Notebook: Woodson too busy to try out at WR

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From this article it seems Woodson's lack of showint up for OTA's hurt his chances of playing offense which if you remember correctly was a decision making option for him to come to GB instead of TB. Hopefully other players take this as an understanding if you don't show up for OTA's you might miss out on something you desire.
By Pete Dougherty
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Cornerback Charles Woodson didn't help his chances of playing some receiver this year when he chose to skip all the Packers' voluntary workouts this offseason.

When the Packers signed Woodson to a free-agent contract this offseason, Woodson raised the possibility of playing occasionally on offense, and coach Mike McCarthy said he was open to it.

But on Thursday, McCarthy said Woodson had too many other duties to justify working at offense during training camp, and Woodson's skipping of voluntary practices was "probably a factor. But it's his first year in the defense."

Woodson is the Packers' starting left cornerback, and on nickel and dime downs, he has to learn another position because he moves inside to cover the slot receiver, with Ahmad Carroll replacing him at left cornerback.

Woodson also is the Packers' primary punt returner.

"We just felt his plate was full as far as playing corner and also nickel in the new scheme," McCarthy said. "He's played it before, so I don't think the learning is anything he couldn't handle, but he's also going to be our punt returner. That's where we are today, it's not to say we can't do (offense) in the future."

Lights out

Though it hasn't been a major complaint, a couple of receivers said they've had a little trouble seeing the ball late at the night practices because of the temporary lights at Clarke Hinkle Field.

"They're not stadium lights. Stadium lights are high and light the whole stadium," receiver Donald Driver said. "This has some dark spots. You can be running and think you can see the ball, but you really can't."

Driver and Marc Boerigter said they haven't had any drops because of the lighting, however.

"The angle of the lights are kind of at eye level and the corners are kind of dark by the end zone there," Boerigter said. "You have to concentrate more on it. There's been times when you're out there and somebody breaks and the ball's on top of you. But it isn't a big deal."

Kicking it around

The Packers worked out former Minnesota Vikings kicker Paul Edinger earlier this week. Edinger left Green Bay without an offer.

Packers GM Ted Thompson said bringing in Edinger isn't a reflection on a lack of confidence in kicker Billy Cundiff.

"We're fine with the kickers that we have now," Thompson said. "We'll bring in tons of players between now and January. We bring guys in and look at them."

Injury report

New injuries: Tight end Bubba Franks didn't practice because of what coach Mike McCarthy termed "camp swelling." Tight end Zac Alcorn (side) and cornerback Al Harris (elbow) didn't practice, either.

Quarterback Brett Favre did not take part in the morning practice to limit his throws and rest his sore ankles but returned for the night practice.

Returned to practice: None.

Still out: Safety Marquand Manuel (calf), cornerbacks Will Blackmon (foot) and Patrick Dendy (ankle), running backs Ahman Green (quadriceps), Najeh Davenport (ankle) and Arliss Beach (concussion), linebackers Brady Poppinga (knee) and Byron Santiago (back) and left tackle Chad Clifton (knee)

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like McCarthy said, there's too much on his plate right now anyway (OTA attendance or not). They'll gradually let him on the field for some O in the regular season once they see everything else he's capable of. Personally I'd like to see him feel fully comfortable at cornerback again before he does anything else.

I would, however, like to see McCarthy utilize him all over the field on defense in certain schemes. Free safety on third and long, rover when GB is up by a nice margin, nickel sometimes, blitz packages, etc.

I'm really diggin' the Woodson/Harris combo. It'd be even more dangerous if we had a consistent safety we knew would watch over them, but that's only in Philly and Baltimore.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Woodson can once again be an impact player you want him on the field as much as possible. I do like however that McCarthy put an end to the offensive part of his game because he didn't show up for OTA's. What a nice feeling it is to see some degree of accountabliity again. Now we'll see if it helps.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:
Like McCarthy said, there's too much on his plate right now anyway (OTA attendance or not). They'll gradually let him on the field for some O in the regular season once they see everything else he's capable of. Personally I'd like to see him feel fully comfortable at cornerback again before he does anything else.

I would, however, like to see McCarthy utilize him all over the field on defense in certain schemes. Free safety on third and long, rover when GB is up by a nice margin, nickel sometimes, blitz packages, etc.

I'm really diggin' the Woodson/Harris combo. It'd be even more dangerous if we had a consistent safety we knew would watch over them, but that's only in Philly and Baltimore.

When Marquand Manuel gets back on the field lets see what he can do.

wayneweltzin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last time we had a Michigan heisman winner, the Pack won the Superbowl (Desmond Howard). Not saying we should expect that of the Pack and Woodson this year. Sometimes adding someone of his caliber can do some crazy things. I have to agree we should just let Woodson work his way into the system. His talent will help him down the road to be a weapon that he is. The idea of Harris and Woodson at the corner can really help out on bringing mad pressure on the Quarterback. Which has been inconsistant the past couple years. One player does not win a game, but one player can make a whole team better.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think its high time we get over the freakin OTA's man... so what he didnt show up. now let him concentrate on playing corner back .... after all he is a cornerback. with punt returns and learning a new system. just let the man do one thing at a time. not to mention we got our hands full tryin to work out the real recievers and seeing which ones deserve a roster spot. Hang in there Joker... once he gets his first INT all this OTA garbage will be forgotten.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i think its high time we get over the freakin OTA's man... so what he didnt show up. now let him concentrate on playing corner back .... after all he is a cornerback. with punt returns and learning a new system. just let the man do one thing at a time. not to mention we got our hands full tryin to work out the real recievers and seeing which ones deserve a roster spot. Hang in there Joker... once he gets his first INT all this OTA garbage will be forgotten.

The problem Pacnik is that those OTA's were designed to prepare the team for camp. They put stuff in, and it was a time to bring the team together so that at training camp you can begin to fine tune what's already there and you have a foundation for all the other new stuff you're going to put in. It's kind of like being a teammate. You do things for your teammates because you know it will make your team better. So it's not really the offensive side of the ball for Woodson that concerns me, I think already they guy has shown that he can be a bit of a cancer because he's "me first" kind of guy. At least that's the way it appears and it appeared that way right from the start because he didn't do what most quality human beings would do and that is to show up for you team and your teammates. So yeah, it is kind of a big deal and if I were betting man, I'd bet that this lack of team first thing is going to rear it's ugly head more than once.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is nobody remembering Al Harris missing all of them as well?

Or is he everyone's golden boy and we can turn our heads away from that one?

Missing OTAs does not mean the end of the world. I don't care if you don't listen to me, I'm going to say it YET again. The boy can play, he is a very smart and savvy veteran who *trust me* still has the same skills he's always had. He'll pick everything up just fine.

I swear, I try to stay out of it, and boom, the word 'cancer' appears all over again. Just cuz he's a "me first" guy, he's a cancer? Wasn't Harris supposedly holding out? Wouldn't that be a "me first" thing? Oh snap, I forgot, nothing applies to him. What cornerback isn't cocky, and therefore a 'me first' kind of guy? Hell, even good-natured Ronde Barber was going to hold out until he finally got a contract extension. It's the nature of the offseason, and guess what?

The past is the past. OTA's are over. Quit talking about them. He's there now. Al Harris is there now. If you want to live in the past, go call up your ex-girlfriend and tell me how well that goes.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why the over reaction on OTA's in this thread? I only mentioned it as a hypothetical statement, not to get everyone on a tangent about it, jeepers.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mean to overeact to the OTA issue. It was brought up so I addressed it. So let me put it another way. Chemistry sometimes is more important than talent. Sherman knew that better than any other coach I've seen. He encouraged it, he did what he could to build it, because he knew how fragile chemistry is. He found out first hand what happens when you have guys like McKenzie or Walker to don't believe in team first. It can tear a team apart. I agree with everyone who says, who cares, these guys are here now and they're good players. I won't question that. I won't even question their commitment to winning. My only feeling is that on a young team like this, which obviously has some talent, you have to hope that your best players are also your best leaders and that they will lead in the right direction. I've coached high school kids for a long time and I can tell you first hand of the damage that can be done when your best players are selfish and lead in a negative way. That's all I meant by the OTA stuff and you're right, it's time to put it away. Let the season begin.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quoth ~Joker~ "Is it just me, or is nobody remembering Al Harris missing all of them as well?"

Woodson could've helped his cause if he'd just shown up. How hard was that? Harris, same deal. Al Harris may have a legitimate beef with his contract, but he'd've made faster progress securing a new one if he'd simply been there and publicly demonstrated support for the new coaching staff and rest of the team.
No slam against Al, it was probably his agent pulling the no show strings, but there's prudence and there's propriety.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For God' sake, let this guy see a play of two at WR...I don't want to hear whining from this guy...

I'm sick of whiny player stand-offs in GB...

I want this guy happy...

Just give him his plays...and make your point about OTA's elsewhere...

Hopefully that's Mike M's plan.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, exactly. Let him line up at WR a couple times (and run it! lol) and throw his way.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what Woodson brings to Green Bay:

- A feel for the game, the brain and braun of a prototype NFL DB
- Fierceness every time he steps on the field
- Absolute loyalty to his fellow defensive players who go to war with him

Guess what? That's all. If that's not good enough for some of y'all, then you're going to have problems with the cat all year long. He'll look at certain film, but if you want a film freak like Ray Lewis, I guess you'll have to drive to Maryland. He'll answer young guys' questions about the DB positions, but if you want a guy to throw his arm around you after practice and tell you all the ins and outs of the position, then he's not your guy. And if you want a guy who comes to *voluntary* workouts, Woodson is going to *voluntarily* say no and go workout with his own buddies. That's just who he is, and apparently it's rubbing certain fans the wrong way becuz they can sit back in their recliners and tell everybody how to play the game and how to be the upstanding citizen and player we all wish we could be, but have never been in their position in our entire lives, so we don't really know JACK about being in their shoes. All we can do is try to live vicariously through a reporter's or a sportswriter's own opinion, but that doesn't mean he or she is in the right, nor does it mean we all jump on board becuz it's the popular thing to say about a person.

At the very least, let the man breathe so he can make plays. I'm not getting upset, I'm trying my damndest to explain the guy to those who don't quite understand him and may or may not be judging him a little too early. On one hand, we all know he's not a distraction fat mouth like T.O., but then again he's not a saint like Tom Brady. Or should I say, perceived saint through the media, which is where I think Wood gets most of his bad rap from anyway.

When he picks off two Grossman passes and returns one the distance in the opener, then maybe you'll be more inclined to relax your media-fueled, mob-mentality based opinions. But until then, I guess I'll just keep restraining myself until the season starts.

And no, this isn't directed towards any one person.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im telling you joker..... dont get worried.... the second you intercept that first pass from rex grossman. they wont even know what OTAs are.

Members online

Latest posts