Official Bengals Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since it hasn't been started yet....here goes.

Although we are only 4 games in and sitting at 3-1, I can't help but notice that we got ***** this season having to play all of the teams in the AFC North and the NFC West. Just by the look of how things are panning out, those 2 divisions seem to be the strongest. Hoping that Cincy is 3-1 based on a pretty soft schedule (Bears, Vikings, Jags and Steelers).

Let's hope we start healing up a bit on the injury front and/or Gute can find a few decent replacements. 4 out of our next 5 games are on the road, would be nice to get wins VS Cincy, the Bears and The What the F Football Team before facing the Cardinals and Chiefs.

Reaction score

Although we are only 4 games in and sitting at 3-1, I can't help but notice that we got ***** this season having to play all of the teams in the AFC North and the NFC West. Just by the look of how things are panning out, those 2 divisions seem to be the strongest. Hoping that Cincy is 3-1 based on a pretty soft schedule (Bears, Vikings, Jags and Steelers).

Let's hope we start healing up a bit on the injury front and/or Gute can find a few decent replacements. 4 out of our next 5 games are on the road, would be nice to get wins VS Cincy, the Bears and The What the F Football Team before facing the Cardinals and Chiefs.
Yeah. We’re winning somewhat ugly so if we can clean up a few details we should be ok. I can see us Winning 2/3 between Cincinatti, Chicago and Washington to sit at 5-2.
Then we hit a tough stretch with
AZ, KC, Seattle, MN, LA
Inside of 5 weeks. If we can end up
8-4 we’re in good shape.
After the BYE it’s
Bears ,Ravens, Browns, Vikings, Lions
That part of our schedule doesn’t exactly look menacing.

It all starts looking better with a Bengals victory, they are good but not top tier good. If we go 6-1 or 5-2 we’re in real good shape going into a tough stretch.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It all starts looking better with a Bengals victory, they are good but not top tier good.
We better beat the Bengals! I'm headed to Cincy for the game and have yet to see the Packers lose in person, but then again, this is my first away game. The Bungles are coming off a mini bye, having played last Thursday night. Mixon has a low ankle sprain and is going to be a game time decision probably. I think it was a huge break for the Packers that they didn't have to worry about Claypool and TJ Watt looked a bit slow due to a groin issue, Mixon out or slowed down, would be nice too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This stretch of away games worries me and I don't predict we run the table through them personally...BUT this Cincy game isn't one of my main worries in the run however.

I do however predict our defense will have more of their hands full with this offense than they did with Pitt for sure. Bengals have solid WR options, awesome TEs and I like what Mixon brings to the game. I'm praying Barnes is able to come back and be in there with Campbell because that duo is quite formidable.

GPG!!!

Reaction score
I would offer that the Bengals played essentially the same Steeler team last week and had just 12 1st downs..
(7 passing 4 Rushing 1 Penalty)
GB had 23 against the same Steelers Defensive group.
The Bengals we’re a bend not break Defense allowing 10 points and 3.0 per rush to the Steelers. GB allowed 17 points and 3.9 per rush to the same team.

In 11 drives the Steelers put up 342 yards passing, the Bengals Defense gave them plenty of underneath stuff and N. Harris had 142 all purpose yards vs. 91 all purpose at Lambeau in the same 11 drives. GB did a solid job limiting Harris in general.

Reaction score
Here’s a nice Offensive snapshot against the same opponents in consecutive weeks.
Bengals drives against Steelers last week. Started at field position:Result
Cinci 42 punt
Cinci 36 Punt
Pitt 42. :TD (inherited INT)
Cinci 19 Punt
Cinci 25 : TD
HALF
Cinci 20 :FG
Pitt 19 :TD (inherited INT)
Cinci 32 Punt
Cinci 29 Punt
Cinci 13 Punt
Pitt 35 :End of game(Inherited Downs)
Packers Drives against Steelers.
GB 22 : Punt
GB 36 : TD
Pitt 23 : TD (inherited INT)
GB 16 : FG
HALF
GB 25 : FG
Pitt 40 : TD (inherited shanked Punt)
GB 33 : Fumble
GB 5 : Punt
GB 45 : (Lost on Downs)
GB 25 : Punt
GB 42 :End of Game(Inherited Downs)

We need to limit the “gifts” of allowing beneficial Field position and I think we win this one.

GB 30 Cinci 24

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A little scary in that with Jaire out we can be pressed on deep ball one on one coverage. Our safeties cannot sit back there the whole game. Burrows is more accurate than Ben. And given time we saw what he did to Minnesota. Cincy is also tough on the D line. They were ready for Dalvin Cook. But they have their flaws. The Pack must be ready for another physical game. I expect the Bengals to come out gunslinging.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until we know more about Alexander's Injury, it will be difficult to get a handle on the next game. I for one, only want to see Isaac Yiadom and Shemar Jean-Charles out there in a blowout. Seeing those two getting meaningful snaps yesterday sent a chill down my spine. If they have to go vs Cincy, it could get real ugly real fast. Yiadom couldn't cover anybody in the preseason.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until we know more about Alexander's Injury, it will be difficult to get a handle on the next game. I for one, only want to see Isaac Yiadom and Shemar Jean-Charles out there in a blowout. Seeing those two getting meaningful snaps yesterday sent a chill down my spine. If they have to go vs Cincy, it could get real ugly real fast. Yiadom couldn't cover anybody in the preseason.
Ya mean it makes King look good?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ya mean it makes King look good?
As bad as King has looked at times, I prefer he heals up and gets the start over IY or SHC. We saw SanFran take a beating with their CB's and I think the same with Tampa Bay. Getting down to guys that we're 4th and 5th on the depth chart at any position is troubling, but CB can be game changing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as King has looked at times, I prefer he heals up and gets the start over IY or SHC. We saw SanFran take a beating with their CB's and I think the same with Tampa Bay. Getting down to guys that we're 4th and 5th on the depth chart at any position is troubling, but CB can be game changing.

I'm 100% right there with you, I do not prefer King starting, but I prefer him over Yiadam or SHC at this present time in our franchise's timeline.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm 100% right there with you, I do not prefer King starting, but I prefer him over Yiadam or SHC at this present time in our franchise's timeline.
Yup and I'm a bit surprised a "Bring Sam Shields back" thread hasn't opened. While I didn't watch the second half of the TB game last night, I thought Sherman looked pretty decent in his first game back. Too bad the Packers couldn't get him to GB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and I'm a bit surprised a "Bring Sam Shields back" thread hasn't opened. While I didn't watch the second half of the TB game last night, I thought Sherman looked pretty decent in his first game back. Too bad the Packers couldn't get him to GB.

Sherman just isn't a Packer guy I feel is the reason, but yes he still is easily burned in shallow crosses the way he lays off in coverage anymore but he is better than King I believe - which instantly makes him at worst our #3.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sherman just isn't a Packer guy I feel is the reason, but yes he still is easily burned in shallow crosses the way he lays off in coverage anymore but he is better than King I believe - which instantly makes him at worst our #3.
While I was never a Sherman fan off the field, in his day, he was one of the best on the field. I think his arrest this past summer could have humbled him a bit, so I will be interested to see how that effects his on the field performance. Given that he is now playing for TB, I hope he his play continues to decline. :D

Cincinnati Smeagol

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys! Long-time Bengals fan here. Not here to start problems. You will be the first good (playoff caliber) team the Bengals will play this year. Just curious how we are seen in another (unbiased/non-AFC North) team's eyes. The way I see it is a close game would be our best chance. Rodgers is a mega-stud, no doubt there. I just hope the Bengals would show up and give you a competitive game, win or lose. I'm really excited about this game!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys! Long-time Bengals fan here. Not here to start problems. You will be the first good (playoff caliber) team the Bengals will play this year. Just curious how we are seen in another (unbiased/non-AFC North) team's eyes. The way I see it is a close game would be our best chance. Rodgers is a mega-stud, no doubt there. I just hope the Bengals would show up and give you a competitive game, win or lose. I'm really excited about this game!

With our best to OL and two best LTs out plus our #2 WR, your defense has a chance to slow down Rodgers in all honesty - the question is will or can it do so.

As far as your offense vs our defense, I am fearful of it honestly. A healthy Mixon will make you a both way force which I expect to put up at least 21 points against a defense that has injuries swelling and underwhelming elsewhere. I expect Burrow to have his chance to throw to win if Jaire is out (which I'm betting he is out for a while).

I predict like a 34-27 game that never gets further apart than one score - Green Bay wins but it is tight.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Attachments

• we-hates-the-packers-forever-they-took-the-precious-from-us-again.jpg
    we-hates-the-packers-forever-they-took-the-precious-from-us-again.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 143

Cincinnati Smeagol

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our best to OL and two best LTs out plus our #2 WR, your defense has a chance to slow down Rodgers in all honesty - the question is will or can it do so.

As far as your offense vs our defense, I am fearful of it honestly. A healthy Mixon will make you a both way force which I expect to put up at least 21 points against a defense that has injuries swelling and underwhelming elsewhere. I expect Burrow to have his chance to throw to win if Jaire is out (which I'm betting he is out for a while).

I predict like a 34-27 game that never gets further apart than one score - Green Bay wins but it is tight.
I would have LOVED if Green Bay was at full strength. Our front 4 can put pressure by themselves, but Rodgers knows what's coming. I really don't know how are back 7 will react to a QB of his caliber. At 3-1, I don't put too much stock in the those 4 games as a gauge of our progress. Sure, we can beat teams that have declining/not-so-great QB, but can we compete with stronger ones? This Sunday will tell us if we are progressing in the right direction.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have LOVED if Green Bay was at full strength. Our front 4 can put pressure by themselves, but Rodgers knows what's coming. I really don't know how are back 7 will react to a QB of his caliber. At 3-1, I don't put too much stock in the those 4 games as a gauge of our progress. Sure, we can beat teams that have declining/not-so-great QB, but can we compete with stronger ones? This Sunday will tell us if we are progressing in the right direction.

Regardless of how Sunday goes, the direction of the Bengals as a franchise IMO cannot be argued is heading the right way. At least that is my dime's worth of opinion, that holds a real value of only penny.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Defensively the Bengals got the Packers Offense about the best they could get. All-Pro LT out all season so far, his backup Pro-Bowl LG missed the past two weeks with a bum wheel. OL is starting 2 rookies and 2 development types pushed into the lineup for their first playing time. Held up OK with few major gaffes against two respectable defenses. Speed demon #2 WR has a bad hammy. Still need to outsmart and outplay the reigning MVP who is getting back into his groove after a disastrous season opener.

Offensively the Bengals offense hits the Packers at a very good time. One season starting CB and ILB haven't been released from concussion protocol yet, the other CB blew his AC last game which puts our first round draft pick CB in the limelight. Rush OLB is down for back surgery. Defense is again dependent on offense to build a lead to minimize the opposition's playbook to have success. Same game plan the Packers seem to employ for the past forever.

Reaction score
We are obviously not full strength on Defense with J'aire and Za’darius out of the game and others questionable. Those are in my opinion 2 of our best 3 Defenders for GB. However the NFL has always been about the “next man up” philosophy and every team incurs injuries throughout the season. Fortunately, GB has a pretty adequate spread of D talent with Amos, Campbell, Clark, Preston and Gary leading the charge. Rookie 1st day selection, Erick Stokes success is going to be one determining factor.

Like always, I think it’s any given Sunday. The Bengals have the personnel to Win. This if they can get some help from GB in turnovers or game changing penalty yardage. I don’t think this game is a Packer blowout and it likely an undecided opening 4th quarter, with us limping with injuries and you guys playing at home.

If both teams were fully healthy I’d call this a 2 score GB win. As of today I’d call this just a 3 point GB advantage. You guys should score 20-28 range. We should score 24-31 range

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts