion for the game. Gives great effort in the weight room and studying tape. Parents are Shondra Hall and Anthony Jones. Has four sisters and one brother. Grew up in Compton, CA.

Pass Rush Skills 2 Good snap anticipation and initial quickness. Shows ability to consistently penetrate as an inside pass rusher. Also very effective speed-to-power moves as an outside rusher. Relentless in pursuit. Shows good closing burst and explodes through the quarterback when he has a clean shot. Only average lateral agility and athletic ability for LDE. Has a little bit of tightness in torso when bending the edge. Can struggle to be effective when reached. Has quick hands and flashes some violence, but has shorter arms and will struggle to get off of blocks if he doesn't win with initial move.
Versus the run 3 Has a thick trunk. Can set the edge. Quick first step. Quick and violent hands. Does a very good job of locating the ball, disengaging and pursuing. Will make a lot of plays when working down the line and pursuing from behind. Strong upper body (29 reps on bench). However, anchoring versus the run is not his strength when playing inside (as a five-technique in 3-4 scheme).
Versatility 2 Played 5-technique and shade NT in UCLA's three-man front in 2012. Needs to be used properly because he does have some tweener traits. Most effective rushing the QB from the inside but can provide pressure from the edge, as well. As a run defender, his best fit is LDE in 4-3 scheme. Would need to add bulk to frame in order to play three-technique in the NFL and don't think he fits very well as a two-gapping five-technique, so would only fit as a 3-4 DE if scheme calls for one-gapping five-technique.
Instincts/Motor 2 Above average motor. Chases plays all over the field. Rarely 'dogs' it. But see too many times on tape where he elects to become a shot blocker when OL get in position and lock out. Shows good overall toughness.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see him creating chaos opposite side of Mathews and with Perry healthy should be a great year if all stay healthy. Love this choice at first impression

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With his feet and agility I think he'd be fantastic with Matthews on obvious passing situations. He's a natural for running twists and stunts. I really like the pick and I think he's the sort of player we desperately needed on our D-line.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted this guy so I'm happy we got him. We are getting a 6-4 linemen that has a quick launch off the line. I'd love to see us grab one more defensive linemen in round 2/3.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks great. I wish there was a highlight that showed him engaging and beating linemen. All I'm seeing is a lot of him not getting blocked.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could could be, their D-line should be better. However I'm not sold on that CB they picked up, looks like a Cook clone.

H

HardRightEdge

On the bright side, he's a better pass rusher than any D-Lineman we have.

On the downside, he's undersized and suspect at the point of attack as a 3-4 DE. I imagine we'll limit his snaps on run downs to start out. He needs to add some bulk.

Perry, Worthy, Jones...if I didn't know better I'd say we're converting to 4-3. What would we get for Matthews in trade?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the downside, he's undersized and suspect at the point of attack as a 3-4 DE. I imagine we'll limit his snaps on run downs to start out. He needs to add some bulk.

He's not that light, 10 pounds would be plenty for him to fall into the "ideal" range (280->290). I do agree from the longer film above that he'll need some work at playing the run. Could be a scheme thing though. I watched a lot of corners coming off the edge. Maybe they're (UCLA) more like the Phillips, gap-shootin' 3-4?

H

HardRightEdge

He's not that light, 10 pounds would be plenty for him to fall into the "ideal" range (280->290). I do agree from the longer film above that he'll need some work at playing the run. Could be a scheme thing though. I watched a lot of corners coming off the edge. Maybe they're (UCLA) more like the Phillips, gap-shootin' 3-4?

Like you say, he's a gap shooter. It appears they like him for Worthy's spot inside in nickel.

He does not address the Pickett/Raji issue, nor is he a 3 down player on the other side, but I guess that's for 2014 (or the second round perhaps). Improving the D-Line push is a 2013 priority, and Jones should help.

I'm not crazy about this pick, but I like it better than Perry.

Reaction score
You know Ted was thinking "complimentary" and also "Matthews" "Perry" "Raji" "Bishop" all at the same time.

Great great great pick.

H

HardRightEdge

I see where Jones aspires to be J.J. Watt. This is an improvement over the Perry pick...a guy who wanted to play DE.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited to see what he does. Seems like his ability to get into the backfield is pretty awesome. I don't think his size will affect much. He could add 10lbs in the off season. Only first round and I'm already excited for this year

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most sentiments. I like the pick because Thompson clearly got the guy he wanted, but I also had some concerns about his weight and reliance upon his speed. I'm hopeful he's not another Worthy-type guy in that respect.

Here's our more in-depth synopsis about how Jones will fit and a day-2 preview. http://wp.me/p29VCs-hy

Plenty of talent left for Packers to fill out the defense line or safety, and add a WR or TE.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The queens are going to be tough. All 3 pics should start

This Rodell statement should surprise no one. 3 first-rounders means they must be great! :)

In all seriousness, I love what they did, minus the last pick. Not only is Patterson a suspect WR prospect in that he's purely an athlete that hasn't mastered his craft of running routes and being a professional, but they also gave up 4 picks for him!!! Way too much value to give up for him, or any player right there, in my opinion.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come to think of it aren't we starting the season with 4 first rounders we didn't have at the end of last season? That's Perry, Bulaga, Sherrod and now Jones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts