Official Bengals Thread

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Cincinnati Smeagol here's what I think of the Bengals...

Offense:

-Mixon may or may not be able to go next week with his ankle injury. He's a rarity in that he's a true, blue bell cow. He basically has accounted for every single RB carry prior to getting hurt. Their rushing attack is OK when he's playing; I doubt it will be able to do anything of note without him.

-Burrow is more of the same in that he's a low aDOT, high completion % passer. That said, he's been more dangerous than Garoppolo or Roethlisberger when he does choose to take shots: 3 TD and 1 INT when targeting 20+ yards down the field. Despite getting the ball out pretty quickly, Burrow has a surprisingly high sack % (9.3 is 5th highest among full time starters). His interception % (3.7) is 3rd highest among full time starters. Now that said, his TD % is sky high at 8.4% (3rd behind Jameis and Mahomes), though that's a little misleading as his attempts are way down (only 107 so far).

-Rookie Ja'marr Chase has been the reason why those deep shots are effective at times. He's dangerous down the field. He could cause problems with the injuries in the defensive backfield that the Packers are dealing with. Tyler Boyd has been their chain mover, especially with Tee Higgins out recently. Like Mixon, it also seems that Higgins is on the bubble this week. If he can't go, and Mixon is out, then their list of viable targets will be getting pretty short.

-They've played Vs. Vikings, @ Bears, @ Steelers, and Vs. Jaguars and have yet to exceed 24 points in regulation. So bottom line, their offense has been consistent, but consistently unimpressive. They're 21st in points per game (not counting their OT field goal) and 17th in points per drive. Very little about this offense scares me, though it's entirely possible that they have a season-high scoring output against a depleted Green Bay secondary. My main concern would be to keep Chase from creating the explosive play.

Defense:

-The Bengals' defense is off to a great start. They're allowed 18.75 ppg, and no one has exceeded 24. However, they have yet to play a legit offense, outside of perhaps Minnesota (and week one results are by far the least informative). They're also not exactly holding teams below their normal output. The Vikings scored 24 and average 24. The Bears scored 20 and average 16. The Steelers scored 10 and average 17. The Jaguars scored 21 and average 19. So in other words, they basically allow teams to score about what they would normally.

-The run defense in particular has been stout-- 3.7 YPC allowed is 8th best in the league. Their net yards per pass attempt allowed (5.5) is very strong. They're among the league leaders in sacks, fueled mainly by sub-rusher iDL B.J. Hill and ED Trey Hendrickson.

-Despite the fact that they've played mostly bad offenses, I don't think their defense is totally a mirage-- they do have a number of quality players on the depth chart (thinking esp. of D.J. Reader, Logan Wilson, Jessie Bates, etc.). But I do think there's a personnel weakness when it comes to their corners. I don't see a guy on the roster that Rodgers couldn't pick on if he wanted to.

Overall:

I think the Bengals' offense could have their best showing of the season, especially if their weapons are healthy. Green Bay's pass rush has been wanting, and if Savage and Alexander are hurting, they will struggle to cover guys. If Mixon and Higgins are out, they will help the Packers mask their deficiencies. This could also be a game in which the pass rush of GB gets going, just given the poor play of the Bengals' OL.

At the same time, I think the Bengals' defense could easily have their worst showing of the season, given that they haven't faced anything like Rodgers and the Pack so far this season.

Given that they're at home, I could see this one going either way. A finish in the neighborhood of 34-28 would be my expectation (with either team winning).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be a harder game than the Steelers. It could end up being a sneaky loss. Is Boomer still their QB? :D

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Road games in the NFL almost always contain minefields. I'd settle for a W no matter how it comes.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boomer is an announcer now. They have a 2nd year QB who got hurt last year. I heard he was OK in college. He couldn't beat the Bears but might play better against the injury riddled GB defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as King has looked at times, I prefer he heals up and gets the start over IY or SHC. We saw SanFran take a beating with their CB's and I think the same with Tampa Bay. Getting down to guys that we're 4th and 5th on the depth chart at any position is troubling, but CB can be game changing.
It certainly can.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Interesting that a game I had slated as an easy road win has turned into one of our tougher games. The front seven need to SHOW UP to help out on the back end. If they can get pressure, especially if Mixon is a no-go, I think the offense can get going with what they have. Especially with Amari Rodgers stepping up in the blocking game, I think this will be the week he gets a jets sweep look on offense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boomer is an announcer now. They have a 2nd year QB who got hurt last year. I heard he was OK in college. He couldn't beat the Bears but might play better against the injury riddled GB defense.
OK. From LSU? National Championship? Yeah. He was OK.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's an announcer now?!? Wait, what year is this?? I can't even find my hearing horn... :tdown:

Reaction score
Cincy is also tough on the D line. They were ready for Dalvin Cook. But they have their flaws. The Pack must be ready for another physical game. I expect the Bengals to come out gunslinging.
Yeah, that could be seen in Cincinnati limiting the Steelers Run to 3.0 per carry. They were very stingy upfront. GB has a better short passing game and I fully expect our TE’s, Slot and RB’s to get bigger slice of the Receiving Pie in that the 0-10 yard range.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that could be seen in Cincinnati limiting the Steelers Run to 3.0 per carry. They were very stingy upfront. GB has a better short passing game and I fully expect our TE’s, Slot and RB’s to get bigger slice of the Receiving Pie in that the 0-10 yard range.
They were tough against Dalvin Cook as well. But we use a lot more motion and misdirection than either Minny or Pittsburgh. The key will be our rookie line executing under the hostile road environment. They certainly passed the test in Frisco. False starts, blitz pick ups, holding penalties are crucial.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of how Sunday goes, the direction of the Bengals as a franchise IMO cannot be argued is heading the right way. At least that is my dime's worth of opinion, that holds a real value of only penny.
I find it interesting that my second favorite non Packer player (AJ Green) has gone from the Bengals and they are finally, maybe on the upswing. He goes to the team that has my favorite non Packer player (Larry Fitzgerald) and they are looking very good (granted no thanks to LF) If the powers that be deem the Packers unworthy of an appearance in the big game I will be pulling for a Cardinals/Bengals SB. I will add that if it looks like it may happen I hope LF returns and both he and Green get the SB rings they deserve.

I said I find it interesting I never said anyone else would.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why, but I'm really looking forward to this matchup.

I always look forward to watching recent prospects I studied for draft and Cincinatti has a few like Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Trey Hill, McCloud, Shelvin, Sample, Carman, D'Ante Smith, Evans

Honestly Cincinatti drafted a TON of guys I liked for Green Bay or outlined (bolded above guys I was big fan of given right round targeted).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sad to see that this will be a non-televised game for those of us Packers fans in Minnesota, since the Vikings game will be shown instead. Due to a family commitment I can't even go to one of the many Packer bars here, so I guess I'll be listening to Jim Irwin & Max McGee,, errr Larry the Rock and Wayne Larrivee.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sad to see that this will be a non-televised game for those of us Packers fans in Minnesota, since the Vikings game will be shown instead. Due to a family commitment I can't even go to one of the many Packer bars here, so I guess I'll be listening to Jim Irwin & Max McGee,, errr Larry the Rock and Wayne Larrivee.
If you have Skype, I will be at the game.....I can just hold my phone up and let you watch! :roflmao:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Only if you promise to turn it off when you go to the men's room....unless you're one of those Depends fans, in which case it is a moot point
I will have to, what do you think I will be using to hold the phone up that high for you to see? :cool:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers are of a quality as a team that they have a really good shot of winning any game they play.

That said, this kind of feels like a looming loss to me.

There are yet more OL injuries-- Jenkins is questionable and Myers is out.

It's an early start.

They're on the road.

The defense is without its best player.

But then again, I thought they'd lose @SF too, so this premonition shouldn't carry much authority.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are of a quality as a team that they have a really good shot of winning any game they play.

It's an early start.

They're on the road.

But then again, I thought they'd lose @SF too, so this premonition shouldn't carry much authority.
The more thought I’ve given to this game, the more nervous I’ve gotten.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myers is out MLF just said, unless I misheard. Someone please tell me I misheard

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

It's an early start.

They're on the road.

Frankly, I think your premonitions $uck.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's an early start.

They're on the road.

Well. Baldinger is picking the Bengals. Says their D line will shutdown our run game. And Burrows will win an air war with Rodgers. The extra 3 days off helps them. OK. But a great comeback to win against the Jaguars by 3? When have the Jags beat anyone lately. They did beat the Vikings who had 13 penalties and a fumble in OT. And the unimpressive Steelers fell to them. Are we that bad? Are they that good? Tell me Cincy is tougher than Frisco at home. No way. We need to go out and hit them hard.

Members online