Observations for those who couldn't watch the game...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those who were able to watch it, add input for those who couldn't...

Finally, a preseason game that looked like it was supposed to...lots of ugly play, but for a change, some really positive signs...

Sander-GREAT night, great hang time, the dist. on all those punts were in the air (meaning none that were 30 yarders then rolled an extra 10-15)!

Kenny Peterson-stats won't show the way he stepped up. He was the reason for Jenkin's int, I think 2 plays prior he generated a holding penalty and almost sacked Volek...had another strong qb pressure or 2.

I liked what the cbs did...Hawkins...can switch direction and accelerate on a dime, and had phenomenal coverage on his int...stride for stride, turned as the wr was looking up, excellent grab!

Lenon seems to have some great pass defense/coverage ability. Broke up a sure TD lob by grabbing the fbs arm (legally) and had a few other great plays.

....Any other observations (good or bad)....???

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone was saying Thomas played well....what did he do?
(I haven't seen the game other than the highlights)

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't key on Thomas too much...although I did note the difference between him and Carroll when they showed the replays on Ahmad's consecutive penalties. He hand checks them at the line, and then is simply able to run w/ the receiver, can turn his hips...standard stuff. He's just solid and practices the basic fundamentals of being a cb, unlike AC

Personally, I thought Hawkins really stood out, (again, I wasn't watching Thomas as much, however). His int was spectacular, and even on passes that were completed on his watch, he was in the right place, just great throws. He has great speed, can adjust well while the balls in the air, react quickly...he's still a bit of a work in progress, but I"m really excited about him!

Reaction score
How was Klemm and Whitt? From the sounds of it, they both struggled. And how about Thompson and Manning. Nice to know Poppinga showed something, but I still think that for his motor and attitude, he would be better placed at DE. But since the coaching staff knows more than me (or at least I think and hope they do), I will trust their judgement to see Poppinga playing LB.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas was clearly better than Carroll. Thomas stopped a drive with 2 plays and Carroll kept a Titans drive alive with 2 penalties. I think Little and Hawkins will be nickel and dime backs. Collins looked beat but had speed to recover and deflect a pass. When you're good enough as a rookie to make up for your mistakes that's pretty good. He will deserve to wear that 36 in the next couple of years.

Chris Johnson earned his walking papers

For the second day in a Packer Uniform the LB Jenkins did okay and got an INT. Popinga should get cut as no one would sign him on their 53 player squad. PS Popinga. 2 Jenkins on defense is a possibility.

I can't make a call on the DL. Against lesser talent some like Peterson, Lee and Washington showed some life. Did they wait until now or just got to work against camp fodder.

If the DT's don't get off the respirator and show life it will be a long year for Barnett and Packer fans.

Klemm had a starter job lined up. He won't get cut but he is really rusty from not playing much. It is a coin flip if he or Wells starts in Detroit.

Bedell was not up to game speed and had a poor outing. I still think he can make the team but if he is cut it is almost all because of this game.

Clifton and Flanagan both had bad games. Poor Walt Williams. I feel sorry for that guy. He could be the 54th player on the squad.

Guys should get released in groups as the medical staff has to examine them before their release. 5 a day begining with the NFL-E guys like Sam Breeden.

I am more confused about who I would cut than I was before. I may just accept the coaches decisions.

It was sure refreshing to have some defensive stops and turnovers.

Brett suffered the worst injury but I was the most worried when Manning held his knee and it later was described as "muscle cramps"

There are still many questions but over the course of the preseason we learned.

1) Whitticker is better than expected and O'Dwyers experience did not make up for lack of moving out on blocks.

2) A fresh young Montgomery coming in mid season when Hunt or Jackson gets hurt might not be a bad thing.

3) Collins, Hawkins, and Underwood are better than expected. DB overall is a success. Little at little cost also helps.

4) The Roy Manning story will give hope to future undrafted guys coming in.

5) Sander has silenced his critics

The 2006 draft should include at least 2 DT's, a TE, an RB, a T, and a QB(Nall will be gone)

The Packers will throw more than run for awhile. They should run behind Whitticker and Tauscher rather than Klemm and Clifton.

DB's are the most improved group but QB's will have lots of time to throw.

DL is weak spot of team.

Preseason the Packers are 2-2 just like the 49'ers and the Eagles for what little that is worth. Now the coaches will scheme for the Lions. The 10-6 season will be full of nervous moments.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said a lot, Cheez, and as usual I agree with almost all of it.

Good point about Kenny Peterson. He played well, but it was against backups.

You may be right about Chris Johnson earning his walking papers, but I hope they find a way to keep him. Is it possible that they could keep five CB's? Johnson did get beaten deep by Drew Bennett once, but on the TD play his coverage was perfect. Bennett ran a great route and Volek could've hit a postage stamp with that throw. Considering that Johnson missed his entire first two seasons, I'm willing to overlook some mistakes.

Jason Horton will be gone almost for sure, and I have to wonder what he was doing here in the first place. He's small and he's constantly getting beaten in coverage. He didn't play as much last night, which does not bode well for him.

I didn't see much of Manning or Thompson in this game, but once again Paris Lenon looked very good in coverage. When Diggs comes back, Lenon should be our strong side linebacker.

Nick Collins continues to impress, and I like Little better than Roman. He seems to have more of a nose for the ball. Roman already has the job, but if he gets injured there will be no dropoff in quality when Little comes in.

I agree about Thomas vs. Carroll. Thomas is better.

Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt looked rusty. Correction: Grady Jackson looked rusty. Cletidus Hunt just plain sucks. He always has and probably always will.

Mike Flanagan has had a very bad preseason. He looks stiff and awkward out there. I hope he gets better as the season goes on. It could be that this is one of those injuries that takes two years for a player to recover from. Considering Flanagan's history of serious injuries early in his career, he may have a hard time ever getting back to full speed. I'm worried about him.

I thought it was funny how the announcer, Kevin Harlan, went on and on about Brett Favre's injury, like it was a big concern. Hey Kevin, we've watched this guy play every single game for 12 years now, we're not going to worry too much about him tweaking his ankle in a preseason game.

Overall, Cheez, your 10-6 prediction may be a little generous. The Packers have a distinct 8-8 look about them right now. The offensive and defensive lines are both areas of concern, and that's where it all starts. Hopefully those units will come together eventually (right now, they're not even close) and the Pack will win the North again.

Members online

Latest posts